Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE will sell your Landmark creations and keep 60% of sales.

TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177

"If a player-created item is selected for inclusion in the SOE Marketplace, SOE will share 40% of the net amount it receives from the sale of the item with the player that created the item."  

Additionally, following is a list of useful third party art tools for helping to create in-game items:

3D Modeling:

Texturing:

UPDATE: It's currently only for US citizens and you need to fill out forms sent to you by their finance department incl. some tax return papers and other things.

UPDATE: According to Station Forum Thread - Joe Shoopack quote SOE will provide a separate toolset for Landmark. 

UPDATE: Forum user Nadia pointed out that SOE is probably using a different sytem for Landmark content

Players will be buying just that -- a template. They will get a blueprint of the item/structure/masterpiece and will have to collect the required ingredients themselves in order to actually construct it. Each blueprint will also clearly state what ingredients are necessary to make the item so players will be informed before the purchase.

Royalties in Landmark will also work a bit differently than in the other titles in SOE's portfolio. We already know that if your item is used in the construction of another that is sold, you receive royalties based on the percentage of your item compared to the whole.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/11/everquest-next-landmark-is-gurps-for-mmos/

Georgeson and Butler have also expanded on Landmark's in-game currency and real money economies, which will touch every aspect of play.

Most notably, SOE's Player Studio will become a cash marketplace for player-gathered resources, plots of real estate on Landmark's servers, and player-designed building templates, which other players can buy and plop onto their land.

I am not interested in creating content, i don't want to create my own game and i am just reporting this and wondering how this is fair.  Does not sound like a good deal to me.

What do you think?

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

You're joking right? How many games allow you to actually make money? Barely any of them.

The fact that you get anything at all rather then just sharing it for free is fantastic.

I don't see how anyone could be upset over this.

If anything we should just be upset creations are paid to begin with, but i guess thats the business model.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Spend a little of your leisure time creating a castle with the tools SOE gives you for 40% of the profit from any sales? Sounds fine to me.
  • slikeytreslikeytre Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Why are they selling your art at such a huge cut? Is this the only place their making any money on the game?  I'm thinking 80/20 to be fair. Without people making things they wouldn't get the sale.
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Be glad they give you anything :D EQ was made for you to have FUN, and for SOE to make PROFIT. Not other way around.

Just LOL :D :D

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Agoden

You're joking right? How many games allow you to actually make money? Barely any of them.

The fact that you get anything at all rather then just sharing it for free is fantastic.

If anything we should just be upset creations are paid to begin with, but i guess thats the business model.

What site are we on again ?

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

sounds great, when you consider:

a: anyone with artistic capabilities can create stuff

b: sony owns the software

c: 40% of anything is actually not bad at all

as someone who more than dabbles in graphics for games, its a fair price man, so deal with it.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177

You are doing 100% of the work creating content, you get 40% of the sales.

SOE does 0% of the work and gets 60% of the sales.

Are you really saying this is fair?

ANY other real money auction house where you sell to other players has a tax of around 10-15% not 60% SIXTY!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Mods keep a lot of games relevant long after devs stop working on them, which helps keep sales up for those titles. None of them see any of that money. A chance for those types of players to see a return on their work is a lot better than most other cases.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Agoden

What site are we on again ?

The site which use brain ... and clearly OP is in different one :)

Originally posted by Tissmogi

ANY other real money auction house where you sell to other players has a tax of around 10-15% not 60% SIXTY!

You would create NOTHING if SOE did not give you game to play. And you would be sitting at your computer fapping cause you are bored .. :D

I dont want to sound rude so .. yes it is fair. I thought we play mmorpgs for fun :)

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

SOE put in 200x the amount of man hours to create the game than anyone will put into making a single item.  Without the game and the tools that were created 100% by SOE you have nothing.  So no you are not doing 100% of the work you are putting inabout 10% if that of what SOE has. 

C

Originally posted by Dogblaster

You would create NOTHING if SOE did not give you game to play. And you would be sitting at your computer fapping cause you are bored ..

I don't really need to know what you do in your free time, but thanks for sharing.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    "Would be sitting at computer fapping cause  bored .. :D"

Great life you have xD

Edit: Sarcasme image

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by slikeytre
    Why are they selling your art at such a huge cut? Is this the only place their making any money on the game?  I'm thinking 80/20 to be fair. Without people making things they wouldn't get the sale.

Pure business.

It's their product, the builder agrees to their EULA, and let's be faif, even if SOE does not offer to share the profit the builder would gladly build for free as 'their creation' would be used in a MMO.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I love that so many people are defending SOE in this like they're doing a good thing because you're using their tools, etc.

In NO OTHER part of the world or industry in the world are the "shop" fees or cut that high.  Whether you're a sculptor using the shop kiln, a hairdresser at a hair solon using their seats, building, etc,  a realtor using an office at re-max, etc

NONE of them have fees that are 60%.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by mrshroom89

SOE put in 200x the amount of man hours to create the game than anyone will put into making a single item.  Without the game and the tools that were created 100% by SOE you have nothing.  So no you are not doing 100% of the work you are putting inabout 10% if that of what SOE has. 

Not sure in which fantasy world you live in but SOE does not provide any of the tools to create content. Without people creating content SOE would have NOTHING to sell (see how that argument bites you in the ass). Here is a list of tools you have to invest in to create content:

3D Modeling:

Texturing:

Anyway, was asking what other people think, not asking to be attacked for my opinion that this is a little bit of a one sided deal.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

They're letting you use their tools to create something, and then are using their systems and influence to sell it.  There is huge precedence in this that has existed for hundreds of years.  It's much like publishers that are well known selling your book for you with their millions of "followers"; they take the lion's share, but you end up selling millions more than you would have by simply standing on the street with the sign "selling this book".  What do you think stores are if not things known by people?  The middle man?   Steam with Indie games? 

When it comes to games and the years it takes, 25%-30% seems to be the norm in terms of taking cuts by stores and the like (even using their own tools).  With publishers (and it depends on the publisher), that cut could be much larger -- especially since they may invest in you prior (or give you the tools) and expect you to make something for them for a cut of THEIR profits.  There's an example in this in Game Dev Tycoon (though their numbers may not be accurate) whereby you only get 8-11% of the the profits if you use a publisher.  Though you typically get more sales and more money if you use them, until you're big enough and have a large enough following to publish your own content.  So if you're getting antsy by the cut margin and don't agree that a publisher should get any cut for publishing within their network, then you could simply say that 30% is from sale with the other 30% being from fees in using their tools to make something that was sell worthy (again not counting that they'll show your creation to the potential millions of players / customers out there and the fees normally associated with such).  With regards to the tools that you're using, if you're speaking of landmark, you have to create the things within their game (I.E. make sure they're able to be placed and characters are able to walk in them); the many troubles it takes for things to work together and the glitches that need to be sorted out to allow the creator to make things is taxing in a video game creation process.

Though ultimately this is a game for fun.  If you want to make money, you can create your own tools and your own game (or hook various other tools together in a working environment).  Then maybe try to get it kickstarted or greenlit on Steam.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

They're letting you use their tools to create something . . . blah blab blah

Nope, there are no SOE tools involved. You like so many others have not even bothered to read the FAQ you just here apologizing for the company for whatever reason i do not fully understand.

... If you want to make money, you can create your own tools and your own game.  Then maybe try to get it kickstarted or greenlit on Steam.

Why would i want to create a game, when i don't even want to create content for another game? I fail to see the logic here. What exactly are you trying to say.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

hahah.

More entitlement.  The alternative is, of course, that you go build your own Landmark game, and sell your stuff.  How does that sound?  Again, you guys want F2P games with no restrictions, which forces these companies to get creative with their money making channels.  You asked for it, you got it.

Luckily there are people who will pay money for this stuff so that the people who don't want to pay, don't have to.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    60% seems a bit ridiculous.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

"We did build this spaceship you know!"

I mean, "they did build the software, the interface, initial assets, bug testing and coding etc" you know.

I get why you are a bit pissed but I think they did put more than 0% into the whole thing.

Also, to your last sentence, that is not a 60% tax. It's their cut.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

hahah.

More entitlement.  The alternative is, of course, that you go build your own Landmark game, and sell your stuff.  How does that sound?  Again, you guys want F2P games with no restrictions, which forces these companies to get creative with their money making channels.  You asked for it, you got it.

Luckily there are people who will pay money for this stuff so that the people who don't want to pay, don't have to.

Where did i say I am interested in creating content for this and where did i say i am interested in making a game.

I am not sure how you would assume that or how this is even relevant to the discussion. I think you are slightly confused and if so i encourage you to read the post again and also read this reply a few more times just to make sure you fully understand it.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Ha ha , they really are clever aren't they , charging us to join alpha/beta ( 100% ) $100 , $60 or $20 , to test out all this. then charge again 60% for selling these creations ? OMG. Well at least some of the people might get some practice by paying , but then they might do a wipe for release :) All fun , I will avoid I think , liked EQOA too :(.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Anyway, was asking what other people think, not asking to be attacked for my opinion that this is a little bit of a one sided deal.

Personal opinion - How could anyone be against this system?

You have SoE selling content you made in a free to play game and giving you a cut of it. Would you rather a Neverwinter Online Foundry type system where you make and upload content for free and maybe just maybe if you are lucky enough players like it and it becomes a featured creation?

On the flip side players who don't like to build/create stuff can choose to just buy station cash and purchase content they know came from a fellow gamer.

How is it a bad system? Do some people really hate SoE that much to call them greedy for rewarding creative players with money for their work in a game that is free to play. You get creative enough with your designs you never have to pay for any cosmetic armors they might release.

Since we are assuming anyways lets assume for example your landmark creation cost $5- $10 station cash(400 points - 800 points or so-not actually sure on value of Station Cash per U.s Dollar) . Is $2- $4 dollars per purchase that bad a thing? Imagine you create a huge fort that numerous players just love and go out and buy. One person buys something you build its nothing to write home about. but a few dozen like your creation and buy it it starts adding up. Soon you have extra station to buy fluff stuff or spend on other SoE games even.

I'm assuming 100% on the last part of my post. I have no knowledge of what players can create as i haven't read up much on it. Can they just create houses and keeps or can they create larger area's like small villages?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Have fun everyone that pays $60 or $100 for this Alpha and then have SOE sell your creations on the Player Market keeping 60% of the sales. There's a sucker born every minute.

"If a player-created item is selected for inclusion in the SOE Marketplace, SOE will share 40% of the net amount it receives from the sale of the item with the player that created the item."  [Source: FAQ bottom of page]

[*] Without People creating content SOE would sell NOTHING, ZERO, ZILCH on their Players Market. [*] No SOE tools are involved in creating content, you need 3DSMax, Maya, Phtosohop and similar to create content.
    I am not interested in creating content, i don't want to create my own game and i am just reporting this and wondering how this is fair.
    Does not sound like a good deal to me. What do you think?

I've said it before, It needs to be inline with other development agreements: 60/40 or 70/30. more ratio to the creator, less to the wholesaler.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development