Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] World of Warcraft: Hands On with Frostfire Ridge

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With Blizzcon 2013 safely behind us, it's time to start looking more closely at World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor. Our team managed some hands on time with Warlords and have some impressions to share. Read on for more before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

What was exceptionally impressive was that the graphics overhaul had been baked into the demo. The new Orc and Dwarf character model were playable and I immediately took the chance to see how they looked. The game has needed a graphical boost for some time. The developers at Blizzard even said that they were happy with how long the original graphics had lasted, but it was time for a change. The Orc I had chosen to play seemed to move much faster and more fluid with the new system. I am used to playing a shaman but the warrior ran perfectly and the attacks jumped off the screen. I did not demo the dwarf to see the difference, but if you watch some of the videos from BlizzCon you will see all of the races updated. We thought Undead looked the best with the new system, but they’re not 100% ready to show off.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's World of Warcraft: Hands On with Frostfire Ridge.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

if only the game graphics  reflected the wallpaper art for WoD.

hopefully these character upgrades in theis expac will do it justice!

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    "it really will test the players" is a wierd phrase to throw in there
  • tehnibitehnibi Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I think this will be the first WoW expansion i just skip.  Garrosh is a terrible character and its just making it worse that hes still the villain 
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I want to defendz the Draenei but want to play as Horde. Arrgh.

Looks good.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by tehnibi
    I think this will be the first WoW expansion i just skip.  Garrosh is a terrible character and its just making it worse that hes still the villain 

Take it your not a fan of the old warcraft games, this x-pac already sounds 100x better than MoP/

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    This expac, everything sounds good except the 20man raiding...wtf.  Your population is decreasing, why make another harder raiding difficulty and increase the group size.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    Originally posted by tehnibi

Take it your not a fan of the old warcraft games, this x-pac already sounds 100x better than MoP/

Why does this expansion sound 100x better than MoP to you? You can't just say stuff like that without justifying it - especially since most people disagree with you.

(Most people disagree with you because, for example, this expansion offers no new game-play mechanics - with the exception of the 'garrison system', which is likely to have no impact on regular game-play).

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Just like the graphics were already dated when the game got release in 2004, the "new" character models will look already dated on release.

At least Blizzard is consistent with some things...

• MaMiiiLMaMiiiL Member Posts: 2
    From my point of view  WoD will be a intresting expansion, i really like the last update of MoP with the siege and all of that.  It is a nice game and still i dind find other games that can offer the same as WoW.  So for ppl that will want to skip this expansion, well good luck with that. I will still gona P2P this game intil a better one is coming out. Have a nice day.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by MaMiiiL
    From my point of view  WoD will be a intresting expansion, i really like the last update of MoP with the siege and all of that.  It is a nice game and still i dind find other games that can offer the same as WoW.  So for ppl that will want to skip this expansion, well good luck with that. I will still gona P2P this game intil a better one is coming out. Have a nice day.

You have written "I can't find other games that can offer the same as WoW." 

What you've written is a 'hanging comparison', i.e. - in what respect is WoW better than what game? You've employed a sales technique that's been banned in the UK for many years because it was used to mislead.

• KillbaneKillbane Member UncommonPosts: 23
    It seems to me that a lot of people are tired of WoW and kind of played out in it. Those people go from game to game searching for that same feeling they got from playing WoW at its peak and loved one aspect or another that kept them coming back for more. The problem is at least for me that no game has really surpassed wow in many aspects. The world pvp zones- had some epic battles and some close victories and defeats. The raids were a blast the dungeons were great and the community was fun. Other games have a lot of this but if WoW was your first MMO its kind of like losing your viginity or trying to forget your first love. While you may find a game that is fun or one you can enjoy and keep playing for years you always think about that first time that epic moment doing whatever it was that brought you that ultimate feeling of pleasure. I say there will be other games you can find it in though WoW has those bells and whistle a lot of us once loved they have been downgraded to much over the years to have a sense of accomplishment. Where blizzard went wrong for most of us is listening to the its to hard crowd so they lowered the bar to where anyone could step over it robbing most people of any sense of accomplishment. Nothing worth playing is easy or has no risk. The harder you have to work for it the better it feels to break the barrier.
    If only blizzard had not swayed it would not be so hard to find 20 people for a raid or even 60 like back in vanilla. People say that they don't like content that requires so many players but those that could accomplish it felt great. Those people built the relationships that made the game worth logging back into even when you didn't really feel like playing to socialize and end up getting into stuff you didn't even know you plan on helping other people do.

Solo play is for off-line players.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Gorilla have lost few pounds, but it is still very healthy and I'm glad to it. :-) Barely can wait for expansion.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    To me ALL expansions were awesome, unique, great, .... Would have hard time to decide if incredible transformation of old world in Cata (where they have however ruined endgame for me), incredible underwater quests other games can only dream about, maybe calming Pandaria with that excotic touch, or .... Maybe, my preffered remain Wotlk but without taking any of the rest anything.