Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LoL is way more popular than WoW

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by syriinx

How does this thread have 19 pages of comments?  My only thought after reading the thread title was 'who cares'

So is Call of Duty.  So is Candy Crush.

MMORPG is not the most popular genre of game, this isnt news.

Because people have fun talking about this stuff. Why else?

Who cares? All the people who chip it to make this 19 pages of comments. You care enough to post, didn't you?

MMORPG is clearly not the most popular genre of games, not even online pvp games, now. It is fun to add some real facts, and have a long discussion. Can I expect you to post more?

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Dontneed
    so eventually make kids think as if  'esports' is same as real sports.

Not only kids. The US govt agrees that e-sport is same as real sports and e-athletes can be classified as athletes for visa purposes.

And if olympics recognize e-sport .. what more do you need?

They're not athletes.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    LoL giving credence to e-sports is a complete joke. Sc2 is an esport. Quake live is an esport. These are players that have obvious inherent talent at what they do. Quake players have incredible accuracy and a strong sense of timing. Sc2 players have a similar level of accuracy and also a ridiculous amount of mental capacity for multitasking.

You watch a LoL "pro" and you couldn't tell the difference between his mechanics and somebody in diamond. It's a joke of an esport.
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Dontneed
    so eventually make kids think as if  'esports' is same as real sports.

Not only kids. The US govt agrees that e-sport is same as real sports and e-athletes can be classified as athletes for visa purposes.

And if olympics recognize e-sport .. what more do you need?

They're not athletes.

Says a random guy on the internet, instead of the US govt.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by syriinx

How does this thread have 19 pages of comments?  My only thought after reading the thread title was 'who cares'

So is Call of Duty.  So is Candy Crush.

MMORPG is not the most popular genre of game, this isnt news.

Because people have fun talking about this stuff. Why else?

Who cares? All the people who chip it to make this 19 pages of comments. You care enough to post, didn't you?

MMORPG is clearly not the most popular genre of games, not even online pvp games, now. It is fun to add some real facts, and have a long discussion. Can I expect you to post more?

MMORPG's have never been "the most popular game genre". Ever.

However, you seem to somehow think they were, because you're devoting a lot of time and effort to "proving" that things like LoL and WoT are "more popular". What's your point ?

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

However, you seem to somehow think they were, because you're devoting a lot of time and effort to "proving" that things like LoL and WoT are "more popular". What's your point ?

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said such things.

If i am spending lots of time discussing WoT & LoL, it is because it is fun to do so. What does popularity of MMO has to do with it?

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

MMORPG's have never been "the most popular game genre". Ever.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said such things. He didn't put words in your mouth, you go on and on about that all the time.

If i am spending lots of time discussing WoT & LoL, it is because it is fun to do so. What does popularity of MMO has to do with it? Having read your posts for some time now, it is clear that you enjoy (for whatever reason) pointing out games from other genres that are more popular than MMOs. Where did the desire to switch to backstroke come from? In the OP you actually said with reference to LOL "that is almost 4x wow's sub numbers". The popularity of MMOs was the very essence of this thread.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Sukiyaki
    Originally posted by Vidir

Ok sure, but I bet Blizz wow makes more cash than lol.

I would step back from that gamble.

Tencent's online games (LoL included of course) currently earns 6x times as much as Blizzard with WoW.

And LoL is their flagship title.

Not surprising. WOW is a very old game. I am surprised it lasted this long and still have millions of subs.

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

I started playing LoL and i am currently in lv 12. I had a big positive surprise. The game is very entertaining and i am planning play it until a good sandbox mmorpg come to the west. It's the first F2P game where i spent money!  :o

I was worried about the community, but until now, i have seen fewer bad behavior from it than WoW's. I received and saw (jn average) more insults and rude behavior in a WoW's dungeon run than in 5 LoL's matches. 

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Not sure what the purpose of this thread is. I'm sure there are many games that have more players than WoW... but they're all games where the amount of players don't really matter. A game like LoL wouldn't be any different if there were only a couple thousand players because it doesn't really depend on many people like games like WoW. I'm willing to be games like CoD and BF have more players than WoW too.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/18/league-of-legends-infographic-highlights-eye-popping-numbers

70M registered users. Well, you say, do they actually play the game?

32.5M daily active users. That is almost half of the 70M register users play daily. That is almost 4x wow's sub numbers, and not every sub player play wow everyday.

1.3B hours played a month. Divided by 70M. On average each register user plays 18.6 hours a month.

And obviously LoL e-sport is big.

The only question is ... whether LoL is making more money than WoW? Since the daily active users is like 4x of the wow sub number, you only need each person (active daily ones, not register user) to spend like $3.75 a month to beat wow's sub revenue.

Anyone knows what is the average spent of a LoL user?

Grand Theft Auto is more popular than LoL.  Apples and oranges my friend, apples and oranges.

• NinjaGazNinjaGaz Member UncommonPosts: 53

Blizzard must giggle away whenever someone suggests a WoW beater - even in a different genre. It's almost 10 years old and still has 7m subscribers paying a monthly fee.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by nariusseldon http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/18/league-of-legends-infographic-highlights-eye-popping-numbers 70M registered users. Well, you say, do they actually play the game? 32.5M daily active users. That is almost half of the 70M register users play daily. That is almost 4x wow's sub numbers, and not every sub player play wow everyday. 1.3B hours played a month. Divided by 70M. On average each register user plays 18.6 hours a month. And obviously LoL e-sport is big. The only question is ... whether LoL is making more money than WoW? Since the daily active users is like 4x of the wow sub number, you only need each person (active daily ones, not register user) to spend like $3.75 a month to beat wow's sub revenue. Anyone knows what is the average spent of a LoL user?    
    Grand Theft Auto is more popular than LoL.  Apples and oranges my friend, apples and oranges.

GTA V sold over 16 million copies. LoL has over 70 million registered players. GTA V is not more popular than LoL.

It has probably made more money though. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by nariusseldon http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/18/league-of-legends-infographic-highlights-eye-popping-numbers 70M registered users. Well, you say, do they actually play the game? 32.5M daily active users. That is almost half of the 70M register users play daily. That is almost 4x wow's sub numbers, and not every sub player play wow everyday. 1.3B hours played a month. Divided by 70M. On average each register user plays 18.6 hours a month. And obviously LoL e-sport is big. The only question is ... whether LoL is making more money than WoW? Since the daily active users is like 4x of the wow sub number, you only need each person (active daily ones, not register user) to spend like $3.75 a month to beat wow's sub revenue. Anyone knows what is the average spent of a LoL user?    

GTA V sold over 16 million copies. LoL has over 70 million registered players. GTA V is not more popular than LoL.

It has probably made more money though. :-)

Yeap.. but does registering for a game mean anything? It is basicly the same as i read a article about GTA V. And with that said both WoW and GTA V can be very well more popular than LoL. To have a LoL Account says nothing. I do have one and i do have one for Hereos of Norrath Account(another F2P Moba).. one game i did not even play the other i played around 3-5 games or 1-3 hours.

The thread title is hyperbolic and the thread as a whole is. Because LoL is not more popular than WoW. And that is the truth.

Btw. does anyone know how many ppl actually have played WoW at one point? Bought it? Both are not neccessary the same thing. Those 7million subscribers are those playing it now. I played WoW Vanilla 9 years ago for a few month.. i am not one of those 7 millions... or the 11 millions a few years ago.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Without my two cents on weather the game is worth the time of day,i will say that gamer's in general tend to be super competitive,so no surprise LOL is more popular than Wow.

The World Cyber games started up way  back in 2000 to pit players competing against each other in the most competitve pvp games such as Quake and Unreal,later Counterstrike joined the fray.

When i joined MMORPG gaming,i had zero inclination to be competitive,i just wanted a co op atmosphere of gamer's helping each other and making friends,i felt no need to be BETTER than the other guy.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

Every place i read says that LoL is the most popular game in the world.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/07/10/how-riot-games-created-the-most-popular-game-in-the-world/

LoL has 70 millions registered players and around 32 millions playing on a monthly basis. 

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Brr.

Didnt read all the replies, did someone mention that people subscribe to wow? LoL players dont have to spend a penny.

I prefer smite and soon heroes of the storm. LoL and dota 2 take too long in slow matches (to me).

Originally posted by Apraxis

GTA V sold over 16 million copies. LoL has over 70 million registered players. GTA V is not more popular than LoL. It has probably made more money though. :-)  
    Yeap.. but does registering for a game mean anything? It is basicly the same as i read a article about GTA V. And with that said both WoW and GTA V can be very well more popular than LoL. To have a LoL Account says nothing. I do have one and i do have one for Hereos of Norrath Account(another F2P Moba).. one game i did not even play the other i played around 3-5 games or 1-3 hours.

The thread title is hyperbolic and the thread as a whole is. Because LoL is not more popular than WoW. And that is the truth.

Btw. does anyone know how many ppl actually have played WoW at one point? Bought it? Both are not neccessary the same thing. Those 7million subscribers are those playing it now. I played WoW Vanilla 9 years ago for a few month.. i am not one of those 7 millions... or the 11 millions a few years ago.

A popularity contest is about numbers of people. LoL has more people than either GTA V or WoW. More "registered copies" and more people playing every day. That means it's more popular.

Popularity - the state or condition of being liked, admired, or supported by many people.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Why are companies spending so much on PVE? I guess they like niche titles teehee.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    Originally posted by FinalFikus
    Why are companies spending so much on PVE? I guess they like niche titles teehee.

Because some of us do more competitive things than sit infront of a keyboard button mashing while screaming at the screen because somebody missed an ult. 

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by Lienhart
    Originally posted by FinalFikus

Because some of us do more competitive things than sit infront of a keyboard button mashing while screaming at the screen because somebody missed an ult. 

Still, it's not as popular. The amount of money it takes to make it popular is staggering. It's also not as good as games that focus on it rather than ease of access in a multiplayer space. It's a lose lose position currently. Opinion obviously.

If they can funnel the hardcore into a mmorpg, it may be worth it. Will be interesting if they can with rts combat instead of diablo combat. teehee.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/18/league-of-legends-infographic-highlights-eye-popping-numbers

70M registered users. Well, you say, do they actually play the game?

32.5M daily active users. That is almost half of the 70M register users play daily. That is almost 4x wow's sub numbers, and not every sub player play wow everyday.

1.3B hours played a month. Divided by 70M. On average each register user plays 18.6 hours a month.

And obviously LoL e-sport is big.

The only question is ... whether LoL is making more money than WoW? Since the daily active users is like 4x of the wow sub number, you only need each person (active daily ones, not register user) to spend like $3.75 a month to beat wow's sub revenue.

Anyone knows what is the average spent of a LoL user?

I'd be curious what the average amount of money spent per user is.  It's still a massive success, but the profit difference may not be quite as big.

I played briefly and didn't like the way heroes were unlocked.  Maybe if I played longer I wouldn't have minded.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

GTA V sold over 16 million copies. LoL has over 70 million registered players. GTA V is not more popular than LoL. It has probably made more money though. :-)  

A popularity contest is about numbers of people. LoL has more people than either GTA V or WoW. More "registered copies" and more people playing every day. That means it's more popular.

Popularity - the state or condition of being liked, admired, or supported by many people.

That the point(definition of popularity) i tried to make. I do have a LoL account, i am a registered LoL user. My state of like and support for LoL is basicly wasting 3 hours of downloading, and a few gaming sessions. I spend not a single cent for LoL. Hell.. i am more supportive to EQN/L with reading articles, watching youtube vids worth more than 3 hours.

With other words for me(a registered LoL user) is EQN(a not even released or in beta game and maybe even crap) is more popular, more liked, more supported from me than LoL where i am a registered user.

And at the same time i wanted to say, that i played WoW(didn't liked it much) for around 7 month.. payed 6 subcription, payed for the box and i am not part of the current subscribtion number. My claim is, that a whole lot of more than 60 million people played WoW more than 3 month, or more than LoL. Or overall, that more people played WoW in comparsion to LoL, and even played it longer, and more important spend actually money for that game. And i am everything but a WoW fanboy, actually even a hater. And i do like Mobas, LoL just isn't my favorite one.

Don't get me wrong. LoL is popular. LoL is successful. LoL made a lot of profit. LoL is for free. But it is not the most popular computer game and it is not more popular than WoW.. yeah.. you can take some numbers and it will look like it. But if you would do a survey and all gamers would take part on it what in there mind is the game which they like the most, is the most popular game for them. With a number of the 50 most important games of the past. LoL would not even be within the top 5, most probably not even within the top 10.

As i said.. registering for LoL does have more or less as much value as reading an article for any other game.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Comparison only works if they are both FTP. WoW would be insaaaaanely more popular if there wasn't a sub barrier.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Yeap.. but does registering for a game mean anything? It is basicly the same as i read a article about GTA V. And with that said both WoW and GTA V can be very well more popular than LoL. To have a LoL Account says nothing. I do have one and i do have one for Hereos of Norrath Account(another F2P Moba).. one game i did not even play the other i played around 3-5 games or 1-3 hours.   The thread title is hyperbolic and the thread as a whole is. Because LoL is not more popular than WoW. And that is the truth. Btw. does anyone know how many ppl actually have played WoW at one point? Bought it? Both are not neccessary the same thing. Those 7million subscribers are those playing it now. I played WoW Vanilla 9 years ago for a few month.. i am not one of those 7 millions... or the 11 millions a few years ago.
    A popularity contest is about numbers of people. LoL has more people than either GTA V or WoW. More "registered copies" and more people playing every day. That means it's more popular. ** Popularity - the state or condition of being liked, admired, or supported by many people.  
    That the point(definition of popularity) i tried to make. I do have a LoL account, i am a registered LoL user. My state of like and support for LoL is basicly wasting 3 hours of downloading, and a few gaming sessions. I spend not a single cent for LoL. Hell.. i am more supportive to EQN/L with reading articles, watching youtube vids worth more than 3 hours.

With other words for me(a registered LoL user) is EQN(a not even released or in beta game and maybe even crap) is more popular, more liked, more supported from me than LoL where i am a registered user.

And at the same time i wanted to say, that i played WoW(didn't liked it much) for around 7 month.. payed 6 subcription, payed for the box and i am not part of the current subscribtion number. My claim is, that a whole lot of more than 60 million people played WoW more than 3 month, or more than LoL. Or overall, that more people played WoW in comparsion to LoL, and even played it longer, and more important spend actually money for that game. And i am everything but a WoW fanboy, actually even a hater. And i do like Mobas, LoL just isn't my favorite one.

Don't get me wrong. LoL is popular. LoL is successful. LoL made a lot of profit. LoL is for free. But it is not the most popular computer game and it is not more popular than WoW.. yeah.. you can take some numbers and it will look like it. But if you would do a survey and all gamers would take part on it what in there mind is the game which they like the most, is the most popular game for them. With a number of the 50 most important games of the past. LoL would not even be within the top 5, most probably not even within the top 10.

As i said.. registering for LoL does have more or less as much value as reading an article for any other game.

Are you being deliberately dense, or do you really not understand what the word "popular" means? More people play LoL every day than play WoW. 32 million people at a minimum are playing LoL. 7 million people at a maximum are playing WoW. Popularity is determined by the number of people who like something. People would not play LoL or WoW if they didn't like it. More people play LoL which means LoL is more popular than WoW.

Your personal opinion on either game does not matter in regards to the popularity of either game. My opinion doesn't matter either. LoL is more popular because more people like the game, which we can tell because more people play the game. That's the survey.

That's 32 million people a month, not a day. Even falling back to the nebulous "active players", there are twelve million active players.

There were more unique viewers for LoL's Season 3 World Championships than there are WoW players.