Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does it sound like a kick starter?

gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
The way they are selling it they make it seem like a kick starter. 

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Could you elaborate on this a little bit?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Sounds like a money grab to me.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140

I have to agree. It sounds as if they are in need of money to continue the project and doing this to try and grab money to continue. It does worry me a bit especially that its being put out 3 1/2 months before the *alpha* would begin.

I'm finding myself torn if want to actually pay or not for it. Most of the perks are really not a big deal, couple nice things but worth $100 for it all? Plus I still don't even see how EQNext and EQNL will be linked. Such as if you create something in EQNL is it available for seeing and using in EQNext or unlikely unless it happens to make a rare cut by the devs to get included. My interest is in playing EQNext, I'd only be a EQNL fan if its basically the building tool for EQNext but keeps sounding as if they are going to be 95% seperated...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Syanis
    I have to agree. It sounds as if they are in need of money to continue the project and doing this to try and grab money to continue. It does worry me a bit especially that its being put out 3 1/2 months before the *alpha* would begin. I'm finding myself torn if want to actually pay or not for it. Most of the perks are really not a big deal, couple nice things but worth $100 for it all? Plus I still don't even see how EQNext and EQNL will be linked. Such as if you create something in EQNL is it available for seeing and using in EQNext or unlikely unless it happens to make a rare cut by the devs to get included. My interest is in playing EQNext, I'd only be a EQNL fan if its basically the building tool for EQNext but keeps sounding as if they are going to be 95% seperated...

Or they realized, like many other developers have realized, that many people have more money than they really need, and will spend it on getting into a game before other people.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Syanis
    I have to agree. It sounds as if they are in need of money to continue the project and doing this to try and grab money to continue. It does worry me a bit especially that its being put out 3 1/2 months before the *alpha* would begin.

I'm finding myself torn if want to actually pay or not for it. Most of the perks are really not a big deal, couple nice things but worth $100 for it all? Plus I still don't even see how EQNext and EQNL will be linked. Such as if you create something in EQNL is it available for seeing and using in EQNext or unlikely unless it happens to make a rare cut by the devs to get included. My interest is in playing EQNext, I'd only be a EQNL fan if its basically the building tool for EQNext but keeps sounding as if they are going to be 95% seperated...

Or they realized, like many other developers have realized, that many people have more money than sense, and will spend it on getting into a game before other people.

*fixed.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by gotha

You can call it Kickstarter, Early Acccess, Paid Beta or what it really is: Selling unfinished software to very stupid people that have more money than braincells.

I just love how these sale pitches sound like you should be grateful to be able to test their game and be happy to pay for it and all the superficial rewards like forum titles, flags, costumes or name in the credits.

What a load of bollocks!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    My only issue here is paying for something that would otherwise be free. There are plenty of other games ( for me) to hold me over until I can just try this one for free.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Kickstarter was designed for start ups and small indie devs to get funding.

It's perverse a large multinational corporation with tons of cash like Sony doing something similar.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I really don't get why there is a problem.  If one isn't interested or thinks it is not worth it... don't buy? Or is it that some feel a communal need to be irritated for... those that think it's worth it and buy them? There may be something I'm missing here but from what standpoint does it matter what SoE offers, that people decide to buy, by those that aren't interested?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    They have seen people pay these sorts of fees before with many other titles, why wouldn't they try and grab some for themselves? They know their market is all.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    What I don't get is the release date for this game. They said it would be released by Christmas, at least the beta, and now the Alpha isn't even until Feb? Fucking SOE

Killing dragons is my shit

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

You can call it Kickstarter, Early Acccess, Paid Beta or what it really is: Selling unfinished software to very stupid people that have more money than braincells.

I just love how these sale pitches sound like you should be grateful to be able to test their game and be happy to pay for it and all the superficial rewards like forum titles, flags, costumes or name in the credits.

What a load of bollocks!

I agree totally and am quite shocked about it all. It's making me cringe TBH.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Probably because SOE is bleeding out and needs some kind of extra $$ coming in to wrap up EQ Next. As much as I like DCUO, I doubt they've made their money back on it. SWG was a steady revenue stream-on-the-cheap, but that ship sailed a while ago (sank?), so that's easy revenue that can't be counted on. And I highly doubt EQ or EQ2 generate a lot of $$. PS2? I'm skeptical about that revenue model. Fun game, but I highly doubt a lot of people are spending money on it to have the devs walk around in money hats. I have no proof of this, just a hunch. 

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

Originally posted by Aelious

I really don't get why there is a problem.  If one isn't interested or thinks it is not worth it... don't buy? Or is it that some feel a communal need to be irritated for... those that think it's worth it and buy them? There may be something I'm missing here but from what standpoint does it matter what SoE offers, that people decide to buy, by those that aren't interested?

Everyone can do whatever they like with their money, but that does not mean i can not have an opinion about it and voice it on a forum about the game.

It's worth whatever an individual thinks it is worth. I think it's not worth $99, $60 or $20 to test their Alpha for something that is not even the game itself but only some content creation tool for in game assets which is made to make them even more money on their Players Market.

BillMurphy writes: 

Two different games, with Landmark being the creative MMO and Next being a more story driven MMO. These founders packs get you access to Landmark, but not Next it seems.

• MangonisiumMangonisium Member UncommonPosts: 23

So wait, we're clear on it not being put out Q4 2013 anymore, right? If so, that sucks. I was hoping to try EQNext in some form this holiday season.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Everyone can do whatever they like with their money, but that does not mean i can not have an opinion about it and voice it on a forum about the game.

It's worth whatever an individual thinks it is worth. I think it's not worth $99, $60 or $20 to test their Alpha for something that is not even the game itself but only some content creation tool for in game assets which is made to make them even more money on their Players Market.

Of course and I chose my words very carefully.  What I was wondering about wasn't the opinion specifically but where it comes from and what the gain is supposed to be.  It would be like me not liking ice cream and hanging out at 31 Flavors telling people walking in that ice cream isn't worth the money.  What possible gain do I have?

You can call Landmark a simple game assets creator but so is Minecraft.  In fact so is the housing system in EQ2 and people make really cool things from the objects there.  You may not think it's worth it, more power to you, but I imagine a lot of people will be lined up to create things that could go in EQN.  Win/win and all that.  I don't see a conspiracy theory in it and SoE seems to be up front about what it is.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Mangonisium
    So wait, we're clear on it not being put out Q4 2013 anymore, right? If so, that sucks. I was hoping to try EQNext in some form this holiday season.

There was never any chance EQNext was coming out in 2013. they never gave a date for that one. It looks like EQLandmark will be in alpha this winter with closed beta apparently starting in March.

Of course and I chose my words very carefully.  What I was wondering about wasn't the opinion specifically but where it comes from and what the gain is supposed to be.  It would be like me not liking ice cream and hanging out at 31 Flavors telling people walking in that ice cream isn't worth the money.  What possible gain do I have?

You can call Landmark a simple game assets creator but so is Minecraft.  In fact so is the housing system in EQ2 and people make really cool things from the objects there.  You may not think it's worth it, more power to you, but I imagine a lot of people will be lined up to create things that could go in EQN.  Win/win and all that.  I don't see a conspiracy theory in it and SoE seems to be up front about what it is.

I actually thought about that fact when it was first announced a very clever way to get the actual player base to create and sell ( for real money might I add ) and get some creations in-game. So what do they do try charge you to test it either $20 , $60 or $100. SO those people who want to practice creating early will obviously fork out $20. So yes Sony's marketing system and team are very clever but this just takes the piss , just very greedy and I'm not liking it one little bit.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.

Sorry but, it's more like going to an ice cream lovers convention and discussing which flavours you like and why you think one companies ice cream is overpriced or better compared to some other companies.

If you don't want to discuss this then you can go talk to these other people that like your ice cream, in this room (thread) we like to talk about how we don't like it.

... Win/win and all that.  I don't see a conspiracy theory in it and SoE seems to be up front about what it is.

No one said it's a conspiracy because it is not.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

So I did some research on the Landmark website. Maybe someone could explain some stuff to me? It looks like Minecraft with better graphics and less features. What am I missing here? Why is this a must buy let alone 100 dollar pre order?

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Originally posted by Foomerang

So I did some research on the Landmark website. Maybe someone could explain some stuff to me? It looks like Minecraft with better graphics and less features. What am I missing here? Why is this a must buy let alone 100 dollar pre order?

Honestly, I have no idea. I was excited when I thought it would be the editing tool for future eqn, because I hoped for really good creative instrument. Now I am not interested.

Yeah it is that type of game but an MMO , a F2P MMO at that. Eventually though when it's released then you can design things and people can vote for the best one that week/month and then sell it in a shop ( for real money ) so people can buy your designs. Some designs might even end up in EQN too. So people who want to practice have to pay if they want to practice 100% early. Also by the sounds of some MMO'ers they are desperate for a new fix and thus will throw money at the screen sadly. 

That album in your avatar pic was a very underrated album it got 0 /10 in NME for gods sake ;/ They are 1 out of 2 of my favourite bands :0.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by BadOrb
    Originally posted by Foomerang So I did some research on the Landmark website. Maybe someone could explain some stuff to me? It looks like Minecraft with better graphics and less features. What am I missing here? Why is this a must buy let alone 100 dollar pre order?
    Yeah it is that type of game but an MMO , a F2P MMO at that. Eventually though when it's released then you can design things and people can vote for the best one that week/month and then sell it in a shop ( for real money ) so people can buy your designs. Some designs might even end up in EQN too. So people who want to practice have to pay if they want to practice 100% early. Also by the sounds of some MMO'ers they are desperate for a new fix and thus will throw money at the screen sadly. 

That album in your avatar pic was a very underrated album it got 0 /10 in NME for gods sake ;/ They are 1 out of 2 of my favourite bands :0.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Thanks for the info. And yeah, Mr. Bungle's Disco Volante album is top ten all time for me. Had a huge influence on how I write/compose music.

Originally posted by BadOrb

Originally posted by Foomerang So I did some research on the Landmark website. Maybe someone could explain some stuff to me? It looks like Minecraft with better graphics and less features. What am I missing here? Why is this a must buy let alone 100 dollar pre order?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Thanks for the info. And yeah, Mr. Bungle's Disco Volante album is top ten all time for me. Had a huge influence on how I write/compose music.

No worries , yeah I even have a character called Mr Bungle on SWTOR :) , amazing band , I better not derail the thread though I added something about an MMO in my reply. Sent you a PM.

I'm still freaked out by all this charging for alpha/beta testing of a F2P MMO by Sony of all people *sigh*.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

People are actually surprised by this? What did you expect?

This is SOE we're talking about. Yes their intention may be to make a good game but they are first a business that has to start getting a return on their capital investment.