Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor First Impressions

Comments

• WildscrapperWildscrapper Member Posts: 15
    Plis kill off this game blizzard and give us a new MMO ffs what are you doing.

Everyone i talk to is by default a moron so the only valid opinion is mine.joking

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Jedau
    Plis kill off this game blizzard and give us a new MMO ffs what are you doing.

Adding housing and new character models....

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I first played WoW in beta and honestly before battlegrounds were released I envisioned it was going to be open world with controlled zones ala Warcraft "the game it was based on" since each town had sentries or at least Horde/Alliance were going to be able to invade cities and earn rewards.

Alas, battlegrounds were released and open world pvp, died.

WoW really failed before it even ever got started "IN MY OPINION", though it has made alot of money so what does my opinion matter, but it never lived up to what I expected in the early days let alone these days. I fought for this change for 2 straight years till finally I got tired of the criticism and moved on.

IT'S ABOUT TIME THEY SEEM TO FINALLY BE DOING WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE FROM THE START. IT HAS ONLY TAKEN THEM 9 YEARS:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/11502044/Warlords_of_Draenor_Take_Charge_of_Your_Garrison-11_8_2013

This is actually great and surprising news, it sounds great on paper and in general has me excited for WoW also "i'm with ya", which I can't believe i'm saying as WoW hasn't been relevant for me in years. Crazy, I can't believe I am actually supporting WoW right now as I had all but wrote them off years ago, yet here I am. Though honestly I don't think this will work as well unless they do away with or gimp battlegrounds to where it isn't worth doing anymore, though i'm kinda skeptical this will grow into full blown open world sadly as far as PvP goes, etc. This seems merely a "step" in the right direction after 9 years, lol.

Woe is me, lol. image

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

Another X-pack I'll sit out, as I did with MoP. Seems like Blizzard has run out of creativity. Hopefully the next expansion after WoD will be more impressive. I just find it weird that probably their biggest feature of this expansion (Garrisons), is a single player mode. And it's micromanaging a base. I play RTS games for that. In an MMO, I just want to control my single toon, that's it.

Overall, very disappointed. I think Blizzard needs a shake up. Perhaps some of the old guys working there need to be replaced with new blood.

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    I'm sorry, but housing should've been out a long time ago now. All this expansion has shown me is that Blizzard is finally tackling requests that all players who have already left, wanted, years ago now. I don't know about other people, but I don't particularly care to have another 10 levels to grind through, and no new race OR Heroic class to go with it. I remember how excited we were about Death Knights, brainstorming the possibilities of what else may come. Nothing did. Blizzard knows what to do, but they're too blind with greed to act on it. Oh, and.. Draenor? Who f***ing cares? You guys do realize that we've been wanting The Emerald Dream, or something more intriguing than Pandas, and now more alien tentacle chinned origins. Great job, Blizzard, you've mastered the art of Failing (repeatedly) when at your 'best'.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

So what exactly is the big story of this new expansion?  They went off the rails with Deathwing and Pandas.  Now they are traveling back in time to Draenor?

Is this their way to tie into the Burning Legion storyline finally?

What interests me is the story arcs, in game not tie in novels, not the other stuff.  Once Arthas was dealt with I was hoping we'd deal with the Burning Legion and eventually the Titans.  These recent expansions feel like padding to the overall story.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    They don't give a shit about their player base they JUST WANT your $$$, £££, or Euros. Stop feeding them money and let them die then they will have to make a new game or go under.

Asbo

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Good stuff, can't wait! Oh, and haters gonna hate.
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Im interested in this. I cant bepieve it. but i think ill pick wow back up on release. the expansion looks awesome! FINALLY new models! Also Orcs are my fave race. its great to see a horde themed expansion. i wonder if this means the next one will be alliance style. just a thought.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    Quite looking forward to this, though EQN and ESO will be out by then so we will see if wow is still relevant by the time the expansion comes out. Just a shame there's 2 expansions of rubbish I've got to now go through with all my characters to get ready for it. Suppose there is the option of just getting the one free 90 but I prefer choices so one character is never enough.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Blizzard should have summarised all key selling points during the first presentation. The press will only print one article on WoW per media organisation.

So far, this is a lackluster expansion considering WoW is THE most popular MMORPG.

Blizzard seem to be giving up on their business.

Originally posted by Scalebane

Not to shabby and the fact they said they have more xpacs in the works mean i'll be here for another 9 years lol.

Yes, but will the players be there for another 9 years?

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

They really should do a World of Warcraft: A Realm Reborn thing.   Have a huge meteor or something that hits that destroys the whole world then re-design everything from ground up.  Can you image the same maps but with 2013 graphics like FFXIV or GW2?  It would be interesting to see.  

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Rhinotones

Since I abandoned Wow almost 2 years ago I've been rather critical of their design choices. Creating Pokemon, umm I mean pet battles, Pandas and the dumming down of content/easy epic gearing truely disappointed me.

I loosely followed the going ons of this blizzcon weekend more out of boredom than real interest, however, I have to say that I'm now very interested to see what transpires over the next 6 months or so until the next expansion release.

My initial impression of the WoW expansion is that they are targeting the old players who have left, and from where I'm standing it's worked. They've not only raised my curiousity, they've reignited a spark within me that I believed had long been dead.

Amongst the numerous changes, the huge pulling card for me is the "Garrison" concept. Player housing on a grand scale. Hats off to WoW, when they try to deliver a promising feature they really can go above and beyond your expectations.

It's much more than just housing. It's an actual garrison where you choose what types of buildings you want to create. An armory, Inn, blacksmith etc can be placed how you want them to be. As you progress and improve your garrison so too do your buildings, increasing in size and style (up to teir 3). You can find/buy/gather npc followers to send on quests, farm ores, raid and they will return with loot (including epics) and materials. They can also create items for you and will help you with your crafting.

Sounds pretty epic to me.

I could have wrote exactly this, but now i don't have to! It's the first expansion since BC that really got me curious, and almost excited. I will give it a try for sure. At the very least to explore Draenor and soak in some of that atmosphere.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Maybe some new class or race would not hurt ... but I'm happy as it looks will be. Blizzard has never disappointed me as whole. Ok, I might not like something, even hate ... but overall is always great.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    All my 11 lv. 90 Alliance alts can barely wait to go there ..... :-)))
  • mizrolistmizrolist Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by Kendane

Well the storyline might be interesting enough. Didn't even play MoP, depending on if I get a free trial with MoP free along with it, might give the game a brief return. Storyline wise though, if the Ironhorde is blunted in Dreanor, doesn't that mean the Stormwind and Alturac are never destroyed.....like did they figure, woops killed too many characters but through the power of TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME travel they're back. Like....they change could mean that Arthas, Sylvannas, Lother, Uther, etc never died/became zombies?

It could make it interesting, it could just be a mess. Guess it's just a matter of wait and see. 

(Hides behind flameshield) Sorry I didn't say this looks like crap, please don't kill me!

Well, Rhonin, Krasus and Broxigar went back in time and they changed almost nothing... so our present is quite the same. I think our mission will be something like that.

Signatures are boring things.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the only thing i liked being announced is - no more dailies

they will still exist but are greatly reduced

• donkey1314edonkey1314e Member UncommonPosts: 7
    While look at earlier games ex: star trek online they doing of what their doing and plus many other games. They are taking that and making it their own. Now if they do it all different then I'm in but how it sounds now no I'm not going back
    Originally posted by timtrack
    Originally posted by Rhinotones

Since I abandoned Wow almost 2 years ago I've been rather critical of their design choices. Creating Pokemon, umm I mean pet battles, Pandas and the dumming down of content/easy epic gearing truely disappointed me.

I loosely followed the going ons of this blizzcon weekend more out of boredom than real interest, however, I have to say that I'm now very interested to see what transpires over the next 6 months or so until the next expansion release.

My initial impression of the WoW expansion is that they are targeting the old players who have left, and from where I'm standing it's worked. They've not only raised my curiousity, they've reignited a spark within me that I believed had long been dead.

Amongst the numerous changes, the huge pulling card for me is the "Garrison" concept. Player housing on a grand scale. Hats off to WoW, when they try to deliver a promising feature they really can go above and beyond your expectations.

It's much more than just housing. It's an actual garrison where you choose what types of buildings you want to create. An armory, Inn, blacksmith etc can be placed how you want them to be. As you progress and improve your garrison so too do your buildings, increasing in size and style (up to teir 3). You can find/buy/gather npc followers to send on quests, farm ores, raid and they will return with loot (including epics) and materials. They can also create items for you and will help you with your crafting.

Sounds pretty epic to me.

I could have wrote exactly this, but now i don't have to! It's the first expansion since BC that really got me curious, and almost excited. I will give it a try for sure. At the very least to explore Draenor and soak in some of that atmosphere.

If this is the only thing that excites you about this expansion - trust me - you will get bored very quickly.

The 'garrison system' sounds very similar to the 'companion system' in SWTOR. Nobody has ever raved about it. It adds nothing to gameplay.

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

This announcement isn't at all as exciting compared to the other expansions. It is a big mistake to not add at least one new race to the game & I can picture the blue posts admitting that mistake in about 6 months - a year after this expansion is released. Sure we get updated models for existing races, but for a company & game as big as WoW we should be getting both! If this game doesn't have the money & resources to pump out the content, then no game does. I can live with just 1 new class every 2nd expansion.

The setting/story is not terrible but not really as exciting as say taking on the Lich King was. It's different i'll give them that, but also abit meh.

As for instant level 90, I don't mind that. If you started today you could probably level every class in the game to level 90 before they even release this expansion so I don't see the problem with it.

Ultimately it's the little things they seemed to miss, like take the level 100 ablities/spells. A level 100 spell should have a very long CD and perhaps 1 shot an enemey player or Npc(s). Make us feel really powerful! No real mention of a different type of progression once we ding 100 unless you count this mini fortress thing, which no doubt will be thrown away like our Pandaren farms will be (even admitted by the devs they want us to throw them away) once the following expansion comes along. No mention of scaleable down-leveling raids etc or sidekicking systems either.

Problem is it's alot of meh and nothing exciting!

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

Will MoP zones and pandas be removed from game? 

sick and tired tis panda shit. how tis new expasion feels savage and orginal humans vs orc if there is panda players around?!

get rid pandas and i may come back.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

any new kid /adult starting to play wow for the very first time are in for a treat!

warcraft=Dreanor

wow=cataclysm

Wotlk

MoP

in that order...you guys will have a blast!

for the vanilla wow fanboys- you guys need to find another mmo, or enjoy these new updates.

its that simple.

-although this new expact could easily had been patches for upgrading their current game- its blizzard, their show.

best part is to see graphics on characters beign updated! long over due!

Originally posted by theniffrig

This announcement isn't at all as exciting compared to the other expansions. It is a big mistake to not add at least one new race to the game & I can picture the blue posts admitting that mistake in about 6 months - a year after this expansion is released. Sure we get updated models for existing races, but for a company & game as big as WoW we should be getting both! If this game doesn't have the money & resources to pump out the content, then no game does. I can live with just 1 new class every 2nd expansion.

The setting/story is not terrible but not really as exciting as say taking on the Lich King was. It's different i'll give them that, but also abit meh.

As for instant level 90, I don't mind that. If you started today you could probably level every class in the game to level 90 before they even release this expansion so I don't see the problem with it.

Ultimately it's the little things they seemed to miss, like take the level 100 ablities/spells. A level 100 spell should have a very long CD and perhaps 1 shot an enemey player or Npc(s). Make us feel really powerful! No real mention of a different type of progression once we ding 100 unless you count this mini fortress thing, which no doubt will be thrown away like our Pandaren farms will be (even admitted by the devs they want us to throw them away) once the following expansion comes along. No mention of scaleable down-leveling raids etc or sidekicking systems either.

Problem is it's alot of meh and nothing exciting!

In addition, the updated models don't look as up-to-date as other games. If you look closely at the monster animations in the trailers, you'll see monsters turn 90 degrees instantly - without a realistic smooth movement animation.

Originally posted by orbitxo

any new kid /adult starting to play wow for the very first time are in for a treat!

warcraft=Dreanor

wow=cataclysm

Wotlk

MoP

in that order...you guys will have a blast!

for the vanilla wow fanboys- you guys need to find another mmo, or enjoy these new updates.

its that simple.

-although this new expact could easily had been patches for upgrading their current game- its blizzard, their show.

best part is to see graphics on characters beign updated! long over due!

I agree that a child playing WoW for the first time would have a blast, but would they really want to? (Given that there are more up-to-date looking games on the market that don't rely on under-the-bonnet dice rolls, for example, GW2?)