Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW:G boy do I miss it

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Holophonist
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Mechanic74

Wishing a game like SWG pre-cu would come along again (or what made the game unique would come along again) does not imply anything other than:

One believes games that are released since (and even before) do not have those qualities, and one wishes they did.

It does not mean:

You have rose colored glasses.

You sit on a porch wishing for things.

You can't enjoy other games.

Etc, etc etc......

I realize it must be mind boggling, but one can wish for something and still proceed forward.

thank you captain obvious, your work here is done. I know what I was say isn't going to sink in for some people, but trying to change it or misconstrue it into something I didn't say...doesn't change the message. Like I said though. For people who need it explained they probably wouldn't understand anyway.

The problem is you realize that you're wrong but you persist in claiming that it's us who don't get it. You're the one that either doesn't get it, or refuses to admit you're wrong. We don't need you to explain anything to us. There's nothing wrong with hoping for a game to come out that fits a similar to description as your favorite game. There is simply nothing wrong with that. As a number of people have already pointed out, these things aren't mutually exclusive. You can be sad that a game is gone, you can even hope for it to come back; and at the same time you can be an adult and move on to other things if need be.

I never said there was, and have argued every time someone said I did. But here we are...still telling me I'm saying it and that I don't get what you mean.

You can hope all you like for a new game to come out with older features. I think everyone does it. " I wish I could go back and play swg because everything now sucks "  and th emoving on as an adult has been the focus of what I've been talking about over.....and over. If it's not clear by now apparently it's something I'm either incapable of making clear or...they're just not interested in understanding. I have a feeling it's more the latter than the former.

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Loved that game.  Ran my own cantina.  Loved to take my guildmates up to do their master pilot mission or harvest asteroids.  One thing I loved was open communication between factions.  I made so many good friends PvPing that I eventually switched factions to spend more time with the friends I'd made on the other side.  I hate games that limit communication by faction.  Hinders community building for me.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Originally posted by DrSmaSh

Amen!

SWG was the first and last game I got lost in. No kidding, first day of game, I think it was Mos Eisley where you started - I just went over the hill and got like totally lost. And from that day I remember two encounters that I will probably never forget in my life: first was a lady, sitting in front of her house with kitten next to it. I asked her for directions, she gave me some money and pointed me across the hill. But somehow I was uber noob and got lost again... and right there in the middle of a desert came a guy, a doctor on -can't-remember-the-name-of-pet-mount- he was all dressed up as desert people. He gave me some stimpacks and guided me back to the city. Fucking EPIC!

See, right there. You don't get that in other games. It makes it feel like a world (worlds, in this case). You not only can get lost, you can loose yourself in the game.

I still found SWG too Themeparkish due to the levels (items with levels, don't try to convince me it didn't have levels). And I didn't stay. But I've wondered if I should have. Obviously, it was NOT JUST about levels.

But that kind of play is indeed "epic". Much more memorable than some scripted content that you know everyone is doing repeatedly.

Edit to add: And the Canteenas and Camp Sites were only the beginnings of what could be done in MMOs.

Once upon a time....

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

If you played on Intrepid then you should know my name, major crafter. Don't think too many founding cities didn't have my structures in them. I just loved the crafting and business aspect, the bartering and hiring players to get me resources. Most the money I made (and I made a lot) I would turn around and spend it on others for their services (scouts, miners, etc). That was a true player based economy. My elder jedi I got not to long into it and role played the part well :)

One thing I miss in the newer mmorpg's, is that SWG had creature interaction. You could be on Dath and Rancor's would actually attack and kill creatures around them. The Krayt Graveyard was a slaughter house most days lol.

I just miss this game and the many great features and aspects newer developers wont make.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Wishing a game like SWG pre-cu would come along again (or what made the game unique would come along again) does not imply anything other than:

One believes games that are released since (and even before) do not have those qualities, and one wishes they did.

It does not mean:

Etc, etc etc......

I realize it must be mind boggling, but one can wish for something and still proceed forward.

thank you captain obvious, your work here is done. I know what I was say isn't going to sink in for some people, but trying to change it or misconstrue it into something I didn't say...doesn't change the message. Like I said though. For people who need it explained they probably wouldn't understand anyway.

The problem is you realize that you're wrong but you persist in claiming that it's us who don't get it. You're the one that either doesn't get it, or refuses to admit you're wrong. We don't need you to explain anything to us. There's nothing wrong with hoping for a game to come out that fits a similar to description as your favorite game. There is simply nothing wrong with that. As a number of people have already pointed out, these things aren't mutually exclusive. You can be sad that a game is gone, you can even hope for it to come back; and at the same time you can be an adult and move on to other things if need be.

I never said there was, and have argued every time someone said I did. But here we are...still telling me I'm saying it and that I don't get what you mean.

You can hope all you like for a new game to come out with older features. I think everyone does it. " I wish I could go back and play swg because everything now sucks "  and th emoving on as an adult has been the focus of what I've been talking about over.....and over. If it's not clear by now apparently it's something I'm either incapable of making clear or...they're just not interested in understanding. I have a feeling it's more the latter than the former.

What do you mean by "the moving on as an adult"? As we've said, hoping for a resurgence of your favorite type of game doesn't have to hinder any other part of your life. Moving on doesn't mean being content with subpar products. 

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

Amen!

SWG was the first and last game I got lost in. No kidding, first day of game, I think it was Mos Eisley where you started - I just went over the hill and got like totally lost. And from that day I remember two encounters that I will probably never forget in my life: first was a lady, sitting in front of her house with kitten next to it. I asked her for directions, she gave me some money and pointed me across the hill. But somehow I was uber noob and got lost again... and right there in the middle of a desert came a guy, a doctor on -can't-remember-the-name-of-pet-mount- he was all dressed up as desert people. He gave me some stimpacks and guided me back to the city. Fucking EPIC!

See, right there. You don't get that in other games. It makes it feel like a world (worlds, in this case). You not only can get lost, you can loose yourself in the game.

I still found SWG too Themeparkish due to the levels (items with levels, don't try to convince me it didn't have levels). And I didn't stay. But I've wondered if I should have. Obviously, it was NOT JUST about levels.

But that kind of play is indeed "epic". Much more memorable than some scripted content that you know everyone is doing repeatedly.

Edit to add: And the Canteenas and Camp Sites were only the beginnings of what could be done in MMOs.

Actually SWG didn't have levels when it first started lol. Just saying. They had skills you could pick and chose from. Not until WOW and the themepark rush to be like WOW did they change it.

SWG had some of the largest worlds to explore, not themeparkish at all. No end game, no quests to level. I don't get how you think it was way too themepark'ish. I could quests and hit max level, I could just go kill everything and max level, could craft and hit max level, or I could have just sat in a cantina and talked/danced and hit max level........... themepark? Seriously?

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I had fun playing SWG as well, I had 5 account and duel boxed to run four accounts at once.

But from what I remember in the forums this is what people didn't like. 

1. Auto Facing :  You could tab target, and enter combat.  Your 'toon would swing 180 degrees if it had to fire on your target.
    2. Macroing : SWG and a robust macro system.  You could stand in one spot, and run your macro over night.  Next morning your inventory would be full of loot, and your XP would be any where from 1/4 to 3/4 caped.  I only took 3-5 days to reach level cap this way.
    3. Original battle grounds never worked :  After the NGE they re-worked an NPC city into a PVP zone.
    4. Over Dependence on Non-Combat Player :  Doctors were required for buffs. Entertainer where required for Mind buffs. Cooks were required for food buffs.
    5. Space was added late in the game : Jump To Lightspeed.
    6. Jedi :  Most people where on the unlock Jedi grind.  But many hated that they even existed in this time line.

Don't get me wrong, I luv these things.  But my first Master CarbineerMaster Creature Handler took me about 6 to 8 month.  Because I didn't know about macro leveling.  So I no composite armour, I was poor, and it took me long to level.  Some people leveled all 30+ professions in that same time and un-locked Jedi.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Thank you. I "attacked" him (strong word, but whatever), because he suggested that anybody who wishes the state of games were different was "living in the past".  It was a ridiculous assertion and needed to be pointed out.

I didn't suggest anything of the sort...or even close to it. 

Oh, really?:

It was a great game but all things come to an end. Move on and enjoy good memories. You can't live in the past forever.

How does it not get any more clear than that?  There is no subtlety, no misconstruing squat. It was plain english, you said and you meant it, stop trying to backpeddle.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

It does not mean:

Etc, etc etc......

What do you mean by "the moving on as an adult"? As we've said, hoping for a resurgence of your favorite type of game doesn't have to hinder any other part of your life. Moving on doesn't mean being content with subpar products. 

sigh... I think you are so focused on what you think I'm trying to say you are never going to accept what I am saying. I'm done trying to explain it to you only to have you come back with things that I not only didn't say, it is the other way around to the exact things I have been saying so. It's not even a matter of disagreeing. It's you wanting to argue points I'm not trying to make and would agree on if I wasn't forced to correct you every time that I didn't say this or that. so...good luck.

Thank you. I "attacked" him (strong word, but whatever), because he suggested that anybody who wishes the state of games were different was "living in the past".  It was a ridiculous assertion and needed to be pointed out.

I didn't suggest anything of the sort...or even close to it. 

Oh, really?:

It was a great game but all things come to an end. Move on and enjoy good memories. You can't live in the past forever.

How does it not get any more clear than that?  There is no subtlety, no misconstruing squat. It was plain english, you said and you meant it, stop trying to backpeddle.

you're right. At your reading comprehension level it clearly does have those words.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by Onomas

Amen!

Actually SWG didn't have levels when it first started lol. Just saying. They had skills you could pick and chose from. Not until WOW and the themepark rush to be like WOW did they change it.

SWG had some of the largest worlds to explore, not themeparkish at all. No end game, no quests to level. I don't get how you think it was way too themepark'ish. I could quests and hit max level, I could just go kill everything and max level, could craft and hit max level, or I could have just sat in a cantina and talked/danced and hit max level........... themepark? Seriously?

SWG created themeparks or at least the term lol.  

It also had weapon skill lvls. Each box you opened ih a weapon skill like ( like say pistols ) would unlock different pistol types.

His opinion may be a bit extreme considering the way mmos work but it wasn't really inaccurate. 

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

There isnt a day that goes by I dont wish I could still play SWG. Pre CU, CU or NGE. 

Amen!

Depends on what you mean by the term, I guess. I don't subscribe to narrow definitions, myself.

And I don't know if I missed something at the very beginning. I did play before that "NGwhatever" things when they took out taming (my son was really P.O.ed over that).

By my meaning of Themeparkish, I noted that weapons had a level grind power gap design. Every few levels they had these big jumps in damage, just like WoW or any Themepark game does.

And if that's what the game was like at the start, how can you say that you could consider it not ThemeparkISH? You would have to wade through levels of power gaps to get to content, and that content would have to be designed around those level gaps.

If I'm wrong about that, I'd really like to know. I don't want to be wrong in my take on the game.

Once upon a time....

Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal

Amen!

No sir. "Themepark" was first coined to describe EQ because players had to wait in line to do the content before moving on to the next "ride". It took on added meaning with WoW even though WoW fixed that particular problem.

Once upon a time....

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

same here..

Disney if you´re reading, let SOE make SWG 2,0

pretty please with cherry on top

• PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45

I have posted this before, but whatever....

Guys, don't forget about  The Repopulation (www.therepopulation.com ). It really does seem like the closest we'll get to another SWG.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by Novusod
    SWG in the pre-NGE era was definitely the best MMO ever made. There will never be another one like it. The classes, the crafting, the player cities, the PvP, and the community that formed around it all just worked. It was like an accident when the stars aligned the prefect game was made. The developers didn't understand what they had so they blew it chasing greed and WoW bucks.

Winner.

SWG pre cu and een the 2 later versions was the most fun and addtictive MMO I've ever played. It wasn't refect but despite the bugs and flaws, it was stil miles ahead of any of today's laughable and boring MMOs. The community was unique and the in game "conflicts" that continued on the forums were legendary fun. In the end, I think we all cared for every player, in one twisted way or the other, even if we didn't see eye to eye in game or felt he/she was a douche.

SWG was a virtual world more than anything else and that's what made it so special. As a noob, you'd load in and you were in Mos Eisley or some other city's spaceport and that was it. No NPC telling you what to do or where to go. You had to ask other players for help and it was a blast. I've never felt so lost on my first day as I did in SWG wandering around in Mos Eisley, in any other MMO and I loved every minute of it.

I wanna be uncle Owen again.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Dayrion
    Yes it is true there are some emulators out there but for alot of use we played for years had full cities had built up millions of credits. I had a perfect YT-1300 that I had made and was able to sell for over 1 mil credits. Its not the point that you can jump on an emulator and play it a point the community for the game is gone and we lost everything we worked for.

If you realy love SWG as you claim you would play now, all the crap about i had this that is why over past 10+ years its all going dumbdownhill road you want it al in first weeks or no go.

Have to work for it to get, no way.

Take me time, no way.

Difficult to master, no way.

NUFFSAID.

You guys are just building a myth around SWG same as those fans from UO while there where not bad games they had there flawes also and where not perfect at all.

And most games appeal for first 6 months after that even mmo's like SWG starting to change so its more easy to play. Thats the true story not it was the greatest game ever:)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal
    Amen!   SWG was the first and last game I got lost in. No kidding, first day of game, I think it was Mos Eisley where you started - I just went over the hill and got like totally lost. And from that day I remember two encounters that I will probably never forget in my life: first was a lady, sitting in front of her house with kitten next to it. I asked her for directions, she gave me some money and pointed me across the hill. But somehow I was uber noob and got lost again... and right there in the middle of a desert came a guy, a doctor on -can't-remember-the-name-of-pet-mount- he was all dressed up as desert people. He gave me some stimpacks and guided me back to the city. Fucking EPIC!

No sir. "Themepark" was first coined to describe EQ because players had to wait in line to do the content before moving on to the next "ride". It took on added meaning with WoW even though WoW fixed that particular problem.

Everquest wasn't a themepark. The first time I heard the term was SWG beta test to describe the mission/quest hubs that were in the sandbox game. Everquest was an opened zoned game that you basically level as you liked there were no vast quest hubs. Camping lines are not themeparks.

It does not mean:

Etc, etc etc......

sigh... I think you are so focused on what you think I'm trying to say you are never going to accept what I am saying. I'm done trying to explain it to you only to have you come back with things that I not only didn't say, it is the other way around to the exact things I have been saying so. It's not even a matter of disagreeing. It's you wanting to argue points I'm not trying to make and would agree on if I wasn't forced to correct you every time that I didn't say this or that. so...good luck.

I think you're the one that is confused. You say the focus has been the "moving on as an adult" and apparently what you meant by that was when I said that you can hope for a certain type of game but still move on to other things. But that doesn't explain this quote from you:

"Yeah you're right, it's way better sitting on the porch talking about how everything used to be better and it's all a pile of shit now. I can see how that has some real up sides to it."

You keep saying nobody will understand your point, yet you fail to really make one. What IS your point? That people should move on? Move on how? We do play other games. We just ALSO want better games. Again, they're not mutually exclusive. If everybody is "misunderstanding" you, the problem may be with you.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
    Loved that game.  Ran my own cantina.  Loved to take my guildmates up to do their master pilot mission or harvest asteroids.  One thing I loved was open communication between factions.  I made so many good friends PvPing that I eventually switched factions to spend more time with the friends I'd made on the other side.  I hate games that limit communication by faction.  Hinders community building for me.

Yeah I loved the cross faction communication as well.  I was Imp but I made so many cool reb friends too. 

One of my reb buddies was probably the best pvpers on our server.  After he killed me a bunch of times, I developed a grudging respect for him and we became good friends.  The fact that I was a female avatar probably helped, haha.  I remember one time this city was being seiged...huge pvp fight.  And I sent him a tell and he met me on a hill overlooking the city, and we watched the battle as the sun set over the mountains.  It was very....romantic, hehehe.

I miss moments like that, when you could forget you were playing a game. 

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    help us Mickey Wan Kenobi you´re our only hope
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Originally posted by Dayrion
    Yes it is true there are some emulators out there but for alot of use we played for years had full cities had built up millions of credits. I had a perfect YT-1300 that I had made and was able to sell for over 1 mil credits. Its not the point that you can jump on an emulator and play it a point the community for the game is gone and we lost everything we worked for.

If you realy love SWG as you claim you would play now, all the crap about i had this that is why over past 10+ years its all going dumbdownhill road you want it al in first weeks or no go.

Have to work for it to get, no way.

Take me time, no way.

Difficult to master, no way.

NUFFSAID.

You guys are just building a myth around SWG same as those fans from UO while there where not bad games they had there flawes also and where not perfect at all.

And most games appeal for first 6 months after that even mmo's like SWG starting to change so its more easy to play. Thats the true story not it was the greatest game ever:)

The emulator is missing major aspects of the game. Also a healthy playerbase is something these games need. And unfortunately a lot of people aren't willing to play a game that has outdated graphics/engine.