Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor First Impressions

Comments

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Syanis
    Yah.... WoW needs to just die off already and Blizz needs to step it up for a new MMO. Real gamers are bored with how candy WoW is now and the uniqueness of class's is long dead.

sorry, but we are not.

real gamers are still playing. the ones bitching are... your kind :)

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Actually i think it was a pretty good answer, because that is what it will come down to in the end.. People does not want the old game back.. they want their nostalgic moments back... And those are loooong gone.

People have cherry-picked the best parts of the old game and left the bad parts behind. and that can never be captured in code

This have been a good conversation

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

So many comments jumping to conclusions and using their own thoughts based on what other people said as they admit to not having played to WoW in years.  Most probably didn't even watch the panels, not that it matters since the game is far from being released and we're already arguing amongst ourselves.  First impressions are great and all -- and I'm not speaking to those who give them -- but there are so many that just go too far into the territory of bias, especially if they haven't played WoW in a long time themselves and just go off a mob mentality of people who hate a game or have stopped playing it and dislike the time and money they spent.

Keep it up, forum peoples!

The status quo is a go!

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Looks awesome, can t wait.
  • GediasGedias Member UncommonPosts: 46

For me the positives are:

-PVP zone that's not on a timer (finally!)

-Flex raiding (hopefully encourages more guild raiding)

-Player housing

-Burning Crusade Lore

-Dynamic events and less linear questing

The biggest drawback (for me) is the lack of dungeons.  I really hate scenarios - I just wish Blizzard would focus on making more dungeons and making them harder like in CATA.  But overall I feel like there's a lot more to like here than the last 2 expansions.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Blizzard makes a genius move, does exactly what the players want annnnd...

Oh look all the bitter vets on the forums cry about how this game is clearly dying and they aren't even trying now and how terrible their ideas are.

Did I really see someone cry about no new races / classes?

seriously people?

You are all being absolutely outrageous.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Not to shabby and the fact they said they have more xpacs in the works mean i'll be here for another 9 years lol.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Unfortunately, this doesn't erase the MoP expansion.  That bell can't be unrung.

You make me like charity

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by NeVeRLiFtWoW is way to dumb down and easy mode.I can't believe how far they've went with making the game so a 7yr old kid can play it. 

Wow heroic raids are the toughest, most complicated raids in any mmo....and what does blizz do this xpac? They add a new harder difficulty of raids called mythic, locked at 20 man only....

Ya, totally dumbed down for 7 year olds...

I can download a mod that plays every raid for me, there is little skill in WoW raiding at this point.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Geez everytime I come hear, it's an army of naysayers and crybabies, wishing that WoW will drown in the sea and never rise up again... Yall people just need to move on and if you no longer like WoW, there hardly any need to comment that you dislike it over and over again.

I, on the other hand, am pumped for this expansion because of many good things are coming this way. The build your own garrison looks good in a way, the game storyline is going to be a blast, I would love to see how this new stat system going to play out, with alot of the gear stats are going to disappear, I wonder how will this going to affect me and me who trying to become good on dps and other roles?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'm psyched up for Warlords of Draenor.  Grom is by far my favorite character in all of Warcraft.  It's a shame we're going to have to kill him, but I guess it's ok.  I wish I could join the Warsong Clan and ride with him though :(

The Garrison looks really cool.  From playing the first 15 minutes or so, Frostfire is awesome looking.  The new character models are a billion times better as well.  Your hair and face actually move and such, and they're not just stiff.  Also, I'm happy to hear about the island by um..the place that becomes Hellfire Pennisula (I still haven't gotten some of the new names down lol) is an open world pvp island where you capture stuff and really never ends :D

.Best suprise, or well not really a suprise, was Heroes of the Storm.  This game was awesome, and there were people that just finished their match and ran back to the end of the line to play again.  Another thing was the PS4.  I actually was planning on staying out of consoles from the last generation onward, but playing Diablo 3 on the PS4 has really swayed my zeal about staying away from consoles.  The game is simply awesome, and plays great as well.  I actually liked this Blizzcon over the other two I went to before, probably the best Blizzcon?  Sad to not see ETC playing, but Blink182 was a pretty good replacement.

Edit: I'm sad there isn't any new races or classes (was hoping for Ogres for the Horde), but the new models are really well done, so I guess that's where they spent the time on creating a new race, they created 12 new races technically XD  I'm not sure if they redid Pandaren since they're fairly new, but they could use some re-vamp, or they'll look behind the new ones.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by tawess

Actually i think it was a pretty good answer, because that is what it will come down to in the end.. People does not want the old game back.. they want their nostalgic moments back... And those are loooong gone.

People have cherry-picked the best parts of the old game and left the bad parts behind. and that can never be captured in code

Yeah I tried getting that nostalgic good ole feeling back with a BC private server, got real bored. It's not soo fun coming back to something you know all the fights to and re doing them. Just give me new content with pre 4.1 heroic difficulty and I'd be in love again, would also like to see LFG/LFR pull from your shared realms.

Blizzard sold this x-pac to me when I heard that Durotan will be alive, along with the greatest WoW heroes.

• xiorathxiorath Member UncommonPosts: 18

Holy shit, some of you "MMO" gamers act like little spoiled rich children on christmas day. "NO NEW CLASS, NO NEW RACE? WTF THEY ARE LAZY FUCK THIS GAME" You all sound a bit rediculous.

Anyway, this game has been dumbed down to the point of no return. I didn't know it was possible to have so many hands available for you to hold while you take a ride on a child sized rollercoaster of carebears. What ever happened to raiding being a priviliage for dedicated gamers who put in solid effort to get there? There is absolutely no such thing as accomplishment in World of Warcraft today. They might as well just completely remove leveling. They completely destroyed outlands and the ANNIHILATED the lore and now there are four different difficulty settings for raiding? Are players really that horrible these days? I didn't know blizzard is getting carried away so hard by the tsunami wave of casual tears.

oh and one more thing, Time Travel

LOL

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by NeVeRLiFt

WoW is way to dumb down and easy mode.

I can't believe how far they've went with making the game so a 7yr old kid can play it.

Wow heroic raids are the toughest, most complicated raids in any mmo....and what does blizz do this xpac? They add a new harder difficulty of raids called mythic, locked at 20 man only....

I can download a mod that plays every raid for me, there is little skill in WoW raiding at this point.

This is just proof that you are absolutely ignorant when it comes to high level raiding. You should try and refrain from making such bold statements that have no basis in reality.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    No matter how much anyone wants to bash this game, it still has a larger active population than any other western MMO. Just look at everything that has released after it....from AOC to GW and FF14. Not a one of them comes close in terms of population and two of those do not even require a subscription. While it may not be my game of choice, it obviously does something right as it is still appealing to a whole lot of people.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• MilitantMilitant Member Posts: 48

Only 10 years to get player housing? Nice blizz...

I havnt played since burning crusade and I probably wouldnt even play WoW again if it was free-to-play.. maybe, just MAYBE I would start a character and play through 1-50 just for nostalgia reasons, but that would be it.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by Militant

Only 10 years to get player housing? Nice blizz...

I havnt played since burning crusade and I probably wouldnt even play WoW again if it was free-to-play.. maybe, just MAYBE I would start a character and play through 1-50 just for nostalgia reasons, but that would be it.

True. But saddest thing that some mmorpgs had housing on release and didnt last even 1 year...

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by NeVeRLiFt

WoW is way to dumb down and easy mode.

I can't believe how far they've went with making the game so a 7yr old kid can play it.

Can you please enlighten us all on the name of this mod please, because the current tier, which launched 3 months ago, has only been cleared by 65 out of the 5807 tracked heroic raiding guilds.

There are an additonal 20,000 tracked guilds who are currently progressing though normal, but have not yet hit heroic modes yet.

I am sure they would like to get their hands on this mod that you apparently created for yourself, which also goes against the wow ToS, if it does what you claim it to ;)

Do you really expect anyone to take anything you post serious after writing that? lol.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Garrison sounds nice for a new feature, I love stuff like that, being able to set up a base and work on it. Also I liked the system in SWTOR that you can send companions to do stuff.

I played Warcraft 1 when it was released, so it's definately cool to see some epic names of the old in this expansion.

On the otherhand though, I dont like timetravel stuff much, it's always way too far fetched and cheap crap even in fantasy or scifi. Timetravel stories just do not work, they are so full of loopholes and illogical things storywise that it just kills a lot of the immersion for me. Timetravel also makes it feel like it's completely meaningless what you do when a time rift can be opened at your leizure to enter past times (if the story presenter so wishes), anyone who is dead is suddenly alive etc.

• codifiercodifier Member UncommonPosts: 47

Cataclysm was my last expansion I was interested in, MoP zero. Warlords of Draenor, can't wait. Draenor is the very source of Outland, it's the planet that was torn apart, and that big piece was Outland, but now we get to see Draenor,  "The full version of Outland". It's very fillerish though that Garrosh goes through the time travel back to Draenor, and so we do as well. But the time travel opens new opportunities for more content including The Burning Legion. I'm sure this expansion will be leading to something really epic later on. I love the Garrison idea, it reminds me of warcraft. Also, new models for all races is one of the best graphical improvements in this expansion, I love them. Only what I don't like is the "talent system", it looks the same as in MoP, basically extra skills. Where is the old good talent system!? I loved the talents before MoP, then they ruined them and now it seems we are getting the same talent system. :( Anyway, I think overall this expansion will be a lot better than MoP, but ofc it's only my speculation. But I really hope this expansion will be on TBC level.

PS. Instant level 90 thing is only for 1 character, blizzard wants everyone to experience the new content immediately, even new players. I think this is a good option if you want to do it. I'm personally making a new character or making my existing character into level 90, because I don't care about MoP.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    This looks like a weak expansion overall.  It might've been interesting if it was after Burning Crusade.  Updated character models and their "housing" system came 3 expansions late.  Take those away and it's a pretty bland expansion.  The only interesting thing about it is the lore.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Have they not mentioned whether housing was personally instanced like the farms because it IS instanced? Or did I miss that?
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by observer
    This looks like a weak expansion overall.  It might've been interesting if it was after Burning Crusade.  Updated character models and their "housing" system came 3 expansions late.  Take those away and it's a pretty bland expansion.  The only interesting thing about it is the lore.

Yeah - and when you took away blood elfs and draenai and sham/pally swapping; BC is pretty bland.

If you took away the lich king and death knights; it would have been pretty bland.

Take away pandas and monks, and MoP is bland.

Take away the things that make the expansion, and the expansion is bland.

You sir, are not just an observer - you are the master of the obvious.

3 expansions late.....exactly. Why bother adding something needed for years?

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Wow... They may gain some players by adding the most stupid feature i have ever seen, boost to level 90, but they will lose just ass many if not more. Like ok, if you have one 90, you explored the content and what not, but most people have more then one 90, and they do not want to play other classes, even if they don't have every class at 90. That boost, is really, completely and honestly, stupid. And it will lose far more players then it will gain, looks like it is goodbye world of warcraft.
  • RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

Since I abandoned Wow almost 2 years ago I've been rather critical of their design choices. Creating Pokemon, umm I mean pet battles, Pandas and the dumming down of content/easy epic gearing truely disappointed me.

I loosely followed the going ons of this blizzcon weekend more out of boredom than real interest, however, I have to say that I'm now very interested to see what transpires over the next 6 months or so until the next expansion release.

My initial impression of the WoW expansion is that they are targeting the old players who have left, and from where I'm standing it's worked. They've not only raised my curiousity, they've reignited a spark within me that I believed had long been dead.

Amongst the numerous changes, the huge pulling card for me is the "Garrison" concept. Player housing on a grand scale. Hats off to WoW, when they try to deliver a promising feature they really can go above and beyond your expectations.

It's much more than just housing. It's an actual garrison where you choose what types of buildings you want to create. An armory, Inn, blacksmith etc can be placed how you want them to be. As you progress and improve your garrison so too do your buildings, increasing in size and style (up to teir 3). You can find/buy/gather npc followers to send on quests, farm ores, raid and they will return with loot (including epics) and materials. They can also create items for you and will help you with your crafting.

Sounds pretty epic to me.