Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How about an invite only MMO - thinking out loud

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    A Velvet Rope approach might work well, greenreen, especially if targeting an interest, theme or subject matter that already has established communities. If nothing else, it would build a core community of people genuinely interested in that particular game and not just anyone who likes to click beta links.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

It would work. the mind set and behavior changes as well.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

are you trying to go backward? we already had those MMO many years ago under the name of  "LAN".

the model what you speak is multiplayer on Console, just put a password and give it only to people you want because only people chosen by you isnt be judged as "insects " BY YOU.

Originally posted by squalleonaha

are you trying to go backward? we already had those MMO many years ago under the name of  "LAN".

the model what you speak is multiplayer on Console, just put a password and give it only to people you want because only people chosen by you isnt be judged as "insects " BY YOU.

No. It's about protecting an infant community from predators.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    That might work for a beta, when you don't need or necessarily even want massive amounts of players.  But I can't see that working well long after a game launches.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Community wise it sounds good, but financially it sounds like castration.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

To each their own, but thinking that by inviting a specific group you will avoid the ills of society at large is foolish.  It sounds like country club mentality to me.  I also don't imagine that a for profit entity will be interested in limiting their income prospects either.  How would you decide who is in and who is out?  How would you guarantee those that get in will enjoy and stay with the game?  If you plan to keep inviting people then it seems to defeat the initial premise of exclusivity.  How can you determine who truly is most qualified or interested in such a project who can also afford to be part of the limited financial support structure of the project?  One thing I am sure of, is that this sounds like a great way to breed elitism though.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by FinalFikus

Statistically speaking aren't most predators linked to the victims through social and familial ties?

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by greenreen

Do we need an MMO that is invite only?

One that shucks the corn and shakes out the potential insects by inviting only a select amount of people who have a limited amount of invitations to pass out.

I like sub based so this is how I see it going down for my play style. Each month you are subbed you gain an invite up until you have 3 stored, after that it won't accumulate more until they are used. 

Think of it like the way Gmail was introduced. I was a mod in a security forum and we got some of the first invites. We were picky about who we gave them to so I saw in action that people can mold a community, even one separate in their interactions. Imagine if you had to interact with those invited, wouldn't that make you even more picky and the community would bring in good people.

I think the scarcity of it would bring buzz to the game. It would be a change from all the free games out there. Would the disruptive action be noticed, I think so.

The forums I think would have to stay off limit to public viewing to keep up the mystery.

Way to push the massive multiplayer aspect of the MMO. :-

As for Gmail, you can see how well that turned out. Now we have this really amazing commun...oh, wait...

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

It would have to be a community based game.  But your idea is interesting.

One way to do it would to make it guild based.  Start each server with 10 guilds (50 or less people).  Then allow those guild leaders to each vote on new guilds that want to join.  Do a majority or a super majority vote to let new guilds in.  Let them apply with guild history, demeanor, playstyle, ages, attitude, member names, etc. Create some free for all servers for players that cannot get in to a good server. Allow guilds to be kicked off such a server as well.  I bet it would create some really good exclusive servers made up of very good people.  Along with conversely some very bad servers.  It would certainly be worth playing such a game to watch how things evolve.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Thats terrible in so many ways and wouldn't even come close to achieve your goal.

What a sick elitism, id rather play with a spoiled brat.

Originally posted by vmoped
    Originally posted by FinalFikus

Statistically speaking aren't most predators linked to the victims through social and familial ties?

Cheers!

yep, that's how it works now.

Originally posted by H.Coelho

Thats terrible in so many ways and wouldn't even come close to achieve your goal.

What a sick elitism, id rather play with a spoiled brat.

You don't protect your investments?

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    MMOIRPG - Massively Multiplayer Online Invitation Role Playing Game
    Isaiah 41:10
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Sounds like a great way to ensure an early bankruptcy. 

Originally posted by Talemire
    MMOIRPG - Massively Multiplayer Online Invitation Role Playing Game

Check your mail to see if you've gotten yours!!

Marketing dream if money want important for a while.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

If you look at some recent high-profile "beta" releases, it wouldn't surprise me if more games start trying this.

Personally I don't like it because I keep my real life social circle and my gaming circle disconnected and have no intention of ever changing that.  I want games that are about helping build new communities, not about exploiting pre-existing communities.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Could go either way, but the most likely way is that eventually someone would get invited that someone else had a problem with and that person would invite another player that is perceived as a problem, and so on. The community would likely experience dissent and dissatisfaction because of the country club model upon which the game was released and then it would be up to admins to step in and be evil overlords or watch their game spiral into exactly what they were trying to avoid by making it invite-only in the first place. Instilling a sense of exclusivity early on could grow into big problems as the community grows. Interesting idea, though.
  • richarddoylericharddoyle Member UncommonPosts: 84

Sure, you could do that.

If every member of your small community was willing to shell out $150+/mo sub to make up for the tiny population.

Also, who is deciding who is an "insect" and who isn't?

Played: DAoC, AC2, WoW, CoH, GW, GW2, WAR, AoC, Champions Online, Rift, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, Warframe, Neverwinter, Dungeon Fighter Online

Currently Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online Global

Waiting for: None

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    A more financially viable solution would be to have invite only, whole world instances for groups of players. Sort of like what is done in some FPS lobbies.

Still, it might take the massive out of mmorpg, or morpg, I guess.

Originally posted by maplestone

If you look at some recent high-profile "beta" releases, it wouldn't surprise me if more games start trying this.

Personally I don't like it because I keep my real life social circle and my gaming circle disconnected and have no intention of ever changing that.  I want games that are about helping build new communities, not about exploiting pre-existing communities.

That is true.

What builds a good community?

Who does the inviting?

Warhammer was actually fun as hell, until people started playing the game completely different than was intended.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Path of Exiles "1 random person per hour gets a closed beta invite" early development lasted for a year at least.

It was pretty boring and a ghost town where you might see 1-2 AFK people in a period of 2-3 days.  Not much different for the chat either.

Same for stuff like project 1999, it might be like the old game, but it's deserted as hell and pointless.

Really doesn't work for either end of the spectrum, both "pretty much single player" and "needs tons of people playing together" come off as pretty lackluster.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Honestly it might work, but at the same time there would be some people abusing the system. Lets say Player A gets 3 invites. He or she doesn't know anyone to invite, so they decide to go sell them on ebay, selling to a gold farmer, who then in turn sells their invites, then starts a giant chain of invites that are to people that wouldn't be good on the community of such a game. 
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

It may work. As a medium-size community, p2p only. The main thing is to find some specific niche - and then up to it. Example: you know that people who have pets (cats. dogs...) would like to play not High Elf with Bow of Death vs Evil Orc with Axe of Bloodthirst, but rather Apricot Poodle vs Big Stray Cat. Hence, a very speicfic audience is targeted and invited.

Each member gets responsible for his/her invite. If John invited Peter and Peter was a goldscammer - both are kicked. This system does exist in certain invite-only torrent trackers and so far lives without any problem.

Financially it may work (one person mentioned about Guilds system), but only if there is no cash shop. Pay subscription and enjoy game, all you want is purchasable with in-game currency only.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Most beta communities are better than after they go to launch. Unless a game is just terrible or making changes no one seems to like, people seem to get along pretty well in beta.

Closed communities would probably have the same experience but how would you ever convince an investor that turning way thousands of people would make them more money in the long run. Kickstarter I guess would be your only answer to that.