Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: Heroes of the Storm BlizzCon Hands-On Preview

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Mike Bitton is at BlizzCon, taking in all the news, and got some solid hands-on time with Blizzard's MOBA, Heroes of the Storm. Read on for his first impressions!

Like many others attending BlizzCon this year, we had a chance to sample Heroes of the Storm, Blizzard’s first official foray into the MOBA (or as they like to call it, ‘Hero Brawler’) genre. The game has gone through a number of iterations, but Blizzard seems to have finally settled on what they want to do with this project and the results are fairly surprising.

Read the rest of Mike's Heroes of the Storm: BlizzCon Hands-On Preview.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    This honestly looks rather fun, its MOBA but with map specific objectives that should make it more interesting.  Visualy it looks good too the older previews I saw looked like SC2 mods, this looks like it's own thing.

here is a short 3min PvP cast from Blizzcon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6EPdShKIt0

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    it looks exactly like a HON/Dota2 copy with some Star Craft/ WoW stuff throw in. not impressed.
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    it looks exactly like a HON/Dota2 copy with some Star Craft/ WoW stuff throw in. not impressed.

Plenty different;

1. there is no last hit mechanic
    2. there is no shop (as there is no gold)
    3. shared experience gains amoung your team (less selfish play)
    4. there are character skill tree's and skill choices as you level in a match
    5. jungle mobs join you side when you beat them
    6. more and different types of buildings & forts
    7. you can summon creatures to fight for you (map objectives)
    8. you can trigger map specific events and effects (map objectives)
    Yes the end objective is the same but it's very different to HONLOLDOTA2

Now I am no DOTA fan but I'll give it a bash as it's blizzard.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    It's not very different. It's the same game. Could still be fun perhaps.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Looks like it could be a fun moba.  No quest grind, I like it.
  • NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Looks like it could be a fun moba.  No quest grind, I like it.

What are you talking? Quests in MOBA?!

• MambaliciousMambalicious Member Posts: 14
    Looking forward to this,seems fun.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    If it's very early Beta, then it could be that items aren't in yet.  Only recently did Infinite Crisis add their items purchase to character select that sets your character to a very specific style in that match.   Besides lacking items, was there any indication of talent trees and/or Runes?  These could be things that further increase playability depending on their application.  If they weren't shown, it doesn't mean that they're not off the table completely.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I can finally play as Illidan, my dreams have come true.
  • kraizykraizy Member UncommonPosts: 52
    But what looks like dota is the slow combat gameplay and that looks like the same.
  • UCOMUCOM Member UncommonPosts: 14

Just me or does it feel very stiff/slowpaste?

full match here - shows how different it is to LOL in terms of objectives; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTbLRqRGxeM 

-siege giants

- underground level

• basscatsbasscats Member UncommonPosts: 3
    meh.
    Ty for the link expresso.
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

This game will beat out LOL and DOTA in the long run.

People are sick of 1 hour long matches where half the game involves farming minions and where you argue with teammates that want to farm and not team up and play the actual game against other players.

Also this has a lot of original features and more maps and stuff to keep it fresh while the current  MOBAs all use the same map over and over pretty much.

All MOBAs are based off warcrafts lore and game, so to me this is the original and all of the characters are not clones taken from blizzard games, they are the ones from blizzard games.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

Normally I would be first in line to try to bash anything with Blizzards name on it, but in all honesty, this one looks rather fun. Unlike many of their other games like WoW and Hearthstone that are just copy and paste games, this one is actually making a unique take on the MOBA genre. 

Well this could either go really good or really bad. On one hand, breaking the mold and trying something new could be a break-out hit, and grow a huge following, and offer something for those that have always felt LOL was lacking in some areas. On the other hand, getting away from the convention sometimes leads to a niche title with disastrous endings. 

Personally, i really hope for the former, but knowing the MMO and MOBA communities, it could easily be the latter. 

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    looks pretty terrible. yet another blizzard game where they feel they need to hold your hand at every step.
    Originally posted by khameleon

This game will beat out LOL and DOTA in the long run.

People are sick of 1 hour long matches where half the game involves farming minions and where you argue with teammates that want to farm and not team up and play the actual game against other players.

Also this has a lot of original features and more maps and stuff to keep it fresh while the current  MOBAs all use the same map over and over pretty much.

All MOBAs are based off warcrafts lore and game, so to me this is the original and all of the characters are not clones taken from blizzard games, they are the ones from blizzard games.

^Exactly.

This looks like it might be how WC3 used to be where you're quick to start and quick to finish.

Infinite Crisis is like this as well.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    If it takes you an hour to finish a match in Dota2 or LoL you are doing it wrong.  
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    sigh diablo riding rainbow pony

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I simply do not (cannot) understand the appeal of MOBA's. I've tried :(((
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • batmonbatmon Member Posts: 2

Game looks fly and fast paste.  Love how blizzard isn't keeping it a traditional moba. This actually has diff maps and game moods. Your jungle mobs will actually fight for you. no item required. which makes out for even  harder and more fast paste lane action.  Plus the mini games that have bonuses.  This is definitely something I'm looking forward to.  If your into mobas definitely  worth checking out.

Glad to see blizzard changing it up and not keeping it so traditional

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Nice to see their bringing Warcraft III back again.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by bbbb42
    sigh diablo riding rainbow pony

When I saw that I fell off the chair laughing.