Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need a MMORPG to play, and I can't find one.

MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

I've tried:

Final Fantasy XI (favorite MMORPG)

Final Fantasy XIV / ARR(Prefered 1.23)

Tera (Boring dungeon grinder, not actual action combat)

Rift (WoW clone, but from the good days, but the world just feels so bland and generic)

Everquest 1 & 2 (I actually liked these, but well, their time is past, it's hard to fit into such tight nit communities)

Lineage 2 (I sort of liked this as well, the combat was the style I prefer, but it just got so grindy after a point)

RuneScape (Love it, one of my favorite MMORPGS, great Combat system, interesting quests and fun world. ♥♥♥♥ community, and it becomes too grindy to do anything as well)

The Secret World (Enjoyable stories, in-depth combat, though animations suck. Fun world - but it lacks any community. It is like a SP game.)

World of WarCraft (Played 2005-2006, some of 2007, but eventually became bored as the community slowly devolved into only wanting to do Raids and not have random fun.)

The 4th Coming (An interesting MMORPG, 2.5D, and I enjoyed it, however it's just not really active anymore and I hate playing MMOs where no one talks.)

ArchLord (Buggy, mess of a game, not really fun.)

Cabal Online (Liked it's combat, but the game lacks personality.)

Dark Age of Camelot (Fun, but like I said, the community is so well developed, that as a new player, trying to wedge yourself in it is nearly impossible.)

Guild Wars (Tons of fun, which I played thousands of hours.)

Guild Wars 2 (Decently interesting, where I put tens of hours, but hate how it became more generic than GW1.)

Darkfall (All versions, laughable, what an utter joke.)

Dynasty Warriors Online (Interesting concept, but just not fleshed out.)

Vindictus (This was the first MMORPG since FFXI that got me into insanely hyped mode, and I enjoyed it immensely, but lack of open world, and the immense grinding needed to progress got to me.)

EVE Online (I enjoyed it my first two weeks, after that it became such a chore to play that I merely logged in to train skills. My friend even gave me like 550M to do whatever I wanted with, and even with all that money, I still had trouble, simply because I do not enioy PVP.)

Face of Mankind (Addicted to this, lost many days of school, but it's been up and down, and is a shadow of what it once was)

Kal Online (Boring)

Knight Online (It was actually well developed, but I can't find my account after so many years.)

Mabinoghi (I liked it, but it just was another game that suffered from total community shutdown)

Mortal Online (Buggy pos, with potential that will never be reached.)

MU Online (Can't remember much.)

Neverwinter Online ( Liked some aspects, but it just has no staying power.)

Perfect World / Forsaken World (As generic as a Korean MMORPG can get.)

PSO2 (Only played the Asian version, liked it, but without an English version, can't really fairly rate.)

Ragnarok Online (Fun, interesting art style, but it's really just one of those games that lacks from any clear direction or point.)

Ragnarok Online 2 (Utter trash to cash in on the Ragnarok name.)

SMT: Imagine (I liked this, however it too, lacked a goal or community.)

Silkroad Online (One of the better Korean grinders, but still, I just couldn't find anyone who would talk.)

Tantra Online (Sexy combat and semi decent world, no community.)

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes (Meh...all there is to say)

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (Wow Clone with good lore and interesting world, but no community, and is shutting down.)

Aion (Korean grindfest with the same combat as Rift / WoW / clones.)

Age of Wushu (God, could you get anymore pay to win? They sell god damned stats in the shop.)

Lunia (Good art, fun gameplay, lack of world.)

DoMO

Dofus

Atlantica Online

Age of Conan (So much potential...my 100$ CE sitting here and my tears looking at it.)

9Dragons

Flyff

RF Online

RaiderZ

SWTOR (Besides the stories, much like TSW, once done, there's no reason to stay.)

LoTRO( Good, but dead community)

DDO (Completely dead.)

Last Chaos (I enjoyed it, but lacked anything to well, do.)

Rappelz (Like a cheap Lineage 2 ripoff)

ArcheAge doesn't really interest me.

Wurm will never be finished, relaly.

Shaiya

2Moons

9Dragons

Also, that new Dragon game, where you can capture Dragons. No staying power. There's a few I missed. It's hard to remember them all, I can remember some, but not their name. I have also not listed MMORPGs that have been completely shut down, didn't feel a need too.

I want a MMORPG to play, but they either lack community, re-use WoW's dated combat system mechanics, or are just too easy with no sense of reward(Hitting max level in a week and best gear by the end of the month.)

I also hate games that promote solo play. I want to be forced into a party to continue to level, not hit max level grinding mobs & quests solo. Looking at WildStar, it doesn't interest me. Everquest Next does not as well. Elder Scrolls Online looks mildly interesting, until I heard of it's megaserver idea.

Camelot Unchained isn't due out til 2016, and the MMO line up is dry now. What is there to play?!

(I've also left out stuff like Maple Story / Gaia , ect, cause I don't really see them as MMORPGS. There's no actual Browser based MMORPG besides RuneScape.)

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Go try Eldevin , from your post , i think you wpould enjoy it and it will hold your interest for a while .. its in OB now and will release at the end of the month ...

http://eldevin.com/

• cancerize2cancerize2 Member Posts: 1

Come and Play Jade Dynasty, click here to download

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    join the club, mkilbride.  If you find one, let me know.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• salaciouscrumbssalaciouscrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 169

Until something good comes out, you can try Project1999.org. The classic EQ1 server that is free, above board and legal. Got a huge community there and it's very friendly, lots of new players.

I hear you though - there's nothing compelling out there right now for anyone who wants to think and be challenged. At least not for me.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Lolwut?  What server are you on?  

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    I am on Brandywine. I can run around for an hour shouting in all the major towns and not see a single person.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Blimey OP you pretty much covered all bases with that post,I'm sort of in the same position have GW2 but only play it on the odd occasion and only testing Beta's ,besides that no major Mo atm.

Pretty much hanging on in hope that Wildstar might actually be good ESO maybe EQnext and this Albion seems to look good on paper,and Black Desert and Archeage peaks my interest when they finally release that is.

Did try Eldevin beta did have potential it was the closest to Runescape I've seen for a while will give it another whirl sometime soon.

p>
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Same boat as Op, don't even play MMO's now there all well, just crap...

Gone back to FPS shooters for now till some of the new MMO's arrive.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Planetside 2, especially since your waiting on camelot unchained, and they are both pure pvp rvr mmos.

Also I hear age of wyshu is fun.

Other than that there's elite dangerous & starbound early 2014.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

Here are a few recommendations:

Vendetta Online

Let me earnestly suggest Vendetta Online, if you haven't tried it already.  I am currently playing it, and really enjoying the experience.  We've seen a lot of new updates recently.  The community is small, but very active; not the least part of which includes community-driven events and the PCC.  Then there's the fact you can play the same character on mobile or desktop, carrying your progress with you wherever you go.  I've had to check myself from time to time because it gets insanely addicting.  Logging on for just 5 minutes to make "just one trade" in-system is... great.  PvP is deep, and well-honed.

Neocron

The download on Neocron is a little large, and the graphics are a little dated, but overall I really liked the "feel" of this game.  I'm not knocking Planetside 2, but to me there just didn't seem to be enough of a RPG there to get me interested.  Neocron is it; there is a large, gritty world, player housing, in-game email system (lol image) and the Hacknet (think "The Matrix"... Tron-style).  The game is 100% free and community-maintained, which really says something.

The following are not MMORPGs, but worth a look (and also are on this site's gamelist):

Minecraft

I still enjoy playing this from time to time, although I mostly stick to the mobile app.  I recommend trying Survival Multiplayer.

War Thunder

There's a solid game in the works here, although it may be slightly (here it comes...) P2W.  Technically, I think War Thunder had Oculus Rift support before Vendetta, but WT isn't what I would consider a MMORPG (unless you count games like CoD).  I've always enjoyed flight sims, which is why I picked this one up.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I think there are lots of people in the same boat right now. Looking for something new and exciting and there really hasn't been anything for a while. I try going back and playing older games but they just don't hold my interest for very long. I went back to GW2 which I played for a week or so and gave up again, played PoE for a few days again and quit. Lately I just spend my time in some Planetside 2 and Battlefield 4 while waiting.

I like how I said MMORPG and people start to list FPS, or games I already put on my list. I guess I can't blame them for not reading the whole list though, it's rather long and not exactly written in an easy way.

Still, thanks for your continued suggestions.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

What's that in your sig, the game you're waiting for?

We're between launches of the "next holder of the DAoC legacy!" at the moment. Nothing else you can legitimately expect to 'fill in' short term.

In the meantime, try an ARPG or MOBA or something.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

I've tried:

Final Fantasy XI (favorite MMORPG)

Final Fantasy XIV / ARR(Prefered 1.23)

Tera (Boring dungeon grinder, not actual action combat)

Rift (WoW clone, but from the good days, but the world just feels so bland and generic)

Everquest 1 & 2 (I actually liked these, but well, their time is past, it's hard to fit into such tight nit communities)

Lineage 2 (I sort of liked this as well, the combat was the style I prefer, but it just got so grindy after a point)

RuneScape (Love it, one of my favorite MMORPGS, great Combat system, interesting quests and fun world. ♥♥♥♥ community, and it becomes too grindy to do anything as well)

The Secret World (Enjoyable stories, in-depth combat, though animations suck. Fun world - but it lacks any community. It is like a SP game.)

World of WarCraft (Played 2005-2006, some of 2007, but eventually became bored as the community slowly devolved into only wanting to do Raids and not have random fun.)

The 4th Coming (An interesting MMORPG, 2.5D, and I enjoyed it, however it's just not really active anymore and I hate playing MMOs where no one talks.)

ArchLord (Buggy, mess of a game, not really fun.)

Cabal Online (Liked it's combat, but the game lacks personality.)

Dark Age of Camelot (Fun, but like I said, the community is so well developed, that as a new player, trying to wedge yourself in it is nearly impossible.)

Guild Wars (Tons of fun, which I played thousands of hours.)

Guild Wars 2 (Decently interesting, where I put tens of hours, but hate how it became more generic than GW1.)

Darkfall (All versions, laughable, what an utter joke.)

Dynasty Warriors Online (Interesting concept, but just not fleshed out.)

Vindictus (This was the first MMORPG since FFXI that got me into insanely hyped mode, and I enjoyed it immensely, but lack of open world, and the immense grinding needed to progress got to me.)

EVE Online (I enjoyed it my first two weeks, after that it became such a chore to play that I merely logged in to train skills. My friend even gave me like 550M to do whatever I wanted with, and even with all that money, I still had trouble, simply because I do not enioy PVP.)

Face of Mankind (Addicted to this, lost many days of school, but it's been up and down, and is a shadow of what it once was)

Kal Online (Boring)

Knight Online (It was actually well developed, but I can't find my account after so many years.)

Mabinoghi (I liked it, but it just was another game that suffered from total community shutdown)

Mortal Online (Buggy pos, with potential that will never be reached.)

MU Online (Can't remember much.)

Neverwinter Online ( Liked some aspects, but it just has no staying power.)

Perfect World / Forsaken World (As generic as a Korean MMORPG can get.)

PSO2 (Only played the Asian version, liked it, but without an English version, can't really fairly rate.)

Ragnarok Online (Fun, interesting art style, but it's really just one of those games that lacks from any clear direction or point.)

Ragnarok Online 2 (Utter trash to cash in on the Ragnarok name.)

SMT: Imagine (I liked this, however it too, lacked a goal or community.)

Silkroad Online (One of the better Korean grinders, but still, I just couldn't find anyone who would talk.)

Tantra Online (Sexy combat and semi decent world, no community.)

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes (Meh...all there is to say)

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (Wow Clone with good lore and interesting world, but no community, and is shutting down.)

Aion (Korean grindfest with the same combat as Rift / WoW / clones.)

Age of Wushu (God, could you get anymore pay to win? They sell god damned stats in the shop.)

Lunia (Good art, fun gameplay, lack of world.)

DoMO

Dofus

Atlantica Online

Age of Conan (So much potential...my 100$ CE sitting here and my tears looking at it.)

9Dragons

Flyff

RF Online

RaiderZ

SWTOR (Besides the stories, much like TSW, once done, there's no reason to stay.)

DDO (Completely dead.)

Last Chaos (I enjoyed it, but lacked anything to well, do.)

Rappelz (Like a cheap Lineage 2 ripoff)

ArcheAge doesn't really interest me.

Also, that new Dragon game, where you can capture Dragons. No staying power. There's a few I missed. It's hard to remember them all, I can remember some, but not their name. I have also not listed MMORPGs that have been completely shut down, didn't feel a need too.

I want a MMORPG to play, but they either lack community, re-use WoW's dated combat system mechanics, or are just too easy with no sense of reward(Hitting max level in a week and best gear by the end of the month.)

I also hate games that promote solo play. I want to be forced into a party to continue to level, not hit max level grinding mobs & quests solo. Looking at WildStar, it doesn't interest me. Everquest Next does not as well. Elder Scrolls Online looks mildly interesting, until I heard of it's megaserver idea.

Camelot Unchained isn't due out til 2016, and the MMO line up is dry now. What is there to play?!

(I've also left out stuff like Maple Story / Gaia , ect, cause I don't really see them as MMORPGS. There's no actual Browser based MMORPG besides RuneScape.)

Fallen Earth? But seriously are you really looking for a game? Something makes me think that anything suggested will be shot down by you.

• AvaglaorAvaglaor Member UncommonPosts: 25

Join the club, it seems that we have to wait for a few months... 

I dont see in ur list,  

Requiem: Memento Mori http://www.playrequiem.com/index.aspx

Just to spend some hours ;)

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    man i got nothing bearable to play either....might as well hibernate ~_~

hallo ~_~

Fallen Earth, yes, I know of it, but it's a MMOFPS once again. Not a MMORPG.

I just want a party-based MMORPG where you need to interact with others to advance, and cannot solo to max level.

I just want a party-based MMORPG where you need to interact with others to advance, and cannot solo to max level.

well that applies to fallen earth

Originally posted by Icewhite

What's that in your sig, the game you're waiting for?

We're between launches of the "next holder of the DAoC legacy!" at the moment. Nothing else you can legitimately expect to 'fill in' short term.

In the meantime, try an ARPG or MOBA or something.

disagree, planetside 2 more the scratches my daoc rvr itch.  In my opinion second best rvr game ever, beter than ps1, better than war, better than aion, vastly superior to gw2 and its red vs blue vs green because magic.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    It looks to me like you are just either burnt out, or S.O.L..  Probably more like both.  Looking at your list of played I would say you have "been there and done that" as far as what MMOs have to offer.  My suggestion?  Take a break for a bit and play some single player games for a while.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog

Same boat as Op, don't even play MMO's now there all well, just crap...

Gone back to FPS shooters for now till some of the new MMO's arrive.

same here.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by goldtoof

Which is a MMOFPS.

And yeah, I've been off the MMO Band wagon for a long time, playing other games and hoping for something new.

FFXIV 1.23, released in 2010, had promise, with all the updates they added...then we got A Realm Reborn, which made the best way to level "Fates" where you can literally set yourself on auto-follow and level up...

• MaurizioMaurizio Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by rodingo
    It looks to me like you are just either burnt out, or S.O.L..  Probably more like both.  Looking at your list of played I would say you have "been there and done that" as far as what MMOs have to offer.  My suggestion?  Take a break for a bit and play some single player games for a while.

Some people are just impossible to please at times like this. They basically just close everything off because they are at the state of mind that nothing is good enough, so no matter what you throw at them its just not good enough. Its not just this OP that seems to have this, ive also gone through it at one time, but ive taught myself that not everything is always going to be perfect and just found games that had some main things that interested me.

I too had hoped for 10+ years now that something will come out, something will come out... LOL reality is harsh when you come to realize nothing ever will come out to how you want it, there are always going to be aspects that push you away from a game with such huge promise. You either have to learn to overcome it or just continue to hope.

Good luck with your search.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by goldtoof

Originally posted by Mkilbride Fallen Earth, yes, I know of it, but it's a MMOFPS once again. Not a MMORPG.   I just want a party-based MMORPG where you need to interact with others to advance, and cannot solo to max level.
    Which is a MMOFPS.

That is not accurate. Fallen earth is indeed an mmorpg.

Pointing your gun at an enemy just highlights them. its the granddaddy of what companies are trying to push now, (mouse over instead of tab target).

In comparison, Its the same as TSW in reticule mode.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125

Runescape

Oh you already mentioned it. Well I guess I just don't know. Stop looking and let it come to you.