Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Person Shooter that...

CrandenthallCrandenthall Member Posts: 5
I am looking for a First Person Shooter that allows my friends and I to create a private room.  Of even allow one of us to host on out computer.  It doesn't have to be a free game.  My friends and I used to play Combat Arms, but now for some reason it will block one of us or we'll get kicked.  All of us have formated our computers and have done everything we could to figure out the problem.  We gave up, if it's not me not being able to log in, then it will be one of the others from our group.  We are just looking for a decent FPS that will allow us all to play Free for all, and Co OP would be nice as well.  Even an older game is fine as long as it runs on Windows 7.   I was looking at Battle Field 2 but wasn't sure if it would run on windows 7 and didn't know if we could play together or not.   Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152

Check out Counter Strike: Source. One of the greatest FPS of all time in my opinion. There's also the new Counter Strike, which is Counter Strike: Global Offensive. 

I know for a fact Counter Strike: Source has all the requirements you are looking for. Hosting a private room on your computer for you and your friends. 

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Quake 3, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life Deathmatch, TFC, Counter-Strike/Source (not sure about GO), Quake 2, Ghost Recon, many, many more. Even the original Doom will let you do this.

Admittedly some of these are slightly harder to setup than others (creating my own private CS:S server did require some googling to see what I needed to set up, but it worked in the end along with bots).

All available on Steam. Is there something more specific other than just being able to create a private FFA lobby?

IE do you care if it's a lobby that stays up visible in a server browser, or is it okay if you need to do a direct ip/lan connection (typing in to the console "connect XX.XX.XX.XX" as an example)?

You may also want to try fpsguru as well, as I'm sure there'll be more people that are more than happy to answer anything.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    How many of you are there trying to play?

You make me like charity

• CrandenthallCrandenthall Member Posts: 5
    thanks for all the suggestions very helpful.
    we are a corse group of 10, but we are seldom all on at the sametime.  so 4 to 6 at a time.

We are a core group of 4 that like to play together.  We like to have the ability to play in a privite room so we can not be bothered with those that hack and cheat.  We played Combat Arms for along time and liked it, but for some reason anyone of us in the core group can not  log in at a given time.  We played MoHa for years and loved it, but then we stopped playing when gamespy died.  I can't even find my key codes to try that game out to see if it runs on Windows 7.  We just want a game that has Free for all Challangen, teams, and co-op.  And a game that maps that  are not huge we are 4 to 6 players.

thanks

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

+1 to what Kaijin2k3 wrote, pretty much every "older" fps is a good match.

Personally I'd vote to CS, for a mostly standard group it's great, you can fill up the teams with bots or can play 2v2, 3v3 matches with 4-6 people. The map sizes are perfect for that (not o mention there are truckloads of maps on the web, plus map editors as well).

Edit: it runs on Win7 ofc, the setting is very easy, you can quickly set up a server and allow your buddies to join.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Counterstrike source
    Serious Sam 3
    Left 4 dead 2
    Shadow warrior

Any of them

If you drop coop, then Unreal Tournament has everything you listed. Specifically UT2004, which has a crapton of mod support. UT3 is newer, but never really got going, so the mod pickings are quite slim and you will mostly be stuck with what comes with the game.

That is assuming your friends and yourself like the older and much faster paced shooters.

If FFA, Team and Coop are ALL a must, then that narrows it all down significantly. CS is always a go-to shooter, but lacks coop and true FFA. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head that have all three are: Serious Sam series, Quake 2, original Ghost Recon and Rainbow 6 (I'd also add Operation Flashpoint, but that was at terrible game for 4-6 players since the maps were enormous).

PC versions of Halo and Halo 2 had them all, but Microsoft shut down online support for them years ago iirc.

But if coop is not a must, then as po_gg said, any of the older FPS will suit you. At that point, it'll be a question of what you guys like: the older, faster paced shooters (Unreal, Quake, Half Life DM, etc), the more modern day shooters (Counter-Strike, Battlefield 2, etc), or the closest to simulation (Ghost Recon 1, Rainbow Six 3 and before, etc).

Nearly every non MMO-ish FPS will let you set up your own private server, btw. The only ones I can think of that can't are the most recent Call of Duty 4's, though the original CoD4 let you make your own dedicated server (that one could also be an option to look at).

EDIT: I forgot to suggest Doom 3, but you'll need a mod to support coop.

• BerathBerath Member Posts: 3

Someone has already mentioned Left 4 Dead 2

Also Killing Floor is a game we've enjoyed..I think you can set up private rooms.

Play LoTRO with The Silent Minority
    Play everything else with Who Dares Grins!
    http://www.wdgclan.co.uk/

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Quake live. The greatest, most skill based and most pure FPS of all time.
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Crandenthall
    We are a core group of 4 that like to play together.  We like to have the ability to play in a privite room so we can not be bothered with those that hack and cheat.  We played Combat Arms for along time and liked it, but for some reason anyone of us in the core group can not  log in at a given time.  We played MoHa for years and loved it, but then we stopped playing when gamespy died.  I can't even find my key codes to try that game out to see if it runs on Windows 7.  We just want a game that has Free for all Challangen, teams, and co-op.  And a game that maps that  are not huge we are 4 to 6 players. thanks

Its sad to hear that you have same reason why i almost don't play online with others anymore becouse of damn cheaters sad realy sad how so many have sink this way to a bottom low make a multiplayer for honest players a nightmare a corrupted experience bah:(

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• powermushroompowermushroom Member Posts: 5
    Killing Floor...always good to play with friends.