Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just got to 90 and...

darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

GOT FUCKING BANNED!  I spent a year getting my Hunter to 90 and was just going to the timeless isle.  Check my email and it says that my account is banned.

Now Blizzard has sent me messages saying that someone tried to access my account, please change your password.  Which I would do but there was no communication that the account WAS BEING USED and I was actually hacked.

I have placed a ticket, and reaching out to others who may have been banned for the wrong reasons asking if I have any other options or is the ticket it?

I'm 100% fighting this

In hindsight Blizzard does a horrible job managing hacking.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Why so mad?

Blizzard has asked you to change your password as they saw some unusual activity on your account, change your password, get an authenticator (free on mobile) and continue playing.

This all assuming the email was real and you didn't click a link in said email which is the reason your account got banned in the first instance.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I wouldnt worry. I hear Blizzard is giving away 90's these days.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by expresso

Why so mad?

Blizzard has asked you to change your password as they saw some unusual activity on your account, change your password, get an authenticator (free on mobile) and continue playing.

This all assuming the email was real and you didn't click a link in said email which is the reason your account got banned in the first instance.

Because I have changed my password and the issue was never suspicion.  It was an actual hack and neither I nor Blizzard seemed to find, and when they deemed it hacked they banned without recourse.  That is wrong.

I work in Security Industry for over 2 decades and familiar with simple phishing scams.

Still my question is not answered what additional options are there for dispute.  And my answer may be none which would be disappointing.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

GOT FUCKING BANNED!  I spent a year getting my Hunter to 90 and was just going to the timeless isle.  Check my email and it says that my account is banned.

Now Blizzard has sent me messages saying that someone tried to access my account, please change your password.  Which I would do but there was no communication that the account WAS BEING USED and I was actually hacked.

I have placed a ticket, and reaching out to others who may have been banned for the wrong reasons asking if I have any other options or is the ticket it?

I'm 100% fighting this

Thanks for your help.

My wife had this happen once, my son once, and myself once.  It has never taken more than an hour to get it sorted out.  The ticket system is pretty fast and they have a number to call as well, which is even faster.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Could also be a fake scam mail. Have you tried logging in?

And I hope you haven't clicked any link in that mail.

Authentic.  Tried to logon and cannot.  Also cannot access us.battle.net.

The issue is the suspicious activity wasn't suspicious it was being used by someone else but Blizzard didn;t do anything about it except ask me to change my password then they banned me. Their process is broken and looking to reverse.

Seems only recourse is wait for the ticket response which is 48 hours.  Rediculous.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

I'm 100% fighting this

Thanks for your help.

My wife had this happen once, my son once, and myself once.  It has never taken more than an hour to get it sorted out.  The ticket system is pretty fast and they have a number to call as well, which is even faster.

Thank you. I have restored faith no hearing someone who has went through it.  I will wait for the ticket.

Do you know use the authenticator to prevent it in the future?  I did not use it (as I didnt feel there was a need) since I am already paranoid when it comes to security but may be useful going forward.

EDIT: I just tried the number and they are closed on Saturdays.  So looks like I will not be in Azeroth all weekend.  Sucks.

Originally posted by Epicent
    I wouldnt worry. I hear Blizzard is giving away 90's these days.

Which is actually a great option (you dont have to do it) but thats another topic ;-)

I worry because I want *my* 90 that I worked so hard to learn and groom.  Ticket seems to be the best option.  It has happened to others and they were rectified.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

lol, I get these scam emails all the time telling me my account got hacked or I got banned.

if you entered login information on a faked battlemet site, your account is gone now

@docbrady

I dont think you read all my posts. I was working on computer security before the Internet went commercial. I know how phising works and I wasnt subject to that.

This is a legitimate battle.net ban but for the wrong rreasons.I have to go through the ticket process to correct

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    You've worked in computer security for 20 years and you don't have an authenticator?
  • peanutabcpeanutabc Member UncommonPosts: 175

just phone them up.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

Same thing happened to my old house mate a few years ago. However, at that time I was actually online when his account got hacked and I knew for a  fact that he was asleep when it said that he logged on. He called Blizzard and was placed on hold for almost 2 hours. When he was finally able to talk to someone he confirmed his identity and got the account back.

When he logged back in they had sold most of his equipment and epic loots and basically stripped his account for gold. Blizzard actually has a process to restore lost items depending on the situation.

The lesson learned from this experience is always use an authenticator. We both downloaded the app for our smartphones that night and we never had anymore problems with account security after that.

Rest assured, if there was fraudulent access of your account Blizzard is usually pretty good about fixing the situation as best as possible.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    @docbrady

I dont think you read all my posts. I was working on computer security before the Internet went commercial. I know how phising works and I wasnt subject to that.

This is a legitimate battle.net ban but for the wrong rreasons.I have to go through the ticket process to correct

that's good then, surely can be resolved if you phone support I guess.

how do hackers even hack an account then, trojans? how can someone even get your login and why target you?

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by expresso

Why so mad?

Because I have changed my password and the issue was never suspicion.  It was an actual hack and neither I nor Blizzard seemed to find, and when they deemed it hacked they banned without recourse.  That is wrong.

I work in Security Industry for over 2 decades and familiar with simple phishing scams.

Still my question is not answered what additional options are there for dispute.  And my answer may be none which would be disappointing.

If you work in Security then you  would know this is standard practice!

What do you want them to do? Keep Your account open and let the hacker continue, potentially log into Your just lvl90 character. Transfer away all gold and sell all gear and then delete it.

No. They do the right thing, by banning Your account and send you a Notification email.

It's a temporary ban. You change Your password and then Call them to get Your account re-instated.

And seriously! If you work in Security, you really should know better and use an authenticator for Your game accounts whenever possible!

I have physical authenticators for practically all games I currently play (except TSW) and never got a single account of mine hacked.

So I think you're just trolling us and not work in Security at all.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    [mod edit]

LOL! Blizzard is actually one of the better Companies that has good procedures for account revovery in Place!

They can exactly see in their Security logs from which IP's Your account has been used.

So if what you say is true, they can easily verfiy it and re-instate Your account and recover Your character(s).

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    I receive blizzard warning once a day .if I was to listen to hacker I would endlessly change my password .call blizzard .
  • palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

I'm 100% fighting this

Thanks for your help.

You .....! Sorry for that.  This is scam to get your password, it is not from Blizzard. I have tons of this kind of email

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

agree op is full of ****, getting hacked is hard, but happened even to me usually when I stop playing, wonder how that works O_o, anyway they always lock account and recovery process is automated,even if you fail to follow automated process ( like your account got locked 2 years ago , you didnt bothered reading anyblizz emails or gave a shit )  like it happened to me, all it took was opening support ticked in late evening, next morning my account was up and running + reassurance my character still have all its gear .

Thats all it took to get account unlocked after not using it for 2+ years, i remember i had some problems while playing too and all you had to do was follow on screen instructions.

You work in it , heck security industry but you want someone to tell you your account was hacked, maybe ask hacker to tell you, because automated email from blizzard stating that your account was compromised and locked to prevent harm is clearly not obvious enough , for anyone with any knowledge it would be faster to unlock an account that to write a single forum post, let a lone + 10 replies

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

Incredible.

Use authenticator. Simple.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Work in the Security Industry as a security guard most probably, because your lack of internets saviness makes me think you got a virus on your pc which stole your accounts details (and which you were not smart enough to have an authenticator) or you just fell for a phishing scam and is too ashamed to admit it. 

Which one is it?

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Complex password + authenticator + never trusting any e-mails + keeping AV/anti-Malware up to date + keeping system/security updates current = never hacked or scammed in 9 years off and on WoW play.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    If you want immediate help, call Blizzard customer service to get it sorted out quickly.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I had this happen once back in 2007 and a simple phone call solved the issue.

The worst part was deleting the level 1 characters created by the person on just about every server. For some strange reason, they didn't touch my existing characters.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I got my account stolen twice in my younger years during classic and TBC before i got an authenticator, i was that twerpy kid downloading tons of torrents without checking them so.. Yeah.

But blizzard was always exceptional at restoring everything, they restored characters, lost items, and even let me keep the gold the farmers grinded on my hunter, i made about 7k gold ( dont remember the exact number ) partially actual gold, and the rest from all the materials they farmed for me.

Just contact a GM, explain the situation and I'm sure the results will be pretty good.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    For someone who works in the security industry... I'm disappointed that you do not appear to be using an authenticator.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.