Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor Next Expansion

2»

Comments

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

Garrisons surpasses houses.

It really is like an extende home base like in WC3, with barracks, towers, mining buildings, tavern, ... and all with interiors and decorations.

It will probably take ages to recruit all these NPC's, spec them, outfit them and sending them on missions like fighting, collecting mats, sending them to do doing dungeons etc...

Quite a huge design addition.

And these missions will be done even while you are logged out...

All this is only possible through seamless phasing of course, so no loading screens.

Another good feature: endless open world PvP : like they said: it will be like the original AV but with no end, only several options to conquer side objectives.

Apart from this and HS, this BlizzCon was underwhelming.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Sad truth overall is most of the people complaining probably haven't had any interest in actually playing wow for years. That's true for most MMOs on this site though. People love to just hate on games they don't play.
    Especially when the game they dont play is WoW.

WoD seems like a pretty good expansion so far with a lot of good features. But, then, so was MoP but people on MMORPG.com refused to look past the pandas.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    i like the idea to start at level 90; i have no desire to go back to old content and really disliked Pandaria; I guess Blizz heard the fans that wanted something like the Burning Crusade days, which in my opinion was the best expansion ever; I guess those that wanted something more about druids and emerald dream will have to wait.. 

gameplay > graphics

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

My first reaction:

The good:

- Improved character models, long overdue.

These look absolutely fantastic.  They also have the facial expressions that SoE is going for with EQN.  They look goofy in the screenshots but in the actual animation they look pretty damn cool.  Kind of funny, seeing the WoW art videos has increased my hope for EQN's models.

- Garrisons: looks like "housing" is finally added to WoW, kinda of. And it's open world, not instanced.

Im still not sur eon the open world part.  Sounds more like it will be phased, but you will be able to have your friends see it so im kind of intrigued as to how it will work

The bad:

- More revamping of old content. Not to mention of cheesy the whole thing sounds - travel back in time? Or what? Seriously, that's the most cheesy MMORPG expansion setting ever. Why not something with the emerald dream, something in the present?

Blizzard isnt looking at expansions as a separate novel.  Its a chapter in a bigger novel they have planned.  The first few expansions didnt feed off each other, but thats changed.  they have several expansions lined up for things that people want to see and somehow this expansion will be a catalyst.  Hopefully they can speed up the pace of the chapters though.

- I already disliked the "Outlands" setting, and we get more squid faces from outer space... sigh...

I disliked the desolate outland zones, but they are no longer desolate.  Shadowmoon Valley in particular looks great.  I like orcs and Ogres, and hopefully they do a better job with the draenei this time.

Undecided:

- 7 new zones for 10 more levels... mmhhh... I just hope we won't spend too much time in a single zone, and I also hope there will be several paths to level and not one single linear one like in Pandaria.

As cool of a zone as Jade Forest was, the linearity of it sucked.  The linearity did fade away by the time you reached zones like dread wastes, but I agree with you overall.  Also, I would rather see 12 medium sized zones than 7 large ones.

I will most likely buy this just like I bought all other WoW expansion, but I'm not very impressed so far. That "housing" thing, garrisons, sounds a lot like those Facebook games where you build your own castle, too...

This could be even worse than Cataclysm.

No chance.  Cataclysm was so damn disjointed.  Story line was all over the place with a horrible main villain.  The whole thing made little sense.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    So instead of making a new MMO (AKA TITAN) lets play safe with a new WoW xpac. 
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Camoeb
    At least they aren't charging you $30 per lvl 90 character like SoE is now.

Or €50 like turbine for à level 50 character..

anyway, my biggest problem witth their direction is that they want all plagers in THE Max level range, so that they do not need to spend development time on improving older content

they've addressed older content a lot in the past few expansions.  the whole 1-60 experience is different than used to be.  what a closed minded thing to suggest. 

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by muffins89

they've addressed older content a lot in the past few expansions.  the whole 1-60 experience is different than used to be.

And I actually wish it wasn't. How linear has the world become since Cataclysm...

very.  but tp suggest that haven't re-vamped older content,  as the guy I quoted suggested,  is a falicey.  they are/have been targeting the 10-18 yr old corwd for a long time now (if not since launch).  we grew older and grew tired of it.  blizzard decided to that their target audience was still the younger crowd.  people need to get over it. 

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Open world raid PvP ? Impossible without Microsoft donnybrook .
  • EriccomptonEriccompton Member UncommonPosts: 51

This

I loved when I could scoop up 25 quests, spend time exploring and completing them then turn them all in, a lot less running back and forth. Now it's 1-3 quests at a time; "go do this, come back; go do that, come back" more linear and grindy than ever.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Ask attend,swifty,soda pop in and any that have organized open would mayhem . just. Moving smoothly past 4k in a area is a nightmare . but if they did do open world raid PvP ? ROFL their worry won't be the lack of sub . a lot of player have been waiting for this .
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

A basic level 90 is pretty weak in many respects. For existing players the value of another 90 would probably be as a crafting alt (at best) as their value isn't that great).

Coupled with what Blizzard did with the Timeless Isle update (the 5.4 patch from memory) however and it becomes more significant.

The 5.4 patch made it pretty easy to create "more powerful" level 90s - especially alts. New 90s might have c. 350 gear say. With Timeless Isle basic / alts can get a lot of 496 items. And there was a path for people to push into the upper 540s as well. And a level 90 in 496 gear is much more powerful than one in 350 gear; and a 540 character significantly more powerful again (especially for established characters with the 600 cloak). OK somewhat geeky for people who haven't played for a while but suffice to say a new level 90 will be far below a geared 90.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by gervaise1

A basic level 90 is pretty weak in many respects. For existing players the value of another 90 would probably be as a crafting alt (at best) as their value isn't that great).

Coupled with what Blizzard did with the Timeless Isle update (the 5.4 patch from memory) however and it becomes more significant.

The 5.4 patch made it pretty easy to create "more powerful" level 90s - especially alts. New 90s might have c. 350 gear say. With Timeless Isle basic / alts can get a lot of 496 items. And there was a path for people to push into the upper 540s as well. And a level 90 in 496 gear is much more powerful than one in 350 gear; and a 540 character significantly more powerful again (especially for established characters with the 600 cloak). OK somewhat geeky for people who haven't played for a while but suffice to say a new level 90 will be far below a geared 90.

I think you are forgetting that at lvl 90 you will go to Draenor to get green items which render the timeless isle items completely useless.

....unless someone has information that indicates this expansion will somehow be different.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

I must say that I am unhappy about the lack of new and original development in the coming expansion:

- no new class

- no new race

- the new continent is an iteration of one seen before

- the new 'mythic' difficulty level means we'll be fighting the same old dungeons but just harder

- the new polygons do not, to my mind, give a 'new look'. they give only new details to an old look. also, nowhere does it say that there are new levels of 'look customisation'

I will buy this expansion, as I always do, but it may well be very disappointing

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Zorgo

I think you are forgetting that at lvl 90 you will go to Draenor to get green items which render the timeless isle items completely useless.

....unless someone has information that indicates this expansion will somehow be different.

Haven't seen how powerful the new green gear will be but yes.

What I was trying to point out was that the auto-90 is really just a baby step on a path that Blizzard have already taken with Timeless Isle. (That negated most of existing MoP content pushing people into the new raids.) 

A mistake imo as well.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Haven't seen how powerful the new green gear will be but yes.

What I was trying to point out was that the auto-90 is really just a baby step on a path that Blizzard have already taken with Timeless Isle. (That negated most of existing MoP content pushing people into the new raids.) 

A mistake imo as well.

Encouraging people to come back instead of discouraging them because of a HUGE gear grind before they can compete again is not a mistake. It's a smart move, beneficial for both the developer and the players.

This is exactly why they are doing it. I applaud them for it. At least they recognize the issue and are trying to do something about it. I compare this to what ArenaNet is doing with their biweekly content updates. They realized what they needed to do to get their player base back to playing and did something about it. They aren't like other developers that either blame the fan base or just keep trying the same things. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487
    I don't see how being able to level ONE character to 90 is going to hurt the game.  For those of us (like me) that are seriously thinking of switching main characters for the xpac, this is an incredible boon and one that will get me to buy the expansion.  Also the whole "housing" thing has been something many players have been asking of Blizz for years.   Most MMOs have implemented housing and are even launching with housing (IE: Wildstar), so the game will attract players that love the housing "mini-game" back.  All and all I think the changes will help retain and lure in new players.  As always Blizz knows how to keep their cash cow relevant.

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

The main features I was interested in were new classes/races.

Not very encouraged by the direction they seem to be taking so far.