Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I get a PS4?

I currently have a monster i5-3570K, 16GB RAM, GTX 690 gaming PC and I do a lot of gaming on it. That being said, I have always been a Playstation gamer as well, since the PS1 launched back in 95'. I know that most of the triple-A games coming out for PS4 I will be able to just get for my PC, so why spend hundreds of dollars right now on a system that is equal or less than the performance I will attain on my PC. The exclusives are nice, Killzone, etc, but does it make sense to grab the system now? Or should I wait to get it on sale sometime after the holidays maybe? I will miss sports (MLB: The Show) and exclusives (FFXV)!

What do you guys think?

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

If you got the cash and it makes ya happy, then why not?  I personally plan to get one to play with a lot of my mates who either don't have a gaming pc or don't plan to upgrade theirs.  I also like to play the sports games side by side (I know real human contact *gasp*) so for me it fits. I can afford it, and I like electronic toys. 

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• Thebrave246Thebrave246 Member Posts: 174

Well to respond to you guys, I like real human contact, I work a decent amount these days and don't have friends over like I used to, I normally game on my PC, but my brother will be coming home soon, so I will be able to play with him atleast. I can afford it right now but I do have student loans, which have been on the back burner for some time. I have been looking for a full-time job and continue to. I still work 30 hours+ a week now anyway. I would love to play sports games and exclusives like FFXV and Sports titles like Madden and The Show as well. I am still not convinced yet. I also could wait, I don't need it right now.

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

Reply to OP Thebrave246,

I'll give you the best advice and why.

PC gaming is a very expensive hobby depending on what type of gamer you are. I have always been a PC gamer and when I used to have a good job I was dropping roughly around $700+ every 1 to 2 years on just a new graphics card. That is not including upgrading other hardware components like RAM, power supply hell just rebuilding from the ground up at some times. PC gamers know this unless you're just a casual gamer not playing the graphic intense games demanding alot of horsepower to run smooth and efficient. Did I mention upgrading the OS??? So if you're running Window's which most hardcore gamers do you're upgrading the OS as well. So yeah it can become a very expensive hobby. The good news is that most mmorpg's are not graphic intensive say compared to games like 'Elder Scrolls', 'Crysis 2', 'Battlefield 3 and now 4' etc. etc. there are alot of examples but not going to list all of them I think you get the point.

With that said, console gaming with the soon-to-be-released PS4 and Xbox One will catch up to PC gaming at a more affordable price, (but will not be equal to the top PC gaming rigs). Let's also not forget the current economic depression we are in where most people are not spending like they used to due to loss of employment or just cutbacks or whatever, that is a fact.

My best advice to you unless you just have to have one of the games at launch time for either system is to wait until next year. When these two systems launch you can bet your a$$ there will be consumer complaints on certain features, glitches and or bugs. I say wait till Microsoft and SONY iron out all the problems first. Plus the real cool games will be releasing next year anyways like 'Destiny' for one.

You can forget about price drops next year, not gonna happen. Look how long it took for PS3 and Xbox 360 to start having any kind of price reduction or special sales event, yeah years. Also if you're a PC gamer you will pay more for just a new graphics card than on a new console system unless you buy the cheaper ATI cards, all depends on what kind of gamer you are. You're still going to drop $100+ even on a semi decent ATI card alone where you can invest that into a new PS4 or Xbox One.

It's all relative and in the end it's up to the consumer where to put their money. Console gaming is alot more affordable than PC gaming that is not even debatable. So it really boils down to what you want and why.

For example I need a new graphics card for my PC. However I do not have the extra cash to buy one right now. If I did I ask myself why invest the cash just for a new graphic's card instead of investing more into one of the new consoles or just a whole new PC. This is the issue I have right now for myself.

• MackeskimoMackeskimo Member Posts: 50
    @ OP:  Yes.... PM me for PSN ID and I'll play all those cool multiplayer games w/ you no problem. I'm in the same boat. Finished College and started a new job, so I have the money but not the time for social events. Trying to max my PSN friend list and chat, play with cool new people.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Get steam is when it get out instead !
    Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

Reply to OP Thebrave246,

I'll give you the best advice and why.

PC gaming is a very expensive hobby depending on what type of gamer you are. I have always been a PC gamer and when I used to have a good job I was dropping roughly around $700+ every 1 to 2 years on just a new graphics card. That is not including upgrading other hardware components like RAM, power supply hell just rebuilding from the ground up at some times. PC gamers know this unless you're just a casual gamer not playing the graphic intense games demanding alot of horsepower to run smooth and efficient. Did I mention upgrading the OS??? So if you're running Window's which most hardcore gamers do you're upgrading the OS as well. So yeah it can become a very expensive hobby. The good news is that most mmorpg's are not graphic intensive say compared to games like 'Elder Scrolls', 'Crysis 2', 'Battlefield 3 and now 4' etc. etc. there are alot of examples but not going to list all of them I think you get the point.

With that said, console gaming with the soon-to-be-released PS4 and Xbox One will catch up to PC gaming at a more affordable price, (but will not be equal to the top PC gaming rigs). Let's also not forget the current economic depression we are in where most people are not spending like they used to due to loss of employment or just cutbacks or whatever, that is a fact.

My best advice to you unless you just have to have one of the games at launch time for either system is to wait until next year. When these two systems launch you can bet your a$$ there will be consumer complaints on certain features, glitches and or bugs. I say wait till Microsoft and SONY iron out all the problems first. Plus the real cool games will be releasing next year anyways like 'Destiny' for one.

You can forget about price drops next year, not gonna happen. Look how long it took for PS3 and Xbox 360 to start having any kind of price reduction or special sales event, yeah years. Also if you're a PC gamer you will pay more for just a new graphics card than on a new console system unless you buy the cheaper ATI cards, all depends on what kind of gamer you are. You're still going to drop $100+ even on a semi decent ATI card alone where you can invest that into a new PS4 or Xbox One.

It's all relative and in the end it's up to the consumer where to put their money. Console gaming is alot more affordable than PC gaming that is not even debatable. So it really boils down to what you want and why.

For example I need a new graphics card for my PC. However I do not have the extra cash to buy one right now. If I did I ask myself why invest the cash just for a new graphic's card instead of investing more into one of the new consoles or just a whole new PC. This is the issue I have right now for myself.

I agree with you on the launch issues will definitely come as usual and this should not be some new thing everyone has to get used to. I have a pretty top of the line gaming PC and everything now as well as nice peripherals to back it up. I understand consoles are easier and cost less then a good gaming PC, but since I already own a pretty darn good gaming PC it makes no sense to get a console atm. I am not dying to play killzone or really any of the PS4 launch titles.

There really isn't at launch, except for Madden 25 or Killzone, but never really been a huge Killzone fan and football games get old, but yes it'd be cool to try it out with the new engine and what not.
  • DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

@ Thebrave246,

That's my other issue as well there are no launch day games that interest me enough into wanting either system at the moment. My computer that I have now cannot run the new graphic intensive games.

It's a waiting game for me for 1. waiting to see how both systems pan out, 2. Having the money to make a purchase on anything atm like new components for my computer or new console so I'm stuck no matter what.

Wish you the best of luck on whatever decision you make. If I were you stick to your gaming rig. There's a much larger selection of PC games to play or wait for than what will be on consoles ever.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Never really been a big console fan....They have some cool games but for the most part everything is pretty much a ripoff....Paying 500 bucks for a system then 40-60 bucks per game is just ridiculous.....One of the great things about PC gaming is most of the games are very cheap unless you have to have them on launch......I never even bought a PS3 because I didnt think I'd get my moneys worth either.
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

With your PC i wouldn't spend 400 to 500 euros on a PS4 plus 70 euros on games.

Just seems to be a bit of a waste.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Never really been a big console fan....They have some cool games but for the most part everything is pretty much a ripoff....Paying 500 bucks for a system then 40-60 bucks per game is just ridiculous.....One of the great things about PC gaming is most of the games are very cheap unless you have to have them on launch......I never even bought a PS3 because I didnt think I'd get my moneys worth either.

40 to 60 dollars per game is cheap compared to what Europeans and Australians pay.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    It is about the games. If you buy a console then what games will you be buying for it. Honestly if you can play the same games on your pc then I see no reason to buy a PS4. You better off saving your money and waiting to see how Valve's Steam Machines take form this year.
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Don't get an xb1 your YouTube will be removed and you ll be banned by ms !
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I think the only reason to buy PS4 would be to play games.

So, is there some good game you can't play, and need PS4 for? Is it good enough to pay 100$ for? I think, if you have no trouble finding PS4 exclusive games you'd pay 100$ to play, then it's worth the investment to buy PS4 and play those awesome exclusive games.

But if you're having trouble naming PS4 games that are worth at least 100$ for you, then the console won't ever be worth its price as you already have a good PC.