Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor First Impressions

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Garrett Fuller is on hand at BlizzCon this year, and brings back this first hand report from the show's recent panel explaining the lore and background of Warlords of Draenor.

Overall, Warlords of Draenor brings Warcraft right back to where fans want it, or at least, where this fan wants it. In a harsh brutal world with epic heroes fighting for survival, Draenor will bring a lot of players back. There's a lot more to explore in the expansion, including new skills, new character models, a new PVP zone and tons more. The stage is set and fans will be brought to the origins of the IP itself. If Mists of Pandaria was not your style, this new expansion will be everything you want in World of Warcraft. We got our hands on with the game too, and will bring that to you later on.

Read the rest of Garrett's WoW: Warlords of Draenor First Impressions.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• BruceybabyBruceybaby Member Posts: 254
    Sooo... no new races and no new classes?
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Yea, a bit dissapointed in there being no new race or class. Honestly would have rather seen a new heroic class than the lvl 90 boost. Still looks like some solid additions to the game.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Housing is nice but no new races is kinda shitty. 
  • newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Originally posted by Bruceybaby

Yeah, I'm not pleased about that either.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    the new character models look great especially the undead ones and the housing system sounds really good. I like how they are getting rid of expertise and hit finally and adding in fun stats like cleave and speed. I think overall compared to the last two expansions this will be a very good one but not as good as lich king and the original burning crusade. I hope they actually update some of the character animations also with the new models but they have never said anything about that.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Overall, Warlords of Draenor brings Warcraft right back to where fans want it, or at least, wherethis fan wants it. In a harsh brutal world with epic heroes fighting for survival, Draenor will bring a lot of players back. There's a lot more to explore in the expansion, including new skills, new character models, a new PVP zone and tons more. The stage is set and fans will be brought to the origins of the IP itself. If Mists of Pandaria was not your style, this new expansion will be everything you want in World of Warcraft. We got our hands on with the game too, and will bring that to you later on.

Let me go about disagreeing. Dont' get me wrong, as an old Warcraft 3 player its nice to see stuff referenced about its roots, but that is NOT what has drove most people away, its the over dumbing down of things and trivializing of content. Giving throw backs to where the series began does NOT make it great and something that will drive players back. People want VANILLA WOW or TBC WOW, not Warcraft RTS references and nudging. The mechanics are what drove people away more then the settings have (granted panda land wasn't exactly big on most peoples books, I personally don't mind it fully minus the fact that was the sole focus last expansion). 

So no, this expansion will not be EVERYTHING I WANT, nor do I think it will be everything anyone else really wanted who left the game in the first place.  If anything, what is known for the expansion is actually quite lack luster and not very impressive of an addition that can really be called 'attractive'.  Not saying its all bad (garisons look like they MIGHT be cool though not housing many are wanting) and we don't know all the details, but as of now theres extremely little promise revealed about the expansion to drive most people back to wanting to play.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552
    Am I the only one who doesn't want new classes? I mean I'm more PvP oriented so take this with a grain of salt but they can't balance PvP as it is and adding new "hero" classes really screws up everything for the rest of us who don't want to play the new shiny class. I am overall happy with the direction  they took with this exp. MoP was really really lack luster in my opinion and everything has been going downhill since WOTLK. Hopefully this adds some life back into WoW for me.
  • NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

If Blizz offered a vanilla WoW server or Burning Crusade server I would resubscribe in a heart beat.

I was even considering giving it a go once this new expansion came out... but after reading about how they're making the game easier and dumbing it down even more! Hell no!

Blizzard will never have me back as a paying customer at this rate.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by NeVeRLiFt

If Blizz offered a vanilla WoW server or Burning Crusade server I would resubscribe in a heart beat.

I was even considering giving it a go once this new expansion came out... but after reading about how they're making the game easier and dumbing it down even more! Hell no!

Blizzard will never have me back as a paying customer at this rate.

I feel the same way.

I'd bet 95% of the WoW players now wouldnt even know why hunters have the spell "Beast Lore", and why it was pretty damned important even pre-BC, especially pre-BC.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Nothing, NOTHING new. This is just mind boggling boring. So disappointing.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Its obvious they dont really want to invest much.

They probably know they dont stand to get much returning customers anymore. No mater what they do.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Is this seriously all Blizzard can come up with?? No surprise they losing sub by the millions...this addon will surely continue the downwards trend.

"Remaking the world" is nothing but putting a nice wrapping around what actually is re-hashing some 6+ yrs old zones. Except for two zones it looks just the very same as before. New character models still look bad and outdated and they are trying to baffle the viewer by giving the before/after characters way different armor.

What i've seen so far rather has DLC quality and quantity, nothing worthy of an expansion pack.

Only good thing about this is that the game will keep on dying with it.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Game is still not as good...still have the screwed up skill trees and talents.   Haven't played since they borked it up prior to MOP.  I barely could stand the changes they made before Cataclysm - the changes to characters, classes, skills, talents and other things killed it for me.   Stopped playing and haven't touched it since and this new expansion will not bring me back as MOP did not bring me back.  
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Awesome, can't wait to randomly mash keys to progress like in MoP. But why are we going backwards in time and buying level 90s?

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    I really like the idea behind this expansion. Draenor/Outland was always my favorite part of WoW when I used to play it. The zones in the previews look amazing, like they have a lot of character and atmosphere. I'm also very interested in the persistent world pvp zone  with the ongoing battle they talked about. Haven't played since wrath but I'm definitely considering checking it out once its released. 
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I couldn't even tell the areas were remade from that video. If that was supposed to be impressive they have some very hard times ahead of them.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    First expansion since wotlk I've had a positive first impression of.  As much as I hate time travel it feels like WoW (theme wise anyway) is getting back to it's roots.  This definantly feels like a step in the right direction to me.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    I couldn't even tell the areas were remade from that video. If that was supposed to be impressive they have some very hard times ahead of them.

I could definitely tell. I think you're just jumping on the hate bandwagon because I don't even like WoW anymore but was impressed how much better the graphics looked in these videos compared to older WoW zones.

Smile

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Well, thats....underwhelming.

But as long as millions of people are drawing their purses to this, Blizzard will not have to come with anything new. 

Hodor!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

I could definitely tell. I think you're just jumping on the hate bandwagon because I don't even like WoW anymore but was impressed how much better the graphics looked in these videos compared to older WoW zones.

Looked like all they did was move some trees around. Idk, I've been gone awhile.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Let me go about disagreeing. Dont' get me wrong, as an old Warcraft 3 player its nice to see stuff referenced about its roots, but that is NOT what has drove most people away, its the over dumbing down of things and trivializing of content. Giving throw backs to where the series began does NOT make it great and something that will drive players back. People want VANILLA WOW or TBC WOW, not Warcraft RTS references and nudging. The mechanics are what drove people away more then the settings have (granted panda land wasn't exactly big on most peoples books, I personally don't mind it fully minus the fact that was the sole focus last expansion). 

So no, this expansion will not be EVERYTHING I WANT, nor do I think it will be everything anyone else really wanted who left the game in the first place.  If anything, what is known for the expansion is actually quite lack luster and not very impressive of an addition that can really be called 'attractive'.  Not saying its all bad (garisons look like they MIGHT be cool though not housing many are wanting) and we don't know all the details, but as of now theres extremely little promise revealed about the expansion to drive most people back to wanting to play.

To be honest. Those changes drove away players like you and me for sure.

But they got a lot of casual new gamers through this dumbing down. So Blizzard did everything right in financial terms. Its us players that have to look for another game.

Hodor!

• GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by reeereee
    First expansion since wotlk I've had a positive first impression of.  As much as I hate time travel it feels like WoW (theme wise anyway) is getting back to it's roots.  This definantly feels like a step in the right direction to me.

Same here.  Puts in in perspective for me too.  In the time since wotlk came out the other mmo I played continuously for longer than a year, war, has come and gone.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Bruceybaby

didn't you get Pandas lately? 

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    I like more than MoP. Was pesimistic about rumors, but after presentation was satisfied overall. FU Blizzard for taking my  money.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I like that the focus is not on one big baddies and is instead focused around 6 or 7, ofc. there is going to be a big bad guy pulling the strings in the background but I can see a natural progression through the content taking down each of the clans who joined the iron horde.

I am also not sure but they said that Alliance and horde need to capture their capital cities in the new content so is that a server wide event? like the old AQ gate opening or Isle of kalthalos (or what ever it was called in BC).

Also did they say flying mounts who be enabled in this content? I hope not, worst thing to happen to WoW IMHO.