Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population Declining?

SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
I noticed lately that folks aren't playin it as much as they did last year. Many of my friends have just stopped. I have noticed that a lot of players really don't know much about how to play it. So I thought about the population is now declining. I started to loko for some measurement of this and not able to locate where I might find out what the population is now. They boast 65 million but I am sure most of those come from Russia and SEA Anyone have any clues or answers??

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

25k people on peak...its up a little from the 6k that was there during closed beta.   Unless your meaning declining in skill....hard to tell since im one of the "bads"..

*plus the NA server was split to east and west..so im sure the Pop is ok.  Even if the NA server was doing bad...NA server is the redheaded stepchild of WoT...Population of EU and RU server far out pops NA  X4 for EU and X10 for RU...last I looked.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Smintar
    I noticed lately that folks aren't playin it as much as they did last year. Many of my friends have just stopped. I have noticed that a lot of players really don't know much about how to play it. So I thought about the population is now declining. I started to loko for some measurement of this and not able to locate where I might find out what the population is now. They boast 65 million but I am sure most of those come from Russia and SEA Anyone have any clues or answers??

Game bleeds it's playerbase with an estimated 19-25% retention rate, which is due to IMO poor marketing. 

http://wot-news.com/stat/server/us/norm/en

• LordLeMoyneLordLeMoyne Member Posts: 26
    This wouldn't surprise me.  I cringe every time I want to play and log on, just to see the same rude immature community and 90% of people who don't even care how  well they play, ruining my stats.  I like the game, but the community is an absolute turn-off.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I played on and off for a couple weeks last year.  For me it's why play WoT when I can play Planetside2?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335
    Population isn't really declining in numbers but in player skill it is way down from what it was 2 months ago.  Wargaming screwed the game up though to me personally with patch 8.6 (worst patch ever) with this decades version of SWG NGE.  Totally screwed the balance up, now they are making it so people can lose in clan wars without actually losing a battle.  A lot of the older beta players are starting to see the light and moving on, I already have.  Wargaming wanted a dumbed down game to try to put everyone on even playing field, a lot of the veterans are saying no.
  • cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

NA player base is stagnant in overall numbers. Peak hours you may see 30-40K online across both NA servers (40K once in a blue moon - closer to 35K on average). Can't speak to population in EU, RU, or SEA.

This is probably not the correct question though. The game has been going downhill for some time. WG nerfs 1 tank here, provides an OP USSR tank there, nerfs SPGs to the ground, adds an accuracy buff that's over the top in 1 release then removes it little by little via stealth changes over the next several releases... its taking a toll on the long term players who have seen the tanks in their garage impacted by nerfs, hitbox changes, accuracy changes, removal of some guns and replacement with worse guns, removal or change to some turrets etc.

Ever since the huge nerf to SPGs and re-balancing of matchmaker (lol - yeah, right) the matches have been a real mess. Matchmaker is essentially broken. WG has said they will address the issues for the last several releases (ever since 8.5) but have done nothing, and now Serb (one of the lead developers) says MM is just fine...

So - the established players have abandoned pub play for the most part, moving into Tank Company and Clan War battles. Which leaves the quality of play in pub matches a complete joke. You have clueless players, kids who want to shoot each other even when on the same team, players who suicide into lakes and rivers, etc. plus a lot of players will simply AFK (start a match, then alt-tab and do something else while the match plays out, leeching exp in the process) and there are a lot of BOTs in game as well.

If you could back out the AFK and BOT players the population would be quite a bit less is my guess.

Pub matches are seldom close or fun now - one team or the other ends up with an advantage so a lot of matches end 15-3, 14-6 etc. And for those of us foolish enough to stay and try to play in pubs - our win/loss record and our other stats get murdered by all the garbage play in pubs.

So - I, and many others, are waiting for War Thunder Ground to be added to their flight sim and I am guessing there will be a mass exodus from WOT. To combat this, WOT is offering "unified premium account" across WOT, WoWP, and the future warship game - one premium membership covers all three. Unfortunately, WoWP is pure trash compared to War Thunder, warships is not out (and no one knows when it will release) and in any case War Thunder is also adding a warship component to their offering...

So in summary - the player base might not be in decline but is in transition from decent long-term players to new, clueless more casual players that will just as happily team kill each other as attack the enemy.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Game bleeds it's playerbase with an estimated 19-25% retention rate, which is due to IMO poor marketing. 

What are the retention rates you are comparing that to?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Probably number of players over 100 battles. I haven't played in at least a year but player stats are all available on many wot stat sites and you can see how many of their " 60 million accounts" actually make it past the noob stage. 25% sounds high actually.

Going just from memory it was like 80% of accounts only have tier 1 tanks with under 100 battles. I'm sure it's only gotten worst with time. It's still hugely popular and the servers are active....they just have a low retention of new players.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Geez...

No sooner does WoT get a gaming award and the "this game is dying" crowd comes to life.

I don't even care about WoT and I find you annoying.

Originally posted by grimgryphon

Geez...

No sooner does WoT get a gaming award and the "this game is dying" crowd comes to life.

try reading the thread then.

• SkaldirSkaldir Member UncommonPosts: 48

Design wise I really like the game, and I keep coming back to it, but the community is really bad. Like mentioned before, frequent teamkilling, cussing, ramming friendly tanks, annoying behavior etc. Then not to mention player skill, something Wargaming refuses to acknowledge. They have explicitly said they won't add skill into the matchmaking system.
    Not everyone is as driven in competitive play as others, but some people simply don't want to win games it seems. Like ignoring base attacks, mindlessly suiciding into the enemy team, all going the same route exposing the other flank and so on.

Originally posted by DamonVile

Geez...

I did. Same old shit, different game.

Geez...

Then you need thicker glasses because he's asking vets if they've stopped playing and wondering if there's any stats ppl know of to see if it's just him or are the people playing really just new players. Tanks is a game where the quality of the other players has a huge impact on your level of fun. All new players driving backwards down the field = not fun.

Nothing about the typical game dieing crap was ever said. Sad that someone would have to explain that to you even after you say you read it.

Geez...

Then you need thicker glasses because he's asking vets if they've stopped playing and wondering if there's any stats ppl know of to see if it's just him or are the people playing really just new players. Tanks is a game where the quality of the other players has a huge impact on your level of fun. All new players driving backwards down the field = not fun.

Nothing about the typical game dieing crap was ever said. Sad that someone would have to explain that to you even after you say you read it.

Okee dokee.

Just keep telling yourself that, scooter.

lol

Originally posted by Loktofeit

It's own playerbase of Unofficial accounts made and accounts played for the last 15 or so months.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Geez...

heh, plus another game company is coming out with a tank addition to their WWII  flying game. I guess some people think that people would  be stupid enough not to try a free game for themselves on some troll posts

I miss DAoC

• ItsabouteconomicsItsabouteconomics Member Posts: 16

Im hearing the exact opposite.  War Thunder is starting to bleed players becasue of recent events towards their Beta Testers.

And from some videos on you tube ,  they have a few bugs that are hilarious in regards to ground forces. 

WOT is still being played,  they have a robust EU and RU playerbase.  Im happy with my NA population.  There are enough bad players for my rating to keep climbing, and enough S.Unicums for me to learn from. 

Originally posted by Itsabouteconomics

Im hearing the exact opposite.  War Thunder is starting to bleed players becasue of recent events towards their Beta Testers.

And from some videos on you tube ,  they have a few bugs that are hilarious in regards to ground forces. 

WOT is still being played,  they have a robust EU and RU playerbase.  Im happy with my NA population.  There are enough bad players for my rating to keep climbing, and enough S.Unicums for me to learn from. 

Yes, videos from players breaking the NDA on CBT are trustworthy.

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

why exactly wouldn't they be trustworthy? is it cause they are " whistle blowing" the developers bullshit?

if that's the case that Snowden fella isn't trustworthy either in regards to the NSA. . . 

/eyeroll

Originally posted by sayuu

why exactly wouldn't they be trustworthy? is it cause they are " whistle blowing" the developers bullshit?

if that's the case that Snowden fella isn't trustworthy either in regards to the NSA. . . 

/eyeroll

What is there to whistle blow?  The armor side of the game is an exact duplicate of the plane side with pretty standard vehicle progression, vehicle trees and economy.

/eyeroll

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well EU server seems to have a growing population.

Check out the stats on here.

http://wot-news.com/stat/server_old/eu/norm/en

• forktongueforktongue Member UncommonPosts: 23

Dude you haven`t heard due to the MM of this game thousands of players are leaving for Warthunder Ground Forces

Due to this Wargaming have implemented Bots to keep servers busy and therefore the chances of a really good game are about 1 in 12 

The game has had a serious backlash from its players and Wargaming are doing nothing to keep there players happy 

(http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/358662-issues-with-matchmaking/page__st__1340#topmost)

Wargaming did a self motivating story about having 1 million followers on Facebook (if you follow us we give you 150 gold ) that sort of thing... and what they dont realise is many of their players have multiple accounts.So in one way all is good 1 million followers and really only 600-700k players.

We mustn`t displace that Wargaming will have made thousands of bogus accounts to keep their mods n devs busy.

But saying when first released they had like 2-4 million players... this game at the beginning was the best thing since sliced bread but due to greed and not listening to players they are uninstalling the game in their droves.

• PepperMillPepperMill Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by forktongue

Dude you haven`t heard due to the MM of this game thousands of players are leaving for Warthunder Ground Forces

Due to this Wargaming have implemented Bots to keep servers busy and therefore the chances of a really good game are about 1 in 12 

The game has had a serious backlash from its players and Wargaming are doing nothing to keep there players happy 

Wargaming did a self motivating story about having 1 million followers on Facebook (if you follow us we give you 150 gold ) that sort of thing... and what they dont realise is many of their players have multiple accounts.So in one way all is good 1 million followers and really only 600-700k players.

We mustn`t displace that Wargaming will have made thousands of bogus accounts to keep their mods n devs busy.

But saying when first released they had like 2-4 million players... this game at the beginning was the best thing since sliced bread but due to greed and not listening to players they are uninstalling the game in their droves.

What I am getting from you.  You are unhappy with World of Tanks.  You speculate that people actually are leaving the game based on the people who say they are leaving the game.  You speculate on a lot of other aspects of the game.  You are confusing your speculations with facts.

I play World of Tanks.  The releases and patches have been buggy leading to anger and frustration.  The game itself is still good and fun to play.   I only have trouble getting into battles after 1 in the morning local time.  Even then I can shift servers from NA East to NA West.  So the player population seems adequate for playing.

The teams in random battles are random.  They are balanced based on the capabilities of the individual tanks.  Sometimes this leads to dramatic imbalance when there are more capable players on one team than the other.  Each player can still have a good game regardless of the match making.  If it wasn't random it would get stale.  

The players that are more interested in watching their stats more than they are playing the game get angry when the match is unbalanced against them.    Nothing is going to change that.  Ragers will rage.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by LordLeMoyne
    This wouldn't surprise me.  I cringe every time I want to play and log on, just to see the same rude immature community and 90% of people who don't even care how  well they play, ruining my stats.  I like the game, but the community is an absolute turn-off.

I agree 110%.. The game fosters some of the worst behavior I have run across.. I thought WoW "gear score" fiasco was bad.. That is nothing compared to the WN8 stat players in Tanks..  What I would like to see if for Wargaming.net separate the two types of players.. There are those that play the game for casual past time.. and others that treat it like an professional Esport league.. Now I would hate to segregate the 2 category of customers.. However one way to address this would be to prohibit the use of WN8 date in public random play.. The recording and use of stats should be in Team, Clan and League play only..