Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of getting this rig. Opinions?

Comments

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196

You could build something just as good or better for less money if you are willing to do it yourself. 16GB of RAM is a little overkill imo. Pretty weak GPU as well you should shoot for an  290 or at the very least a 280x. 

Lots of stuff in this build doesnt add up. Lots of RAM and a strong CPU, but a weak GPU. Doubt you need a 800w PSU either. Or liquid cooling....

I wouldn't buy it.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure someone smarter than me can help you out more.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by CowboyHat

You could build something just as good or better for less money if you are willing to do it yourself. 16GB of RAM is a little overkill imo. Pretty weak GPU as well you should shoot for an  290 or at the very least a 280x. 

Lots of stuff in this build doesnt add up. Lots of RAM and a  strong CPU, but a weak GPU. Doubt you need a 800w PSU either. Or liquid cooling....

I can add in a better gpu though.

Originally posted by Epicent

Lots of stuff in this build doesnt add up. Lots of RAM and a  strong CPU, but a weak GPU. Doubt you need a 800w PSU either. Or liquid cooling....

Well if you can then you should. A 270x is basically a 7870 so its not gonna be good for new releases. You are going to lose quite a bit of cash going through cyberpower though. It is much cheaper to build it yourself.

Well if you can then you should. A 270x is basically a 7870 so its not gonna be good for new releases. You are going to lose quite a bit of cash going through cyberpower though. It is much cheaper to build it yourself.

if i upgrade to a 280x will the cooling in this system be sufficient.

if i upgrade to a 280x will the cooling in this system be sufficient.

Yes. Its probably overkill. And so is the 800W PSU. And the 16GB of RAM. You don't seem to concerned about it though. Or the fact that your losing 300 bucks by not building it yourself. You could get an even better GPU with the money you save.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    You could forgo the gpu and the memory it comes with, and use the saving to go buy better for less at newegg. Memory is cheap these days. But to reiterate what the other person said, build it yourself and save money.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• MickleMickle Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Building your own system is super easy and a great way to learn about computers.  The hardest part is knowing what to buy. The people on this site can be a great help for that purpose.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_Black_Pearl

That's just a configurator, so it doesn't make it clear at all which hardware you're looking to buy.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

That system has WAY too many red flags.

First and foremost it doesn't tell you what specific PSU (or at least I didn't notice it) it comes with.  "800 Watt PSU" is about the same thing as saying "1 ton pickup truck", it doesn't tell the person purchasing anything useful and is usually done so to hide the fact the real information would turn you off.  It is apparently 80 plus certified which is something you want to look for but the fact that is all they tell you should raise an eyebrow.  A crappy PSU can cause an entire system to fail either quickly or slowly and lead you to believe the problem is elsewhere.  The bottom line is this should never be low priority or in question with regards to quality.

Second, I don't think this setup even knows what it's intended to do besides fool a consumer who doesn't know any better.  There is absolutely no need for an X79 MB (read: expensive) when it comes equiped with a low-mid range single GPU.  The primary,and for most people only, reason to consider an X79 MB is if they were going for a SLI or Xfire setup from the get go.  Unless I'm reading it wrong this system is not coming with two R9 270X and even if it was it would still be a stupid purchase because you could get the same performance for less by sticking with a single higher performance GPU and even save money on a cheaper MB that isn't specifically targeted at a Xfire setup.  Not to mention SLI and Xfire ALWAYS have more issues in games than single GPU's.

Third, if this is meant to be a gaming PC, and the listed specs don't really give off that vibe but the case sure does, the CPU is beyond unnecessary and again a waste of money that could be spent on better overall gaming performance elsewhere.  What SHOULD be in the system is an Intel i5 4670K.  That is the CPU you want in the current generation of CPU's for a pure gaming machine.  An i7 is for the most part a waste and unless you have aspirations of running multiple gaming clients and recording gaming feeds at the same time will not provide any better performance yet will cost you quite a bit more money.

Forth, for all the high end parts they are charging you for they don't even offer a SSD as your primary boot drive?  In today's age of custom systems that is an automatic "HELL NO".  If you've never used a system that runs it's primary drive off a SSD you won't know what I'm talking about but if you have there simply is NO excuse to not include one in a modern gaming system, especially when there are so many other ways to cut back on cost and not impact gaming performance in the slightest.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the point.  If you are really interested in a new gaming system please just list your preferred/max budget and what that budget needs to include, i.e. just the computer itself or will that price need to have peripherals such as a monitor/mouse/keyboard/speakers/UPS/surge protector/etc added in.  Also be sure to list any preferences you might have for the system and why.

There are a number of very well informed and helpful people who frequent this forum.  They help people just like you on the regular.  The best advice I can give, especially considering the time of year, (near Black Friday/Cyber Monday) is to not be in a rush to purchase until you received solid advice that fits your needs.

Originally posted by miguksaram

That system has WAY too many red flags.

First and foremost it doesn't tell you what specific PSU (or at least I didn't notice it) it comes with.  "800 Watt PSU" is about the same thing as saying "1 ton pickup truck", it doesn't tell the person purchasing anything useful and is usually done so to hide the fact the real information would turn you off.  It is apparently 80 plus certified which is something you want to look for but the fact that is all they tell you should raise an eyebrow.  A crappy PSU can cause an entire system to fail either quickly or slowly and lead you to believe the problem is elsewhere.  The bottom line is this should never be low priority or in question with regards to quality.

Second, I don't think this setup even knows what it's intended to do besides fool a consumer who doesn't know any better.  There is absolutely no need for an X79 MB (read: expensive) when it comes equiped with a low-mid range single GPU.  The primary,and for most people only, reason to consider an X79 MB is if they were going for a SLI or Xfire setup from the get go.  Unless I'm reading it wrong this system is not coming with two R9 270X and even if it was it would still be a stupid purchase because you could get the same performance for less by sticking with a single higher performance GPU and even save money on a cheaper MB that isn't specifically targeted at a Xfire setup.  Not to mention SLI and Xfire ALWAYS have more issues in games than single GPU's.

Third, if this is meant to be a gaming PC, and the listed specs don't really give off that vibe but the case sure does, the CPU is beyond unnecessary and again a waste of money that could be spent on better overall gaming performance elsewhere.  What SHOULD be in the system is an Intel i5 4670K.  That is the CPU you want in the current generation of CPU's for a pure gaming machine.  An i7 is for the most part a waste and unless you have aspirations of running multiple gaming clients and recording gaming feeds at the same time will not provide any better performance yet will cost you quite a bit more money.

Forth, for all the high end parts they are charging you for they don't even offer a SSD as your primary boot drive?  In today's age of custom systems that is an automatic "HELL NO".  If you've never used a system that runs it's primary drive off a SSD you won't know what I'm talking about but if you have there simply is NO excuse to not include one in a modern gaming system, especially when there are so many other ways to cut back on cost and not impact gaming performance in the slightest.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the point.  If you are really interested in a new gaming system please just list your preferred/max budget and what that budget needs to include, i.e. just the computer itself or will that price need to have peripherals such as a monitor/mouse/keyboard/speakers/UPS/surge protector/etc added in.  Also be sure to list any preferences you might have for the system and why.

There are a number of very well informed and helpful people who frequent this forum.  They help people just like you on the regular.  The best advice I can give, especially considering the time of year, (near Black Friday/Cyber Monday) is to not be in a rush to purchase until you received solid advice that fits your needs.

Max budget for the PC would  be around 1600 dollars.  Not interested i n SSD.  Load times dont bother me. I own over 100 steam games and would like them all on my harddrive. Space matters more to me. Where I would need the most help would be choosing a motherboard, processor, graphics card and maybe power supply. Im not sure why an 800 watt wouldnt be sufficient. if you can find me a better build  thats cool with me.  Also my monitor is ancient and would like to upgrade that. The monitor is on a seperate budget and I would spend no more than 500 on one. Also I should add I want this thing to be able to run with a frame  rate  of 60 fps with Vsync enabled for the Oculus Rift. (The Oculus Rift is a big factor in me building this thing.)

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    An SSD is the best thing I ever did for my PC.  Get one at least for your OS and basic programs you always use.  Then get another HDD for your 100+ games.  The lack of waiting time for your PC to start up, basic programs to open, is sooo wonderful.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Check out http://www.avadirect.com/ if you want a prebuilt. They have a ton of options for the hardware at least.

It is cheaper to build, but you already know that I assume =)

Get an SSD regardless. On a budget that big no reason not too. If you have 100 games you want installed just keep your most played games and OS on the SSD. The rest in your bulk storage. Steam lets you install wherever you want for each game.