Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Event Blog] General: Blizzcon 2013 Opening Ceremonies Live Blog

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzcon 2013 kicks off today after a year's hiatus and is promising to be a huge event for fans of World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Hearthstone, Blizzard All-Stars and Diablo 3. Keep your eyes on this spot for the news, updated regularly, as it happens.

Be sure to keep refreshing the Blizzcon 2013 - Opening Ceremonies Live Blog page as the day goes on for all the latest news for WoW, SC3, D3, Hearthstone and Blizzard All-Stars!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    But... what is it?

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Seems like a pretty weak expansion, IMO.  I didn't see anything there that seemed the least bit interesting.  I guess we'll have to see if anything good was lost in that yawn-inspiring cinematic.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• OrrinnOrrinn Member UncommonPosts: 15
    It's too early for me to make any kind of judgement on the expansion, as a whole, but there's one thing in that list of features I'm not a fan of - Boost to 90 and play instantly... Cuz lvling out of a zone before I'm even close to finished with the quests isn't fast enough.

I'm most interested in hearing about garrisons, though.

Game History (the ones that count): Everquest, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Planetside 2

• OrrinnOrrinn Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I'm most interested in hearing about the garrison feature, though.

Game History (the ones that count): Everquest, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Planetside 2

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Once you start involving time travel plot twists... you know your end is nigh.
  • kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

Garrison looks like housing to me :)

Q: How does the Garrison work? What kinds of followers and upgrades are available?

To establish a foothold on Draenor and bolster your faction’s defenses against the formidable Iron Horde, each player will need to build and manage their own Garrison, a customizable fortress that serves as your personal base of operations throughout the course of the expansion. As you complete quests and win allies to your cause, your Garrison will expand and you’ll be able to choose which upgrades you’d like to construct from a variety of options. You’ll also meet and recruit NPC allies and followers who will join you at the Garrison, each providing different benefits.

Source  http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/11514711

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

There come a point in every IP's lifetime where there's a justified temptation to reboot, to make use of all the lore and characters that worked in the past and just modernize/iterate upon it rather than attempting to churn out an endless stream of new lore/characters to the same standard.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Orrinn
    It's too early for me to make any kind of judgement on the expansion, as a whole, but there's one thing in that list of features I'm not a fan of - Boost to 90 and play instantly... Cuz lvling out of a zone before I'm even close to finished with the quests isn't fast enough.

One, you don't have to use it. Two, it's a one time deal for one character. It makes perfect sense, a lot of players come back for a new expansion and they want to offer a way for new and returning players to jump right into the new expansion with one character.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by kirak2009

Garrison looks like housing to me :)

Q: How does the Garrison work? What kinds of followers and upgrades are available?

To establish a foothold on Draenor and bolster your faction’s defenses against the formidable Iron Horde, each player will need to build and manage their own Garrison, a customizable fortress that serves as your personal base of operations throughout the course of the expansion. As you complete quests and win allies to your cause, your Garrison will expand and you’ll be able to choose which upgrades you’d like to construct from a variety of options. You’ll also meet and recruit NPC allies and followers who will join you at the Garrison, each providing different benefits.

Source  http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/11514711

Doesn't really sound much like housing to me.  It sounds more like farming 2.0.

It sounds like an predefined instance with zero customizability, that you simply get to choose which things you want to phase in first. " throughout the course of the expansion" also sounds like it is only for one expansion.  If it something you only use for one expansion, not sure why you would want to spend a bunch of time on it.  I really hope I'm wrong, because if that is what the Garrison is it sounds boring as hell.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by maplestone

There come a point in every IP's lifetime where there's a justified temptation to reboot, to make use of all the lore and characters that worked in the past and just modernize/iterate upon it rather than attempting to churn out an endless stream of new lore/characters to the same standard.

thought thats what Blizzard did w Cata - at least for the old world

i thnk alternate history is cheesy comicbook stuff but hey its blizzards game

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by Orrinn

One, you don't have to use it. Two, it's a one time deal for one character. It makes perfect sense, a lot of players come back for a new expansion and they want to offer a way for new and returning players to jump right into the new expansion with one character.

Which means you end up with a lot of people, with no clue about how to play their class...Wonderful, just wonderful...<face palm>  But pretty much what I've come to expect from Ghostcrawler and his fan club.  It remains to be seen how this new expansion will actually play.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."