Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Your New Console

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In today's Tingle's Touchy Subjects, we take a look at the brewing console wars. It's a battle royal and one we'd like to hear more of your thoughts on in the comments. Read on!

So it's that time again. Once every few years PC users the world over get to sit back in their smugly reclining chairs, settle in with a hot cup of java, and smile with all important know-how. Console players are currently engaged in a deadly standoff. An Xbox One would-be swinging a virtual chair leg. A PlayStation 4 debutant dual wielding metaphysical berettas.  No one knows what is going to happen, but be sure: before dawn there will be blood or at least fingers jammed on the caps lock.

Read more Tingle's Touchy Subjects: Your New Console.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I'll be sticking with my PC for now.  I have never been a big console gamer.  I do have an X-Box 360 and will enjoy my games on there until Microsoft shuts it down :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

This might be the first time in my (long) life that I buy a console 

I've always ignored them, because they were MMO-poor and I could have far superior single-player game play on my tricked-out gaming PC (which admittedly cost about 5x what a console would cost, and that's with building it myself).

But there's a fresh breeze blowing. There are a few interesting MMO-ish games headed to the consoles. The consoles themselves are closer than ever to PC's hardware-wise. I expect the MMO-for-console market to grow substantially. I believe it is quite logical to expect the console to become the leading MMO platform in the future. It's the natural next step in expanding the player base for MMO's.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Likewise as Al. Since I switched to XT from Commodore in the early 90's I'm a PC-only dude (with a slight detour into PSP, damn you Rockstar to sell your souls with your handheld-only VCS :) )

So, I think my "new console" will be the upgrade to the new gtx780 - next year of course, when the prices will be normalised ;)

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

I'll stick with my PC i won't give up leading edge graphics and open platform and freedom for a close controlled limited machine, have high end PC and spent money on graphics card soon that put me again lightyears ahead of consoles.

Im just not the type sitting in the livingroom with gamepad playing consolegame.

Not to mention that all seeing eye in that box, will i ever aloud a camera seeing into my house NEVER.

Good luck to you all with your console and hope you enjoy it having fun, i will with my PC:)

Bit strange OP you choose only a xbox picture as if you wanne say buy this and not competiotn hmm ?

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Ive always been a little console fanboy, well since the Sega Master-system(such a nazi name btw). During the regular Xbox's life I started to become unsatiable in that no matter how many games I bought, it was never enough. Then I realized I was looking for quality where only quantity existed. I eventually got my first gaming pc in 2011 and have regretted not buying one sooner. I honestly don't see myself ever buying a console again, exclusives be damned
  • EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Insatiable ^ lol
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Sticking with PC too but will re-evaluate things in 6 months to a year when both machines have an actual game library built up,who's REAL exclusives I like better and how each consoles cloud services have actually turned out.Maybe even wait till the first price drop.

I see no compelling reason to buy either at launch other than vanity.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I love console play, but so far I am not impressed. I was all set to do away with the pc, but these consoles so far are not living up to what I thought they would be. I expected both of them to basically be pc's. With playable pc titles such as mmorpg's, for some reason the excuse is always " well you need a keyboard and mouse" that is the lamest excuse not because you actually do, but because you can just plug a freaking kb and m into the console, it's always over looked. Secondly has anyone pplayed cod ghosts? Its lame so dont bother, the real good shooter is bf4 and its best on pc until these consoles can prove they can hang with the pc.
    // The loading screens are still going to be mega bad too
    // game prices still to high
    // even eq next will not go console until quiet a while and it will be the gimped version
    // both consoles even though sony undercut ms, both are testing the waters to see how they can nickel and dime you even worse than the pc culture gets nickle and dimed.
    // I was pretty pumped at first, but the console war is far less about hardware, the real war is between xbox os, windows, sony os, steam os ..... They all have nice exclusive titles, but pc has the most so win in that column and back to hardware pc has the best so win in that column too.
    // Destiny alone will not sell these consoles to me, I love bungie, but bring your game to pc already and leave those consoles in the dust, if and only if Destiny is a very good game. If it's just a shooter with some elements stay on console and be a standout game on a limited platform, uunfortunatelyI have a feeling it is just another shooter, which means with pc I am not mmissing out.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Sticking with PC too but will re-evaluate things in 6 months to a year when both machines have an actual game library built up,who's REAL exclusives I like better and how each consoles cloud services have actually turned out.Maybe even wait till the first price drop.

I see no compelling reason to buy either at launch other than vanity.

Pretty much this. A year down the line (say, Christmas 2014) they'll have price drops and be on sale, bugs and such will be ironed out, and as Drakynn stated, game libraries will have built up. I see no reason (for me anyways) not to wait it out and see what each system does over that time frame.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I've always ignored them, because they were MMO-poor and I could have far superior single-player game play on my tricked-out gaming PC (which admittedly cost about 5x what a console would cost, and that's with building it myself).

But there's a fresh breeze blowing. There are a few interesting MMO-ish games headed to the consoles. The consoles themselves are closer than ever to PC's hardware-wise. I expect the MMO-for-console market to grow substantially. I believe it is quite logical to expect the console to become the leading MMO platform in the future. It's the natural next step in expanding the player base for MMO's.

Well they where only MMO-poor because of the blind devs and suits above them. We got a great MMORPG in 2000 called PSO and then many cancelled ones there after. Let's hope this time they have woken up and that they don't fall asleep at the wheel.

Me for one love console MMO's but for the time being , I will stick to my PC and xbox 360 , I will play destiny on the 360 and maybe world of tanks. As for PC gaming well I have put about £1500 into it all for SWTOR and the still not out PSO2. Still the english asian releases are just around the corner :).

Another thing that bothers me is that I will wan't a Wii-U when Mario Kart 8 comes out so I need to save my pennies for now. Hopefully a new F-zero but I won't hold my breath on that one ever happening.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

[mod edit]
    Holy cow! Back up the venom a notch or ten.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

I haven't touched a console since the original playstation, which i mainly used for racing games like gran turismo. I have to say the low price of PS4 is tempting, considering my current pc was 1000 euros + 200 for the monitor + some software, gaming mouse and whatnot. Most of the future releases that I care about are also coming on consoles (ESO), so I really don't feel the need to have a pc atm.

One thing that bothers me though is the higher prices of console games compared to pc. Do they have some sort of sales similar to steam? I have bought pretty much all recent AAA titles on steam for 10 euro or less, so it's really crucial to have some occasional discount, otherwise I'll be spending more than my pc costs in the first year.

• tannim78tannim78 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Will stick with my PC , have a PS3 its..ok.....but not worth it...
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by BadOrb

Well they where only MMO-poor because of the blind devs and suits above them. We got a great MMORPG in 2000 called PSO and then many cancelled ones there after. Let's hope this time they have woken up and that they don't fall asleep at the wheel.

Me for one love console MMO's but for the time being , I will stick to my PC and xbox 360 , I will play destiny on the 360 and maybe world of tanks. As for PC gaming well I have put about £1500 into it all for SWTOR and the still not out PSO2. Still the english asian releases are just around the corner :).

Another thing that bothers me is that I will wan't a Wii-U when Mario Kart 8 comes out so I need to save my pennies for now. Hopefully a new F-zero but I won't hold my breath on that one ever happening.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

consoles being MMO poor is nothing to do with devs and everything to do with the draconic rules Sony and MS had on digital content and patching and wanting money for any updates done.Now both have dropped those rules and opened up their "walled gardens" and that is why you are now seeing MMO coming out on consoles again.

Devs have always wanted to tap the console markets with MMOS,there was just to many barriers and BS to make it worth it between the first console MMOS and now.

Originally posted by Drakynn

Cheers,

BadOrb.

consoles being MMO poor is nothing to do with devs and everything to do with the draconic rules Sony and MS had on digital content and patching and wanting money for any updates done.Now both have dropped those rules and opened up their "walled gardens" and that is why you are now seeing MMO coming out on consoles again.

Devs have always wanted to tap the console markets with MMOS,there was just to many barriers and BS to make it worth it between the first console MMOS and now.

yeah I have written about that in many threads on the internet but you have jogged my memory a bit there and I have a new conclusion , for the most part. You see , it now seems , that both Sony and microsoft saw the awards and money that PSO on the Dreamcast was making Sega then when , the PS2 and then original xbox came out they must have put that in place. Might be a bit conspiracy theorist here , but stay with me. True Fantasy Live was a in house MS game , finished and never came out , The Agency by SOE was at least half done and never came out. Also the fact that PSU on the xbox 360 in the West couldn't compare to the Japanese PC version , the final year of that game was terrible reskins of old armor and weapons. Okay I will blame them both for the lack of MMO's on console for about 8 years from now on. Lazy in house dev's and suits for those two consoles , mind you did Nintendo have similar limitations ? I don't think so but I might be wrong. Huxley is the exception , finished but buggy so sold to Asia , not sure who was making that one.

On a more positive note I'm glad they have finally turned around.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

After some 30 years of consoles and PC's in my home, I will finally be breaking the console habit. I just can't purchase (again) a console that will be out of date in six months. My current PC ALREADY is the equal of either of the new consoles and I can upgrade my PC. Nope, consoles....I am done.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Staying with my PC thanks. I watched 12 minutes of Destiny gameplay on Youtube last night, just to see what all the fuss is about. It looked remarkably similar to Defiance, the other so called "MMOFPS" for consoles. What I saw was a typical multiplayer FPS game with voice comms.

All this hullabaloo about MMO's moving to consoles will do nothing for the genre except change MMO's for the worse. The level of social interaction, something I think defines MMO's, will take a nosedive without systems in place that allow broad communication. Chat channels may be old fashioned but they allow MMO communities to actually communicate. These squad based voice channels don't cut the mustard.

My fear is that a lot of the subtle social aspects will fall to the wayside if MMO's are targetted at consoles.

When you get right down to it, there's not much a console can do that the PC doesn't do better.

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Staying with my PC thanks. I watched 12 minutes of Destiny gameplay on Youtube last night, just to see what all the fuss is about. It looked remarkably similar to Defiance, the other so called "MMOFPS" for consoles. What I saw was a typical multiplayer FPS game with voice comms.

All this hullabaloo about MMO's moving to consoles will do nothing for the genre except change MMO's for the worse. The level of social interaction, something I think defines MMO's, will take a nosedive without systems in place that allow broad communication. Chat channels may be old fashioned but they allow MMO communities to actually communicate. These squad based voice channels don't cut the mustard.

My fear is that a lot of the subtle social aspects will fall to the wayside if MMO's are targetted at consoles.

When you get right down to it, there's not much a console can do that the PC doesn't do better.

They aren't moving as I have already stated , they first came about in 1999 in Japan then 2 weeks later in the US in 2000. Granted there where only 2 chat channels in the game but the mailing system was one too so 3 then. Socially the game was very social indeed it would take me at least 30 mins to say goodnight to everyone that was logged on :). In fact that game back way then was far more social than SWTOR by a very long margin.

All MMO's have keyboard access even on consoles so your argument is mute.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Mildly tempted by the PS4, just for the Japanese games connection.   Couch gaming is not supported in this house, so the main other advantage is moot.   Not a chance for the Xbone, due to Microsofts' continual disdain and abuse of its gaming community.  No money for them, if I can possibly avoid it.

However, it's getting close to computer upgrade time, and I'd reather spend the money there.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

They aren't moving as I have already stated , they first came about in 1999 in Japan then 2 weeks later in the US in 2000. Granted there where only 2 chat channels in the game but the mailing system was one too so 3 then. Socially the game was very social indeed it would take me at least 30 mins to say goodnight to everyone that was logged on :). In fact that game back way then was far more social than SWTOR by a very long margin.

All MMO's have keyboard access even on consoles so your argument is mute.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Yeah, right, most consoles out there have no keyboard with them.  Hence your attempt at an argument is moot.

Not much of a console guy, my 3 year old PC is still better than this new generation and I am intending to upgrade next year.  I will probably not spend much more than the price of a new xbox one on a far better computer.  There are not enough exclusives to matter.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I would take an xbox one over a 1k PC any day of the week, and I hate xbox. 

Looking forward to getting my ps4.  Activision had better patch that crap to run right, because there's no excuse for poor performance this gen.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    You can buy a 500 dollar pc that out performs both consoles today. With that pc you can play mmorpg's as they were meant to be played
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I started gaming with consoles when I was like 10 and then switched to pcs when I was 17 and been gaming on a PC ever since.  Though this time around I'll be going back to console gaming. PC gaming has been a huge disappointment for me for the past several years now. All that technology hardware developers gives us each year goes to waste because the majority of developers do not use the PC to it's full potential because they want to max profits. Seems I wasted my money and I doubt I'll ever buy a pc gaming rig again.
  • 4Renziks4Renziks Member UncommonPosts: 390
    My consoles have moved to handhelds.  To me PC is my immersive is down play hardcore style gaming platform, and handhelds are for nostalagia/gaming on the go/old school RPG's. 3ds and vita all the way

playing: Dragon Age
    Waiting: for FF14, Mass Effect
    Want to try: Fallen Earth

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Waiting to see what Steam Machines are like. I am in between gaming rigs and don't want either new console. The prospect of SteamOS getting optimized performance from pc parts, that sexy controller, and something about the Valve mystique... I am intrigued. If support for it is good, I will jump in. Streamlined Linux-based gaming in an upgradable, modular box? Sounds fun. If I already upgraded my pc it might be a different story, but alas, I have not. Seems like good timing.