Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOL @ the new "level up" animation

RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Apparently some of the beta testers said that the "level up" message was too subtle during CBT 1-3. Well, this is one way to address that issue.  Below is a screencap of a Vine showing the full animation.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Comments

• KremchekKremchek Member Posts: 49
    Funny.
  • JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Lol ! That is great
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

There needs to be some type of rock guitar riff that goes along with the animation as well ;)

Funny stuff.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

I'd love to see a different lvl up animation for each class.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Best...level up animation...EVER!

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

This game looks like it was designed for a bunch of 10 year olds. I'm not one to be bothered by graphics much but between this level up thing and the silly looking hovercraft video I think I'll be avoiding this one.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Ender4

This game looks like it was designed for a bunch of 10 year olds...

Or 39 year olds like me :)

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

This game looks like it was designed for a bunch of 10 year olds...

Or 39 year olds like me :)

Or 31 year olds like me
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

This game looks like it was designed for a bunch of 10 year olds. I'm not one to be bothered by graphics much but between this level up thing and the silly looking hovercraft video I think I'll be avoiding this one.

The game is retro in design. It's all about nostalgia for people who had their childhood in the 70s-80s. I don't think the 10 years old of today will find it as interesting as people in their 30s who love(d) comic books and super hero TV shows/cartoons.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by azarhal

The game is retro in design. It's all about nostalgia for people who had their childhood in the 70s-80s. I don't think the 10 years old of today will find it as interesting as people in their 30s who love(d) comic books and super hero TV shows/cartoons.

I totally fit into the category of the 30 somethings who are getting all nostalgic over some parts of the game. Gotta figure it's folks in the 30s making a game that's going to appeal to the other 30 somethings. Could work well too.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    That cracked me up. Made my day Roxtarr and now I go back to homework. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Guess I'm just too old for it at 42~. All you young whipersnappers can enjoy it in your 30s.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Count me in as another 30 something year old who is pumped up to play WS. I am an advocate for virtual worlds, sandboxes, and player driven communities. But there is no denying WS looks amazing for what it is and I can't wait to play the heck out of it. 
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

There is so much BS already in this thread. Just because a few people from a forum post I'm 32 years old or I'm into comic books or whatever doesn't change the fact that they are targeting a very young audience. Nothing wrong with that, but stop pretending like the average MMO gamer in their late 20. 30s and 40/ is going to prefer this direction. Even the way they talk about their videos is like someone who was talking to a teen (or younger).

Now as far as the level up, I think it's awesome for my youngest niece lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Wow....talk about handing a trophy to everyone...I can only hope this is a inside joke. Come on guys really?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

The company I work for actually sent out an RFP with artwork similar to that for a corporate meeting (artwork done by yours truely, of course) and we got a good bit of work out of it. Feedback was that our creative was great.

This game looks fun like the speed racer movie was fun; Cheesy as all hell but a good ride none the less.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

30's and this reminds me nothing at all of Might & Magic, Wizardry, Zork, Knights of Legend or any of the gritty games I grew up on. 

What where you 30's playing that was as silly as this game?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Should have a huge DING! that makes your ears bleed!  Ahh the good ole days.

Ha! at the guy above how claims to love sandboxes, virtual worlds and player driven economies but can't wait to play this linear no freedom quest hub game.

Originally posted by bcbully

30's and this reminds me nothing at all of Might & Magic, Wizardry, Zork, Knights of Legend or any of the gritty games I grew up on. 

What where you 30's playing that was as silly as this game?

Ah, so am I to understand that you only like gritty MMO's then? Nothing wrong with that. Personal preference is ok. Why put every MMO into the same mold?

Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Wow....talk about handing a trophy to everyone...I can only hope this is a inside joke. Come on guys really?

So are you saying that when a player levels up it shouldn't be celebrated?

Originally posted by keithian

There is so much BS already in this thread. Just because a few people from a forum post I'm 32 years old or I'm into comic books or whatever doesn't change the fact that they are targeting a very young audience. Nothing wrong with that, but stop pretending like the average MMO gamer in their late 20. 30s and 40/ is going to prefer this direction. Even the way they talk about their videos is like someone who was talking to a teen (or younger).

Your niece has pretty good taste :D

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Your niece has pretty good taste :D

lol she does. Anyway, I actually agree with your point to the poster above about why making the game in the same mold as those that are gritty. Like I said, there is a target market for this type of game and I think this game will do fine with that target market and I think its healthy to have variety. I think there is just an older more worn out population of sandboxers and themepark folks that are just looking for that something different but still more mature..which I think only Occulus Rift will solve :-) lol.

http://www.oculusvr.com/

:-)

There Is Always Hope!

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Kaneth

There needs to be some type of rock guitar riff that goes along with the animation as well ;)

Funny stuff.

Man, if they did that. It would look like something straight out of Guilty Gear or BlazBlue.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

The largest quantity of BS on these forums come from players such as yourself who keep proclaiming that cartoons / stylised graphics are aimed at a certain age demographic.  While this style is inclusive of the younger players, it is by no means exclusive of older ones. 

There have been cartoons targeted squarely at adults for the past 40 years or so now.  Stop being so naïve.  Also if you think you are surrounded by mature adults when you play those 'gritty' games you are sorely mistaken.  Most of those games are heavily populated by kids trying to be tough rebels.  The same reason most of us watched mature / restricted films as kids.  If anything you are more likely to find a mature player base in games that are not going for realistic violence or overt sexualisation, because they aren't trying to be hard-core and they are focusing on being good games instead.

If you prefer realism for some reason (escapism? sexual issues? kicked in the face by Mickey at Disneyland?) then that's great. But the truth is that stylised and cartoony games have been some of the most commercially successful games across all demographics, especially in the RPG genre.  You are the outlier, not the norm.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

So are you saying that when a player levels up it shouldn't be celebrated?

If that was the fanfare for reaching max level then sure, for me it would be reason to celebrate. But for every freakin level on the road to max? Well hell you might as well have have this plastered on the screen:

No thanks...there's enough back patting done by devs to make players feel like special snowflakes I don't need them to add another insult to injury.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."