Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, they booted you from the FTP Asian server?

I read a few posts and it appears that way. 

How was it?  Can't you bounce off an Asian Proxy server or similar service? 

Sure seems like they are pulling all of the optimism out of those still playing.

Claus opens up and a decent balance patch makes people exited.  Then it goes silent and there hasn't been a patch since.

Asian server opens and people play it and like it?  AV bans them from that server.

I hope they start producing some good patches soon I keep hearing the population is hurting.

Comments

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Stop misinforming people. MGAME HANDLE THE RULES OF DF ASIA. AV has nothing to do with mGame banning people for playing it from the US. mGame wants to keep it regional because that's what the Asian players want and its somewhat required since the game is released and being hosted in Korea (korea has anit-bullying and anti-online-anonymity laws). 

They simply banned people for having non japanese/korean IP addresses. Sometimes, it was based on a person playing the game too well and being accused of hacking due to killing 8 people by yourself because the players are really bad in Asia since they are playing for the first time, aren't used to full loot, and aren't used to FPS games that play like quake-lite.

The Asian server is generally packed, which is why western players liked it. However, with the bans and the ping its not worth it for them to play really.  

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

The asian server is first and formost free of sub. Players in the west don't see why they should pay for such a service like DF:UW .

Way better game  quality and  service is needed to justify the horrendous sub for such a lousy quality.

DF:UW should be free as along as in beta qualitywise.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by xpiher

Stop misinforming people. MGAME HANDLE THE RULES OF DF ASIA. AV has nothing to do with mGame banning people for playing it from the US. mGame wants to keep it regional because that's what the Asian players want and its somewhat required since the game is released and being hosted in Korea (korea has anit-bullying and anti-online-anonymity laws). 

They simply banned people for having non japanese/korean IP addresses. Sometimes, it was based on a person playing the game too well and being accused of hacking due to killing 8 people by yourself because the players are really bad in Asia since they are playing for the first time, aren't used to full loot, and aren't used to FPS games that play like quake-lite.

The Asian server is generally packed, which is why western players liked it. However, with the bans and the ping its not worth it for them to play really.  

I know nothing of the situation, but I know AV has complete control of their game. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by bcbully

I know nothing of the situation, but I know AV has complete control of their game. 

Only when it comes to what goes in the game. They made concession for the Asian version. One of those concessions was the optional faction system and making the races more diverse and colorful, increasing grind, and offering F2P. The administration of the game and the item mall is being handled completely by mGame. I fully expect the item mall to contain house decoractions, deeds, prowess pots, etc. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

The asian server is first and formost free of sub. Players in the west don't see why they should pay for such a service like DF:UW .Way better game  quality and  service is needed to justify the horrendous sub for such a lousy quality.DF:UW should be free as along as in beta qualitywise. 

What in the.... in what universe is it acceptable to claim any service SHOULD be free? Why on earth should you be allowed to play and enjoy a game totally for free?
  • HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Holophonist

The asian server is first and formost free of sub. Players in the west don't see why they should pay for such a service like DF:UW .

Way better game  quality and  service is needed to justify the horrendous sub for such a lousy quality.

What in the.... in what universe is it acceptable to claim any service SHOULD be free? Why on earth should you be allowed to play and enjoy a game totally for free?

The Asian server's  free, what don't you understand about that?

I also play and enjoy World of Tanks, which is totally free. (among many other games) It's really not a new concept!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Hancakes

I also play and enjoy World of Tanks, which is totally free. (among many other games) It's really not a new concept!

But realize, you are not the target market of the developers, they want players who will pay for using the service. 

I'm sure if they could find a way to scrape the freeloaders off of their shoes they would, but they are a necessary evil since there's no easy way to discern who is a real customer and those who just are along for the free ride.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

But realize, you are not the target market of the developers, they want players who will pay for using the service. 

I'm sure if they could find a way to scrape the freeloaders off of their shoes they would, but they are a necessary evil since there's no easy way to discern who is a real customer and those who just are along for the free ride.

Point being, there ARE successful totally free games.

The asian server is first and formost free of sub. Players in the west don't see why they should pay for such a service like DF:UW . Way better game  quality and  service is needed to justify the horrendous sub for such a lousy quality. DF:UW should be free as along as in beta qualitywise.  

Where exactly did I say free to play games can't be successful?? I'm attacking the idea that anybody has the right to a free game. Saying "players don't feel like they should have to pay for a service like dfuw" is just downright ridiculous, plain and simple.

Where exactly did I say free to play games can't be successful?? I'm attacking the idea that anybody has the right to a free game. Saying "players don't feel like they should have to pay for a service like dfuw" is just downright ridiculous, plain and simple.

Could it have anything to do with Asian DFUW being free? We PAID to beta test DFUW for the Asian market and they get it for free. Anyway, given the quality I certainly don't think DFUW is worth $15 a month. The western game will never survive with its current pricing.

The asian server is first and formost free of sub. Players in the west don't see why they should pay for such a service like DF:UW . Way better game  quality and  service is needed to justify the horrendous sub for such a lousy quality. DF:UW should be free as along as in beta qualitywise.  

Could it have anything to do with Asian DFUW being free? We PAID to beta test DFUW for the Asian market and they get it for free. Anyway, given the quality I certainly don't think DFUW is worth $15 a month. The western game will never survive with its current pricing.

It
    What they're charging for the game an entire world away has nothing to do with you. This is just envy. If you don't think it's worth $15 then don't play it. Personally I've never been able to fathom that position. The only thing that stops me from playing an MMO is whether or not I like it, not the price. The highest sub you see around is $15/mo, which is basically free when compared to other forms of entertainment.

It What they're charging for the game an entire world away has nothing to do with you. This is just envy. If you don't think it's worth $15 then don't play it. Personally I've never been able to fathom that position. The only thing that stops me from playing an MMO is whether or not I like it, not the price. The highest sub you see around is $15/mo, which is basically free when compared to other forms of entertainment.

Games like DFUW don't work without a healthy player base, apparently not enough people are willing to pay $15 plus the cost of the game. Everyone flocked to the Asian server because it had people, it had people because it was FREE.

DFUW (western) will go F2P, greatly reduce prices or die.  AV wanted microtransactions from the start with DFUW and it was designed around it, I'm sure its not far off for this market.

It What they're charging for the game an entire world away has nothing to do with you. This is just envy. If you don't think it's worth $15 then don't play it. Personally I've never been able to fathom that position. The only thing that stops me from playing an MMO is whether or not I like it, not the price. The highest sub you see around is $15/mo, which is basically free when compared to other forms of entertainment.

Games like DFUW don't work without a healthy player base, apparently not enough people are willing to pay $15 plus the cost of the game. Everyone flocked to the Asian server because it had people, it had people because it was FREE.

DFUW (western) will go F2P, greatly reduce prices or die.  AV wanted microtransactions from the start with DFUW and it was designed around it, I'm sure its not far off for this market.

I don't see how those assumptions have anything to do with people demanding to play a game for free.

Why was the Asian server so popular?https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?382688-NA-EU-servers

This community, I swear... Again, I'm not saying free to play games won't work. I'm saying it's presumptuous and arrogant to think that you're entitled to play any game for free. It's up to the devs to decide what payment model to use and it's up to you to decide if it's worth it to play.

It's all well and good for you to make a judgement about what model would be best in this situation, but that's different from some angry kid saying "we don't think we should have to pay to play this game." Also your take on the situation isn't gospel. You don't have access to same information they do. Also, sure dfuw is a game that greatly benefits from having more players, but it's also a game that may be ruined by introducing f2p types of players.

Why was the Asian server so popular?

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?382688-NA-EU-servers

but it's also a game that may be ruined by introducing f2p types of players.

DFUW isn't looking too good NOW, plus its not sustainable. Its not like DFUW hasn't already been plagued with gold farmers and cheats, if those are the types you're referring to.

Why was the Asian server so popular? https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?382688-NA-EU-servers

DFUW isn't looking too good NOW, plus its not sustainable. Its not like DFUW hasn't already been plagued with gold farmers and cheats, if those are the types you're referring to.

Well first of all I'm not claiming either system is better than the other. I'm saying there are arguments to be made on both sides. F2p would probably attract less mature players. That would make a ffa full loot pvp game considerably worse.

Second, just because the game isn't doing well now doesn't mean f2p would be better. We don't know if they're making or losing money. But I will say that if it comes down to shutting the doors or going f2p, then there probably isn't any reason not to try.

Why was the Asian server so popular?

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?382688-NA-EU-servers

Second, just because the game isn't doing well now doesn't mean f2p would be better. We don't know if they're making or losing money.

According to an AV employee they are losing money, they need to increase population by 50+% to just break even.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

See DF:UW is not fully programmed, its still half of the game, basically it is in beta quality wise missing half the classes for example. 

Let aside that even if you take in that it still would be a broken game after all classes are in, techically its not reached the status feature complete which in the prorgramming world defnes a product that is out of beta.

Since its not feature complete no one should pay for beta.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

See DF:UW is not fully programmed, its still half of the game, basically it is in beta quality wise missing half the classes for example. 

Let aside that even if you take in that it still would be a broken game after all classes are in, techically its not reached the status feature complete which in the prorgramming world defnes a product that is out of beta.

So if they just never told you about those missing classes then it wouldn't be a beta? What you're saying is totally meaningless. They offer you a product, you bought it. That's it. End of story. There's no "paid beta" or whatever you want to call it.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196

So if they just never told you about those missing classes then it wouldn't be a beta? What you're saying is totally meaningless. They offer you a product, you bought it. That's it. End of story. There's no "paid beta" or whatever you want to call it.

I think it has more to do with the devs saying something will be in the game, and then not following through. It could also be considered a "paid beta." GW2 allowed you to beta test if you preordered and also gave you early access. A lot of games do this now...

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Sometimes, it was based on a person playing the game too well and being accused of hacking due to killing 8 people by yourself because the players are really bad in Asia since they are playing for the first time, aren't used to full loot, and aren't used to FPS games that play like quake-lite.

lol to all 3 red parts. None of those are true and generalization (may even be a bit of a racial generation).

1. Players are really bad in Asia? Tell that to the Starcraft and CS pro-circuit, lol

2. Aren't used to full loot? There are already several mmos in Asia that are free-for-all pvp (for example AoW) and full loot.

3. Aren't used to FPS games? Once again a lot of FPS champs in pro-circuits comes out of Asia, buddy (not necessarily more than euro but definitely more than US)

Originally posted by CowboyHat

I think it has more to do with the devs saying something will be in the game, and then not following through. It could also be considered a "paid beta." GW2 allowed you to beta test if you preordered and also gave you early access. A lot of games do this now...

Saying it's a paid beta because there are promised classes that aren't in the game is a meaningless statement. You can say that they haven't delivered on what they've promised. That would be accurate and mean something. But I still say you shouldn't buy a game based on what you're promised; buy a game if you want to play it. It seems almost all of the complaints about the game are just nebulous b.s. about broken promises etc.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

When did 50 cents a day become a "horrendous" amount of money, are you a time traveler from the year 1910?  I throw more than that in a pocket change jar at the end of each day.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Sometimes, it was based on a person playing the game too well and being accused of hacking due to killing 8 people by yourself because the players are really bad in Asia since they are playing for the first time, aren't used to full loot, and aren't used to FPS games that play like quake-lite.

lol to all 3 red parts. None of those are true and generalization (may even be a bit of a racial generation).

1. Players are really bad in Asia? Tell that to the Starcraft and CS pro-circuit, lol

2. Aren't used to full loot? There are already several mmos in Asia that are free-for-all pvp (for example AoW) and full loot.

3. Aren't used to FPS games? Once again a lot of FPS champs in pro-circuits comes out of Asia, buddy (not necessarily more than euro but definitely more than US)

Koreans are good at starcraft 2 because of their work ethic and their history in rts games. They don't have the same history in fps games. fps games have largely been eastern european.