Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Issue 8: The Venetian Agenda Preview Video Arrives

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Joel Bylos hosts the latest Secret World video that heralds the arrival of Issue 8: The Venetian Agenda. The update brings special training "scenarios" to the game where players earn certification to enter Tokyo when it arrives in TSW at a later point in time. The augment system also receives attention to give players a heads up on how to fine tune abilities to become more powerful. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

hmmm wait wut?

i was told i would get issue 8 this week...thats in 24hrs!!!!- cool vid  but...

'i want my issue 8 right meow!'...yay!!!....yay!

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Looks great! I just started playing again and I'm having a blast!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by orbitxo

hmmm wait wut?

Uh, Issue #8 went live 2 hours or more before the timestamp on your post.

EDITED TO ADD: well, for subbed / grandmaster members that is. According to the launcher message everyone else can get it in the ingame store on Sunday.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I keep trying to get into this game but the combat is just not my cup of tea and feels boring.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Issue 8 is crap,they transformed an awesome game in to bored hard core grind,without augments no sense continue playing game,pvp or future content.

Scenarios are bored grind...TSW was great game

Originally posted by dancingstar
    Originally posted by orbitxo

hmmm wait wut?

Uh, Issue #8 went live 2 hours or more before the timestamp on your post.

yay!!!!!!!!-yay!!!!!!!!!!  ty for info! (at work atm)

great news!

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

I love this game but with the auguments its just becomes too much for me too keep track off

I have a hard time now with all the skills (have full wheel), the weapons, armor and different stats (have most things 10.4 and different builds)

Its just too much too keep track off. For me its just too many numbers and effects spread out everywhere. 

Originally posted by spawn12345

I love this game but with the auguments its just becomes too much for me too keep track off

I have a hard time now with all the skills (have full wheel), the weapons, armor and different stats (have most things 10.4 and different builds)

Its just too much too keep track off. For me its just too many numbers and effects spread out everywhere. 

hey this just came out today.

you dotn need to implement everything now- just do the story and events. all will fall into place , its not a mandatory augment system . itll be very overwhelming at first , as everything- someone will write an indeph  into the system and you can understand it better.

'keep calm - Agenda on!'

=)

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I haven't played in a while (since 5). Do you buy the issues in game? I got an email letting me know 8 was up with a link to buy it, but when I click the link I go to my account, but no offer to buy the issue. I looked at the in game store and there isn't a clear way to buy it there either. I haven't bought 6 or 7.

Yeah you can buy the issues through the in-game store.

• LyeryJazzLyeryJazz Member UncommonPosts: 6
    There is a lot  in this issue and it can be overwhelming but what comes with issue 8 looks frighting as it should be, this is a horror game.  I know it seems a bit overwhelming but as stated before take your time and learn what needs to be learned to move forward.  As is mentioned by Joel Bylos, most of the new content is aimed at the end gamers.  So far, even with the fun times I am having in Final Fantasy 14, I still come back to TSW and feel like I am missing a loved friend.  This game is so deep and hits on so many levels. And for those who complain that they think the combat is boring.  That can be further from the truth.  First you have two options for combat, normal tabbed fighting, or switch using "T" to aimed fighting such as in Tera. As you progress and especially in the story missions you really have to use your head and know how to overcome the different monsters and even the environment.  This isn't a game for those who like to plow quickly through everything. It begs to stop and look around, use your gray matter.  I have found no other mmo with such a deep and moving story line. 
  • ChaaKChaaK Member Posts: 39

That.

Tried 3 times already, can't get past this horrible combat system. And icons, those horrible icons.

I'd so much want to get into this game.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by ChaaK

That.

Tried 3 times already, can't get past this horrible combat system. And icons, those horrible icons.

I'd so much want to get into this game.

If thats what stopping you to play a great game. I feel sorry for you:)

The complains about the combat in TSW is REALLY GETTING OLD, I Think maybe 80 percent of the players complaining about the combat has never understood the versatility of the skill Wheel and making diffrent builds to suit diffrent needs. But for that to happen you need to play the game abit longer.

The combat in TSW is no diffrent than MOST games, infact it's even better than many. The issue with the combat comes from the very slow beggining of the game when your characthers has very few and limited skills.

The Icons ? What diffrence does it make that the Icons is horrible(your opinion) just learn where you have a set skill , don't look at the Icons ..:)

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    combat is 85% of this game and people have a right to like what they want and can voice it how they wish as long as its respectful. I to have always since day 1 thought this game was crap and it wouldnt be buy to play from subscription if it was so successful. Just like people on here saying how great AOC is yet they are down to one server , obviously there is a lot more people that agree with us about these games than a minority of players on this site. They also promised new combat animations and skills yet have still to this day never implemented them.
    Originally posted by cronius77
    combat is 85% of this game and people have a right to like what they want and can voice it how they wish as long as its respectful. I to have always since day 1 thought this game was crap and it wouldnt be buy to play from subscription if it was so successful. Just like people on here saying how great AOC is yet they are down to one server , obviously there is a lot more people that agree with us about these games than a minority of players on this site. They also promised new combat animations and skills yet have still to this day never implemented them.

Naturally , everyone can and should voice their opinion ...

But when it mostly doesn't make any sence then you can also question the reason for why players feel that way.

As evident in your post you are making bold assumptions based on both these games populations, If the populations are low that means the game must be bad and that they also agree with you..

I'll give you somewhat right, It could be "ONE" of the reasons people isn't playing AOC or TSW.

I Think the bad population numbers come from a whole multitude of diffrent reasons, where one of them is an old rumour about bad combat and poor animations that has been around since the game released.  Naturally it's up to each individual to Think what they wan't and also voice it, but in this particular case , I'd say it's pretty much bullshit.

Bullshit you say, well that's your opinion, yeah , thats right..But I'm basing it off playing the game with a alot of players , and not even ONCE has ANYONE  EVER complained about "the poor animations" or the "bad combat"

The ONLY time I see this is in forums talking about the game, and well...

Yeah..I Think it's wrong...but that's me :)

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by Orbitxo

hey this just came out today.

you dotn need to implement everything now- just do the story and events. all will fall into place , its not a mandatory augment system . itll be very overwhelming at first , as everything- someone will write an indeph  into the system and you can understand it better.

'keep calm - Agenda on!'

=)

You say that's it's not mandatory, but you can bet that LFG shouts will look something like this very very soon; LF2M SOME DUNGEON. FULL 10.4 gear + all skills augmented req. 

And you can bet that people will start demanding such things even for content that doesn't require it at all. Not Funcom's fault perse, but that's what WILL happen.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by thark

But when it mostly doesn't make any sence then you can also question the reason for why players feel that way.

As evident in your post you are making bold assumptions based on both these games populations, If the populations are low that means the game must be bad and that they also agree with you..

I'll give you somewhat right, It could be "ONE" of the reasons people isn't playing AOC or TSW.

I Think the bad population numbers come from a whole multitude of diffrent reasons, where one of them is an old rumour about bad combat and poor animations that has been around since the game released.  Naturally it's up to each individual to Think what they wan't and also voice it, but in this particular case , I'd say it's pretty much bullshit.

Bullshit you say, well that's your opinion, yeah , thats right..But I'm basing it off playing the game with a alot of players , and not even ONCE has ANYONE  EVER complained about "the poor animations" or the "bad combat"

I think the real problem is that there's very little in the way of tutorial on the combat system, and many people are picking abilities and skills without really understanding how they work.  The freedom of the TSW ability wheel and skills also gives players the complete freedom to create a deck that is utter crap.  It doesn't help that the decks (hidden where many never see them) aren't that great either.  Once people start to understand the synergies between abilities, they start feeling better about what they can do.  Most, I think, though jump in, pick some random abilities, create a random crap deck, mash the buttons for awhile thinking they are locked into that build forever, and then quit/start trash talking.  There's good info in the forums, but if the average ADD gamer doesn't take 2 seconds to read and learn, it's unlikely they'll pick things up.

As for animations, that's completely subjective.  /shrug

Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by thark

I think the real problem is that there's very little in the way of tutorial on the combat system, and many people are picking abilities and skills without really understanding how they work.  The freedom of the TSW ability wheel and skills also gives players the complete freedom to create a deck that is utter crap.  It doesn't help that the decks (hidden where many never see them) aren't that great either.  Once people start to understand the synergies between abilities, they start feeling better about what they can do.  Most, I think, though jump in, pick some random abilities, create a random crap deck, mash the buttons for awhile thinking they are locked into that build forever, and then quit/start trash talking.  There's good info in the forums, but if the average ADD gamer doesn't take 2 seconds to read and learn, it's unlikely they'll pick things up.

As for animations, that's completely subjective.  /shrug

I agree with this aswell, and the skills are naturally rather weak in the start of the game plus you don't really have that many Points to experiment with wich in turn doesn't really give you that many options ...

The real question is how much should a developer support clueless players , that in turn give other players false ideas about a game in forums ?

The thing with the "bad combat" and/or poor" animations" has went so far that it's seen in every single thread atleast once regarding this game, yet there is nothing wrong with both the combat or the animations.

Sure it's mostly subjective , what you feel about a games animations and combat. But in all honesty if the combat or animations are that bad in TSW there is not many games that has good combat or animations because there isn't much diffrence, infact TSW is a Product of very high quality and standars and the above is certainly above average in this game.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I get pretty tired of reading about how the combat ruins the game as well. I guess if that's what someone is looking for in a game this one won't deliver to most, but, to me, that isn't what the game is about. It's about the story, lore, and immersion. It's about an alternate reality that blurs the lines with this reality.

With that said, the character build system is both cool and completely non-intuitive. Starter decks work great through most of Kingsmouth and maybe a little beyond. When I'm adding skills I have no real clue, unless I go do a lot of internet research, what I should be unlocking next and the direction I should be going in. The skill/attribute wheel and the synergy between skills and passives is about as complex as the quests and stories. That's fine, but I think it would be helpful if there was some more handholding along those lines.

For example, I'm still specc'd blade and fist because I like the playstyle. But also because I have no clue how to go about building and exploring other specs. I don't even know the right direction to take my build as I unlock unless I go read a bunch of forums. That's okay with me but I think it is also holding players back where a more intuitive system would encourage personal exploration.

There is Always the training room in your characthers starting town, It let's you spec your characther and test out skills and diffrent builds. Then you can respec the skillpoints used in there :) It takes time and patience to do it but is far better and more pleasing to do than Reading some guide on the internet.

It's a complex and huge skill Wheel  wich could be overwhelming , but not that difficult..since in the beginning in Kingsmouth you have very limited Points that let's you buy but a few skills and you are alright with just one skill set, you do not have to use skills from 2. With one skillset it's just a matter of buying skills that unlocks. For the dungeons thou you may need a good setup :) But thats Another story.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

I played TSW in beta but didn't think it was worth picking up but with the latest Steam sale I grabbed a copy and I'm pleased with the improvements since beta. As for the combat system I'm sticking to Chaos magic for the foreseeable future and building as I go rather than trying to pick n mix from the whole wheel at once. This way I can get to know what content I can tackle and what I cannot, this simplifies the process and forces me put together a build that utilises active and passives from the same discipline. When it starts to be ineffective I'll be forced to back it up with another discipline but at least I should have a decent grasp on what I need inorder to make it more effective.

So simply stick to one discipline until the content forces you to change it up as there is plenty of content to progress in the early stages to play around a bit.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Dam ! You thought the game was creepy in the past the mood just switched ! Opera ! Yes the music , it give the game a new feel . bought it has soon as I was back I went to it but I just passed the desert part but I have to go back grind my new build .I had done by using 1 class only but now I m high enough that I had to use a build .so this stuff slowed me .but so far ? Love this game worth every $ paid . wish I could say the same for warhammer online or age of conan(rofl)
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    If any are scratching their head for what class to use .start with the premade build . stick to the beginner one till you are past the desert part