Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: Undead Labs' Zombie MMO Precursor

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Undead Labs' sandbox zombie survival RPG "State of Decay" launched this week on Steam, after several months of Xbox Live exclusivity. Not an MMO itself, but the precursor to Undead Labs eventual zombie MMO, we're taking a look at the game today to see how it's faring on the PC.

Like other games in the zombie genre, your characters will grow tired if you spend too much time out in the wilderness, and you'll want to switch between different survivors to keep them all rested (which takes real-world time to accomplish).  You'll spend most of the game finding and collecting supplies to keep your camp running and its inhabitants healthy, all while progressing a main story-arc.  When you log out, though SoD's not an MMO, the game goes on without you.  The camp will eat through supplies and your tired or sick characters will rest or get worse for wear.  This isn't explained very well in-game, but I'd advise reading the "How to Play" section at the game's launch menu.

Read the rest of Bill Murphy's State of Decay: Undead Labs' Zombie MMO Precursor.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Game is tons of fun

Steam: Neph

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Good game but can be boring at times due to the repetitive rinse and repeat quests but I think they will be having sandbox mode soon where people can just go crazy and do whatever.
  • NerblasNerblas Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I for one, love it..

"Vidis Fodidis Est"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Well, I guess they've backed off on the whole "console only" idea. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• headbanzheadbanz Member Posts: 11
    If you stop and think a little, "every" Zombie MMO has your fans. You know why? Bcoz its freakin awesome!

"The light shall bring victory!"

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    Just got this on Steam for PC. The max resolution and aspect ratio are low so it looks a bit lame. Keybindings are locked and not configurable. I guess for $20 you get what you pay for but I'll save this one for later in hopes for some updates or mods that address those issues.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

does one still need a console controller for t he PC version? thats what stoping me from trying it out...

TSW had Zombies for a while hence Kingsmouth.

<.<

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    1st time i got eaten by a fat zombie was freaking awesome even if i did lose my best character and so restarted the whole game again but it was worth it lawl. The only thing i don't like is coming back a few days later to play the game and everything has changed due to " the game carries on for 2 days after you stop playing" thing.
  • eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

The keybindings issues and low res are keeping me from buying this game. I don't want to instantly know I'm playing a console port.

Consoles do sports games well, that's about it. Wish devs would realize this.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by orbitxo

does one still need a console controller for t he PC version? thats what stoping me from trying it out...

TSW had Zombies for a while hence Kingsmouth.

<.<

You haven't needed a console controller in SOD for months now.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BuddyDudeBuddyDude Member UncommonPosts: 52

This post screams of "we have nothing else to talk about"  SOD is a weak console port and should be ridiculed for it.  7 days to die or The Dead Linger would be better "zombie" games to talk about.  They are not lame fetch and kill X number of Y quest games. 

Lame controls, terrible graphics.  Just a typical console port.  Gamers need to stop supporting laziness.  

• OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Low Res graphics? I play on ultra high settings, forget exact resolution buts its very high.  Game looks great to me.  Am I missing something?
  • OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by drwebs

This post screams of "we have nothing else to talk about"  SOD is a weak console port and should be ridiculed for it.  7 days to die or The Dead Linger would be better "zombie" games to talk about.  They are not lame fetch and kill X number of Y quest games. 

Lame controls, terrible graphics.  Just a typical console port.  Gamers need to stop supporting laziness.  

Do you have the game? 

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135

The game has it's issues, but considering that it's refreshing, innovative, an indie title, and the fact that it's a 20 dollar game... I couldn't have been happier with what they had created.

I wish the success of SoD can translate into their next game in the next few years... Seriously we need some decent zombie games that's not an ARMA mod or look like one...

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135

7 days to die or The Dead Linger would be better "zombie" games to talk about.  They are not lame fetch and kill X number of Y quest games. 

Did you notice that there's NO sub genre in "zombie" games? Every game the devs have ever created since DayZ, yes including 7 days to die and The Dead Linger, are extremely similar to the original mod. State of Decay is one of the very few, if not the only one, to build its core gameplay around the community management aspect, and for that it deserve the credit.

I do agree that it's a bad console port and for that the devs should be ashamed for themselves... IF they have a fat and wealthy publisher like EA or something sitting right next to them. It's a 20 dollar indie title from a brand new studio... Cut them some slack, will you?

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

7 days to die or The Dead Linger would be better "zombie" games to talk about.  They are not lame fetch and kill X number of Y quest games. 

How much of SoD have you played? I have to ask because on my playthrough I didn't get any of those missions.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Every developer uses PC's to make their game.

To turn around and make the game a terrible console port on PC bespeaks a basic lack of respect for the tools that made them popular.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

The game (on PC) feels a little bit like a "beer and pretzels" game. It is not a good as say DayZ mode for Arma II but it is still fun. While the horrid controller only controls at first kept me from trying the game, one they actually enable mouse/keyboard I found I had to give it a go. Also, the graphics were a bit of a concern but after playing a while I find I have hardly noticed. Bottom line, for $20 it was well worth it.

Now, as to the MMO. I hope they IMPROVE everything they have put into the game so far. I hope that does not become War Z all over again.

Let's party like it is 1863!