Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Blizzard's Financials Better Than Anticipated

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to the Quarter 3 2013 data released by Activision-Blizzard, World of Warcraft subscriptions are down a scant 100,000 since last quarter. The previous quarter saw over a half million subscribers drop out of the game. In addition, the company is doing better overall and beat their financial predictions for the quarter.

Bobby Kotick, Chief Executive Officer of Activision Blizzard, said, “Our third-quarter results exceeded our expectations, and we are able to raise our outlook for 2013 net revenues and earnings per share. Robust continued engagement with our core franchises drove digital revenue, which constituted a majority of all revenue. This quarter demonstrates that games like Call of Duty and World of Warcraft engage and entertain our fans year round.”

Check out the Activision-Blizzard Investor Summary Sheet for more information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    If you love Blizzard and WoW this , of course, will be confirmation; if you dislike Blizzard and WoW these financials will not make sense and be inaccurate.

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by flizzer
    If you love Blizzard and WoW this , of course, will be confirmation; if you dislike Blizzard and WoW these financials will not make sense and be inaccurate.

Ahaha, that sounds about right. image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    The link links to Q2 results, not Q3.
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Kids are being born every day. Of course Wow's numbers arent gonna drop much because they are being repopulated as they make it out of kindergarten.  Kek
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

Based on the number of friends and family returning to WoW recently I assumed their sub numbers weren't going to go down much and perhaps would even increase so such a small drop isn't a surprise. Blizzard was also running a strong ad campaign to former subscribers offering 7 days free etc to lure people back.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by tom_gore

My bad. Link fixed. ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by tom_gore

That's OK, the editors actually can't really comprehend the information on that page (nor most of the posters here) so it really doesn't matter if it's the correct quarter, written in French or whatever.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

Based on the number of friends and family returning to WoW recently I assumed their sub numbers weren't going to go down much and perhaps would even increase so such a small drop isn't a surprise. Blizzard was also running a strong ad campaign to former subscribers offering 7 days free etc to lure people back.

My wife and I recently went back after a 7 month hiatus. We were playing GW2 exclusively, got hooked into FF XIV: ARR and then thought, if we're going to play a themepark mmo may as well place the one with the most polish. Thus, back to WoW. Despite the bad wrap the game gets, it's still one of the most polished mmos out there and there's plenty to do. I love the idea behind the Timeless Isle, but I wish it wasn't such a giant loot pinata, although it is a nice catch up method as well. 

I get the feeling there's been a fair number of folks returning. The server seems to be picking up, and I've noticed my friends list is way more active. Doesn't surprise me to see WoW still doing well.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    After trying everything else out there ended up going back to WoW as well.  Still the best end game PvE raiding if you like that sort of thing, still the best end-game competitive PvP if you are into that.   And one of the last MMO's that isn't p2w left out there.
  • Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204

Just recently returned to WoW myself.

For as much as I'd like to love GW2 especially after putting 14 months into the game, I've just reached my limit with the lack of polish and no optimizations. 

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

Logical stop to the exit with this leveling off:

1. Connected realms make for populated realms with healthy economies. It is a long term winner whatever the future content.

2. The F2P trend in MMO land stopped. No more old sub based games that can lure WoW players in.

3. Hearthstone is extremely hot and puts Warcraft in the center of the universe again.

4. Expect the Blizzard Dota game to have the same influence as HS on WoW franchizing.

5. All depends now on the next expansion: if it will make use of the techniques of ever populated worlds and healthy economies, I think many people will be in for a sursprise ... subscription wise during 2014.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It doesn't surprise me. I went back for a couple of months after a 2 year break, to play with family, now canceled again. Like someone said above, if you want a themepark with polish and lots to do, people go back to WoW. Why play some new themepark game that has little to do, that has no seamless worlds for exploring when you can just play one thats established already and you can go back to visit anytime.

If there were a decent housing like UO or DAOC with player vendors in WoW and no gear grind it would probably keep me subscribed longer. Heck UO still gets my subscription money every single month after all these years, whether I'm playing  or not. I don't wanna lose my Keep :)

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• KatbirdKatbird Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Not bad at all for a nine year old game.  Wouldn't be bad for a brand new one either!

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    If you're going to play a themepark mmo then wow is the best choice. Nobody does themepark better than blizzard.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I have to laugh at Industry expert that think that F2p is the future. 10 Million WoW players would like to disagreee.......
    Truth is that recent MMOs are rubbish. Devs need to create reak MMOs and not Massive Single Player games

• PlutonasPlutonas Member Posts: 32

WoW best MMO experience in every aspect no new MMO can compete end of story!

We love it and the subscription is vital to keep the game polished and vital :-)

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by sportsfan

4. Expect the Blizzard Dota game to have the same influence as HS on WoW franchizing.

This is the one Blizzard product I have my doubts on.  They have MASSIVE competition in LOL and DOTA2.  I'm not sure how they'll be able to beat those two games.  It's too bad they didn't recognize how to monetize DOTA much sooner.  they could have hired all of the DOTA mod devs and been the first to produce an MOBA.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Diablo 3 is probably the reason for the good quarter not WoW.....
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Diablo 3 is probably the reason for the good quarter not WoW.....

Truly worthy of a John Luc Picard facepalm moment image

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by moguy2
    Kids are being born every day. Of course Wow's numbers arent gonna drop much because they are being repopulated as they make it out of kindergarten.  Kek

I just started playing WoW again last week. I'm a 32 y/o with a family and a great career. I recently hooked up with a guild full of nice, intelligent adults and having been running content for a week straight. Haven't had any issues with these recently born kindergarten kids you speak of. Hopefully they will get bored and leave as I have no desire to play with them.

I think a lot of the children you speak of have already gotten bored and left to post negative comments on forums all day.. bah, who knows lol.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Online subs still make up about 1/4 of their revenue. Hell, WoW could drop to 5 million and they will still be making more in subs than most do with everything. There is always a boost when a new game hits, then it's gone in a month without a constant revenue stream. $75 million a month, every month, from a single game is nothing to sneeze at.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by moguy2

Khm, started to play it aprox at age of 44 and still planning for years to play. Not only kids discover at some time wow (or other games for that matter) But because there are more mmo games out there then anytime in past I'm not constantly subbed as once, love to try other stuff, too. But still wow is the king.