Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your favorite dungeoncrawl mmo ?

124»

Comments

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    Now can someone answer my Age of Conan question?

Oh you want your question answered? Silly us; we all thought you wanted to be nagged to death. I'll be watching the thread for an answer to the AoC question. It piqued my interest when someone said they had the best dungeons + sieges. But if it's a quest hub game then NO THANKS.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Aoc is a quest hub type game yes.

The dungeons in Aoc (and tsw) are top quality, but I find the rest of the games lacking, tsw has a nice way of doing quests which isn't really using hubs as they use long multi stage quests. Both games are lacking at stuff like crafting and pvp. Aoc also has a bloody awful ui.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by goldtoof

The dungeons in Aoc (and tsw) are top quality, but I find the rest of the games lacking, tsw has a nice way of doing quests which isn't really using hubs as they use long multi stage quests. Both games are lacking at stuff like crafting and pvp. Aoc also has a bloody awful ui.

Looks like i should try out AoC. It does sound like it can be enjoyed as a solo game.

• Without a doubt, Dungeons&Dragons Online...

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

What is good about their dungeons? Can you answer any of the above? If they're instanced, quest locked, ect?

• Lam3zorLam3zor Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I'll have to go with wizardry... dungeons are not instanced(there are some instanced fights but you go into the dungeon as a channel and anyone else can go there too). gameplay's pretty nice too
  • f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

What is good about their dungeons? Can you answer any of the above? If they're instanced, quest locked, ect?

That has already been answered a few times throughout this thread. [mod edit]

• Cyeric99Cyeric99 Member Posts: 2
    yea
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by f0dell54

That has already been answered a few times throughout this thread. [mod edit]

My specific questions haven't, actually.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Runescape...They have a skill called dungeoneering, in which a party of up to 5 (or solo) can enter the dungeons of deamonhiem. These dungeons are structured in progressively deeper and more difficult floors, and currently go 60 floors deep. Each floor is randomized as to it's exact content. The party leader can designate a few parameters, such as floor size, general difficulty, and level of complexity. But, the monsters, puzzles, available resources, and layout of a floor will be different no matter how many times you replay a single floor.

You can learn as much as a method for solving a puzzle, and you can learn the types of rooms you will encounter (useless rooms, resource rich rooms, guardian door rooms, puzzle rooms etc.) But, you will always have to solve and fight your way through. You get better at it. But, it never becomes a mindless task.

Within the game it is often called by players the "all skill, skill" Because much of it requires skilling to get through. Like having a high enough strength level to remove a beam from a barricaded door, or having a high enough fishing and cooking level to get resources in order to temp an otter to go through the correct series of holes in the ice, so that it will wind up on a pressure plate that unlocks a door.

A players contribution to their team is recognized. If they got the most keys, healed the most of their fellows, died the least, did the most damage etc. The tokons and dungeoneering experience they earn on a given floor reflects it. Tokons can be spent outside of deamonheim on amazing gear for play within the rest of Runescape. And the higher your dungeoneering level becomes the more secret places you unlock in the rest of Runescape (some are really great mat/gear grinding dungeons).

To me though...the best part of it is -besides your ring of kinship and you- nothing goes in, and nothing comes out. Your gear and supplies you have outside of dungoneering can't be taken in with you. Rather you use your skills vs. the reqs you meet to slowly build your gear set for inside the dungeons. As you level dungeoneering and meet required combat specs you can bind new gear for use inside the dungeons and customize your ring to boost your combat style. And, so what makes you a good dungeoneer is experience doing it.

It's a game within the game really. I have seen first day newbs crawl down into deamonhiem and re-apear some months later as high levels. A player can technically ignore the rest of the game and forge themselves in deamonhiem if they so choose. It's simply the most elegant system of dungeon going I have seen in a game to date.