Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online: Latest Update Features Game Play Video

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest Pathfinder Online developer diary has been posted on the official page and it features a nifty video with in-game footage to show off how hard the team has been working to meet the latest series of goals for Quarter 3 2013.

We have set up a GoblinSquad team for Movember, and I encourage you to join us in rocking some awesome mustaches and doing some good for our fathers, brothers and friends.

For this week's update, Mike Hines has put together an update video showing the results of the team's hard work on the Q3 milestone. It includes appearances by much of the team in game as play testers, and we hope you enjoy it!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I'm so tired of videos like these.  Until you can show off actual gameplay like combat, don't show anything.  It's really easy to put together some nice-looking -- and static -- landscape shots.  I'm sure everyone else will get all wet over this video, but I just don't get why they fall for the same traps every time.  And no, a few crappy archery animations doesn't count.

You make me like charity

• shohenshohen Member UncommonPosts: 61

Did you watch the video? they had movement and combat, it wasn't static landscapes at all.

At least make critical comments after you watch it.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I'm so tired of videos like these.  Until you can show off actual gameplay like combat, don't show anything.  It's really easy to put together some nice-looking -- and static -- landscape shots.  I'm sure everyone else will get all wet over this video, but I just don't get why they fall for the same traps every time.  And no, a few crappy archery animations doesn't count.

If I could thumbs down this ignorant paragraph, I would.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    The combat looks pretty bland.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Feels like DAoC as I watch. I've had half an eye on Pathfinder for a while. Seems to at least be taking shape.

Joined - July 2004

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

Heeccckkk yes. Looking forward to this and will jump in as early as I can.

This'll be my last shot at MMOs - NO pressure `Squad ;)

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    Wow, this looked terrible.  Minus the iconic look of the creatures it just seems like a totally 100% generic MMO rpg made with unity...  Gah, they should have created something better with the Pathfinder brand.  This game will go nowhere fast.  Such a shame.
    I like to complain about games.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Whatever the game turns out to be, I just hope it's a real RPG! No handholding, no themes, just adventure and exploration. No to mass appeal and accessible. Yes to immersion and depth
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    Originally posted by Ridrith
    Wow, this looked terrible.  Minus the iconic look of the creatures it just seems like a totally 100% generic MMO rpg made with unity...  Gah, they should have created something better with the Pathfinder brand.  This game will go nowhere fast.  Such a shame.

Keep in mind that the game is two years away from seeing the light of day. I like the look they are aiming for.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by asmkm22

True.

• tiagotbp190tiagotbp190 Member Posts: 28

Looks terrible, the animations and moviment.

The good point is the art of scenario, that looks great, but the gameplay is the most important in a mmo, and with that animations and moviment we will get bored after played 1 hour.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I think I will stick with the adventure card game and probably pass on this.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Ridrith

Seriously? I thought it looked anything but generic.

MMOs of the last 9 years of so have been super high fantasy disneylands. This looks realistic in art, which I haven't seen since DAoC except maybe in Age of Conan.

Not that animations are going to be the strong point of a kickstarted MMO anyway. People who like good MMOs with solid features will play this, and those that want flash and boom will keep paying for WoW clones then be upset when they quit a month later.

• TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I get the sense that this video is their small celebration. They finally got the system in place to handle making a small city and couple spawn points. Just enough to host some half ready fights. This video would about the equivalent to writing your first Hello World program and is something to be proud of! Congrats Goblin, let see how well you polish and hopefully make characters look better. :P
  • ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116

Wow.. that looks bad, or is this from 2001?  I mean, the movement is like skating on ice, the clothes to stiff, and the cities looks like a 10year could mold it together if u gave him some palmes and walls...

Iam sure ppl are hardworking on that game, but seriously if u want my money, my attention and time spend in it, u should connect to the real world and what the standards are these days

• PeenenvyPeenenvy Member Posts: 13

People judging the game when its not even in alpha. Its just showing you a work in progress. 

If you think extreme graphics and poor animation is a downside. You are limiting yourself of good games that are being self funded and not the mainstream corporation shit they keep pumping out. I think MMOs are getting better, but if you are waiting for mainstream companies you're missing out on awesome ideas and new genre of MMOs to come.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Good luck to those who are waiting for this but not for me. These games just remind me of Darkfall and Mortal Online. Waiting for ArcheAge, Everquest Next and Black Deserts.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

To the founders and developers...I aplaude you.You are blazing your own path and making nice progress.Thanks for the treat.

The industry needs more like you..

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Zajjar

Wow.. that looks bad, or is this from 2001?  I mean, the movement is like skating on ice, the clothes to stiff, and the cities looks like a 10year could mold it together if u gave him some palmes and walls...

This is a game made by like 10 people. No one should be expecting Skyrim level graphics from it and unless your 10 year old is some kind of computer prodigy I doubt he could make anything close to this.

Some people are just totally unrealistic about the cost of good graphics and voice acting in games, which is why we get the same old crap regurgitated gameplay over and over, because people who can actually afford to make a game like that are going to target the lowest common denominator and minimize risk as much as possible.

If they deliver the game play they're promising I can easily live with subpar graphics.

Besides, these graphics don't look that bad. Sure, it's more LOTRO-ish then "next gen!" but LOTRO is still a nice looking game.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Looks really interesting so far! Go PFO team!

I think a lot of people are forgetting this is a "work in progress" video... which is what was clearly stated at the beginning of the video. Would you rather be shown nothing at all and wait years until full polish?

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by shohen

Did you watch the video? they had movement and combat, it wasn't static landscapes at all.

At least make critical comments after you watch it.

Yes, I did.  And 90% of the video was landscape views.  There were a couple of "fight" scenes, I think two of which were just some archer attacking something (?  it wasn't really clear) and another with what must have been a killing blow (not that you could tell) because an ogre did a death animation.  That's it, aside from a few instances of a character running around for several seconds at a time (and an incredibly stiff cape sort of sticking out from behind).

So yeah, they had movement.  But even they seem to know it's in bad enough shape not to draw much attention to it.

You make me like charity

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

You realize this game is not scheduled to fully release for *3 years*,  right? I'm sure they will show the combat and skill systems when they have been finalized and implemented properly. They are taking their time developing the game which is a good thing.

• TorzonborzTorzonborz Member UncommonPosts: 6
    combat with auto target ? became obsolete with a word a little bit already thanks but not.

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115
    combat looks really boring. Looks like a 10 years old game