Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Update 2.5 "Songs of Dreams" Released

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

RIFT update 2.5 "Songs of Dreams" is now live. Song of Dreams adds a new underwater saga for players to tackle, along with a new level 60 dungeon, Chronicle, or Sliver each week on the run up to the game's annual Fae Yule event.

The update also brings a new Planar Attunement Nexus, improvements to the game's PvP matchmaking, International Shards, a new Infinity Gate Dimension, and lots more.

Comments

• CymorilCymoril Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Its so good the servers are still down! Ugh...
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Man, this is always hard for me to hear news.  I played this game heavily every day up until about 5 months before the F2P conversion, and for some reason out of the blue i just couldnt bring myself to care anymore.

I might reconsider next expansion when everything resets and i dont have to feel like im playing ultra catchup.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    I can't wait till the day that I actually reach the level requirement to do all this and the item requirement to see all this.

• UNDERDOG88UNDERDOG88 Member Posts: 10
    I haven't read anything about any reset. Link? Very interested in this. Thanks
  • jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Lies

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by UNDERDOG88

I think he means the natural "reset" that expansions tend to bring when they raise the level cap. It is usually easier to get to the pre-expansion endgame once an expansion is released for an MMO and then you are much more in-line with the rest of the players when working towards endgame, albeit not perfectly toe to toe on the starting line but it is easier.

I don't enjoy the endgame mentality but I don't knock it either. I can understand the appeal.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Best to wait another day or two before checking out 2.5... Loads of server issues and the game is essentially unplayable due to server stability right now. As of 11pm eastern, they have stopped posting hourly updates and changed to posting 1.5 hour updates.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by DeanGrey

I think he means the natural "reset" that expansions tend to bring when they raise the level cap. It is usually easier to get to the pre-expansion endgame once an expansion is released for an MMO and then you are much more in-line with the rest of the players when working towards endgame, albeit not perfectly toe to toe on the starting line but it is easier.

I don't enjoy the endgame mentality but I don't knock it either. I can understand the appeal.

Except its a failure by mmo devs by putting gear grinds as content. It lacks actual substance.

It gets worse when people have to rely on grinding dailies or care bear mini game of crafting to get money for repairs for armor damage in a raid. Its a money sink, but really its a time waster.

And it gets worse by having respawns in the raid.

So its a huge waste of time when the actual content is not challenging (in most cases) and the deciet in the rewarding experience is from all the unecessary preperation (and not from wiping, but actual preperation to start raiding by other grinds). Which is wasting a lot of peoples time. 

It exploits their addictive personalities. But my diatribe is how its so pathetic of the devs to take up so much of their players time pretending its a lot of content. I would rather focus only on the challenge. No death timers, no armor repairs, no respawns, and little trash clearnance and most importantly no tedious gear grind.

The devs need to figure out a way to engage players more and reward them better. They are ruining peoples perception of what challenging content is, and how it can be accomplished. All these unnecessary barriers are demotivating and a drain on the player and not just time wise, but mostly if the content is not a real challenge... a mediocre challenge that a simple mistake becomes a bigger hassle to deal with.

I believe there should be a law against this especially if an mmo is teen rated. It exploits a teens addictive personality mixed with terrible devs implementing bad features that are time wasting in an mmo. Gear grinds.

Dont waste your life, or your youth playing gear grinds. Blame the devs for making their content so inaccessible. I would say it is also inaccessible by requiring a group. Maybe make it solo able or playing with a.i./npcs?

The devs of gear grinds deserve to not sleep easy knowing what a curse thet are to video gamers and mmo players especially the younger generation. Mmos should not be teen rated for this reason mostly.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Incomparable
    Originally posted by DeanGrey

Except its a failure by mmo devs by putting gear grinds as content. It lacks actual substance.

It gets worse when people have to rely on grinding dailies or care bear mini game of crafting to get money for repairs for armor damage in a raid. Its a money sink, but really its a time waster.

And it gets worse by having respawns in the raid.

So its a huge waste of time when the actual content is not challenging (in most cases) and the deciet in the rewarding experience is from all the unecessary preperation (and not from wiping, but actual preperation to start raiding by other grinds). Which is wasting a lot of peoples time. 

It exploits their addictive personalities. But my diatribe is how its so pathetic of the devs to take up so much of their players time pretending its a lot of content. I would rather focus only on the challenge. No death timers, no armor repairs, no respawns, and little trash clearnance and most importantly no tedious gear grind.

The devs need to figure out a way to engage players more and reward them better. They are ruining peoples perception of what challenging content is, and how it can be accomplished. All these unnecessary barriers are demotivating and a drain on the player and not just time wise, but mostly if the content is not a real challenge... a mediocre challenge that a simple mistake becomes a bigger hassle to deal with.

I believe there should be a law against this especially if an mmo is teen rated. It exploits a teens addictive personality mixed with terrible devs implementing bad features that are time wasting in an mmo. Gear grinds.

Dont waste your life, or your youth playing gear grinds. Blame the devs for making their content so inaccessible. I would say it is also inaccessible by requiring a group. Maybe make it solo able or playing with a.i./npcs?

The devs of gear grinds deserve to not sleep easy knowing what a curse thet are to video gamers and mmo players especially the younger generation. Mmos should not be teen rated for this reason mostly.

Jesus H Christ this post is riddled with ridiculousness.

You clearly never played Rift.  What game you are referring to is WOW.  Rift has never required daily quests to pay for repairs and raid consumables and blah blah blah.  Rift's raids were also extremely difficult, and were only toned down typically 3-4 months later.  Just as a point of example, 2 months after the release of ID, only 4 guilds had even beaten the last boss in the raid zone, and only 9 had gotten past the 2nd hardest boss in the raid zone. The rest of the guilds were still 2-4 bosses into the raid.

Respawns in raids were really only there to punish people who clearly shouldnt have been there.  If you kept wiping on a boss long enough for the 2 hours to pass for shit to start respawning, that was an indiciation that you shouldnt be in the zone.

RPG's are about progressing characters, historically that meant getting levels or skill point increases, and getting new gear.  Thats a staple of the RPG.  Do i agree with you that things like having high repair costs for deaths to make people put in an extra 5 hours a week doing dailies to pay for that BS is ridiculous? yes. 100%.  But i feel you're taking it too far, suggesting that the sole purpose of crafting is to pay for raids?  Again, you're talking about WOW, and only WOW.  NO other game ive played (and ive played every AAA MMO since 1999 and raided heavily in all them, except LOTRO) doesn't pull that kind of garbage.

Dont "waste your life or your youth".  So, make a solid argument to me that spending 4 hours going into an RvR zone or an open world area and bashing people faces in with your make believe mace and shield is any different than spending 4 hours in a raid zone bashing make believe monsters in the face with your make believe shield and mace?  Entertainment and Leisure time is just that, however someone chooses to spend it is no better than anyone else.  I don't care if that person spends their leisure time knitting carebears that they are going to stack up on a bookshelf.  Who the hell are you to judge?

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche