Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

laptop colling

earth2011earth2011 Member Posts: 131

Hallo to all

I am just wondering if anyone knows how to cool a laptop that has the cpu air vents on the sides and not in the back of the laptop . I bought a cooler and it works on the hard drive but since the air vents for the cpu are on the side i saw very little improvement . its apu a6-4400k and the normal temps are between 60 to 70c

Is there a solution or a way around this ?

thanks for the help

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The cooling pad wouldn't help you much even if the vents were on the bottom.

The best think you can do is make sure it's set on a flat hard surface, and there's clearance between the bottom of your laptop and that surface: not your lap, not on the couch, not on the bed... but on a desk or table top.

Past that, the only other thing you can do is stick it in the refrigerator or balance it in front of the A/C duct or something crazy (any of which are absolutely not recommended).

• earth2011earth2011 Member Posts: 131

well  the cooling pad provides a gap between the surface and the laptop so it might be good for that .

i bought a cooling pad and i will found out if i does anything ....

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196

I assume you mean an A6-4400M? Your temps are probably okay, most laptops will run a little hot . I have a lenovo with an A8 that sits somewhere in the 65C range with a vent on its side. It ran that hot right out of the box.

Is there a particular reason you are looking to cool your temperatures? Is it causing crashes? Are you running at stock voltage and clock speeds?

You could always try undervolting/underclocking to see if that helps.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Originally posted by CowboyHat

I assume you mean an A6-4400M? Your temps are probably okay, most laptops will run a little hot . I have a lenovo with an A8 that sits somewhere in the 65C range with a vent on its side. It ran that hot right out of the box.

Is there a particular reason you are looking to cool your temperatures? Is it causing crashes? Are you running at stock voltage and clock speeds?

You could always try undervolting/underclocking to see if that helps.

ah sorry its A6-3400M it crashes very often when a soft is in use and also from flash  also the sound stops from time to time . i have all of my stuff to another partition just in case anything happens  and a usb with win7 for the install .  what is the  software for undervolting ?

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

How long have u had the laptop? Maybe the thermal paste on the CPU is getting a bit old. Generally it lasts around 1,5-2 years on a gaming laptop before you have problems like framerate dropping to 3-4 like every few minutes in games to manually reduce heat. It's really easy to replace, there's tons of guides on youtube. 

Originally posted by crasset15

How long have u had the laptop? Maybe the thermal paste on the CPU is getting a bit old. Generally it lasts around 1,5-2 years on a gaming laptop before you have problems like framerate dropping to 3-4 like every few minutes in games to manually reduce heat. It's really easy to replace, there's tons of guides on youtube. 

close to two years and its not so easy to do it

my laptop is satellite L755 series 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by earth2011
    well  the cooling pad provides a gap between the surface and the laptop so it might be good for that .i bought a cooling pad and i will found out if i does anything ....

You don't need a $20 cooling pad to give you a gap...

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Laptops are dust magnets and have poor ventilation. With that in mind, try to under the keyboard, and clean the machine out as best you can. Also, the fan will most likely be clogged as well.
    If cleaning and trying to re-apply thermal paste do not work, start looking for something new, can't undo heat damage.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    In an old thread, you said you had an ambient room temperature around 40 C.  If that's still the case, it's going to be tough.  Typical cooling systems are only responsible for keeping down the temperature difference the computer chip and the ambient room temperature.  If the problem is that your room is too hot, then there's nothing that a laptop cooling pad can do about it.
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    In an old thread, you said you had an ambient room temperature around 40 C.  If that's still the case, it's going to be tough.  Typical cooling systems are only responsible for keeping down the temperature difference the computer chip and the ambient room temperature.  If the problem is that your room is too hot, then there's nothing that a laptop cooling pad can do about it.

living in london , a typical temp  during this period is between 5 -15c  , that was in my country during the summer  and there the temp goes off really bad