Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 5 Sci-Fi mmos of all time

strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
So i have been on an sci-fi kick over the last month or so, and I was wondering what everyone thinks the best sci-fi mmos are.

Originally posted by laokoko
"if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Has there even been more than 5 sci-fi mmos ?

AC if you consider it sci-fi ?

EvE

SWG

.....after that I'm drawing a blank.... I guess if you start including the not really an mmo, mmo you have more options.

SWTOR I'd say is one of the best singleplayer /co-op games story wise....but I wouldn't put it as a good mmo.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Anarchy Online,
    Eve Online,
    Star Wars Galaxies,
    Ryzom,
    Vendetta Online,
    and Neocron should have an honorable mention. Yes, that is six.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Anarchy online
    Swotor
    Rf online

I'm sure there are others that I just can't seem to recall. These are the ones I have had the most fun with over the years. I never find sci-fi games to be as fun, not sure why.
  • goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Eve
    Planetside 2
    Planetside

Not played swg, Ao or any of those others
    Swtor definetly don't belong in a top 5

Reckon elite dangerous will deserve to be there though
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I started playing Vendetta online the other day and I find it to pretty fun. I saw you in chat today phaser, i also saw you lost a duel ;)

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    Anarchy Online, Eve Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Ryzom, Vendetta Online, and Neocron should have an honorable mention. Yes, that is six.

The problem is, Anarchy Online, as much as I used to love that game, is really just a fantasy game with a thin veneer of sci-fi draped over it.  It's still got magic, it's just not called magic.  It's still got fantasy mounts, they're just not called mounts.  I'd love a sci-fi game that has nothing even remotely resembling magic, but most games are just reskinned fantasy games.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

I'm one of the few who actually really liked Tabula Rasa

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    SWG - pre cu, CU and even the fucked up NGE version.
  • KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789

SWG

Anarchy Online (can't wait to see what it looks like with better graphics)

Ryzom

Never got into EVE, but many will say this game

Was in Tabula Rasa beta but wasn't impressed

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

First for Earth and Beyond!!

She was not a classic, but she was beloved by all who played her! 

Rest in peace my friend!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    Anarchy Online, Eve Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Ryzom, Vendetta Online, and Neocron should have an honorable mention. Yes, that is six.

yesss, someone said neocron! 

+1 :>

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Has there even been more than 5 sci-fi mmos ?AC if you consider it sci-fi ?EvESWG.....after that I'm drawing a blank.... I guess if you start including the not really an mmo, mmo you have more options.SWTOR I'd say is one of the best singleplayer /co-op games story wise....but I wouldn't put it as a good mmo.
    I was kind of thinking along the same lines. You did forget Star Trek: Online :)

I have had some fun in their universe.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Cephus404

The problem is, Anarchy Online, as much as I used to love that game, is really just a fantasy game with a thin veneer of sci-fi draped over it.  It's still got magic, it's just not called magic.  It's still got fantasy mounts, they're just not called mounts.  I'd love a sci-fi game that has nothing even remotely resembling magic, but most games are just reskinned fantasy games.

Interesting, I gave AO a short trial many years ago and this is exactly how I perceived it, just a fantasy game with Sci-Fi loosely wrapped around it. 

So I went back to playing some fantasy MMO.

The list isn't very long, but hopefully we'll see some new titles in the next few years that sound interesting.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

• Beyond Protocol
    • Earth and Beyond
    • Project Entropia/Entropia Universe
    • Neocron
    • Neocron 2
    • Dark Orbit
    • Perpetuum
    • Black Prophecy
    • Anarchy Online
    • EVE Online
    • Vendetta Online
    • Star Wars Galaxies
    • Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures
    • SWTOR
    • Ryzom
    • Taikodom
    • Ace Online
    • Battlestar Galactica online
    • Star Conflict

There are a lot of minor ones that don't/didn't get much notice like Celetania, OGame, Astro Wars, etc. I also avoided the post apocalyptic as that *could* fall under sci-fi but they're often viewed as their own category. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Only two I enjoyed were SWG and Tabula Rasa, rest of the Sci-Fi mmo's failed on major components for my personal tastes.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

• Beyond Protocol
    • Earth and Beyond
    • Neocron
    • Neocron 2
    • Dark Orbit
    • Perpetuum
    • Black Prophecy
    • Anarchy Online
    • EVE Online
    • Vendetta Online
    • Star Wars Galaxies
    • SWTOR
    • Ryzom
    • Taikodom
    • Ace Online
    • Star Conflict

There are a lot of minor ones that don't/didn't get much notice like Celetania, OGame, Astro Wars, etc. I also avoided the post apocalyptic as that *could* fall under sci-fi but they're often viewed as their own category. 

Interestingly enough though you included some more obscure titles such as BGO, you and most everyone on this thread have not included Star Trek Online in their lists.   Guess no one see's that as a serious Sci-Fi MMO.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

• Beyond Protocol
    • Earth and Beyond
    • Neocron
    • Neocron 2
    • Dark Orbit
    • Perpetuum
    • Black Prophecy
    • Anarchy Online
    • EVE Online
    • Vendetta Online
    • Star Wars Galaxies
    • SWTOR
    • Ryzom
    • Taikodom
    • Ace Online
    • Star Conflict

It's a conspiracy ! You missed the main ones out.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity , Phantasy Star Universe , Phantasy Star Portable 2 , Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 , Phanatsy Star Episode 1 and 2 , Phantasy Star Online , SWTOR , Phantasy Star Zero.

That's my list in the order of favourite to least favourite and before you ask yes they are/where all MMO's.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149

NEOCRON is the top of the list. Anyone who disagrees hasn't played it. WAY ahead of its time (even today), featuring systems people constantly cry out for. A true MMORPG  with very good, non tab-targetting combat and a very complex faction/PvP/crafting system. 

After that, early SW:G, EVE (not a fan but it really is a complex and rewarding game if you have the time to put in), Anarchy Online (first SciFi MMO I remember playing), and finally, Planetside. 

Originally posted by Kyleran

• Beyond Protocol
    • Earth and Beyond
    • Neocron
    • Neocron 2
    • Dark Orbit
    • Perpetuum
    • Black Prophecy
    • Anarchy Online
    • EVE Online
    • Vendetta Online
    • Star Wars Galaxies
    • SWTOR
    • Ryzom
    • Taikodom
    • Ace Online
    • Star Conflict

Interestingly enough though you included some more obscure titles such as BGO, you and most everyone on this thread have not included Star Trek Online in their lists.   Guess no one see's that as a serious Sci-Fi MMO.  image

LOL! Those are from a doc I keep handy on my desktop because I reference them now and then. This may seem terrible, but there was never anything really notable about that title except the IP, which is why I had removed it a while back. I tend to forget it's missing when looking back at the list for things like this thread. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Auto Assult and Defiance.  I have a thing for running peeps over.  Also Fallen Earth.  Gee i guess I have apocalypse fetish as well =)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Only two I ever really liked were Ryzom and AO, but thats because they had more fo a fantasy feel than a sci-fi......ALot of games that people are listing really didnt feel like sci-fi to me either.....Also games like star trek and star wars jsut didnt capture the feel of the two shows....STO was plain awful really...

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Strictly speaking starwars is more like a fantasy than true sci-fi.
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Auto Assult and Defiance.  I have a thing for running peeps over.  Also Fallen Earth.  Gee i guess I have apocalypse fetish as well =)

I normally would have included titles like those, as I consider post-apoc a sci-fi theme or sub-genre, but wasn't ready to deal with that debate with this crowd. ;) 

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201
    RF ONLINE!!!!!!!!

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Kyleran

• Beyond Protocol
    • Earth and Beyond
    • Neocron
    • Neocron 2
    • Dark Orbit
    • Perpetuum
    • Black Prophecy
    • Anarchy Online
    • EVE Online
    • Vendetta Online
    • Star Wars Galaxies
    • SWTOR
    • Ryzom
    • Taikodom
    • Ace Online
    • Star Conflict

I laughed when someone else pointed out I missed it....I've even played it ( twice) and still left it off :)