Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overall population after f2p

Comments

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by didjerama

Saddest thing is there are still people out there (here) blaming players and community.

No the saddest thing is watching people 2 years later STILL going on and on in multiple threads saying I told you so! I told you so!!

you have the choice to play the game, that you love, but you chose to read posts, that you hate?

the wisdom is strong in this one

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by skyline385

Saddest thing is there are still people out there (here) blaming players and community.

No the saddest thing is watching people 2 years later STILL going on and on in multiple threads saying I told you so! I told you so!!

Bittereness mixed with disspointment.

Your forum profile says you are 33 years old. Do you honestly feel no shame in name-calling everyone on the forums and raging over and over in multiple threads over a damned video game? Why are you so bitter over a game? You didn't like it, fine. Let it go. Why all this hate for people who have done nothing to you?

2 years ago.....and still bitter enough to keep 3..4 threads going with over 100 posts in how long ?

I was dissapointed with the game and quit after 2 months. Now I look back at what I enjoyed about the game and watch waiting to see if it ever becomes something Id enjoy again.  Your meathod of dealing with it doesnèt seem very.....healthy.

Again, same dribble. Its FANBOIS who STILL claim everything is rainbows and unicorns.

They even trolled the "will it ever recover" thread enough to have their wish and get it closed.

Now only if moderators would do a proper job (or anything in ballpark of even decent) maybe we could even have a discussion.

But as long as fanbois troll every thread theres no more to say: we told you so then and nothing is changed even now and game is still failing in keeping players (huge drop off since F2P)

I checked EU server status of serevrs again yesterday at 22,30 cet - ALL standard.

http://www.torstatus.net/the-red-eclipse/history/7d#!/the-red-eclipse/trends/60d

You can notice stagnation in last 60d, even if summer is over, they run crapton of promotions and major content patch landed very recently.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Your forum profile says you are 33 years old. Do you honestly feel no shame in name-calling everyone on the forums and raging over and over in multiple threads over a damned video game? Why are you so bitter over a game? You didn't like it, fine. Let it go. Why all this hate for people who have done nothing to you?

2 years ago.....and still bitter enough to keep 3..4 threads going with over 100 posts in how long ?

I was dissapointed with the game and quit after 2 months. Now I look back at what I enjoyed about the game and watch waiting to see if it ever becomes something Id enjoy again.  Your meathod of dealing with it doesnèt seem very.....healthy.

Again, same dribble. Its FANBOIS who STILL claim everything is rainbows and unicorns.

They even trolled the "will it ever recover" thread enough to have their wish and get it closed.

Now only if moderators would do a proper job (or anything in ballpark of even decent) maybe we could even have a discussion.

But as long as fanbois troll every thread theres no more to say: we told you so then and nothing is changed even now and game is still failing in keeping players (huge drop off since F2P)

I checked EU server status of serevrs again yesterday at 22,30 cet - ALL standard.

http://www.torstatus.net/the-red-eclipse/history/7d#!/the-red-eclipse/trends/60d

You can notice stagnation in last 60d, even if summer is over, they run crapton of promotions and major content patch landed very recently.

Wow! I have been bashing SW:TOR quite a bit, but this is hilarious.

So you wait till 22:30 CET (when People start logging off again) to check server status and say servers are only STANDARD?

If you checked around 22:00 CET or so, then you would have seen at least 4 servers at HEAVY status.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Can't believe this thread is still going. Leave it guys, let it go please.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by JudgeUK
    Can't believe this thread is still going. Leave it guys, let it go please.

This thread, another thread. It's the same guy in all of them saying the same things. What does it matter which one is getting replied to ?

• MrJurgensMrJurgens Member Posts: 47
    Does it matter anymore? This game failed. The apologists were wrong (I told you so :D). If this game succeeded EAware would have never announced SWTOR would go F2P in less than a year. I quit the game like 4 weeks ago. It's better to just leave than support this cash grab MORPG (there's nothing "Massively" about it).
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    ok..the same 2 people in every thread.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

My experience is that, as of a few months ago, the overall population is still very high at lower levels, but thins out by around level 40.  Also, due to the F2P restrictions, the free players don't really contribute very much to the subscribers gameplay because of the limitations on how many flashpoints and things they can run each week.

It's just important not to log in and assume that because Tython has 160 people in it, that the game is thriving.  I'm sure it's doing well enough, financially, but it didn't feel very improved when I resubscribed for a month.

You make me like charity

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

Most normal sub gamers think of the F2P as party fillers. I personally wouldn't want to be anywhere near a F2P unless and only if I'm doing instanced content.

Otherwise, I'll continue knocking out my quests, you knock out yours and never the twane shall meet. :)

But, if you wanna instance with me, where it's pretty random who you'll party with, sure, I'll let you fill a slot in my instanced party. My in-game party, oh hell no.

Originally posted by JeroKane

Wow! I have been bashing SW:TOR quite a bit, but this is hilarious.

So you wait till 22:30 CET (when People start logging off again) to check server status and say servers are only STANDARD?

If you checked around 22:00 CET or so, then you would have seen at least 4 servers at HEAVY status.

Uh-huh

ANd if i checked at 21,30 i might have seen at lest 5 servers full!

Its not my job to check server status. Do you know why i checked server status? Because my character got stuck in combat (again) and i had to alt+f4 the game to fix it.

And, FYI, 22,30 is STILL very much prime time, thats 21,30 UK.

Originally posted by Psion33

Most normal sub gamers think of the F2P as party fillers. I personally wouldn't want to be anywhere near a F2P unless and only if I'm doing instanced content.

Otherwise, I'll continue knocking out my quests, you knock out yours and never the twane shall meet. :)

But, if you wanna instance with me, where it's pretty random who you'll party with, sure, I'll let you fill a slot in my instanced party. My in-game party, oh hell no.

If you are on Red Eclipse send me PM with your character name so i can ignore you, you sure aint filling up my group.

And people say F2Pers are obnoxious, lol, from every game that has gone F2P entitled subscribers has proven yet again that they can easily beat any F2P obnoxiousnes....and then some

What is more funny is that they dont realize they wouldnt have a game to play any more without them AND waiting times for everything would take forever (its not like now is ideal)

So if you subscribers are so great and precious....why couldnt you keep game afloat so it had to go F2P?

• MambaliciousMambalicious Member Posts: 14
    It is but not the full content.
  • RexGarvinRexGarvin Member Posts: 28
    SWTOR is not free to play.  Their are so many restrictions that FTP actually hurts game play.  FTP is just another way SWTOR could squeez a little more money out of StarWars fans!! 
  • TalmagdonTalmagdon Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by RexGarvin
    SWTOR is not free to play.  Their are so many restrictions that FTP actually hurts game play.  FTP is just another way SWTOR could squeez a little more money out of StarWars fans!! 

SWTOR is not a f2p game ... it was designed and developed on a subscriber model. They've been forced to go f2p in an effort to boost numbers, yes, but I think you've missed the point.

99% of the f2p/preferred restrictions can be bypassed in the game. There are cartel market (cash shop) items that people can buy and then put up for sale in-game to all players whether f2p, preferred or subscriber. This means that the item mall is being massively subsidised by subscribers who can either use complementary cartel coins (item mall currency) or buy cartel coins to get items and unlocks that they can sell to other players for expedited credits (in-game currency).

Now, I mentioned earlier that SWTOR was developed on a subscriber model. That means that they need to make up for the cash lost by admitting a f2p player. Preferred players are either former subs or f2ps who put some money into the game, so they don't count as much, but the f2ps need complete subsidisation. EAware has done this through the item mall in a way that bleeds money from a sub-section of subscribers (not Star Wars fans, because neither is a subset of the other) - cartel packs. Put simply, a cartel pack is like a booster set for Magic the Gathering or any other popular TCG ... a lot of people will be sensible and either avoid them or buy one or two at a time, but the target consumer will spend hundreds of dollars at a time. All this for items that are purely appearance driven (mounts, armour and weapon shells, special colour crystals, etc) and therefore vanity purchases.

That said, I don't think f2p is restrictive. Most of the best raiders in my guild were f2p and stayed that way till they hit level 50 and only went sub when they decided that their time investment in the game justified paying the monthly subscription. None of them had to pay for anything more than an internet connection to enjoy the game.

tl;dr - f2p don't pay a thing and can easily enjoy all content (except player to player trade), don't say the game is sqeezing cash out of you unless you pay hundreds of dollars a month on cartel packs (vanity items that are completely your fault for over-indulging in).

Some people think trading in the shotgun for the BFG2000 makes the game easier. It just allows you to enter a higher difficulty level.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    i do balieve the free to play saved this game if i do remember correctly it was about to go offline 
    Originally posted by Tatercake
    i do balieve the free to play saved this game if i do remember correctly it was about to go offline 

i doubt that, EA are masters of market strategy

i think they had plans for all viable scenarios, but they were surprised with having to pull the

emergency brakes so soon

the number of servers at launch, shows that they were prepared for a success

but the success didnt last longer, than the hype

Originally posted by simplius

i think they had plans for all viable scenarios, but they were surprised with having to pull the

emergency brakes so soon

They werent prepared for what they had to do, it shows because they had no way whatsoever to do server character transfers which meant no server merges in time which meant more lost people because of hundreds of desolated servers, and they stopped pretty much all content production to push F2P and releasing what was pretty much done at launch long after (Makeb and few later updates were supposed to come before end of 2012)

Its most likely they had more servers ready if need arises but no means whatsoever to lower the number of servers and going F2P. In the end they said before launch that they had no plans whatsoever to go F2P and that F2P model is suited for failed games, while successful ones are P2P.

As an example of prepared theres Trion with Rift, when the time came they made free servers transfers available so people could painfully transfer from dead servers and closing of dead servers. Trion is example of best post launch managing of the game ive seen, still, unfortunately the type of game they made doesnt warrant more subs than they had, SWTOR is same type of game but gets more players because of IP. If someone really wanted to know how many long term subs SWTOR would have they just need to look at RIft and add 20-30% to that. It became true unfortunately.

I cant really say i hate it when im right ;P but i hate that SWTOR underperformed so much as that probably means when im done with class stories im done with SWTOR, for a MMO its best in the industry in that departement (story+cutscenes+coop play) so yah, i dont really like they didnt make it because of other stuff (namely endgame and whole WoW clone thingy)

And i bet you any major MMO will have solid infrastructure for painful F2P conversion (Namely Wildstar and TESO) and Gaffney said it himslef "its really logical for game to launch as P2P and then when population drops go F2P". But thats the point - if population doesnt drop but grows theres no reason to go F2P. It kinda sheds light on expectations for Wildstar though ;P

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

At worst, it would have been the same as SWG, where it just sort of coasts along without any real development until the license runs out or another SW MMO is released.

You make me like charity

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

They ( devs/publishers ) should just top making SW MMOs since they clearly aren't able to make any good ones.

The only good one ( SWG ) was shut down after they screwed their customers over and screwed up the game.

There will never be a good SW MMO.

Let it rest in peace.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by asmkm22

At worst, it would have been the same as SWG, where it just sort of coasts along without any real development until the license runs out or another SW MMO is released.

SWG had quite a bit of development done to it, and even had features added in 2011 that SWTOR can only dream of.

The other bonus with SWG was that it was self catering, the crafting and harvesting was still keeping me busy in 2011, and was messing around with it from 2003 and still did not have enough of it. With the free transfers in April 2011 it made it more interesting as was able to transfer from server to server gathering the best resources.  I still did not get involved fully with the chronicles system or Beast master, there was not enough time to. With SWG the game was only limited by your own imagination, there was so much you could do, and very little time to do it all

With SWTOR without added content the game would dry up a lot faster, there are not many game mechanics to keep yourself interested long term

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

The only good one ( SWG ) was shut down after they screwed their customers over and screwed up the game.

Let it rest in peace.

^ this :(

where is swg 2 disney

emergency brakes so soon

They werent prepared for what they had to do, it shows because they had no way whatsoever to do server character transfers which meant no server merges in time which meant more lost people because of hundreds of desolated servers, and they stopped pretty much all content production to push F2P and releasing what was pretty much done at launch long after (Makeb and few later updates were supposed to come before end of 2012)

Its most likely they had more servers ready if need arises but no means whatsoever to lower the number of servers and going F2P. In the end they said before launch that they had no plans whatsoever to go F2P and that F2P model is suited for failed games, while successful ones are P2P.

As an example of prepared theres Trion with Rift, when the time came they made free servers transfers available so people could painfully transfer from dead servers and closing of dead servers. Trion is example of best post launch managing of the game ive seen, still, unfortunately the type of game they made doesnt warrant more subs than they had, SWTOR is same type of game but gets more players because of IP. If someone really wanted to know how many long term subs SWTOR would have they just need to look at RIft and add 20-30% to that. It became true unfortunately.

I cant really say i hate it when im right ;P but i hate that SWTOR underperformed so much as that probably means when im done with class stories im done with SWTOR, for a MMO its best in the industry in that departement (story+cutscenes+coop play) so yah, i dont really like they didnt make it because of other stuff (namely endgame and whole WoW clone thingy)

And i bet you any major MMO will have solid infrastructure for painful F2P conversion (Namely Wildstar and TESO) and Gaffney said it himslef "its really logical for game to launch as P2P and then when population drops go F2P". But thats the point - if population doesnt drop but grows theres no reason to go F2P. It kinda sheds light on expectations for Wildstar though ;P

i had high hopes for wildstar, until i heard it is raid focused , and action combat

theyll prolly sell 800k boxes, and end up with 3-400 k players

the server transfers? tech trouble, either the engine, or missing programmers

look at the plans they had for ilum, and how that turned out

yes , the P2P/ B2P discussion before launch shows , that some members on their own team

were worried

and by their own definition, swtor is a failed game

Originally posted by DocBrody

Let it rest in peace.

where is swg 2 disney

if any IP can carry two mmos, its star wars

and if they make them right, they wont be competing either

a big casual themepark, and a smaller hardcore sandbox, so the devs can cater to one Group, without upsetting the others

but the suits seem to think, that star wars beer would be  competing with star wars books

• TalmagdonTalmagdon Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Let it rest in peace.

where is swg 2 disney

if any IP can carry two mmos, its star wars

and if they make them right, they wont be competing either

a big casual themepark, and a smaller hardcore sandbox, so the devs can cater to one Group, without upsetting the others

but the suits seem to think, that star wars beer would be  competing with star wars books

It's not the suits, exactly. It's EA. Disney gave EA exclusive Star Wars game dev rights .... and EA is going to do whatever they can to maintain ownership of those rights.

I don't see SWG ever coming back because it was developed by SOE. Given that both EA and Sony execs believe that their companies should own the world and have absolute monopoly of the market, there is no way they could get to a place where they will deal on an SWG.

I don't see EA releasing a second SW MMO, because 1) SWTOR didn't get the 7 billion subscribers EA was hoping for, 2) More money to be spent and 3) they are too afraid of cannibalising the consumer base of SWTOR to give gamers a choice.

Some people think trading in the shotgun for the BFG2000 makes the game easier. It just allows you to enter a higher difficulty level.

EA are the very definition suits

i agree, that swg wont be coming back in the stores

EA will just keep the IP as long , as the contract lets them

warhammer mk 2..let see , how many SW players theres left in 6 years