Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help a newbie!

erasmotherasmoth Member UncommonPosts: 40
Ok so I just started playing as a Dwarf Champion (will I regret this later on?) and have reached level 12 almost 13. I am finding myself at a total loss in this game, as it is constantly bombarding me to visit the LOTRO store, but not really providing any worthwhile information. Help a newbie, its good for karma :P

My first (technically second) question is combat. I notice I can queue my abilities up as I am performing the current one, which seems a little laggy, but if I am spamming my abilities does it interrupt my autoattack or is it done during the animations?

Now I notice that this double xp thing is going on and really messing up my leveling. I get 2 quests done in an area and suddenly everything is light blue :(. Should I move onto other areas or should I do every quest for the items and rep? If I skip quests will it bite me later on?
I have so many questions!
When should I start looking for dungeon groups? Where are the dungeons? IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET A MAP I CAN ACTUALLY READ?

Since it is so many questions... I will thank you in advance for even considering answering them!

Comments

• erasmotherasmoth Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I am kinda new to these forums and haven't made a post this long, but I can't seem to make line spaces appear in the thread. Sorry
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Champion is not what I play but it's a fine warrior type class. Don't worry about your auto attack, it is weaker than your special abilities so just hit them whenever you can and learn a good rotation to use (from my limited memories playing a champ long ago they have to build up rage to unlock their really good attacks)

The double xp is kind of a pain if you want to do all the quests but no it won't hurt you to skip some.. Except make sure you doo all your "book" quests, both because the story and lore you get from them is good and because they tend to give very good rewards.

I don't totally understand your map question. LOTRO requires you to explore the area before being able to see a map of it but I presume you've noticed that already? You can always find maps of the areas online if you are really lost. 

• erasmotherasmoth Member UncommonPosts: 40
    That was very helpful, thank you.  O i have to explore the entire area before I get to look at it? That seems silly, since I will already know where everything is thus defeating the purpose of the map lol. Also how are you seperating out your paragraphs? In the preview area mine are spaced, but when I post its a giant ball,
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by erasmoth
    That was very helpful, thank you.  O i have to explore the entire area before I get to look at it? That seems silly, since I will already know where everything is thus defeating the purpose of the map lol. Also how are you seperating out your paragraphs? In the preview area mine are spaced, but when I post its a giant ball,

Well, think of it not so much as a "map" but what your character knows about the area. When you first go to an area you don't know where anything is until you explore and find the things. I like the system as it is more immersive than just seeing a full map of a place my character has never been to before.  Pretty easy and quick to fill put most of the map just by doing some quests in the area though.

As for paragraphs, I just press enter. Can't help you with that, sorry...

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I am kinda new to these forums and haven't made a post this long, but I can't seem to make line spaces appear in the thread. Sorry

Seems to be the issue with some older browsers, i had the same issue with my ipad and ios6.

cant help you much there as advise you to use another or updated browser.

back on topic, i just love the lore and epic quests and other main questlines, they have deep and epic stories to tell,  and npc converstions with text above their heads work rather well too for storytelling, just enjoy them.

as for combat, there will be a major revamp comming up on November 18th, till that time just play relaxed try to group as much as possible and just enjoy the scenery and the beaty of the world.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540
    Ok so I just started playing as a Dwarf Champion (will I regret this later on?)
    Well...different opinions. If you prefer "support tank" role - you may not. If you think you could tank - yes, you will regret.
    and have reached level 12 almost 13. I am finding myself at a total loss in this game, as it is constantly bombarding me to visit the LOTRO store, but not really providing any worthwhile information.
    Game is bombarding, it's natural:they are trying to force you into buying stuff for real life cash...
    Now I notice that this double xp thing is going on and really messing up my leveling. I get 2 quests done in an area and suddenly everything is light blue :(. Should I move onto other areas or should I do every quest for the items and rep?
    My advice:stay in the land for deed items. Example: if you skip Shire and later use Mathoms to get Kindred with Mathom society, you will lose some Gift Mathoms (bound to you). Maybe do all quests untill they give you xp. After all, many quests in starter territories help in doing deeds.
    If I skip quests will it bite me later on?
    Nope. Just - no xp from grey quest.
    When should I start looking for dungeon groups? Where are the dungeons? IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET A MAP I CAN ACTUALLY READ?
    Technically you could look since level 20 and higher (Barrows near Bree). Dungeons - we call them "Instances" are all around the map. Just locate "Instance finder" and you will see the list. Positive thing is that you may be whenever you want - if you join instance, you will be teleported here and after you elave instance - you will be back where you were. there is LFF chat (looking for fellowship), you may ask there. Should you be on Withywindle server - feel free to ask me, NaktiesKarys (lvl.85 Champion) . Hope it helps.