Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: Latest Roundtable Discusses Fast Travel

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The latest developer roundtable video for EverQuest Next features members of the EQN development team discussing one of the hot topics of the moment: fast travel.

Comments

• HalldorHalldor Member UncommonPosts: 10

So, we have a mixture between a fast travel between villages (like Dragon's Prophet and company) and a full exploration game?

It doesn't sounds bad, but I hope this doesn't break the exploration component.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    So it's just like GW2 huh?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully
    So it's just like GW2 huh?

No. It's more like LOTRO.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I like mounts so glad they didn't really do anything radical with fast travel. Like he said, if ain't broken why fix it?

Smile

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213

tl;dw

"We want the players to experience epic journeys and to feel the epic scale of the world. But people bitched so we're giving everyone fast travel everywhere."

Why do they bother putting up these roundtable polls? They've ignored the results of the majority of them.

Q:  Should all races have access to play all classes?

Leading poll result: I'd like to see certain races restricted to certain classes based on lore

Their response: We don't feel that restricting class from races is good so we're just gonna go ahead and let you roll up that Ogre Wizard and a Halfling Shadowknight.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by ishist
    tl;dw"We want the players to experience epic journeys and to feel the epic scale of the world. But people bitched so we're giving everyone fast travel everywhere." Why do they bother putting up these roundtable polls? They've ignored the results of the majority of them.Q:  Should all races have access to play all classes?Leading poll result: I'd like to see certain races restricted to certain classes based on loreTheir response: We don't feel that restricting class from races is good so we're just gonna go ahead and let you roll up that Ogre Wizard and a Halfling Shadowknight.

Actually they were going to have restricted races, the polls agreed with them but the discussions pointed out exactly why restricted races were not going to fit their game design philosophy. You pointed out exactly what these are for, they changed racial restrictions already because of it.

• Role_playerRole_player Member Posts: 33
    I understood that you have to discover the "new" place/town/castle/cave/region first before you are able to travel-FAST there! So main thing is exploration and then accessibility to everybody with no lot of time to play I though...not bad
  • DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    I kinda wonder what he meant about it not being instantaneous travel.  Does that mean a griffon system, rails or some such that you passively ride on.  I hope that isn't the case.  I find those very boring.  I personally prefer the style of ride your horse or walk unless a wizard or druid wants to port you.  But, I'd rather take instant teleportation nodes before clicking on a griffon and walking away from my computer for 5 minutes.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Originally posted by Deadlyne
    I kinda wonder what he meant about it not being instantaneous travel.  Does that mean a griffon system, rails or some such that you passively ride on.  I hope that isn't the case.  I find those very boring.  I personally prefer the style of ride your horse or walk unless a wizard or druid wants to port you.  But, I'd rather take instant teleportation nodes before clicking on a griffon and walking away from my computer for 5 minutes.

Agreed. Fast travel system in EQ2 is a lot like what you described. Hopefully that's not the case in EQN.

My main concern is that there would be a small limited amount of fast travel hubs. In EQ2 I think they went a bit crazy with the number of fast travel spots. There were like 5+ per zone in some places.

--------------------------------------------
  • ShadowVlicanShadowVlican Member UncommonPosts: 158

too many fast travel destinations will make the world feel small... i'd rather have very few fast travel destinations plus mounts...

• ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116
    HE speaks like, urll never grp with ur mates if u dont got fast travel, seriously.... these people... once u start the journey toward ur mate in " halas or where ever... urll eventually get there, WE DONT NEED fast travel at low lvl. ITS borring and feels like a themepark
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Sounds like and hope travel is more like Wow then GW2. So many waypoints in GW2... it takes away from the vastness of the world.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by ishist

tl;dw

"We want the players to experience epic journeys and to feel the epic scale of the world. But people bitched so we're giving everyone fast travel everywhere."

Why do they bother putting up these roundtable polls? They've ignored the results of the majority of them.

Q:  Should all races have access to play all classes?

Leading poll result: I'd like to see certain races restricted to certain classes based on lore

Their response: We don't feel that restricting class from races is good so we're just gonna go ahead and let you roll up that Ogre Wizard and a Halfling Shadowknight.

The people demanding fast travel and no race/class restrictions will also be the first ones to leave the game in the first 60 days anyways.

Why not make the game for those that are going to stay around a long time?

They should have called this, EverQuest: NOW. For the Now crowd. Maybe the next rollout will be called that and when you log in, it's just Pong but single player. Can't get anymore easymode now, than that.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

I was thinkng the same thing, this game will flop on its face, if they are going to "please" the mmorpg babies, the company that learns from the past, will truly shine, maybe DAOC2 aka Camelot Unchained, world of darkness, or  even blizzard sees where all these ezmode bullshit mmos are heading and does a coup'de'grace on all the carebear mmos and make a truly rewarding mmo.

• ChaaKChaaK Member Posts: 39
    Good system I think. I like it in LOTRO, and used to enjoy it in WoW back when you had t discover the fly.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

I love how people are whining about how the supposed 'now' crowd are the people asking for no class restrictions and waypoints.  Really?  I think those are good mechanics and I've played almost every MMO under the sun.  I played EQ for two years, WoW for 7, EQ 2 for 4...  Let's not even get started on a majority of the other games.  Fast travel and having no class restrictions are good systems to have in place.  Not everybody wants to ride across the vast world every time they want to meet up with a friend.  You're not required to use the waypoints.  If you feel that it's going to take away from your experience don't use them.  Simple as that.  Same with the class/races.  If you don't think that a gnome for example should be a warrior, don't ever make one.

Neckbeardia calls to its people.  They're coming out in droves.

I like to complain about games.
    Originally posted by Ridrith

I love how people are whining about how the supposed 'now' crowd are the people asking for no class restrictions and waypoints.  Really?  I think those are good mechanics and I've played almost every MMO under the sun.  I played EQ for two years, WoW for 7, EQ 2 for 4...  Let's not even get started on a majority of the other games.  Fast travel and having no class restrictions are good systems to have in place.  Not everybody wants to ride across the vast world every time they want to meet up with a friend.  You're not required to use the waypoints.  If you feel that it's going to take away from your experience don't use them.  Simple as that.  Same with the class/races.  If you don't think that a gnome for example should be a warrior, don't ever make one.

Neckbeardia calls to its people.  They're coming out in droves.

WE DONT WANT FAST TRAVEL TO COME EASY at ur disposal, it should be there, but not easily required,, earn it first

It's not going to be there easy.  You have to actually explore before you can use the system.  So I still don't see why people are whining.
  • ChaaKChaaK Member Posts: 39

let's simply hope they spaced like in LOTRO for exemple.

If there is one every 500m that would suck.

Originally posted by Ridrith
    It's not going to be there easy.  You have to actually explore before you can use the system.  So I still don't see why people are whining.

'cause they have fear this will come like GW2: You can discover a waypoint, but a couple steps away from it, you can discover another one, and that feels like... "dafuq? Why there is another waypoint here, if a kilometer ago there was ANOTHER one? Is the world so small or what the hell?"

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Deadlyne

They should follow the Vanguard system before the way shrines were put in. You hire a flying/land mount which had a ten min timer but it was fully controllable it was not a passive mount.

Once your ten mins was over you were demounted and floated down to the ground. Flying over open air dungeons will get you demounted now which wasn't the case in the early days.

With the world being so vast you needed a mount early in the game unless you were a bard.

As you can see from the vid 

Despite all of the way points GW2s world never really felt all that small to me, WPs all over the place don't really bother me that much either.  I just don't see how/why they'd bother anybody to begin with.  If you don't want to use the system don't use it...  It's just that easy.  When it comes to the world seeming small, if it's not who cares?  Having more WPs are good because that allows you to find your friends that much faster and easier.  That's what MMOs are about.  Playing with others and enjoying the game with your clan mates and friends.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Zajjar
    HE speaks like, urll never grp with ur mates if u dont got fast travel, seriously.... these people... once u start the journey toward ur mate in " halas or where ever... urll eventually get there, WE DONT NEED fast travel at low lvl. ITS borring and feels like a themepark

You do have to walk it the first time....and when it's implemented nobody forces you to use.  Fee Free to walk to your hearts content. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I'm over EQN. It is going to be a updated version of all the bullshit we have on the market already and what EQ2 is.  They have ignored all community feedback on their pointless round tables and go forward with what "they" think is best.  Which SOE has proven in the past to be completely wrong.

EQN will be a huge let down for anyone hoping to have any sort of semblance to anything Everquest.

I now hate SOE again.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213

Ask most veteran EQ players when EQ started to go wrong and most will likely say either Shadows of Luclin or Planes of Power. That's when EQ1 began its gradual pussification. All of a sudden, all the dangerous zones to travel through were made inconsequential. Why worry about having to cross Kithicor during the night when you could just pop into PoK and instantly port wherever in the world you wanted?

Once you give people the ability to bypass your content it's only a short hop to hubs and rails.

Yes, I realize they claim you have to explore to find the fast travel hubs, but we all know that'll only last a year tops before the whiny little bitches get that requirement removed as well.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams