Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would it take to fix World of Warcraft.

ConsuetudoConsuetudo Member UncommonPosts: 191

We want it to die, or at least for its hegemony to end. Many view it as a sort of plague that has infected the genre, and I am quick to agree with those people. And yet for years I enjoyed WoW, and I have a deep love of the Warcraft core. Why is it I would avoid this game and have a love/hate relationship with it? 

Because to me, only Azeroth and the Outland felt like a virtual world. Those classic zones that explored the world of Warcraft RTS games was vividly amazing to me, and I felt incredibly immersed into those games as a result. 

But as time went on, my feeling of immersion into this world decreased substantially. No longer was this world something celebrated by that proverbial community of geeks whose hobby has been taken from them, but now it's a game portrayed on TV and commercials, made a commodity of and robbed of its splendour. 

Of all the MMORPGs I have shopped for, this is still the best one. For the others just seek to copy it (despite what the original thing WoW might have copied is, etc). I have played private servers, but I cannot get past the crushing feeling that once I get to the end, advancement into new content would be impossible. 

I am not opposed to new content. Indeed, I can hardly enjoy the old content anymore, as I've done it a thousand times and now I'm just walking around in a memorial ghosttown. But that new content should be thoughtful and captivating, and still present the sense that this game is a virtual world. 

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Instead of trying to find a way to "fix" WoW, why not just accept the fact that the game has ran it's course with you and you with it?  Just depart ways and remember the good times.   I have a gut feeling that is what most of us who don't play anymore have done.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Simple .. make a MOBA out of warcraft lore.

Or may be even an online FPS with warcraft lore .. now that will be new.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    A time machine.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    For me, adding progression servers would be a lot of fun.  Let us start at the beginning of PVE and work forward.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Classic Server

TBC Server

WOTLK Server

I started in TBC.  I'd like to experience the level 60, and 70 (stuff I didn't get to) with Blizzard servers.  It's lame to roll through that content because you outlevel it or are a blood DK (just saying!)

On a side note, I'd love to see either full scaling of characters to zones, just like Gw2, or get rid of levels altogether.  The latter would be hard for many people to stomach, but scaling toons to zone levels would be awesome and could open up some amazing open world pvp and just plain fun to play through old content.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Yeah at this point you need to revert the last 2 awful expansions and start over.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Fire Idiotcrawler before he does even more damage to the game.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Why fix WoW at this stage?

Even Blizzard wants it to die... if it wasn't making them so much money still. The engine is so old there is just no saving it (unless you rebuild the thing).

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

It's hard to bottle moments in time.  Innocence.  Meeting the right people at the right time.   The perfect balance of expectation and surprise.

It's not unique to WoW ... I feel terribly nostalgic about my first favourite MMO too and can remember when I felt far more connected to it..

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    A miracle.
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Is it broken?
  • EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200
    If I were Blizzard I would make a World of Warcraft 2 and make it a sandbox MMO..
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Thupli
    Classic ServerTBC ServerWOTLK Server I started in TBC.  I'd like to experience the level 60, and 70 (stuff I didn't get to) with Blizzard servers.  It's lame to roll through that content because you outlevel it or are a blood DK (just saying!) ************** On a side note, I'd love to see either full scaling of characters to zones, just like Gw2, or get rid of levels altogether.  The latter would be hard for many people to stomach, but scaling toons to zone levels would be awesome and could open up some amazing open world pvp and just plain fun to play through old content.

It hasnt been announced yet, but they are planning on bringing back alot of the old content (dungeons, raids) via there characer scaling system. The hard part has been finding a good reward system to encourage players to go back and play the old content.

The ideal is that when you que into one of the older raids your character will simply be scaled back down to the level of the content / raid in question. If it was a level 60 raid then your characters gear, health, ect. will be scaled down to that of a level 60.

They may even take it a step even more an allow you to (sidekick) to that of a lower level to enjoy the older content with friends just leveling up, ect.

It's one of the big features to be announced at blizzcon if the latest cropping of bugs are to be believed. It's something they have mentioned they are working on just they didnt have a good way to encourage / reward people for doing the content.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

you cant fix that which is not broken..

but you can improve things. 

-add downscaling to the level of the zones, give the people a reason to play lower level solo and group content while at max level... there is so much goodness unexplored currently

-add an AA system best combined with the above system

-a graphical update of older zones..

And espescially, make content more challenging. and add some more dynamic things to PvE to make it less predictable

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Consuetudo

We want it to die, or at least for its hegemony to end. Many view it as a sort of plague that has infected the genre, and I am quick to agree with those people. And yet for years I enjoyed WoW, and I have a deep love of the Warcraft core. Why is it I would avoid this game and have a love/hate relationship with it? 

Because to me, only Azeroth and the Outland felt like a virtual world. Those classic zones that explored the world of Warcraft RTS games was vividly amazing to me, and I felt incredibly immersed into those games as a result. 

But as time went on, my feeling of immersion into this world decreased substantially. No longer was this world something celebrated by that proverbial community of geeks whose hobby has been taken from them, but now it's a game portrayed on TV and commercials, made a commodity of and robbed of its splendour. 

Of all the MMORPGs I have shopped for, this is still the best one. For the others just seek to copy it (despite what the original thing WoW might have copied is, etc). I have played private servers, but I cannot get past the crushing feeling that once I get to the end, advancement into new content would be impossible. 

I am not opposed to new content. Indeed, I can hardly enjoy the old content anymore, as I've done it a thousand times and now I'm just walking around in a memorial ghosttown. But that new content should be thoughtful and captivating, and still present the sense that this game is a virtual world. 

Congratulations, you have come to the point where you realize that a certain game does not appeal you anymore and you've outgrown it and think of the good memories 'back then'.

It happens to every mmo player, it means to close that book, think of the memories and move on.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Simple .. make a MOBA out of warcraft lore.

Or may be even an online FPS with warcraft lore .. now that will be new.

Battlefield 2140Warcraft.  I'd hop on that one.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    revert back to Vanilla WoW and pick it up from there.
  • PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

In TBC you had to be attuned to raid karazhan, and the guilds would require you to be in full blue gear! It wasn't that hard to get into raiding, even for someone new to the game.

But now, WoW adopted Gearscore (ilvl), which was a huge mistake, now you see people requireing higher Ilvl than you can get in normal raid just to come to a pug flex.. AND, you have to have the achievement for completing the raid in the first place.. It's at a point where people ask for achievement for completing content that just opened up that same week.. They just ask for achieve for anything without thinking about it... So stupid.

And to add to that, the legendary cloak is ilvl 606, so when they set the ilvl req for a something, they don't think about the people who doesn't have the cloak yet and therefor got way lower ilvl, those people might even be better than those with the cloak, but all that matters to people is the ilvl.

This can't be fixed now, people would rage if you took away their precious ilvl, because how else will you know you are way better than the dude 3 ilvl's below you... sarcasm btw.

But whatever, there's not much to do in WoW anyway, weekly LFR, weekly Flex, and raid with your guild, that's the same content on 3 different difficulties, have fun.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

[mod edit], last i heard WOW is running along nicely. Improvement is always good but as we can see by the amount of  hearthstone threads blizzard are still winning.

Seems like people are mad that anything WOW still holds such sway, move on OP.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Wow died along with Arthus. Who am I kidding it died with Illidan

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Said before;

-More quest mechanics- e.g. Mounted combat for pvp/pve and raids

-reduce side quests. Make areas more dynamic with public quests that move and feel organic to the world. Make questing more about the randomness of environment with public quests changing, or class stories or area epic quests. However, i would not consider new mechanics a side quest in the same negative sense, so lets say a quest mechanic for duels with npcs in a tournament. Its simple enough but different.

- reduce the need to do grinds for gear.

- with reduction of gear grind introduce pet collection, trophies from pve/pvp/raids for house decoration, player houses, long term goals and rewards for guilds in game.

-introduce a mentor system to allow players to go to any area to level. At the same time allow people to only play the main story line without having to grind exp for next area. All auto balances. To get to cap they can help others/pvp or do dungeons that are auto balanced.

-put a lot of mini games in wow. Racing, card games etc, and i wish gambling.

-npc movement with a daily ritual that is real.

- possibly repackage the whole game to not require so many levels, and bring all raids on equal footing all for end game. Unless it conflicts with lore too much.

-allow for players to create pvp characters only for end game pvp. Like gw2. But allow those characters to still collect exp. with auto balancing they can be lvl cap in exp and start their story in game.

-add pvp scenarios in game. Historical to wow. Also allow for players to replay historical duels with their character or that of the wow lore.

-Become b2p without shitty cash shop restrictions.

- add new movement for characters and put a lot of puzzles that makes the game more interesting to explore.

I said a lot that they could have done, too lazy to go through all previous comments.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

WoW is doing to itself the same thing thing WoW did to the classic games before it to be honost. WoW made a casual version of the older games this removed alot of depth of the games before hand made them easier and casual friendly so anyone could play it. Now WoW is doing this to its own game making it so dumbed down and casual friendly a 3 year old could play it and not die once.

To be honost this is a plague to MMO genre and the only way to fix it is alot of fire to burn away the Devs thinking of the easier/dumbed down games = lots of money for them and realy it isnt maybe they sell a bunch of copies at release with shiny graphics and all that but after the first month u loose majority of your player base and bleeds a horrid death from there. If they were to make a game with depth you will see a game last for a long time and retain its player base for longer periods of time.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Nothing, its very good at what it does - the dungeon crawling with your guild / friendscoupled with intuitive leveling.

Are there areas where other games are better - sure pvp and crafting for two.

.......... but I don't believe in "one game to rule them all", we need a variety of games catering to different player types. Although wow would be one of the closest to a one size fits all mmo, probably only daoc and perhaps gw2 that do a better job at catering to both pve and pvp players.
  • DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by PieRad

In TBC you had to be attuned to raid karazhan, and the guilds would require you to be in full blue gear! It wasn't that hard to get into raiding, even for someone new to the game.

But now, WoW adopted Gearscore (ilvl), which was a huge mistake, now you see people requireing higher Ilvl than you can get in normal raid just to come to a pug flex.. AND, you have to have the achievement for completing the raid in the first place.. It's at a point where people ask for achievement for completing content that just opened up that same week.. They just ask for achieve for anything without thinking about it... So stupid.

And to add to that, the legendary cloak is ilvl 606, so when they set the ilvl req for a something, they don't think about the people who doesn't have the cloak yet and therefor got way lower ilvl, those people might even be better than those with the cloak, but all that matters to people is the ilvl.

This can't be fixed now, people would rage if you took away their precious ilvl, because how else will you know you are way better than the dude 3 ilvl's below you... sarcasm btw.

But whatever, there's not much to do in WoW anyway, weekly LFR, weekly Flex, and raid with your guild, that's the same content on 3 different difficulties, have fun.

In Vanilla you had people with partial greens and sub 60 blue raiding, as many pre-Raid BiS items(at least attainable items, not some uber rare world drop) did not require level 60. The hard part in Vanilla was the actual coordination in arranging a 40 man raid and leading one. While it's true especially after nerfs that in some fight people could go on auto pilot it the fights were still "harder" to some extent than current content(especially in non-heroic modes).

Karra was actually loathed by much of the high end raiding crowed as it was seen as UBRS with epics. for the most part it was an extremely easy instance and with many free loot encounters and where the challenge was pretty much only left to the end boss and the option encounters.

That said the item level system was actually created by the community not by Blizzard, sure you can blame Blizzard for setting up an environment where you could gear a char to full epics in a matter of days since epics since WOTLK have a higher range in terms of stats than high level greens to epics in vanilla have the community had to adopt a stupid metric to compensate. But in both cases the community was at fault, people didn't like the fact that in Vanilla you probably cleared MC and still had blues when BWL came out, heck the drops from the early bosses in BWL were worse than some of the drops from the higher end bosses in MC. People wanted shiny, they cried, Blizzard listened and gave you want you want.

In all honesty if WoW would revert back to vanilla when you had to farm for hours a week for reagents, raid for 6 hours, and didn't get rewards every 30 min on the clock like you do know it would go back to the same population size it had in Vanilla. While some people might think it's a good think you should go an play on one of the alternative servers, as far as blizzlike experience goes they are really on the money now. I tried that, got to level 40 something, and then i said frak, now i see how much free time i had 10 years ago....

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

My 'list'.....

1 - Put a muzzle on the 'vocal minority' in trade chat.  Yes, the people that have nothing better to do but troll.... shut them up or punt them.

2 - Offer servers that have an age requirement, such as Age 21 or 25+.  Why?  No, age isn't THE measure of maturity, but it's a good starting point.  Allow me to pay an extra $5/mo for regulated/moderated servers.  I'd gladly do so.  

3 - Offer 'Vanilla', 'BC', WotLK', etc.,.. servers.  

4 - More character customization options.

5 - Player housing

6 - More playable races

7 - A few more combat classes

8 - Better in game 'looking for guild' system with more filters and search criteria.  

9 - Armor dye system

10 - custom weapon enchant system 

11 - Get rid of  reputation grinds via daily GD quests.  (Duck failies)

12 - Free server transfers and faction changes (or... lower the cost to around $5 'ish)

13 - Bring back 'custom' builds... or allow us to 'hybridize' builds.  

14 - Make World of Warcraft feel like there is actually a War between the factions.  Horde and Alliance join forces against a common foe each and every expansion (or so it seems).  Forget that.

15 - Advance the Undead storyline already.

16 - Make a Blood Elf male character model... not the 'fem' character model with facial hair.

17 - Space goat overhaul.

18 - Do something... anything... to bring back open world pvp.

19 - Reminder of item 1: kill, neuter, spay the trade chat trolls. 

20 - Can we kill Suzanne and her gold farmer spam once and for all?  And their friend requests on BattleTag?