Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The requiem of the "DING!!!"

1235»

Comments

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

In part. Might help if you weren't the only responder though, as some input elsewise from my own would certainly be more interesting than me nodding my head at myself, and no insult meant, but you've never really done much more than chide anything that suggests deviating from your standard.

For example, look at the last post you made to someone else. you remark that a particular gameplay element (living breathing world) is not 'required' for an entertaining game. That's about the entire depth of the input. It's not even a complete argument on it's own, as you're also still capable of acknowledging no individual game element is required to make an entertaining game, as there are many puzzle games and titles that are not combat focused which exist holding strong/large user bases.

So it's a fragmented argument at best, a misleading one at worst. And along the way it lacks any justification to the point nor does it actually even address the 'why not make it so' question beyond the remark that "it's expensive" to produce, putting it as you deign to say it ...

"...resources may not be spent on features I value more..."

It's still also the case that what you value of such features, and what you really mean (as there are many forms combat can take, same as with many other game features) are not particularly cohesive, as we never see them explained even when you make a thread dedicated to such. It's consistently just vague jabs with a contrarian opinion, and nowhere to really go as far as substantiating the conversation.

EDIT: Or to put it curtly, it's all those vague comments that don't really mean anything.

Could you elaborate on the kind of game mechanics that you actually find you enjoy and perhaps why, and we could break down how they work and where the discrepancies or potentials exist between other game elements such as open worlds or a different reward/progression mechanic that might actually provide an increased potential entertainment value?

Could you give something other than "I'd rather people make the games I like.".

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Deivos

Sure .. "I'd rather people make the games i like and make them free"?

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Well point in case, nothing else to be said now.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by rodingo
    I never played EQ so the sound/expression has little meaning to me.  However I always got annoyed with people in guild chat for whichever themepark I was playing that feel the need to announce, " Ding!  :)  "  in guild chat each and every time they leveled.   As if getting from level 9 to level 10 in any themepark MMO in the past 8 years or so was something of a feat, much less something that the guild as a whole cared about.  In EQ I can see it being a bigger deal. 

early days i remember in Asheron's call that when you or group achieved something you got grats from whole server or when you anounced you lvled the whole server gave you the grats and gave a feeling of caring community sort of small town or village where majority still care what happen to fellow citizen unlike massive big citys.

Early mmo's days where special and it will never comeback:(

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by Deivos
    Sure .. "I'd rather people make the games i like and make them free"?
    Is there a poster here that does NOT feel this way, except maybe the "free" part? That is kind of a pointless post, don't you think?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR