Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Textures in EQ Next look vile !

azeraaronazeraaron Member UncommonPosts: 7

HI all

I have been building lvls for games since Doom2 was released and

to me the castle and textures they have revealed recently especially the

the stone are horrible...its like playing kiddies corner

I appreciate the performance issues using voxels but they must  be able

to come out with something more sinister and a tiny bit more lifelike otherwise i cant see architecture

we build being very convincing but knowing SOE we will prolly have to purchase texture packs and

i doubt they will let us import textures...

Thanks

Comments

• IRandomIRandom Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Have you played Planetside 2? If not - you should try it out. SOE are re-using PS2's crappy low-res assets with similar dull color palette in EQ Next, so don't expect to see anything significantly different between these games. Which is unfortunate, but oh well...
  • crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

As long as they keep the game's theme mature, I don't care about this graphics style. Some other aspects are much more crucial in deciding what makes a game a kiddy corner.

Look at GW2. Those guys enjoy spitting on their players and saying "hey, we built a game for morons and 10 year olds, and you look like one". Everything from the ingame dialogue to the advertisements "feed quaggan!" just oozes the childish theme.

On the other hand, games like wildstar look like a complete cartoon, but they treat their players as intelligent adults and that makes all the difference in the world.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by IRandom
    Have you played Planetside 2? If not - you should try it out. SOE are re-using PS2's crappy low-res assets with similar dull color palette in EQ Next, so don't expect to see anything significantly different between these games. Which is unfortunate, but oh well...

textures are easily editable in photoshop or any other image manipulation program... as are their colors.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by crasset15

As long as they keep the game's theme mature, I don't care about this graphics style.

Do you seriously think it's going to be mature after the giant oversized "swords" that look like they couldn't cut a thing? Or the blue sparkling jumprope called a "bow"?

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

*wonders when games became more about graphics and textures, instead of fun, friendships & longevity*

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Until I see real gameplay footage it just isn't something to worry about. The look of the game is about 10 billion times less important than the content anyway.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

As long as they keep the game's theme mature, I don't care about this graphics style.

Do you seriously think it's going to be mature after the giant oversized "swords" that look like they couldn't cut a thing? Or the blue sparkling jumprope called a "bow"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xogheZdAO18&hd=1

Man at arms just proved you wrong

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by azeraaron

I appreciate the performance issues using voxels but they must  be able

to come out with something more sinister and a tiny bit more lifelike otherwise i cant see architecture

we build being very convincing but knowing SOE we will prolly have to purchase texture packs and

i doubt they will let us import textures...

Thanks

Voxels don't put any drain on the rendering system at all.  It's just some preprocessing to generate polygons.

They should have no problem delivering contemporary texture quality.   Hopefully this is just work in progress.

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Haha, interesting video.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

Voxels definitely are going to limit some of what they do. Otherwise we'd have a nice looking voxel game by now instead of them all looking blocky. It is a young technology still.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

I have made some screencaps of the textures from the video:

I really have no idea what they where thinking. Everything looks as if it was coming straight from candyland and on top the textures even look kind of dull and generic. I wanted to build awesome looking structures in Landmark, but this is an arrow to the knee to every creation. And the worst thing is that a wall texture really isn’t hard to make. It’s essentially just a bitmap file.

Again we have the infamous blue play-doh wall and some things that are hard to identify. The oddly coloured sausages are supposed to be gemstone despite having no shine at all and the big greyish cube in lower right is supposed to be iron.

Well, what did you think what Tony the Tiger’s house looks like? Apparently they want to go through with the Disney style all the way to the end. But I have to say that even the wall textures from Tangled actually look better.

The VoxelFarm engine is well able to work with better looking textures.

I often hear thinks like: “I don’t care for the art style if the gameplay is good”. This is true, EQN is probably going to be a great game despite the odd art style, but it doesn’t make the art style any better. It is still bad and inappropriate for the game.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Sephastus

*wonders when games became more about graphics and textures, instead of fun, friendships & longevity*

Yes a game can be good despite of having bad graphics and textures, but it is not the case that bad graphics would be somehow required for that. You could still have all those things AND good graphics.

Just imagine you ordered a new car but when it arrives it is pink instead of the colour you had chosen. And then the car dealer would tell you: “C’mon, since when where cars just about the colour …”

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

I wouldn't be referencing a weapon that's ~ 70lb and requires two people to swing at an inanimate/static object to try and disprove giant weapons being unrealistic in their use.

EDIT: And Sengi that's a lot more to do with style than quality from what you're sharing.

Like if you note the wall textures you mention in tangled. They are largely muted in color and are mostly detailed by the static(random fuzz of color splotches, scuffing, etc that are all details that can and are frequently just haphazardly added to generate noise) in the pattern.

Similarly for Iron, you used a reference to cast iron, which is blackened not only by the process of making the item, but also by the heating and curing methods used on such wares.

If you reference straight iron, it's will be a deep grey color as a base, with red from oxidation. That still doesn't particularly match up to that texture shown there, but a mottled grey is not a strange or unnatural color for iron to be seen as.

It's an aesthetic choice SOE has made to make the game stylized in a CG Video kind of visual flair.

Did the stunted character proportions of old Snes RPGs cause this much ire? Did the strange compacted scaling of most every MMO game world throw off one's ability to think of them as a large environment to roam about in? Did the lack of toilets in the game make you ever wonder where all the NPCs go to poo?

No?

Then what in specific about this graphical style has earned it the standard of being to 'childish' or 'kiddy' or 'candyland' as opposed to another's style such as the painted flair of GW2 or the normals+cel shading of Firefall? Are these same arguments still levied against asian MMOs like Tera, Final Fantasy, Age of Wushu, etc for consistently using 'anime' styled graphics?

Minecraft, Dragon Age2, Diablo 3, Smite, Sims, Borderlands, Saints Row, Dungeon Defenders, Psychonauts, Team Fortress 2, etc. Plenty of games that have stylized graphics as part of their design and in many cases it's seen as a feature of the game, the given style being used to convey the intended atmosphere in both a complimentary and contrasting manner.

What's the actual argument being made here?

Is it really just complaining that the style didn't choose to go for realism, or is there some other rationale about the style of the game and how it meshes with the style of the graphics?

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Because graphics are everything right.

The engine is great. Look at what ps2 can do with its huge battles and huge open world.
  • goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Sengi
    No you can't have your cake and eat it.

Super flashy graphics means cutting corners elsewhere like making the game world highly instanced and restricting the amount of players on screen.

Finally got a chance to watch the video. Compared to every other Voxel game I've seen this simply looks amazing.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Ender4

Voxels definitely are going to limit some of what they do. Otherwise we'd have a nice looking voxel game by now instead of them all looking blocky. It is a young technology still.

It won't limit the shader effects at all, but it will limit the level of detail you can have in the core structure of your house.  ie, you won't be able to carve a picket fence, or window bars, or have really thin walls.   But you will be able to smoothly slant your structures to your heart's content and round off edges as well.

Furthermore, since you can plunk down high res items from Player Studio to make up for the coarse voxel resolution you really will have a lot of power.

Looking forward to playing with it.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Sephastus

since pong

but seriously those $300, $400, $500 video cards need something to do - and yes, graphics are on equal footing with gameplay and certainly fine looking graphics are fun - certainly more fun than the blue building blocks (and we've seen nothing but blue "stone" building blocks) in EQN/Landmark

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by Sengi

I have made some screencaps of the textures from the video:

I really have no idea what they where thinking. Everything looks as if it was coming straight from candyland and on top the textures even look kind of dull and generic. I wanted to build awesome looking structures in Landmark, but this is an arrow to the knee to every creation. And the worst thing is that a wall texture really isn’t hard to make. It’s essentially just a bitmap file.

Again we have the infamous blue play-doh wall and some things that are hard to identify. The oddly coloured sausages are supposed to be gemstone despite having no shine at all and the big greyish cube in lower right is supposed to be iron.

Well, what did you think what Tony the Tiger’s house looks like? Apparently they want to go through with the Disney style all the way to the end. But I have to say that even the wall textures from Tangled actually look better.

The VoxelFarm engine is well able to work with better looking textures.

I often hear thinks like: “I don’t care for the art style if the gameplay is good”. This is true, EQN is probably going to be a great game despite the odd art style, but it doesn’t make the art style any better. It is still bad and inappropriate for the game.

looks great to me. I'm tired of semi-photorealistic video games, I want a game that feels like a game, not a simulator.

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I'm ok with the textures in these screenshots. I've never been a graphics guy anyway. Which is why I still play morrowind, outpost, dink smallwood and other 10-15 year old games and love them.
    EQN is bringing something new and cool to an MMO, so I'm not going to scoff at the textures while I'm building my own little village with a tall scary tower overlooking it.
  • SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by goldtoof
    Because graphics are everything right.

The engine is great. Look at what ps2 can do with its huge battles and huge open world.

I think the Engine is pretty good overall too. I think we will see many more tweaks and the coding in the Forgelight engine will be made more efficient. PS2 also was a Beta test for EQN..

People seem to think that stylized or "candyland" graphics are childish. You may not like the way EQN looks, but looks are subjective. All I know is I can't wait to run EQN with my SLI setup image

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    While I withhold my final judgement until I play the game, so far from what I see I agree. Textures are among my biggest gripes. Just the entire lack of detail.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

The world is fine with me, I don't need bleeding edge, the character models could use some improving, and 'some' improvement is not something out of the question, since it isn't even close to being in alpha yet for EQN.

I thought it was going to be more along the lines of PS2, so was a little of a shock at first.

MY biggest worry atm is more that it will be so super casual, that it will be a turn off to me.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Xthos

The world is fine with me, I don't need bleeding edge, the character models could use some improving, and 'some' improvement is not something out of the question, since it isn't even close to being in alpha yet for EQN.

I thought it was going to be more along the lines of PS2, so was a little of a shock at first.

MY biggest worry atm is more that it will be so super casual, that it will be a turn off to me.

Something tells me that with the systems they have implemented (the mob AI, the destructible world, etc.) the game won't be "super casul"

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    After watching the video about different ores and so forth, I felt the same way.  I'm not that huge on graphics, but there is just something very unappealing for me about the graphics with this game and it isn't just the character models either.