Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Gamer: Microtransactions, the good, the bad and ugly

spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

This is a very nice and longer interesting article from PC Gamer about microtransactions in games....

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/03/microtransactions-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

Overview

* Game design handicapped by the need to create ways to charge players

* Fake-Fun Bucks in ackward exchange rate designed to actually hide the value of items i.e. Credits, Cartel Coins, Golden Eagle and so on...

*  Lack of clarity around the payment system attached to "Free to Play" games i.e. interlocking currencies, subscription deals,

expansions packs and "prefered status". If you are inviting players to make a purchase that you believe is worthwhile, why

hide the price ?

*  Paying for keys to unlock containers/boxes with randomized items and a small chance to get such one which is actually worth the investment:   In other words its Gambling to ripp off people !

* Pay to Win items

* Distrust in general

*  Charging for "Ressources" and "Energy Bar" restrictions - You are not failing to progress because of a lack of skill, but because of the expiration of an invented abstract ressource.  Comment: This reminds me of a guileful idea some years ago to charge actually "petrol" for vehicles.

* THE EXPIRATION TRAP:  Expiration systems cause components of the game to that you use regulary to wear out and break unless a certain amount of money is spent on repairs. A game might ask you to spend ingame Fake-Fun Bucks on restoring an item so that you run short, might feel the need to top up with a real money purchase.

* ITEM RENTAL: The difficulty with rental items is that, in order for them to be desireable enought to purchase for a limited period, they need to be powerful.

* PREMIUM ACCOUNT CHARGES: preventing regular players with severe limits.

* Payments for ACCOUNT BUFFS: If a game is entertaining enough, putting a lot of time into it should not feel like a core. The influence of the game design and slow down of player progressions.

* MINI DLC

--> Unfortunately not a single word about the dilution of a strong Community with so called "F2P" games and their microtransaction games, thats a part of the story the game magazines should come up with.

Comments

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168

This topic has been thoroughly explored in many threads; however, I will speak my primary opinion on the matter of microtransactions:

hate being slapped in the face for money while playing a game. This is why I prefer a subscription model. Or, at a minimum, a B2P model. I want to pay for the game and then earn items the same way everyone else does; by playing the game. I have enough money to pay-to-win, but that's not why I play games. 

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by Zuvielify

This topic has been thoroughly explored in many threads; however, I will speak my primary opinion on the matter of microtransactions:

hate being slapped in the face for money while playing a game. This is why I prefer a subscription model. Or, at a minimum, a B2P model. I want to pay for the game and then earn items the same way everyone else does; by playing the game. I have enough money to pay-to-win, but that's not why I play games. 

Well we did discuss this in the forum privatly, but this is an article from a PC Magazin which is actually important since they are a connector between the industry and consumers.

I fully agree, in certain games with such a microtransaction/F2p modell you feel more like interacting with a money making machine instead with a great game which has a soul, where you are concentrated just on the game content. Its like on a fair where salesmen will chat up to you left and right to buy something and this is actually ugly.

In addition such game concepts create distrust and its a grey line between reliability and ripp-off due to guilful business ideas. This does not count maybe for a part of the very young crowd since they dont have the life expirience and dont know how you get fooled in general in our world in almost every section of our life.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Thanks for the summation, OP.

Much hate for the monetization model; may it die swiftly and terribly.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    No mention in the Overview of the article's last page which discusses the F2P games that "get it right".  Nor the positive conclusions made at times, including how paying for cosmetics is ideal.  My suggestion: read the article before reading the overview and the OP's conclusions.
  • spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by thecapitaine
    No mention in the Overview of the article's last page which discusses the F2P games that "get it right".  Nor the positive conclusions made at times, including how paying for cosmetics is ideal.  My suggestion: read the article before reading the overview and the OP's conclusions.

If you actually reread the points they are talking about you will see a contradiction and you will actually find some of the points in such games, mentioned in their recommanded game list "which get it right". But those mentioned games get it more right than others and therefore they are recommanded. What conclusions you draw out of this article is individual and up to the reader.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Originally posted by spizz

If you actually reread the points they are talking about you will see a contradiction and actually some of the points mentioned in their recommanded game list "which get it right". But those mentioned games get it more right than others and therefore they are recommanded.

Of course there will be contradiction since nearly every point they make during the article is subjective to one degree or another.  My purpose in responding was simply to make clear that what was termed an overview wasn't quite accurate since it clearly pointed out the negative while neglecting to include any of the positives mentioned in the article.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

You know this is not about getting information, but about posturing and forum pvp, right?

Those who hate f2p is not going to change their minds no matter what is said in this and other articles. Ditto for those who like f2p.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    You know this is not about getting information, but about posturing and forum pvp, right?Those who hate f2p is not going to change their minds no matter what is said in this and other articles. Ditto for those who like f2p.

If you wish to say your presence here is forum posturing and pvp, and that you are not going to change your mind; you may do so. But you don't get to accuse others of being antagonistic and closed-minded as well.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit