Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think its over.

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         I have pretty much given up hope that I'll find another MMORPG that resembles and reminds me of paper and dice AD&D.. I loved EQ for all those reasons.. The management of your character that took in account for weight encumbrance, food and drink, FIZZLES, mana restoration.. etc etc..  I occasionally play GW2, but not as a RPG, but just a cheap shooting arcade game.. Same reason why I play Diablo 3..  As long as devs and producers keep chasing the pipe dream of being the next World of Warcraft, we'll continue to see more failed attempts, then a serious game designed for a smaller market.. 
  • vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Unless Blizzard comes up with something amazing in their next mmo I think the mmo genre is pretty much done for if they keep on making the same type of mmos. Games like Star Citizen, Destiny, Shroud of the Avatar  and The Division which are all non mmos that will be a totally superior gaming experience compared to what we have now.

Blizzard will NOT come up with something amazing... and it's not because they aren't capable of doing it. It's because they're going for the big masses. Which means a stupified game with a whole lot of question and exclamation makrs, pointers, hand-holding mechanics... That's how games are made today, OP mentioned it, and a few people above me mentioned it too. And we all know Blizzard likes the moneyz... And they're going for the moneyz, why would they give a fuck about a few of us that are unhappy with current direction of MMORPGs... And let's all face it, it's not only MMORPGS that went down the toilet of stupidity.

Look at where BioWare went from Bladur's Gate II and how Dragon Age II turned out? Stupified.

And actually also where Bethesda went from Morrowind to Skyrim when it comes to character mechanics and depth of character developement. Fuck action RPGs, seriously. Fuck quest pointers. Fuck health, magica and stamina choice when i level up. And I'm not saying Skyrim is a bad game, it was enjoyable, but right now I'm replaying Morrowind and i can see just how much depth it has and how much more the game allows me to mold my character. To really ROLE-PLAY IT! 

Anyway back to on-topic. I don't really expect anyone to make a real hard, unforgiving adult MMORPG anymore. The current state of gaming industry just doesn't allow that.

I am curious about Elder Scrolls online, but i think that's just because I wanna see just how much they can fuck the Elder Scrolls PI up by making it even more shallow and straight forward, just to make sure any fucking ape out there that could buy the game will understand it and know how to play it.

After all we wouldn't want stupid illiterate people to feel inferior, now would we? :S

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by jpnz

So another 'Back in the old days MMO' rants?

Sorry but that gameplay is now niche.

Sometimes what you like is niche and that means the market might not cater to what you want.

How do you know it is niche 90% of the MMO population has come when WoW came out due to mass advertising most dont even know they were MMOs before WoW and think its the first one to come out. so majority of player have never tried a old school type MMO to even know if they like it or not all they ever known are the current day MMOs. So i ask are they realy a niche game or a game type that hasnt been discovered by many.

As for OP im pritty much the same maybe im gettong too old but i realy hope not considering im only 22 atm :( and realy do miss those meaningful games that provided some challenges and the communitys and so on :( :( :(

Its "niche" gameplay that the majority on this site would like to see more of and I see no reason why this site would be different from any other gaming website.

We don't want the old gameplay lock stock and barrel. But we do want a return to MMOs that emphasise grouping, social and sandbox elements. Rather than soloing, pay to win and gambling lockboxes.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by tristanryan

Im honestly tired.

Tired of trying.

Tired of searching.

Tired of gimmicks and false advertisement.

Tired of rude communities.

Tired of lazy and/or scamming developers. (usually both)

Maybe im just getting old. What happened to the addictiveness, the spark, the magic, the difficulty and the competition. Every single game is the exact same bullshit. They are all one month wonders with zero longevity designed for someone with the intelligence of a gnat overpopulated with people that think they are genious. What the hell happened? I remember 10-12 years ago just day dreaming on what was ahead and what this genre would become. I remember wondering how amazed we would all be. I remember wondering about how amazing the virtual worlds would be that we would all explore. I remember real difficulty and the penalties if you died or failed. The comraderie and teamwork. I remember real communities. Real friendships and relationships that carried over off the screen. Now its just a huge cesspool no matter what game you enter its total rudeness and hate.

Hmm... guess you have same problems with everything in your live. If you put it that way ... all time spent with your kids was useless, spend a lot of money, ...

We should be treated with more respect. We spend thousands and thousands of dollars on games and keeping our systems up to spec to stay on top and its all just full of regret now. Total waste of time and money. Tell me a game thats worth the time and i will explain how ive played it and the problems it has.

Have you enjoyed THEN? if yes about what waste of time and money are you talking??? Been in fitness ever, enjoyed and improved your health? Good, at THAT time was not waste at all and guess having better health from THAT time worked well even for older age.

I work 40-60 hours per week, i take very, very good care of my family but i still have the night. I mostly drink beer, read forums and wonder what the fuck happened.

Sorry for the rant.

Wondering when you will start thinking same way about your family, friends, ...

Stop living in PAST or FUTURE, start enjoying your life NOW, at time WHEN something is happening. If you are unable, do not blame games or family or friends ....

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

I normally don't do this but I wanted to post the blog that this string inspired.

I always get my inspiration from the stuff said in the forums, and this particular string acted as a huge muse for me last night.

I hope that it makes some kind of sense to what you are all feeling.

Becoming an O.G.

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by vort3x
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Unless Blizzard comes up with something amazing in their next mmo I think the mmo genre is pretty much done for if they keep on making the same type of mmos. Games like Star Citizen, Destiny, Shroud of the Avatar  and The Division which are all non mmos that will be a totally superior gaming experience compared to what we have now.

Blizzard will NOT come up with something amazing... and it's not because they aren't capable of doing it. It's because they're going for the big masses. Which means a stupified game with a whole lot of question and exclamation makrs, pointers, hand-holding mechanics... That's how games are made today, OP mentioned it, and a few people above me mentioned it too. And we all know Blizzard likes the moneyz... And they're going for the moneyz, why would they give a fuck about a few of us that are unhappy with current direction of MMORPGs... And let's all face it, it's not only MMORPGS that went down the toilet of stupidity.

Look at where BioWare went from Bladur's Gate II and how Dragon Age II turned out? Stupified.

And actually also where Bethesda went from Morrowind to Skyrim when it comes to character mechanics and depth of character developement. Fuck action RPGs, seriously. Fuck quest pointers. Fuck health, magica and stamina choice when i level up. And I'm not saying Skyrim is a bad game, it was enjoyable, but right now I'm replaying Morrowind and i can see just how much depth it has and how much more the game allows me to mold my character. To really ROLE-PLAY IT! 

Anyway back to on-topic. I don't really expect anyone to make a real hard, unforgiving adult MMORPG anymore. The current state of gaming industry just doesn't allow that.

I am curious about Elder Scrolls online, but i think that's just because I wanna see just how much they can fuck the Elder Scrolls PI up by making it even more shallow and straight forward, just to make sure any fucking ape out there that could buy the game will understand it and know how to play it.

After all we wouldn't want stupid illiterate people to feel inferior, now would we? :S

Vort3X is right,

+1

I too think its over.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Ops right... All games are identicle.. either same machanics and systems or packed with horrible little know it all good for nothing children. I honestly cant say ive played an amazeing game though eve came close until it was invaded by wow players now thats shit too.
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

The best thing any of these old school reminiscers can do is go play the old games. Sure the games aren't what they used to be granted but they are closer to what they want than anything else out there. [mod edit]

I enjoy the old, the current  and hopefully the new. EQN seems to be going in a new and unique direction. The Wow clone days are numbered but keep in mind it's not going to revert back to 1999.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by Acebets70
    I agree with OP, im shocked at the majority of people here saying "just accept these crappy games now"  lol WHAT????  

Not sure what makes you or the OP able to judge what is "crap" and what is not. This is actually dangerously close to the way various zealots think all over our world... "we know better than you what is good for you, and I must tell you how to behave properly!".

Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Looks like Donpopuki struck a nerve here... image

Truth often hurts... a bit... or more.

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Don't drink too much while consuming your self-pity cookies.

As usual... imageimage

My computer is better than yours.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    [mod edit]

So people that want something that is not a linear no freedom themepark don't have a legit complaint?  It has nothing to do with reliving anything, many of us prefer the type of MMO that has not been made for the last 9 years (other than Darkfall) but looks to be in developement...thankfully.  Many of us that want a virtual world with risk vs reward and consequences for our actions do have hope coming in the next two years from smaller developers.  Possibly one of these games will take some of us away from this forum.  Keep your fingers crossed!

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Another Doom and Gloom thread...

The truth is the MMO genre is moving forward with or without you.  Sure, there are LOTS of things I would love to see in modern MMOs that existed in old MMOs, some of which are important to me, but that's not going to happen.  To all the people out there claiming it's over and there is nothing to play, you can still play almost every popular old school MMO and many have a fairly thriving community (for instance I heard a rumor that the population of EQ is about on the level of EQ2's) so the question is why aren't you still playing those?

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I like how you guys are saying the genre is over... Ok, so maybe for the 300 SAME people that post here everyday, it may be over. Honestly, most of you seem to play to much to begin with... It may benefit you for the "genre" to be over. 

As for me? I'm still having fun. 

Originally posted by Praetalus

I like how you guys are saying the genre is over... Ok, so maybe for the 300 SAME people that post here everyday, it may be over. Honestly, most of you seem to play to much to begin with... It may benefit you for the "genre" to be over. 

As for me? I'm still having fun. 

Indeed.

MMOs at the times of UO, AC1 and EQ? Less than 1 million players.

Today? More like 50 million players.

But yeah, it's over... whatever you say, heh ;-)

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121

I agree that the MMO(RPG) genre is in a dismal state, but surely you have to have a broader interest in gaming. I'm looking forward to so many games, half of them are actual MMORPGs, that I don't know where i'll find the time to play them all.

The Repopulation

Divergence

Camelot Unchained

Elite Dangerous

Star Citizen

The Long Dark (one of the most interesting games to come along in years IMO)

Originally posted by CobraMKIII

I agree that the MMO(RPG) genre is in a dismal state...

... with more players than it ever had. Yep, dismal seems to be the proper word to describe it.

(/sarcasm)

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    For a minute, I thought I was reading a thread on a Republican party site...
  • LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by jesad
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    If all 12 of you quit what will the other 48 million of us do ?

Continue to waste your time and money until you become us?

The day I decide games are a waste of time and or money...I wont be sitting around on a forum complaining about it.

Forums > most games tbh.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Bossalinie
    For a minute, I thought I was reading a thread on a Republican party site...

Nah. We have our own conservatives here.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

... with more players than it ever had. Yep, dismal seems to be the proper word to describe it.

(/sarcasm)

Well the population of earth is more than it's ever been, must be a wonderful place.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

(/sarcasm)

Quality, not quantity.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

(/sarcasm)

Almost everyone has an access to internet in western countries these days. That means you can mass produce shite and it will sell nonetheless.

Those selected few who had a broadband connection in late 90's or very early 2000's (i wasn't one of them) and were able to play UO, AC, etc. can tell the difference. The others probably have no clue and are willing to take whatever crap these companies will produce, and take it as a second coming of Jesus Christ when a new, shiny and more convenient MMO comes out.

Quality, most definitely > quantity.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by deniter

Almost everyone has an access to internet in western countries these days. That means you can mass produce shite and it will sell nonetheless.

Those selected few who had a broadband connection in late 90's or very early 2000's (i wasn't one of them) and were able to play UO, AC, etc. can tell the difference. The others probably have no clue and are willing to take whatever crap these companies will produce, and take it as a second coming of Jesus Christ when a new, shiny and more convenient MMO comes out.

Quality, most definitely > quantity.

The funny part is there was still a large amount of complaining about those games back then. Forums really looked no different. SWG is a perfect example actually. As it had just as fast of a decline as any game would today if not faster.

Quality is a subjective quantifier, there's no more truth in those who were calling old games shite, than there is in those calling the current crop shite.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I have no problem people voicing their wants and wishes. The line is crossed when "x" isn't in the game then the game is made for "the lowest common denominator" and "these kids want everything handed to them nowadays". Whether someone likes a game or not isn't a true reflection of the value of the person. The toxicity of all this is spilling over into real life when devs get death threats. Call me a hypocrite all you want but just because I see the toxic behavior and call a spade a spade doesn't invalidate the observation.
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

(/sarcasm)

Quality, not quantity.

And who are you to define what "quality" is for other people?

Not to mention many forgot what messes the releases of UO, EQ and AC1 were... quality, yeah... what quality?

What's funny is that I've been playing MMORPGs since UO, and forums have always been the same... full of a minority of very vocal whiners who are never happy. You guys act like this only started recently, but you have long term memory problems if you really believe that.

I have no problem people voicing their wants and wishes. The line is crossed when "x" isn't in the game then the game is made for "the lowest common denominator" and "these kids want everything handed to them nowadays". Whether someone likes a game or not isn't a true reflection of the value of the person. The toxicity of all this is spilling over into real life when devs get death threats. Call me a hypocrite all you want but just because I see the toxic behavior and call a spade a spade doesn't invalidate the observation.

Well said! image

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

(/sarcasm)

Well the population of earth is more than it's ever been, must be a wonderful place.

Have you tried living on any of the other planets ?