Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much have you spent on MMORPGs in the past 5 years?

2»

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

In the past 5 years?  Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, FFXIV.

In the 5 years before that?  A whole hell of a lot more despite only playing one MMO.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Originally posted by f0dell54

Shit!!!!

Probably thousands. Not even going to try to figure it out. It will only make me depressed.

I've also poured a ton of money into MMOs over the past 5 years, but it's only a fraction of the amount of money I've spent on gaming as a whole. Don't be depressed by it. For me, spending money on gaming is spending money on my sanity.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Past 5 I'm not really sure.

I did nuts out and do a bunch of SoR's in WoW for the instant level 80s.  I have 5 accounts because I used to multi-box.

Post WoW mostly F2Ps.  Three or four at fifty bucks or so.

I'd guess $1,500.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    I can't be the only one who's actually in the black overall.  In terms of net results, I've made ~$3,000 on MMO's, but that number isn't very impressive when you realize that comes out to about $0.50 per hour haha, but at least (most) of it was fun.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

WoW - $640 - 3 years sub, 2 expansions - I was so depressed, I bought pandas...

RIFT - $250 - 10 months sub 2 expansions - Great 10 months. I should have never bought the xpac. I played less than 15 mins.

SWTOR - $124 - 3 months sub - 79 for "digital box" wtf? - Digital download plus got me. Damn those 30 sec videos were cool.

TSW - $109 - 4 months sub  - $49 "digital box" wtf? - Played 2 months of beta, 2 months after launch, and subbed to support for 2 months. By that time it was clear pvp was not a priority at all.

GW2 - $60 - "Digital box" - Great deal huh?! I played 3 weeks... Quite expensive.

Planetside 2 - $130 - 40 alpha - 80 on weapons.... - it's too easy to buy in this game, for some reason I felt good doing it...

Age of Wushu - $80 sub - 1 full year with no digital box cost! hurray!

total - 1,393 give or take 10 bucks

All in all I fell like I wasted about $160

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Looking through this thread I realized I did not buy any of the games mentioned... except I guess Hellgate: London.  I just bought the regular version t hat cost me $60 and remember not playing it past 2 weeks in.  That game fizzled real fast for me.  Still to this day regret the purchase.  I ended up taking my box and the cd's and setting them aflame in a fire pit at my buddy's cottage.

Any of the MMO's I have played in the past 5 years have either been F2P which never lasted long with no money spent on the cash shop or they were betas or free trials/buddy keys given to me.  Other times I simply went over to a friend's place and used their account to try the new games that came out for a few hours and goof around only to come to realize that the game is not for me and  saving the money for booze instead.

This also includes no Kickstarter contributions.  I think all the games I have bought in the last 5 years have been single player or some kind of multiplayer without a subscription fee....like Borderlands 2 or something..

As it stands now, I think the trend will continue.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

I'd like to point out a few interesting trends I see emerging:

It seems, in this thread, as though people who stick to one game generally spend less over time than people who try many different games.

It also appears that people who stick to "Free to play" games really do spend less (in general) than people who play subscription games, which bucks conventional wisdom.

Am I wrong?

edit: see sacredfool's post image

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Past 5 years, I think around $60, $35 to SOE (EQ2 mainly, but I also spent some coins on DCUO, even though I played it very little) and $25 to City of Heroes. Perhaps a bit more (I tend to forget some spendings). Ends of 2008 was really the end of my MMO subscriptions, and these days I hardly play anything at all.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

It also appears that people who stick to "Free to play" games really do spend less (in general) than people who play subscription games, which bucks conventional wisdom.

Am I wrong?

You are. Free to play is made for players like the 2-3 guys in this thread that spent $1000 + on it. See the RoM posts.Everyone else does generally spend less.

For me:

RuneScape: $40

EVE Online: $50

Age of Conan: $20

Path of Exile: $15

Allods: $10

That's a grand total of $135 over 5 years, $2 a month.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Marvel Heroes - $0

STO - $0

LOTRO - $0

NWO - $0

PS2 - $0

... there are probably more .. but still a bunch of zeroes.