Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] DC Universe Online: Jens Andersen on Bringing DCUO to the PS4

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the next couple of weeks, big changes will come to the world with the launch of the Playstation 4. DC Universe Online players will also benefit from the console's launch as PS4 players will flood into the game. We caught up with Jens Andersen to talk about what's new with the game, the PS4 launch and what PS3 players can expect as well. Read on!

The biggest thing that Jens stressed was the team’s willingness to work on the PS4 launch and how much Sony supported them in the effort. There are always high expectations for the next generation games on the new consoles and DC Universe was able to meet those criteria. Even minor elements like the new controller were adapted and added to make for a better experience. Jens explained that once you get out of the tutorial there are two massive cities you have to explore. The team was able to make the entire world work within the new platform. Jens also stressed that you do not need a PlayStation Plus account to play.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's DC Universe Online: Jens Andersen on Amazing Changes Coming to the Game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Why would "PS4 players will flood into the game"?  I would bet a majority of the PS4 buyers already own a PS3 and have already made a decision about this game.  The only people who might actually come "flooding in" are new PS buyers who dont own a PS3 and dont play games on or own a  computer.  Everyone else who would be interested would have already tried this game.  Could you elaborate on your use of the phrase "flood into the game" and maybe provide some basis for that statement?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    Why would "PS4 players will flood into the game"?

maybe due to the lack of games available on PS4 release?

• SchockeySchockey Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Surge would be the proper term. I played on PC and liked it. I do not own a PS3,  I will be playing on PS4. I am actually looking forward to it.
  • MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137
    do any of our accounts from pc or ps3 carry over or will it be a "clean slate"?
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I see you changed the line.  Thank you for removing the marketing speak.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Mirathel
    do any of our accounts from pc or ps3 carry over or will it be a "clean slate"?

PC is seperate

PS3 and PS4 play on same servers

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dcuo-on-ps4-will-allow-cross-play-with-ps3/1100-6415895/

PlayStation 4 will allow cross-platform play with PlayStation 3. DCUO senior creative director Jens Andersen said during a phone interview with GameSpot this morning, "As a PS4 launch title, cross-compatibility, getting all of our console players on the same server, is a major priority."

"We realize not everyone will be upgrading to a PS4," Andersen says, "but for players that do, we want them to be able to maintain the progress of their characters and still play with all of their friends."

• Tenaka30Tenaka30 Member UncommonPosts: 84

Cheers Nadia.

Think I'll give this game another shot on the PS4.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Just for reference, we also said the same thing about cross-server play.  :)

So what does the PS4 do for DC Universe Online? On a strategic level the game now can grow in the console space. Jens is really happy with the new horizons for the consoles and DC will be part of it right from the beginning. That being said he stressed the point to players that they will continue to develop the game for the PS3. They plan to fully support the PS3 and those players will share the servers with the PS4 players. They were happy to keep all the players on the same servers. Jens said the new generation of consoles brings some power to the table. Because DCUO was developed for the PC originally, it fell right in line with the PS4. The PS4 is akin to the PC in a lot of ways and gave the developers an advantage.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    This game has a soft spot in my heart.. I really like playing it and try to revisit it every once in awhile.  Really happy to see it on the PS4,  but if Sony planned to give it any future,  they kind of had to.    Looking forward to see where they go from here.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

It's an MMO for consoles, of course they should be pushing it for the PS4.  Especially at launch, when fewer titles will be available, just by the nature of things.  The PC keyboard and mouse implementation was pathetic, making this a controller only game, unless your tolerance for bad UI was very high.

Is Superman still an Ice Tanker?

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    ...  The only people who might actually come "flooding in" are new PS buyers who dont own a PS3 and dont play games on or own a  computer...

I own a gaming pc and plan to play this on the ps4.  I have other mates in the same boat who plan to as well.  We may not be a flood, but I doubt we are the only ones.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    I get why ps2 is going with separate servers as the ps4 guys will have a big disadvantage vs mice, joysticks and xp'd up players, but I don't get why dcuo needs to separate players.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    I can't see how a 3 year old game that flopped when it released, probably holding the record for fastest MMO to shift from p2p to f2p, is going to do any better just because its on a new console.  Failed MMOs don't get second chances at success.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• GelthidorGelthidor Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    I can't see how a 3 year old game that flopped when it released, probably holding the record for fastest MMO to shift from p2p to f2p, is going to do any better just because its on a new console.  Failed MMOs don't get second chances at success.

Most would say that FF14 was a failure...but ARR is actually pretty fun

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Well dang, I was hoping that I could use my PC account/characters on ps4 servers.

Schucks!

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i mostly played DCUO on PC. I Switched to the PS3 version because it has a lot more people (according to every article that talks about it) but i had to go back to the PC version because the PS3 version is way to slow loading and it feels and fps feel way below 30fps. I'll definitely give the PS4 a try to see how smooth it is. But im not buying the same DLCs again so ill probably just stay on PC anyway.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    I really enjoyed this game on PC, but since I dont have the All-Access Pass anymore Ive been downgraded to a Silver player, which with the silly money cap in place that should be unlockable by buying the unlock in the store. so I stopped playing.. Other than it coming to PS4 did they upgrade the graphic engine or something for the PS4 release?

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by Gelthidor

APB and The Old Republic hold the records for the fast pay to play to f2p shift.

Originally posted by firefly2003

APB and The Old Republic hold the records for the fast pay to play to f2p shift.

Pretty sure DCUO went to f2p quicker than TOR.

ARR is pretty fun...but, from what I'm told, its a much different game than it was before.  Same can't be said for DCUO.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

DCUO released 11 Jan 2011, went F2P 1 Nov 2011.

TOR released 20 Dec 2011, went F2P 15 Nov 2012.

APB is more complicated released 29 Jun 2010, closed on 16 Sep 2010, re-released 6 Dec 2011.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by skeaser

DCUO released 11 Jan 2011, went F2P 1 Nov 2011.

TOR released 20 Dec 2011, went F2P 15 Nov 2012.

APB is more complicated released 29 Jun 2010, closed on 16 Sep 2010, re-released 6 Dec 2011.

Loremaster's ( I mean skeaser, nice sig :) ) right, APB crashed and burned, and the Reloaded version which is f2p.

As for DCUO, it's a fun little game, I still play it occasionally on PC, even after SOE gave us away to P7S1... but some comments to the interview:

in the headline  "PS4 players will flood into the game"   - they will flood the PS3 servers (as it's cleared later)

"They were able to address the leveling curve from one to thirty and make it much better and smoother."  - khm, the leveling curve which was already jumpstarted you to 30 in less than a week? :)

"the game now can grow in the console space"  - as if it wasn't the case right now... maybe Smed said last year somewhere, that more than 70% of the players are on the PS3 servers

"Because DCUO was developed for the PC originally"  - strange, I remember it was SOE's definite plan to make an mmo for the PS3, but of course maybe my memories are wrong. On the other hand, just look at the UI, it was the worst one on the market from a PC player's POV - but then Defiance came and won that title :)

Don't get me wrong, I like this move (though I'd never play on console), the upgraded graphics are cool, with a growing playerbase there's a chance for more DLC's, new powersets maybe, etc. It was only weird and funny to read, that SOE's flagship console mmo will arrive on Sony's next-gen console as expected, but the interview sounds like it will be the biggest thing since sliced bread :)

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I'll defintly be giving this a try again when & if (did not preorder a ps4) i get my hands on a ps4. The thing that really turned me off to this game was the muddy textures on the ps3 (Yes im a graphics whore) But the game itself was fun.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Just for reference, we also said the same thing about cross-server play.  :)

So what does the PS4 do for DC Universe Online? On a strategic level the game now can grow in the console space. Jens is really happy with the new horizons for the consoles and DC will be part of it right from the beginning. That being said he stressed the point to players that they will continue to develop the game for the PS3. They plan to fully support the PS3 and those players will share the servers with the PS4 players. They were happy to keep all the players on the same servers. Jens said the new generation of consoles brings some power to the table. Because DCUO was developed for the PC originally, it fell right in line with the PS4. The PS4 is akin to the PC in a lot of ways and gave the developers an advantage.

Exactly,  the PS4 is very similar to the PC and that is why Bungie's approach to a no PC policy for Destiny is so braindead.  I think I will just boycott anything from Bungie.  No sense supporting idiotic developers.

With the initial shortage of games for the PS4, this game should do very well.

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

I really like this game, but as many others said, their payment model isn't the best one could come up with. Last year I was paying the monthly sub for 4 months, played the game A LOT in those 4 months and I had a blast. However now, that I'm not exactly sure if I would play it enough to make the monthly sub worthwhile, I can't really play unless I pay for it. The money cap is ridiculous on premium accounts, all DLCs missing,... In other words, the game becomes quite unplayable unless you're a legendary member...