Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: New Dev Diary Highlights Crafting - Tools and Materials

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

A brand new dev diary from the EQ Next and Landmark guys at SOE details some of the thoughts and decisions on what the games will have in store for crafters when it comes to tools and materials.

Check out the video below, and be sure to leave your comments in the thread!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• MartinmasMartinmas Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Looks pretty cool. Can not wait to try it out and see what all kind of stuff I can make. Too bad with all the Hearthstone traffic going on this thread will get buried quickly and most will not see the video.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Cool, I think... Certainly interesting. Wonder what you can do with it once you build it. Move on to the next?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Me likes.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Gold....Axe?   Ohboy.   I sure hope it is magickal, because you'd have to work hard to come up with a less useful substance for making an axe.  Hope they aren't going down the 'Pine is the best hardwood!' path of randomly bolting names onto characteristics of substances.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    can't wait to try this, looks so much fun.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Originally posted by bcbully
    Cool, I think... Certainly interesting. Wonder what you can do with it once you build it. Move on to the next?

Depends how they implement this beyond copying Minecraft. The idea is mostly that the player do what he wants with what he find though.

Example, you can make a table with different type of woods. Do you really need to get the highest tier one for it? Some people will want to do so for prestige or just because they think ebony looks cooler than pinewood, others will be content with their basic table made out of maple.

It's a bit different when it comes to weapons and armor though, because the dev did say that material provide different bonus, so it's more build based.

Originally posted by Arglebargle
    Gold....Axe?   Ohboy.   I sure hope it is magickal, because you'd have to work hard to come up with a less useful substance for making an axe.  Hope they aren't going down the 'Pine is the best hardwood!' path of randomly bolting names onto characteristics of substances.

As long as we don't get a wood pick that mine rocks...

They are copying Minecraft so maybe it's not "better" (in Minecraft it's just faster and you can't mine gold with a gold pick). The biggest difference here though is that they added a bit more complexity and diversity with material creation and item creation.

Originally posted by azarhal

Originally posted by bcbully

As long as we don't get a wood pick that mine rocks...

They are copying Minecraft so maybe it's not "better" (in Minecraft it's just faster and you can't mine gold with a gold pick). The biggest difference here though is that they added a bit more complexity and diversity with material creation and item creation.

Ironwood could work as a pick.  Maybe a few other types of unusual wood.   But there's no characteristic of gold that would make it a decent pick/axe component.  Even as jewelry, it is mixed with other metals, because it is too soft, easy to bend and break.  There's no reason to go that route, other than laziness.   It's like they pick words randomly out of a hat.

No issue with the idea of adding diversity.   It just offends my suspension of disbelief to have them pay so little attention to basics.   Makes me wonder what else they didn't pay attention to.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Lol creative way to break into a house indeed.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Seeing this makes me wonder if you could make a castle out of snow or gemstone for instance...
    .....and if there are gold pickaxes, why isn't everyone stealing them???

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    wanna play now!
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Its like minecraft with fable graphics
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    how long is it going to take to gather the stuff to make a castle that large?
  • KremchekKremchek Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by DMKano

I never understood the silly progression for tools - I was hoping they were going to think outside the box more and come up with a better system - 5 tiers, tin, iron, ... c'mon!

Also the scripting is cringeworthy "Oh looks like someone... has broken... into the bottom of Dave's castle, I wonder if he knows this.."

Gee I wonder if he knows about the pre-planned tunnel, setup to show a feature of the game in a public video... please!

Why not just be honest with us, we are not idiots- and just tell us - hey we setup this tunnel here to show how you could break into someone's house.

Its possible that another Dev went in and added that without his knowledge. We obviously don't know and shouldn't assume they're lying about something silly. Who cares either way?

To the guy saying its a deal breaker if people can do this to other players...they've already said you can't. They are likely playing on one account or tool or someone broke into his design and messed with it....or as this fella said, it was planned. You aren't going to have people breaking into your house and making changes.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

"Maybe next time we'll go down and look..."

Damnit! They Cliff-hangered EQN

• Heatsink00Heatsink00 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    This video leaves out a huge chunk of information.   The whole thing could be condensed to: "We have tool and material progression.  You can make stuff."  I thought this video might have useful crafting mechanics explained, but it's not informative.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

sounds interesting indeed, i hope when the game actually comes out the crafting isnt just the same old boring useless crafting. Sounds good in theory, looking forward to see it in action.

I still strongly believe than developing Landmark as another game is taking away time and resources that could be potentially better used in EQN itself. Landmark should have been just a content creator (foundry) for EQN, not another game.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Also, the idea that someone can break into the floor of my cast randomly is not a plus. If people can do that and wreak havoc with your structure, then that could very well be a deal breaker for me. I'm sure there will be more to how this works, but I really hope we get some more concrete info on this aspect soon.

they won't be able to break into your house. SOE has clearly stated that within one's lot the owner will be able to assign permissions as to who does what.

So no digging or breaking into a house if the owner doesn't permit it.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Maybe norrathian gold is a great deal stronger :P

Originally posted by nuttob
    Seeing this makes me wonder if you could make a castle out of snow or gemstone for instance...

I dont see why not, In EQ1 they made a city out of snow and Ice so i wouldnt be surprised if u could do it in EQN. Also i think i saw an ice house that one of the Devs made in a video when they were playing round in landmark.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I think it looks pretty cool and very interesting. I was afraid the structures and items would end up too blocky and crude like in Minecraft, but they look nice.

I agree with ArgleBargle. Please don't use Minecraft tier names. Use something a little more immersive and sensible.

Also, the idea that someone can break into the floor of my cast randomly is not a plus. If people can do that and wreak havoc with your structure, then that could very well be a deal breaker for me. I'm sure there will be more to how this works, but I really hope we get some more concrete info on this aspect soon.

Once you claim a land no one else can change it unless you give them permition, im assuming the tunnel in the video is to show off and underground type building or somthing later on. They said they were gonna explore it in another dev diary so im assuming it their just to lead onto somthing later in their diaries prob underground stuff.

• ChaaKChaaK Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Heatsink98
    This video leaves out a huge chunk of information.   The whole thing could be condensed to: "We have tool and material progression.  You can make stuff."  I thought this video might have useful crafting mechanics explained, but it's not informative.

Yeah I agree. It's interesting but it's a little bit light to me. Also only 5 tiers?

• NikaasNikaas Member UncommonPosts: 135
    The character movement is awful. The soapsliding is enormous and there is no separate upper an lower body animation/action - i.e. you can't have hands animation (chopping, crafting)  going on while you walk/run. Its run animation OR hands action animation. This means (if things did not change considerably) that in EQN when instant abilities are executed on the go your character will swing with his legs stationary even if you run - it can even be seen on EQN presentation videos.

I really hope they rework and polish it more than considerably.
  • SkogSonSkogSon Member Posts: 59
    Seriously awesome game.. I only hope they deliver!!

Free to live, Free to play!

• SkogSonSkogSon Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by rojo6934

sounds interesting indeed, i hope when the game actually comes out the crafting isnt just the same old boring useless crafting. Sounds good in theory, looking forward to see it in action.

I still strongly believe than developing Landmark as another game is taking away time and resources that could be potentially better used in EQN itself. Landmark should have been just a content creator (foundry) for EQN, not another game.

Hahaha that is one seriously sick avatar you got there sir! Its like hypno toad at a whole new level :P

Free to live, Free to play!