Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much have you spent on MMORPGs in the past 5 years?

I have gotten back into MMORPGs the last 3 years.  Going back to buying Rift on release was my first purchase. 

Bought Rift and dropped it after 30 days = 40 or 50 I am not sure now.

I spent 30 on WoW expansions and played for 2 months which is another 30.

So in total I spent $100 to $110 on MMORPGs in the last 5 years. How much do you spend on this hobby? 

Comments

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    In the past 5 years I have bought Rift, and Tor plus all the expansions for Lotro and 20 dollars on marvel heroes. So around maybe 250. I only played Tor for 30 days so did not subscribe played rift  for like 6 months so bought that package. I did buy a lifetime to Lotro around 6 years ago for 199 or something like that. So i gues if you ad that in about $449 seems like allot but over 60 months thats like 7 dollars a month not to bad. 
  • BatzenbaerBatzenbaer Member UncommonPosts: 76

Past 5 Years?

-WAR(+3 Months)=80€

-RoM(F2P)=200€+

-Aion CN=20€

-Aion CE EU(+12 Months)=200€

-STO=50€

-Atlantica Online(F2P)=200€+

-Rift=50€

-FF XIV CE=70€

-ToR CE(+2 Months)=100€

-TERA(+2Months)=70€

-The Secret World=30€

-Age of Wushu(F2P)=100€

-Scarlet Blade(F2P)=40€

-Age of Wulin(F2P)=100€

~1300€ ^^

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

My guess is between one and two grand. I don't even have the heart to

go back and count

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Not a whole lot. Most of them I've tried in a beta or with a buddy key and since almost no good MMORPG have come out in the past 5 years I haven't purchased many. I just wait a year and play them when they go free to play.

I bought GW2 and TSW and that might actually be it. I probably subbed to WoW for a while in there too, I quit when Cataclysm killed the game.

• legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81

when I was into runescape a few years ago(2008-2010)  6$ x 20 = 120$

last purchase was gw2 for 50 euro (70$), nothing else as far as my memory goes.

total: 190$

been traveling from mmo to mmo, the life of a mmo-nomad

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Too much.. since i always forget to unsub games that am not playing anymore.
  • AvaglaorAvaglaor Member UncommonPosts: 25

WoW ~ 1500€ (total) ~ 700€ (last five years) : 4 years non-stop and 4 years in and out, all the expantions and a few server transfers/ faction changes.

Aion ~ 120€ : Game+6 months sub.

Rift ~ 70€ :Game + 2-3 (?) months sub.

SWTOR ~ 65€: Game+2 months (that i never played:P)

Tera ~ 130€ : CE + 6 months

GW2 ~ 60€ : Game + few diamonds

~1100€

• Mud_MonsterMud_Monster Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Warhammer Online CE $80
    Warhammer Online SE (Best Buy was going to be over a week late getting my preorder of the CE to me and I couldn’t wait) $50
    Warhammer Online 11 months of subscription $165
    Aion SE $43
    Aion CE Upgrade $10
    Heroes of Three Kindoms - Item Shop purchases $20
    WoW: Cataclysm $50
    WoW: 2 months of subcription $30
    Rift (steam sale) $15
    Rift CE Upgrade $5
    Star Wars the Old Republic Collector's Edition $250
    Star Wars the Old Republic: 6 months of subscription $78
    Guild Wars 2 $60
    Guild Wars 2 Item Shop purchases $20
    Neverwinter  $60
    Neverwinter Item Shop Purchases $50
    Marvel Heroes $30
    FFXIV Digital CE $38
    FFXIV 6 month sub $78

Total $1,132

I might have missed some things, but I think that is most of it.  Not as bad as I was originally worried when I started to add it up.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

Mmhh...

GW2 digital deluxe = $65

$15 on average for GW2 per month = $210

SW:TOR digital deluxe = $70 I think (don't remember)

7 months of subscription to SW:TOR = 7x15 = $105

At least 4 years of WoW sub for two accounts (I took short breaks) = 4 x 12 x 15 x 2 = $1440

WoW Cataclysm and WoW Pandaland for two accounts = $35x4 (or something approaching) = $140

Bought Rift (worst purchase in these last 5 years) = $55 (I think)

There must be other purchases I do not remember right now.

The total is something between $2000 and $2500 I think.

I don't regret a cent of it, except the $55 of Rift which were a total waste of my money. But that's like 2.5% of my total so not a big deal.

My computer is better than yours.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

These days I look back in disgust but Ive spend a few thousand.

The weird thing is that the best times Ive had cost me no more than a subscription fee, but the last years of trying to find something fun to play (2008 - 2011) I frequently dropped 300euro's on a game I only played for a week or 2. 

2 things are the cause. 1 Games are shit so I tried to make it fun by spending money ( Didnt work ) and 2, I didn't really have anything else to do. 

Havn't spend a dime for at least a year now and my life is better than ever in case anyone is wondering. :P

Just want to add that I didn't even count box prices. Just the F2P cancer.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

The only non trivial amount spent has been Eve Online.  Two accounts for three years, so $1,080.

Sprinkled in there was a few months sub for City of Heroes and Vanguard.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Very little and none of it wasted. A few months worth of subs to LoTRO and SWTOR. TSW box in a Steam sale. Played a couple of F2Ps and dropped $0 on those. Over five years I've probably spent as much on MMOs as I spend in a month on other hobbies. 
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Maybe around $250, not all that much. GW2 isn't even the biggest part of that, but it sure is the best value for money so far.

imageimage
  • crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

~2 years of runescape sub (before they went full retard with the microtransactions) - 150$

GW2 - 60$ (still regretting it)

TSW box + sub until f2p + 2 DLCs - 180$

Wurm online - 40$ or so (probably the biggest surprise in those 5 years, chose a random MMO from the list and it was actually decent)

Runes of magic - around $110, no idea what state this game is in now, haven't seen any ads or threads, so I'm guessing mostly dead, was fun while it lasted though

DayZ - 25$ (for arma 2)

so around 500-600 give or take

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Naowut

Ive spend a few thousand.

same -- for me probably around 4 thousand

on EQ -alone- I spent around 2 thousand before WOW launched

I subbed to EQ with multiple accts for 5 years, including buying 8 expansions for my 3 accts

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I spend about $30-$40 a month on avg...so I guess about 2k ?

If I really want a jaw dropping price tag I'll work out how much I've spent on lunch in the last 5 years :/

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

I wish there was something to spend $ on...

For me was Aion + 2 months of sub then DCUO + 3 months of ($10 a month)  then returned to it when it became F2P, paid $20 for some DLC packages.

Biggest $ sink over the couple years, obvioslly World of Warcraft. Bought MOP, and $140 for yearly sub on and off, so I've sinked around $200 since MOP came. (Keep in mind with annual pass promo, where I got Diablo 3 for free)

So since November 28th (Aion release) to November 2013 = 5 full years I've spent total of $300-325 (Between Aion, DCUO and WOW) + another $50-70 (estimated if I've played WOW before that). $400-450 top, round it $500

$500 for 5 years, $100 a year playing the best of what's available out there. Not bad, but could've done better and there is a very big chance this is my last month of WOW monthly sub.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

Vendetta Online

Free download.

Premium Subscription (since Nov. 2008) - $479.97

Lite Sub (2nd acct, since Oct. 2013) - $1.98

Merchandise (Aquean Ore Carrier + Fleet Long Sleeve, Hunter Green) - $51.98

Total - $533.93

Unless you count the ticket I purchased to CTIA 2011 so I could meet the devs, which was an additional couple hundred including gasoline, probably, and the opportunity cost of devoting over a thousand hours to playing the game :-).

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

In the past 5 years? Not as much as I use to, not even close. I'm now only subbed to one game and one account at a time, 8 months out of the year. Skipped gaming most of last year. ~$500?

Hell, my rig is 5 years old. I use to stay up-to-date, but there's no reason to anymore.

Have you guys included costs for gaming rigs and hardware over the five years?

And no, I'm not burnt out. I have the money. I want to spend it on a good MMORPG. I want to build a new rig just for a MMORPG.

There just isn't any worth it.

**edit Oh yeah, I bought a few boxes/expansions and spent some money trying out "free" games. So maybe ~$1.1k total for 5 years. Still waaaay lower than the golden era and I was drinking $150 per night out back then too.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

• Age of Conan - $190 still play it and love it, totally worth it. Currently subbed.
    • Runes of Magic - $1,200  and so not worth it. I wish I had never laid eyes or a hand on that game, totally blown and wasn't fun in the end. Ended up giving the account to a friend as I just couldn't stomach the cost anymore. This game taught me alot on how to never spend money this foolishly ever again.
    • FFXIV:ARR - $50 subbed for one month after first free month and now i'm not playing till they roll in updates (pvp/housing), really good pve game and so far worth it though I still prefer AoC overall at this point, may change later.
    • FFXI - $12.99 subbed a month for nostalgia
    • Star Citizen - $45 future investment, can't wait to give it a go.
    • Asheron's Call $40 subbed four months, always worth it to go back when feel the need.
    • Tera - $80 bought a few things and just enjoy it from time to time, not my mainstay game, but worth it and fun to go back to.
    • Path of Exile - $30 Totally worth it, go to it when I want some ARPG.
    • EQ1/2/Wizardry/Vanguard/Dc Universe/Sony games - $100 Bought some stuff in each and pop in from time to time, but least played overall.
    • Rift - $40 Bought some stuff, don't like the way the gameplay is, deleted, wasted money imo.
    • Wurm Online - $20 was totally worth it, enjoyed it while I played but don't really play anymore as don't have enough time overall.
    • Firefall - $70 this was an initial investment that I think I regret, not sure yet, but it doesn't seem to be doing good. I have some cool items and stuff and have had a "little" fun. Great graphics, kinda boring though good concept.
    • SWTOR - $80 meh, don't play it anymore, too generic for my liking, just seems dead even when people are there. Wasn't really worth it.
    • SWG - $120 spent a bit before it died, spent more before then, pretty upset it closed down, still miss it. (i listed this seperate from Sony games as it deserves its own spot)
    • Star Trek Online - $80 i've bought some ships and other do-dads. I pop in from time to time as it is different and unique, not a main game for me though.
    • Darkfall - $30 bought it played it for a month, quit. Had fun when running in large groups, solo play was rough though, too rough and wasn't enjoyable enough to stay subbed (for me).
    • Eve Online - $40 played a few months had fun, quit, was gonna come back but they deleted my account so screw them, really made me mad.
    • Hellgate London $199 yes I bought a lifetime subscription also the last time I ever will, talk about a HUGE letdown, man I was bummed. Loved the game, was fun as could be, but man they closed the game 2 months after release, this left an impression on me as far as lifetime subs is concerned and why I will not touch Marvel Heroes as I am still fairly mad with Bill Roper. This is the worst mistake I have made next to Runes of Magic, though the game was actually quite better. Still...

Total: $2426.99

So yeah, lol, i've played alot all around and the majority has been worth it and I can definitely say i've experienced alot of different types, but now I just stick to a couple and lightly dabble in others (very lightly) as I have been bitten a couple of times and other than that it has been worth it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Braindome
    • Hellgate London $199 yes I bought a lifetime subscription

i made same mistake

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

$60 for Guild Wars 2, about half a year prior to its release, via a pre-purchase.

It ended up going as low as $45 from multiple e-tailers about a month from release.  ArenaNet/NCSoft basically said 'tough shit' and refused to do anything short of terminate my account refund me, which I obviously rejected.

I ended up quitting within the launch week because of how horrible their server stability was; so did quite a few of my friends.  I went back later and played on and off since then, but the launch issues really ruined  the game for me.

I have not spent money on another MMO otherwise; F2P all the way ever since I quit WoW prior to TBC's release (I did go back over the years via free game time, but that's been it).  For comparison, my friend still spends $15/mo to grind and grind and grind away in WoW and no matter what i do to try and get him to quit, he just somehow refuses and tries to defend the game.  To think he even quit in the first place..  (went back after MoP's relese)

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

A lot.  lol.

Oh you mean just ON mmos?  Not IN mmos?  (Item shops, or whatever "shop" you want to call it.)

More than I want to know, but probably less than $300 for subs/game price/itemshop.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Shit!!!!

Probably thousands. Not even going to try to figure it out. It will only make me depressed.