Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could WOW be the best mmo ever?

Comments

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

OP "best" is subjective. I'm surprised you don't know this by now. What is best to you (food, Movie, book etc) may be utter garbag to the majority. So why is it you believe that what you think is true for all? try thinking outside of your own personal opinion and beliefs once in awhile, I think you'll find you grow from the experience.

Point I played WoW for a least a year when it first came out. I've seen how they have dumbed it down removing even illusion of choice, made it so "casual friendly" that a monkey could play it. Thus to me it offers no challenge and is uninteresting. Do I believe my view means WoWs the worst MMO ever? No my opinion is no more right or wrong then yours, but if we want to look at cold hard facts WoW's player base is shrinking instead of growing or staying steady this would seem to mean they are either doing something wrong or other MMOs are doing something better then them.

• obsolete5obsolete5 Member Posts: 82
    while best is subjective different subcultures or even tiers of society tend to come to agreements on what things are best as well as purely individual likes and dislikes.  like you know, some peope like operas and beethoven and whatnot.  i would speculate that WoW is a bit like the NFL.  great for the masses but ill wait for the rugby world cup.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Population wise WoW are the best mmo's whether you like the game or not. But with the linear quest system of cata and the death of PvE in MoP you have to wonder why people are still playing. I made marshal? before they changed pvp and it's on my record as an achievement "feat of strength" since I have 0 arena records on my main. Anyways I'm pretty sure it's noteworthy in some kind of record book whether you like the game or not. What's the next best game (population wise)? Runescape?

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

I definitely think WoW is the best MMO ever.

But more specifically, I think WotLK WoW is the best MMO ever.

Everything after that was just heeer-duurr.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    For me, it's ONE OF the best ever.  Up there with FFXI, Lotro, and now FFXIV for me.  It has a lot that really pulls me in and keeps me wanting more.  Yet...it tends to take forever to patch and add content and it still hasn't grasped the concept of how housing, collections and alternate advancement works in other games for me to give it the vaunted BEST EVER spot.  Hence why I play the other games.  Still a great MMO though and one I'll gladly come back to when my time in other worlds runs it's course.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    no
  • eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by Dontneed

Wow is the pioneer MMO that first and last, stopped the evolution of MMORPG games and caused themepark overflow of current era. WoW mingled and mixed and copied all kind of ok features of MMORPGs of that time, and created mass hallunation to many players that minging mixing copying all kinds of accepted features made things better. 

And since then, all MMORPG games are just as same as this game, called 'World of Warcraft', which anyone with healthy sense can play no more than 4~5 months. 

Mass hallunation, which anyone with healthy sense can play no more than 4~5 months. Pretty insulting descriptions of people who have enjoyed WOW for years. I been in mmos since 1996 with Meridian 59 I have played many mmos and put years into some. I have been in WOW since release I neither suffer from hallucinations or have an unhealthy understanding of  mmo game play. I used the words understanding and hallucination because not exactly sure what you mean by "hallunation" or "healthy sense" but I think I get the gist of what you were trying to communicate.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by eccoton
    Originally posted by Dontneed

Wow is the pioneer MMO that first and last, stopped the evolution of MMORPG games and caused themepark overflow of current era. WoW mingled and mixed and copied all kind of ok features of MMORPGs of that time, and created mass hallunation to many players that minging mixing copying all kinds of accepted features made things better. 

And since then, all MMORPG games are just as same as this game, called 'World of Warcraft', which anyone with healthy sense can play no more than 4~5 months. 

Mass hallunation, which anyone with healthy sense can play no more than 4~5 months. Pretty insulting descriptions of people who have enjoyed WOW for years. I been in mmos since 1996 with Meridian 59 I have played many mmos and put years into some. I have been in WOW since release I neither suffer from hallucinations or have an unhealthy understanding of  mmo game play. I used the words understanding and hallucination because not exactly sure what you mean by "hallunation" or "healthy sense" but I think I get the gist of what you were trying to communicate.

I do agree with your answer. I always wonder why WoW haters  ALWAYS resort to insulting other players of the game and act as if the game is a piece of shit.

WoW's success simply can't be denied over the last 9 years. It will be the first single game with a 10 billion dollars total revenue. If that makes you vomit, ok, no problem, but its success is there. And all that money was paid by human beings.

MMO's are no longer hot these days. That's not the fault of WoW, but mostly by the very mediocre competition which wanted a part of the money bag at all costs. Furthermore, people are more into faster, casual and shorter playing sessions these days. 

Hearthstone alone will bring in more money than any new MMORPG in the coming 5 years.

Perhaps the haters can now go into trash talking card games.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

WoW was my favorite mmo for a few reasons.
    It came out at a perfect time, people were bored of UO/EQ and wanted to try something new.

Warcraft RTS games were awesome and had insane popularity so when World of Warcraft came out ALOT of people wanted to check it out.

The UI feel is still unmatched, whatever mmo i played still does not match the response and feel of WoW's 10 year old press and action feel.
    Rift for example feels so clunky and unpersonal compared to wow's.

And lets be honest WoW's raid enviroment is still king of kings.
    Combine all this and you had one hell of a mmo.

To bad Ghostcrawler took over and ruined the whole game.
    When that man took over the whole game took a dive into the toilet, from raids / story / questing / pvp balance / pve balance class changes you name it and it he destroyed it.

But that doesnt take away that from 2004/2009 WoW was unmatched in any devision.
    I still have great memory's and i am still looking for a "wow replacement" that can match the Vanila / TBC feeling.

So untill now for me WoW is king even tough i wont ever touch it again after it being dumbed down for monkeys and ADHD kids.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Wow could have been much much bigger if Vivendi didn't suck the life out of it.

Just imagine what kind of mmo a few billion dollars of development would have produced.......We would have had several more expansions...a complete graphics overhaul...Pandaria never would have happened.

I put it up there with the greatest MMO's ever developed. But not ahead of FFXI.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

WoW is old news. That's like saying counterstrike is the best FPS ever. It sure was, and for some nostalgics it still is, but it's old.

Move on from a game with phone graphics and gameplay that hasn't changed in 6 years.

GW2 is better than WoW in every way (if you're above the age of 12), even the PVE. Lot more to do, and more skill involved.

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by lickm3

OP - tl;dr

WoW could be good/best mmo ever If blizzard didn't fucked it so hard and make the end-game so easy and gear is too cheap to get. I miss vanila/bc when you had to farm for rank 14 in pvp so long, same goes for gear etc. Now all those casual scrubs who couldn't sit 24/7 at pc cried and blizzard prefered more money instead of a better game.

so, i take it you got HC clear then by now?

as said before, LFR is NOT the endcontent. uh and for the record, rank 14 was exploited back in the days. you could only get it if you had your buddies to cheat with.

and i played GW2, it's a fun and quick mmo... but surely not better than wow. sorry to burst your bubble.

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

I think the best ever MMORPG hasn't released yet, however, at the same time, not terribly far off in the distance. The devs are getting closer and closer to what would be considered "unbeatable," but are still missing the mark in the important facets of a good MMORPG.

Now, which game to date do I think has had the most overall potential? Vanguard, but not by a real long shot because of games like AoC, Rift, and GW2, but good enough to be a safe #1.

Isaiah 41:10
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Speaking for me, I hope not. I still hope against all hope for a better MMORPG, but the future is not looking too bright.

That being said, Pre-Cata WoW was certainly a very good MMORPG for me, personally. Following City of Heroes as the best I've played yet, possibly the second best one.

It took some getting used to, but once I decided I could laugh at/with the game and have light hearted fun in an MMORPG, I enjoyed their tongue-in-cheek quests and "modern day" references. I enjoyed rolling up characters of every race and class and checking them out. Almost every one had their own racial starting areas, and I really did not start duplicating areas until level 60. Then I would roll up another character :) I even enjoyed how they presented the very much instanced Death Knight class. I met a lot of like minded people who played back then and in my Guild of about 100 players (all Druids), only one was hell bent on raiding, much to his chagrin :) Our sister Guild, made up of all our non-Druid alts, became the raid focused guild.

Then, after Cata, WoW changed. My all Druid Guild was gutted by their new Guild Perks that wanted diversity. Gone were the cool class quests, like Druid's shape changing quests and Hunter's taming quests. Suddenly, everything was handed to every player as soon as they hit the right level. When I finally quit, my 85 Night Elf Druid was seeking that blasted Dragon Form thingie from the Archaeology craft. I gave up after reading how slim that possibility was. I was going to be the ultimate shape shifter! lol

World of Warcraft was a good game, maybe even a great game. Best ever? I hope not. There is a lot of room for improvement in my opinion :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by avgwhtguy069
    Someone please tell me the OP is joking with this question.  The best gamer ever when it copied everquest, added nothing to the genre and is basically a botfest with 12 yrs olds playing on mommy and daddys credit card. LOL!  Thanks for that laugh, haven't laughed that hard in a long time!BTW if any of you think wow is a good game in ANY form of the word, play something that actually counts as good then rethink your comparison.
    Could you hopefully tell me which games are "good?" Apparently, I am too stupid/immature to know which are which.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

My MMO expirience goes really far back.  Played Neverwinter Nights on AoL way back in 1991.  Before that I played text based games.  And been playing games since before I could remember.  I've played pretty much every MMO between then until now.

This year WoW eclipsed what I thought would never happen.  I have played WoW longer than any other MMO, beating out DAoC.  I played DAoC for 8 years, and WoW since launch.  Now I wouldn't say that makes it the best MMO ever.  It has to be said though, that it's up there.  If I had to pick personally it would still be DAoC.  Some of my best memories come from DAoC, but I have tons from WoW as well.  WoW is probably second or third (behind Neverwinter Nights (but that might be rose-colored glasses hehe)).

I have to mention that one of the reasons I've stuck with WoW for so long is because since it was launch there just hasn't been anything better to play.  For a while there, you had everyone trying to steal the WoW model.  The only other games that I actually played along side WoW was DAoC (8 years), FFXI (5 years), Rift (um since launch until it went F2P), and Neverwinter (the new one, played for 3 months).  Almost all other MMOs after WoW, I would play for the first free month, or in the case of some F2P not even a month.

Someone please tell me the OP is joking with this question.  The best gamer ever when it copied everquest, added nothing to the genre and is basically a botfest with 12 yrs olds playing on mommy and daddys credit card. LOL!  Thanks for that laugh, haven't laughed that hard in a long time!

BTW if any of you think wow is a good game in ANY form of the word, play something that actually counts as good then rethink your comparison.

Looks to me like you just read the thread title and not my post. It was no joke, it was a post to tell a personnel story and a realization WOW was a bit more then a game to me. This lead to a discussion on WOW merits from a variety of different points of view. You are very mistaken about many aspects of WOW. WOW is not a bot fest of 12 year olds playing with mommy's credit card? I am a guild made of mostly player over 25 and we have almost 200 active members. I am a 53 year old college art professor. There is a very large population of older experienced, knowledgeable players in WOW. The idea WOW is only filled with kids is so far from the reality I doubt those who say this even play.

WOW copied Everquest? I played EQ and 8 years in EQ2 while playing WOW because I found them to be very different experiences, they have familiar activities but they are very different. Since you are so in the know then you must realize if WOW is accused of coping a games format  it would be closer to Asheron's call then Everquest. You say play a game that counts what would your suggestion be? I have played mmos since 1996 with Meridian 59 and have play all major title and most lesser ones too. Mmos are my passion so I consider myself in the know and have a very good understanding of WOWs place in the genre. Yup I think WOW is very good in many forms. I am also glad you had a good laugh and enjoyed my post. 

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Someone please tell me the OP is joking with this question.  The best gamer ever when it copied everquest, added nothing to the genre and is basically a botfest with 12 yrs olds playing on mommy and daddys credit card. LOL!  Thanks for that laugh, haven't laughed that hard in a long time!

BTW if any of you think wow is a good game in ANY form of the word, play something that actually counts as good then rethink your comparison.

Could you hopefully tell me which games are "good?" Apparently, I am too stupid/immature to know which are which.

I'm stupider and more immature then you! However, I am really good looking so it all balances out.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Might be the best pve mmo, though I personally prefer the pve of early EQ and early daoc.

But its a long way off being the best mmo for pvp.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    It clearly is the most successful MMO. In terms of best as has already been pointed out that's subjective. I thought this was quite obvious so don't understand why people decided to argue on this point. The OP was asking for opinions..

For me wow is the best mmo ever. The game has something which none of the other mmos I played have - an amazing and unique atmosphere. When I started playing wow everything felt epic - the music was majestic, the art was extraordinary and the lore is amazing. The game changed the way mmos are played. EQ was extremely grindy and repetitive with the main focus on killing mobs. The game didn't have many quests. It took ages to do anything and it felt like the game was trying to waste your time on purpose with unnecessary time sinks. Wow made the whole experience magical and fun. Wow striked the perfect balance between time sinks and fun factor. I was never bored during the levelling process in wow on my first THREE classes.

This is what mmos can't copy from wow - its amazing atmosphere and sense of episodes of adventure.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by fivoroth
    It clearly is the most successful MMO. In terms of best as has already been pointed out that's subjective. I thought this was quite obvious so don't understand why people decided to argue on this point. The OP was asking for opinions..

For me wow is the best mmo ever. The game has something which none of the other mmos I played have - an amazing and unique atmosphere. When I started playing wow everything felt epic - the music was majestic, the art was extraordinary and the lore is amazing. The game changed the way mmos are played. EQ was extremely grindy and repetitive with the main focus on killing mobs. The game didn't have many quests. It took ages to do anything and it felt like the game was trying to waste your time on purpose with unnecessary time sinks. Wow made the whole experience magical and fun. Wow striked the perfect balance between time sinks and fun factor. I was never bored during the levelling process in wow on my first THREE classes.

This is what mmos can't copy from wow - its amazing atmosphere and sense of episodes of adventure.

Well said, I love WOW for similar reasons. It was the balance of the whole project from gameplay to art style, WOW just feels epic. Graphic are important but sound design is also. WOW has some of the best sound effects and music in any game not only mmos. Blizzard created a wonderful piece of artwork that even after 8 years I still find fascinating. So many people only play WOW as a game to beat like a big console game. Those players will never understand why someone like me feels it is "one" of the best ever mmos. I allow myself to get immersed by the whole experience so it becomes a living world to explore. You can not get someone to see or appreciate that, they either do or do not.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

For me it's the best MMO ever.  It gave us great PVE and PVP with smooth combat.  It supported soloing and scheduled raids/pvp.  Nice smooth engine that runs on old machines.

EQ had too much waiting.  UO just wasn't my thing.  I never played AC or DAOC.  I am curious about DAOC pvp, but frankly MMO pvp was never as fun as pvp in other genres for me.  And so if I was mainly focused on PVP I'd stick with FPS games.

WOW has been dumbed down.  I really missed the old AV when they streamlined it.  But I gave up on scheduling my life for a game a VERY long time ago.  So it doesn't bother me too much.  I only play WOW a few months a year, but it's always rewarding.

The only area they completely ignored was sandbox elements.  they definitely could have incorporated a lot more of these types of elements into the game.  With all the cash they pulled in. it was greedy for them not to try to cater to those fans as well.  My guess is it was against their philosophy of having players together in hubs rather than in their own houses and such.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

'Could' it be the greatest MMO ever? Well in some people eyes i guess it could be, for my part i have to say that it is the only MMO that has kept me interested for a very long time.

I have enjoyed others and some that hold a place in my memory forever will be Earth & Beyond, AO and EVE, all of which i enjoyed immensely, but apart from E&B which was cruelly taken from us in it's prime, the others just couldn't hold on to my interest for an extended period. I have played others along the way, but nothing has captured my imagination quite as much as WoW since 'Dungeon Master' on the Atari ST.

Most of it may be that i haven't really been a raider since BC, i am not a big dungeon runner but i do love questing, levelling, rep building and even a spot of quiet fishing from time to time. I am pretty much a casual player these days, so again, that may be the reason why it suits me better than some.

For me it is the best MMO of it's time, was it unique, of course it wasn't, but it took some of the best of others and improved on them, it dragged MMO's into the mainstream of gaming which i know some will see as a bad thing, but it opened up that player base to plenty of other MMO's as well. In it's time it has to have turned over 20Mill+ players for various lengths of time, some will have loved it and stayed, but some will not and moved on to other games that suited them better which has to be good for the industry as a whole.

Best MMO ever? I think the jury will be out on that one for a long time as there is more to come from this industry yet, but which ever way you cut it, it would have to be one of the top contenders.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Not for everybody, but it sure is the most popular.

imageimage
  • Rikus25Rikus25 Member Posts: 82

This of course is just my opinion but I would say it is the most successful MMO and I am not sure anything will ever make the kind of money WoW has but from a gameplay standpoint I don't think its the best MMO. Like I said its just my opinion. There are many great gameplay MMO's.

Dark age of Camelot

Everquest 

Everquest II

Eve

Final Fantasy RR

This is just to name some but best MMO gameplay could go on and I am not sure WoW would make my list of best MMO based on that. Even though I played WoW for 5 years. It was fun but not the best to me.