Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Blizzard Trademarks "Warlords of Draenor"

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

A new trademark filing has surfaced by Blizzard in New Zealand and Australia. "Warlords of Draenor" drops hints at a new expansion or at least something Warcraft-themed. Filed on November 1st, we'll likely know more details when whatever Blizzard's working on is revealed during BlizzCon this weekend.

From Polygon's report on the story:

The trademark, which was filed on Nov. 1, covers "Computer game software, computer game discs, downloadable computer game software, computer game software downloadable from a global computer network, interactive multimedia computer game program; downloadable electronic game software for use on portable electronic devices such as mobile and cellular phones, laptops, handheld computers, and tablet PCs."

The usage listing also hints at connection to an online service: "Entertainment services, namely, providing on-line computer games; providing on-line non-downloadable computer games that may be accessed via a global computer network; providing online news and information in the field of computer games."

Additionally, the website WarlordsofDraenor.com was registered in October, though it currently remains empty and a WhoIs search reveals it was registered under domain company GoDaddy.

Keep your eyes on the site for news from BlizzCon as it happens this weekend.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Draenor was destroyed, what's left of it is the Outlands - which we've been to.

The warlords who destroyed Draenor were the Orcs.

All the demons who corrupted the orcs into destroying Draenor are already dead.

I am guessing this trademark is a distraction.

Otherwise the lore for this expansion is going to be coming from WAAAAAYYYY out of left field - i.e. make no sense/ continuity or a complete ret-con.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Otherwise the lore for this expansion is going to be coming from WAAAAAYYYY out of left field - i.e. make no sense/ continuity or a complete ret-con.

Well what is left out there then? old gods and the burning legion? its abit too soon too knock on the burning legions doorstep so cant say we have not seen this comming.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Rumors say there will be time travel... But, we'll see in 4 days!
  • MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191

Funny thing is, a couple of weeks back, a poster on mmo-champ made a post stating that he knew someone within blizzard, and that the next wow xpac would be called Warlords of Dreanor (along with a few more details).

People crapped on him as just another random poster claiming "inside knowledge"...until this....people are apologizing to him left and right lol.

Now to the point. in that dude's "inside knowledge" post, he stated that the xpac would featuer heavy time travel, and that grom would be the end boss. That would somewhat make it work alright. People have been asking for a return to outlands for years now, this is Blizz trying to shoehorn lore into their fans demands i guess, whouch could work quite well if done right.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

featuer heavy time travel,...

geesh!!!

if thats teh case,  guess ill be doin heavy time travellin myself- re-activating to play this game again for some Dreniae lore!

hmmm

would be nice to see Blizz redemption!

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    Originally posted by deniromonk

Funny thing is, a couple of weeks back, a poster on mmo-champ made a post stating that he knew someone within blizzard, and that the next wow xpac would be called Warlords of Dreanor (along with a few more details).

People crapped on him as just another random poster claiming "inside knowledge"...until this....people are apologizing to him left and right lol.

Now to the point. in that dude's "inside knowledge" post, he stated that the xpac would featuer heavy time travel, and that grom would be the end boss. That would somewhat make it work alright. People have been asking for a return to outlands for years now, this is Blizz trying to shoehorn lore into their fans demands i guess, whouch could work quite well if done right.

Grom Hellscream!? Why Grom Hellscream?

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

MMORPG.com:

Posting stories four days after they became public knowledge and fans have had a chance to read them elsewhere, and then calling it "news".

Too busy posting opinion columns about why you personally can't get into certain games, rather than posting the news when it's actually current still...

It's really getting old, and has become a habit that news is no longer news by the time it gets featured here. Professionalism is non-existent here and it shows every single time this scenario repeats itself (and it does, commonly, I'm sorry to say).

You guys need to pull your socks up and get back to basics.

Originally posted by Kost

MMORPG.com:

Posting stories four days after they became public knowledge and fans have had a chance to read them elsewhere, and then calling it "news".

Too busy posting opinion columns about why you personally can't get into certain games, rather than posting the news when it's actually current still...

It's really getting old, and has become a habit that news is no longer news by the time it gets featured here. Professionalism is non-existent here and it shows every single time this scenario repeats itself (and it does, commonly, I'm sorry to say).

You guys need to pull your socks up and get back to basics.

stop trolling.

- maybe because they are pretty busy getting actual game (Trion-EQ2-TSW- etc etc) developers here to do Q&As for  the readers...

guys,  give the writers a break!

• ZergyZergy Member UncommonPosts: 73

The name sounds more like an add-on for Hearthstone, sure the game isn't even out yet, but it's never too early to register a name.

And would be kinda weird if we go back in time to Warcraft 2, considering we just got over the Horde  trying to conquer the world and kill everyone else. And since the ones that are left rebeled against it, I wouldn't see why they'd want to go back in time to try again.

One thing I could think of is blizz making it possible to group between factions and the Horde players passing as that tribe that allied with the Alliance in the Warcraft 2 expansion, other than that, no idea how it would work.

Guess we'll find out at Blizzcon.

[mod edit]
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Deathwing was way out of left field. 

An expansion devoted to Pandaren was out of left field as well.

Returning to  deal with the burning legion makes sense but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Only person who ensalved the orcs was mannaroth, as for problems from the BL, we didnt kill Kil'Jeaden we just pushed him back. We havent even seen a titan and last i checked Sargairus Leads the Burning Legion so im sure they have plenty to work with for a title called Warlords of Dreanor.

Oh also outlands wasnt the only thing left of dreanor it was just the part with a dark portal.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    you could tell that was fake because they say last patch till Dec '14 is the current one....Blizzard had never gone that long.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by xeniar

Well what is left out there then? old gods and the burning legion? its abit too soon too knock on the burning legions doorstep so cant say we have not seen this comming.

Whatever they bring to life I will be happy. .-) Barely waiting info for some new expansion. Wow and Swtor are only games I have no problem imagine to play even after 10 and more years.

• vinterdrakenvinterdraken Member Posts: 2
    Unless its yet another name for the blizzard MOBA after the latest naming issues.
  • MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226

WoW uses "time travel story elements" alot. It wouldn't be surprising if they "leaned" on it for an expac.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Caverns_of_Time

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

They've already jumped the shark with Pandas in the game.....The lore probably wont make alot of sense from this point on.....Probably be like EQ where they just crank out content for the sake of content

• headbanzheadbanz Member Posts: 11
    New expansion huh? Seems nice.

"The light shall bring victory!"

• opiekopiek Member Posts: 4
    that would be nice update