Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hype Meter Manipulation??

WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

PLEASE NOTE: Manipulation of the hype-meter will result in the reset and disabling of this game's ratings. Examples of manipulation include (but are not limited to): creating multiple accounts in order to drive up the rating, developers encouraging fans to vote the rating to a specific number, and the offering of incentives for fans to vote up the rating (such as in-game rewards).

It's one thing to have a game with high hype. It's another for every single other game on the top of the list to go down by a whole point....

Edit: I apologize for the false assumption. As pointed out by BillMurphy, it turns out the hype meter is adjusted based on a curve multiplier and that is what caused all the scores to plummet when Life is Feudal got a really high rating.

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Here you are, folks.  :)

http://www.mmorpg.com/faq.cfm/showFaq/15/The-scores-on-the-game-list-all-just-drastically-changed-what-is-happening.html

--------------------------------------------

Comments

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    first world problems
  • HalldorHalldor Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by crasset15
    first world problems

So what the fuck are you doing on videogames forums?

• Holst86Holst86 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    first world problems

This is a page for mmo's?

--

Back on topic, yea I think the hype meter should be closed or alteast monitored by the mmorpg crew since as it is now it is getting manipulated by less than average games.

Really pathetic by the game developers to hype your own game to get more attention, but what could you expect from these kind of developers.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663
  • CarcinomaCarcinoma Member Posts: 19
    Something strange hapening, mmorpg got hacked?
  • TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

Holy crap, deja vu. OP, you made a similar thread about Destiny not long ago. And the timing between the meter changes and the threads going up of both . . .

Hmm . . . image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

IT is easy to explain new games having a high rating, I cast my hype and their were only 20 votes for this and another title....What doesn't make sense is that titles, like EQN have been sitting at 8.59-8.60 for a long time, and all of a sudden it loses like 1.3 points, and you said others did....That is whats odd to me.  New titles jump high all the time, as the only people voting usually when they first hit are those that follow the title.

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872

Wow i just checked the meter and there is something fishy going on. How did EqNext drop to 7 and Archeage bottom out in the sixes?

So how do you manipulate the meter by making tons of accounts?

• Holst86Holst86 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by TheBigDRC

Holy crap, deja vu. OP, you made a similar thread about Destiny not long ago. And the timing between the meter changes and the threads going up of both . . .

Hmm . . . image

What are you suspicious about?

The guys is probably just observant :) And besides the hype is being and have been manipulated for quite some while now and the people at mmorpg doesent seems to care(?).

They should either close it since it gives a missleading false hypelist or just make precautions so that lowlife developers doesn't hype their games.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Wellspring

PLEASE NOTE: Manipulation of the hype-meter will result in the reset and disabling of this game's ratings. Examples of manipulation include (but are not limited to): creating multiple accounts in order to drive up the rating, developers encouraging fans to vote the rating to a specific number, and the offering of incentives for fans to vote up the rating (such as in-game rewards).

It's one thing to have a game with high hype. It's another for every single other game on the top of the list to go down by a whole point....

It's called market manipulation.

For some players this is a big deal as they can't think for themselves and have to trust hype meters to tell them what's good for them.  Developers love that kind of human; they label them as 'the cash cow'.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Holst86
    Originally posted by TheBigDRC

Hmm . . . image

What are you suspicious about?

The guys is probably just observant :) And besides the hype is being and have been manipulated for quite some while now and the people at mmorpg doesent seems to care(?).

They should either close it since it gives a missleading false hypelist or just make precautions so that lowlife developers doesn't hype their games.

Bah, I'm always suspicious, it's in my nature. >.>

I know the hype for a new game on this site goes nuts once listed, I'd just like to know how it effects the other meters. One new game and the others go down a peg or two? That part I find curious.

But yeah, nothing new. Still fun though.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    first world problems

--

Back on topic, yea I think the hype meter should be closed or alteast monitored by the mmorpg crew since as it is now it is getting manipulated by less than average games.

Really pathetic by the game developers to hype your own game to get more attention, but what could you expect from these kind of developers.

It's not the games. It's mmorpg. I'm pretty sure it's part of an advertising package.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    Originally posted by bcbully
    first world problems

--

It's not the games. It's mmorpg. I'm pretty sure it's part of an advertising package.

So what you are saying is that they can by advos that bump up the games hype? I guess that would make sense I still dont understand how EQN can plummit so much.

Originally posted by Xthos

IT is easy to explain new games having a high rating, I cast my hype and their were only 20 votes for this and another title....What doesn't make sense is that titles, like EQN have been sitting at 8.59-8.60 for a long time, and all of a sudden it loses like 1.3 points, and you said others did....That is whats odd to me.  New titles jump high all the time, as the only people voting usually when they first hit are those that follow the title.

Yeah it was the same with all top 5 , they suddenly lost 1-2 points and then get around half back, i observed archeage it was around 8 than 6.40 than again 7.40 and all these changes within an hour. Smells like fish to me. 

• En_DotterEn_Dotter Member Posts: 1

I dont get it. You guys accuse LiF of manipulating and yet you didnt bother to see the excitement on players faces when they 1st watched the video. I know that everyone that i have shown this alpha footage trailer was like "WOW! THIS IS AMAZING!", and by everyone i mean even those ppl that do not play video games (including my girlfriend who hates it when i play "retarder and pointless" cRPG and Strategus). Last time i saw the vote count it was on 26, which is not even enough for statistical analasys. This game will get max hype vote from me as soon as i get the voting power. You know why? Because there is no way i could vote over the max hype level.

If any game should get max hype then it should be this one.

Indie crew is going to develop possibly the gaming history changing game and you dare to accuse them of manipulation... Some people are so low they can only attract attention by talking rubbish about something they have no clue about.

Be glad its hyped this much because this will be one of the greatest games in the history.

Its understandable that new games get high hype, what is strange why all others titles hype flactuates so unrealistic.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Ah, that what happened. interesting algorithm.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by En_Dotter

I dont get it. You guys accuse LiF of manipulating and yet you didnt bother to see the excitement on players faces when they 1st watched the video. I know that everyone that i have shown this alpha footage trailer was like "WOW! THIS IS AMAZING!", and by everyone i mean even those ppl that do not play video games (including my girlfriend who hates it when i play "retarder and pointless" cRPG and Strategus). Last time i saw the vote count it was on 26, which is not even enough for statistical analasys. This game will get max hype vote from me as soon as i get the voting power. You know why? Because there is no way i could vote over the max hype level.

If any game should get max hype then it should be this one.

Indie crew is going to develop possibly the gaming history changing game and you dare to accuse them of manipulation... Some people are so low they can only attract attention by talking rubbish about something they have no clue about.

Be glad its hyped this much because this will be one of the greatest games in the history.

LOL and yet this amazing "one of the greatest games in history" has raised a whopping 1% of it's crowd funding goal. You are very bad at astroturfing but very good of killing off any small thought I had of donating to this game Mr. 1 post person. If you are so immature and desperate to use these tactics why would any sane person trust you with their money?

Thanks for the literal laugh out loud moment though...Your post is great comedy if nothing else.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Here you are, folks.  :)

http://www.mmorpg.com/faq.cfm/showFaq/15/The-scores-on-the-game-list-all-just-drastically-changed-what-is-happening.html

Hey, thanks for clearing that up. That's good to know.

--------------------------------------------
  • HobbesG2HobbesG2 Member Posts: 1

I recently started playing in the Life is Feudal closed alpha. It's a little rough because it's alpha obviously, but I'm really impressed with a number of core features, including music, physics, and the sheer complexity of the PVP maping systems. it's not completely as unbridled as people think. You still have safe zones to idle and hoard your belongings in, private storage systems, and when you leave your private zone, you don't bring all of your finest most expensive gear with you, you just bring what you need for your task. if you're farming, you bring your farming tools, if you're going to war, you put on your best armor and take it to the sheets. 

Also, cut it out with the animosity I'm hearing here, it really paints a rotten picture to new folks like me who are just trying to learn about new games and share experiences of our own. 

Cheers!

• ProtuniaProtunia Member Posts: 111

Ok this is trolling in a way and I have reported it as such because it basically has nothing to do with LiF at all and is accusing members of the site of cheating this hype system they have,  I have reported this post and asked for it to be removed since it has nothing to do with LiF period and is someone elses delusions about MMORPG's hype meter after the site started messing with the numbers to change the way the hype meter is used.

Here is the post the site has made about what THEY did to make the hype meter change.

The scores on the game list all just drastically changed, what is happening?

We use a curving system to generate our game ranks (only for released games). Because the natural scores of our games tend to range in the 4.5-6.5 range we utilize a positive only curve for our game scores that adds to every score, but more to the games with naturally higher scores. This allows the games to stay in the same relationship and ranking with each other while giving the scores more depth and spread. The curve derives its multiplier based on how far below a "perfect 10" the number 1 game currently is. When a new game just comes out and it is getting a very high natural score, this shrinks the curve multiplier, causing every game on our list to fall in score (although they are still higher than their natural score is).

The exact formula we use for this curve is shown below:

Assume we have the following sample games. Their "natural" scores are shown here (the exact average of users scores)

• Super Ninjas II 6.5
    • Dead Quest - 5.5
    • MMO Junkyard - 2.5
    • Zombie Hunters - 4.3
    • Buggy Assault - 5.0

STEP 1: Determine the highest game score in the list. This would be "Super Ninjas II" which has a 6.5 score.

STEP 2: Find the value half way between a perfect 10 and the top rated game. This would be 10 minus 6.5 divided by 2 then add 6.5 or ((10 - 6.5)/2) + 6.5. This value is 8.25.

STEP 3: Now find the value that you would have to multiply the #1 game by to reach this magic 8.5 number. The formula for this is 8.5 divided by 6.5 or 8.5/6.5 - which is 1.30769. This is our curve mulitplier.

STEP 4: Lastly, you multiply every score by the curve multiplier (1.30769). This means that games with larger natural scores will get a bigger boost that those with naturally lower scores.

Using the above steps our list now becomes this (also now sorted from high to low):

• Super Ninjas II 8.5 (increased 2.0)
    • Dead Quest - 7.2 (increased 1.7)
    • Buggy Assault - 6.5 (increased 1.5)
    • Zombie Hunters - 5.6 (increased 1.3)
    • MMO Junkyard - 3.3 (increased 0.8)

As you can see, the above list ends up being a lot funner to look at that the first one. The scores are spread further apart, while no game is penalized (in fact, all get some kind of increase from the curve). However, getting to the answer to the original question of "Why do all the scores crash all at once?!".

What happens is a new game releases and gets a fresh start on our list. There is a lot of excitement and fans are giving the game really good natural scores. This will typically produce a game with a much higher natural score than the rest of the pack. Let's use the very top list as a reference. Now, let's suppose that "Demongate Cincinatti" hits store shelves and MMORPG.com users are giving it a 8.5 natural score within the first few days of release. Our list would start like this:

• Super Ninjas II 6.5
    • Dead Quest - 5.5
    • MMO Junkyard - 2.5
    • Zombie Hunters - 4.3
    • Buggy Assault - 5.0
    • Demongate Cincinnati - 8.5

Using the curve algorythm shown above we would now get our curve multiplier from ((10-8.5)/2) + 8.5 = 9.25 (new top score) which reduces the multiplier to 1.08823. This will drastically change the new scores. See below:

• Demongate Cincinnati - 9.3 (increased 0.8)
    • Super Ninjas II 7.1 (increased 0.6)
    • Dead Quest - 6.0 (increased 0.5)
    • Buggy Assault - 5.4 (increased 0.4)
    • Zombie Hunters - 4.7 (increased 0.4)
    • MMO Junkyard - 2.7 (increased 0.2)

And just like that, one game completely changes the scores on the entire list. Now, normally shortly after a new game launches things will settle down and the scores will stabilize. It is just important to remember that no matter what, the score you see is actually higher than the real score of the game...so for fans angry that their favorite MMORPG just lost half a point, remember that without this curve the score would be even lower ;-)

This discussion has been closed.