Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New MMO Brad McQuaid is working on

2»

Comments

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

I for one believe Everquest was a masterpiece during the first years until Luclin. I also believe yes Vanguard has performance issues and bugs but those aside it was a fantastic fantasy world. Brad has already reflected on the errors of his way and I am sure learned a lot from that experience.

I for one wish Brad the best and look forward to seeing his future work. The man has a wonderful imagination and is very creative. I think he knows this and where his weaknesses are. We are all not strong at everything. 

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

L.O.L.

Fools and their money are easily parted.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by azarhal
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by teddyboy420
    This is interesting b/c last I heard Brad was @ SoE again working on the EQ2 and/or EQNext team(s). Wonder what happened there.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/10/brad-mcquaid-working-on-secret-mmo-since-leaving-soe/

Going by that article, I have the impression that SOE is going to end up "publishing" this MMO (if it ever release). Brad pushed his idea to Smedley who was excited about it.

Thats not exactly bad news.   SoE certainly doesnt have the money to support the project, but they have the technical ability to publish it.  This will free up most of the money to go directly into development

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Seems to me that jeff butler copped none of the blame for vanguard. Teflon butler they should call that guy.
  • funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     I thought vanguard had a ton of potential.  Sure it didn't turn out well, but I would take Vanguard as it is over 95% of mmo's on the market today.   If it had been finished it may have been a great game. Sure there are naysayers and I would not blindly throw money at him, but I am definitely interested in a game that he is involved with making.  I am interested in a very difficult open world game where grouping is the best way to experience the game.  Add in a huge world that is difficult to cross without porting and I am very interested.
  • HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Originally posted by funyahns
     I thought vanguard had a ton of potential.  Sure it didn't turn out well, but I would take Vanguard as it is over 95% of mmo's on the market today.   If it had been finished it may have been a great game. Sure there are naysayers and I would not blindly throw money at him, but I am definitely interested in a game that he is involved with making.  I am interested in a very difficult open world game where grouping is the best way to experience the game.  Add in a huge world that is difficult to cross without porting and I am very interested.

I for one right now actually AM taking it over 95% of what's on the market. I hadn't really thought about it until you posted that, but I'm playing a dead game (SWGEmu...) and what is heralded as the worst mmo-launch of all time, Vanguard: SoH. Everything else seems 2 dimensional and lifeless when I try to play them.

I really hope that this new project pans out as he has the creative ability. Just make he stays in front of a keyboard, not a calculator.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by azarhal
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by teddyboy420
    This is interesting b/c last I heard Brad was @ SoE again working on the EQ2 and/or EQNext team(s). Wonder what happened there.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/10/brad-mcquaid-working-on-secret-mmo-since-leaving-soe/

Going by that article, I have the impression that SOE is going to end up "publishing" this MMO (if it ever release). Brad pushed his idea to Smedley who was excited about it.

Thats not exactly bad news.   SoE certainly doesnt have the money to support the project, but they have the technical ability to publish it.  This will free up most of the money to go directly into development

Sounds very familiar... Let me see... SOE is "publishing" it.  Next thing you know Vanguard is a failure, SOE buys it, Sigil goes under, people loose jobs and Brad gets hired on by SOE.  I'm sure I'm missing a few things, its been a few years and I've slept since then so I'm sure I am remembering something wrong.  /shrug  BM wont see a dime from me.  I wouldn't hire him to scrub my toilets much less be in charge of developing an MMO again.

I ask myself, how desperate were those willing to work with him again given his lack of success by himself.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Big bad Brad was great in the creation of Everquest 1.  But he is the worst person in the world to manage and create his own MMO.  He completely bungled every aspect of Vanguards development and pretty much ran away from the problem after selling the company to SOE.

If he is working on EQ projects I'm behind him 100%, solo work not so much.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Talk about the ghost of Vanguard past coming back to bite you on the butt.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    If Brad McQuaid is working on a new MMO I would run very far away from that MMO. If he is still working in the game industry it is NOT something that should be advertized.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

the guy is a talent, so he's not irrelevant. a lot of people have been wanting to play the kind of mmo he would probably create. another reason he is not irrelevant.

having said that, he has had addiction problems. he is not a competent manager.

and as for dbaggery, i dont think you can get much more than firing your employees without notice while standing in the parking lot. this is what bothers me here. you want to give him a second chance, hell, i want to as well, but there are a lot of people he did some serious damage to, not just a game.

i don't think a KS is going to be good for this project right now. a lot of people are going to want to see a product first, before they believe him again.

and is that really all that unfair?

forgiveness is a gift, trust is earned.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Somebody beginning work on a classic MMORPG in 2013? Why bother? EQ2 was a fairly good MMORPG initially. So was FFXI, WoW,  and even Vanguard wasn't bad. Even League of Legends was good at the start.  Why are these games nothing like they were at the start now? The way I see it, the market for this type of game has dried up. If all the old ones have changed, and the only way you can justify the style is in a new game, why bother? I  have to assume it is just leverage to make a few bucks off the nostalgic crowd. To clarify, the very idea of constantly making new games to appeal to a minority of people who appreciate an older style of game seems to work against itself. If a classic EQ2 server can't be made and draw tens of thousands of people, the market is not there. But by all means, invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into shiny new graphics and sound for people who merely want what already exists. In my mind the people you will attract, if it is beyond what a classic second-generation MMORPG server can attract, will just be fair-weather customers.
  • AnskierAnskier Member UncommonPosts: 59

Surprised no has mentioned this but lets ignore for a moment anything else about Brad and his mmo

How does he expect to fund this through kickstarter? Camelot unchained got about 2 million and Pathfinder Online 1 million, 1.3 if you count the demo kickstarter. Does he expect to get massively more then this? It seems unlikely to me.

Even Project Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera only got about 4 million each and frankly I'm a bit dubious about what they will be able to do with it for a single player rpg (Though admittedly hopeful). That's with established teams and management working on it.

A mmo is going to be more expensive, probably much more expensive then a single player RPG. Not only do you need to make a compelling experience but you need to pay a lot more attention to things like balance, replayability, longevity, endgame content, etc, etc. Then you need to make a infrastructure both hardware and code for the networking of it, a very non-trivial task. Add this into you are making a new team and management to do this and I sincerely doubt you will be able to do so with the money you get from kickstarter.

I think kickerstarter is a poor platform to fund mmos in general as they tend to be more massive and expensive then the platform seems to currently be bearing. If you are using it to add a extra revenue stream to other sources of funding, which to make a good mmo I would think would need to be considerably more then a kickstarter would get, then it just seems like a cash grab to me and sort of has a slimy vibe to it

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
    The last great defender of the way we use to play.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Vutar

GW2 hasn't been relevant in a  year yet you still have it in your signature.

You can close your eyes, but that doesn't make things actually disappear.