Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Brad McQuaid Planning Mysterious MMO KickStarter

1235»

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    Originally posted by EndoRoboto
    Man alive MMO gamers are jaded. Maybe you guys need a new genre to complain about.

Tell that to the Sigil employees that were stiffed and fired in a parking lot.  A parking lot.

Tell that to SOE who forced the game out 8 months ahead of schedule, the same week as Burning Crusade, and then shelved the game and never promoted it again?

Blame Brad all you want, but it doesn't make it relavent or true.

Vanguard was DOA no matter what soe did.  If soe hadn't intervened and pumped their money into Vanguard, there would never have been a game released.  Period.  Sigil pissed away all the money MS gave them and soe only gave them enough to make it to the eventual release date.  So if you mean soe wouldn't fund this turd for months and months without seeing a return on their investment, then yeah, I guess they "forced" Vanguard to release early.image  The only ones to blame for the state Vanguard released in is McQuaid and Sigil.

There were also reports at the time that Smed didn't know how "unfinished" Vanguard was when he bought it and Sigil out, and was fairly upset about it afterwards. (Awww... poor Smed.)

It was then pushed out very quickly, in barely working condition, just to pay for the continued development, which slowed way down after just a few more months. Allegedly, because SOE didn't want to spend any more money on the "pig in a poke" that Smed bought.

(There was another rumor that Raph Koster tried to buy a controlling interest in Vanguard, at one point, but Smed was not interested.)

Doesn't matter now really, aside from the fact that the game was very unfinished after years and several 10s of $mils in production spending. And that was on Sigil and McQuaid.

What was that quote from that Guy Richie movie? "Never trust a junkie." Yeah....

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Finally we'll get the real Everquest Next!
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I would be more likely to support this game if I was unaware of Brad's involvement.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Alalala
    I would be more likely to support this game if I was unaware of Brad's involvement.

You'd be more interested in an EverQuest style game if the guy that invented EverQuest wasn't involved?....

Originally posted by Burntvet
    Man alive MMO gamers are jaded. Maybe you guys need a new genre to complain about.

Tell that to the Sigil employees that were stiffed and fired in a parking lot.  A parking lot.

Tell that to SOE who forced the game out 8 months ahead of schedule, the same week as Burning Crusade, and then shelved the game and never promoted it again?

Vanguard was DOA no matter what soe did.  If soe hadn't intervened and pumped their money into Vanguard, there would never have been a game released.  Period.  Sigil pissed away all the money MS gave them and soe only gave them enough to make it to the eventual release date.  So if you mean soe wouldn't fund this turd for months and months without seeing a return on their investment, then yeah, I guess they "forced" Vanguard to release early.image  The only ones to blame for the state Vanguard released in is McQuaid and Sigil.

There were also reports at the time that Smed didn't know how "unfinished" Vanguard was when he bought it and Sigil out, and was fairly upset about it afterwards. (Awww... poor Smed.)

It was then pushed out very quickly, in barely working condition, just to pay for the continued development, which slowed way down after just a few more months. Allegedly, because SOE didn't want to spend any more money on the "pig in a poke" that Smed bought.

(There was another rumor that Raph Koster tried to buy a controlling interest in Vanguard, at one point, but Smed was not interested.)

Doesn't matter now really, aside from the fact that the game was very unfinished after years and several 10s of $mils in production spending. And that was on Sigil and McQuaid.

SoE basically burried the game after they bought it. The ghost team they had working on it spent 80% of their time working on a trial island that more or less put the worst elements of the game on display and broke the game world/split up the players more. The other 20% was split between bug fixing, and converting all the interesting features into WoW clone features.

SoE never advertised Vanguard, never mentioned it at SoE Fanfaire. Never tried to relaunch it. Never gave them more than a skeleton crew to man it. And why would they? If Vanguard got big, it would just take subs from EverQuest, a net loss of money.

But the game is still alive because, despite how unfinished it is, and how little it is worked on (none at all) the incredible quality of the game keeps players coming back.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

SoE basically burried the game after they bought it. The ghost team they had working on it spent 80% of their time working on a trial island that more or less put the worst elements of the game on display and broke the game world/split up the players more. The other 20% was split between bug fixing, and converting all the interesting features into WoW clone features.

SoE never advertised Vanguard, never mentioned it at SoE Fanfaire. Never tried to relaunch it. Never gave them more than a skeleton crew to man it. And why would they? If Vanguard got big, it would just take subs from EverQuest, a net loss of money.

But the game is still alive because, despite how unfinished it is, and how little it is worked on (none at all) the incredible quality of the game keeps players coming back.

You still seem to be ignoring the fact that if it weren't for soe Vanguard would never have been released.  The only reason you were able to play at all is because of soe.  There's a good reason they left it to rot on the vine.  The game was a bug infested steaming pile of shit.  With MMOs you only get one chance to get it right.  If it launces in the state Vanguard did, then it's pretty much game over.  I'm honestly surprised soe has kept it running as long as it has.  This game should have been killed off years ago.  No one plays it and its one of the biggest disappointments and failures in MMO history.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

You still seem to be ignoring the fact that if it weren't for soe Vanguard would never have been released.  The only reason you were able to play at all is because of soe.  There's a good reason they left it to rot on the vine.  The game was a bug infested steaming pile of shit. 

Pile of shit... you sound slightly bitter. If it was so bad, it wouldn't have so many passionate fans.

And as to it not existing without SoE, that is complete conjecture on your part. Without SoE another company might have picked it up and actually groomed it to be their money making franchise, rather than ignoring it and leaving it to rot. I can make up alternate histories too.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242

You still seem to be ignoring the fact that if it weren't for soe Vanguard would never have been released.  The only reason you were able to play at all is because of soe.  There's a good reason they left it to rot on the vine.  The game was a bug infested steaming pile of shit.  With MMOs you only get one chance to get it right.  If it launces in the state Vanguard did, then it's pretty much game over.  I'm honestly surprised soe has kept it running as long as it has.  This game should have been killed off years ago.  No one plays it and its one of the biggest disappointments and failures in MMO history.

Thank you for sharing your "Expert" opinion. Those of us playing right now are very pleased to know that we're "No one...".

• ScrogdogScrogdog Member Posts: 380

I haven't been active in an MMO for a couple of years now.  I don't think much of the recent releases, no offense to those that enjoy them, MMOs just aren't made for me anymore.

Still, I do lurk here occasionally, you know, just in case.

I won't be kickstarting this project, that's for sure, but no harm keeping an eye on it.  You know, just in case. :)

Got nothing to lose.

You still seem to be ignoring the fact that if it weren't for soe Vanguard would never have been released.  The only reason you were able to play at all is because of soe.  There's a good reason they left it to rot on the vine.  The game was a bug infested steaming pile of shit. 

Pile of shit... you sound slightly bitter. If it was so bad, it wouldn't have so many passionate fans.

And as to it not existing without SoE, that is complete conjecture on your part. Without SoE another company might have picked it up and actually groomed it to be their money making franchise, rather than ignoring it and leaving it to rot. I can make up alternate histories too.

The game WAS a bug infested pile of shit when it was released.  It took quite awhile for soe to sort things out.  And unless you can come up with a source showing ANYONE else was seriously interested in Vanguard before soe took over, feel free to post some links, otherwise I stand by what I said about the game not existing if it weren't for soe.  BTW, I'm calling shenanigans on VG having anything resembling significant numbers of "passionate fans".  Vocal, but ultimately insignificant in numbers.

Originally posted by Hanthos

Thank you for sharing your "Expert" opinion. Those of us playing right now are very pleased to know that we're "No one...".

Sorry, not directed at the few people still playing.  But I think you knew that.  Would you be more happy with "an insignificant number of people" rather than "no one"?  Point still stands.  Vanguard has been perpetually on life support since its release.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

...Without SoE another company might have picked it up and actually groomed it to be their money making franchise, rather than ignoring it and leaving it to rot. I can make up alternate histories too.

Brilliant dagger thrust; difficult angle. (nicely said).

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Hanthos

Sorry, not directed at the few people still playing.  But I think you knew that.  Would you be more happy with "an insignificant number of people" rather than "no one"?  Point still stands.  Vanguard has been perpetually on life support since its release.

You sound like an EA executive.