Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Say Something Nice about SotA

We should say something nice about Shroud of the Avatar. Let us prove to the rest of the online community that MMORPG are not just a group of haters and find something nice to say for once.

Today, I shall compliment the combat system concept. At first, I thought this would be terrible, but slowly over time as I get more information it becomes much more interesting to me. Even the fact that I am an evil foaming at the mouth PK, this system still does have its appeal, and I can't wait to test it out in Alpha.

Comments

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I don't have much in the way of expectations for this game but Garriott always will have a special place in my heart. I cut my teeth on Akalabeth and later the Ultima games and they really helped drive my love of games. UO was unfortunately one of the most disappointing games of my gaming career and I am afraid to get pumped for SOTA because of that.

• InsaneMembraneInsaneMembrane Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by Ender4

I don't have much in the way of expectations for this game but Garriott always will have a special place in my heart. I cut my teeth on Akalabeth and later the Ultima games and they really helped drive my love of games. UO was unfortunately one of the most disappointing games of my gaming career and I am afraid to get pumped for SOTA because of that.

The really good thing about this game is that it is not really anywhere close to UO in terms of a game. 

Key differences:

SotA actually has a story, lol.

Combat is optional, so us mad PKs can't get you unless you opt into the combat system via game mechanics.

Those two points alone make a totally different and superior game.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

Well, it's... uhhh....

It's....

It's not Ultima 9!

That's about as positive as I can get about anything involving Greedy Garriott at this point.

Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

Well, it's... uhhh....

It's....

It's not Ultima 9!

That's about as positive as I can get about anything involving Greedy Garriott at this point.

Well at least that is something, it isn't Ultima 9 :)

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    F2P :)

gameplay > graphics

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

The reason we are saying things is because we want things to change for the better.

I have been a supporter of SotA for the longest time. In fact, all my previous posts have defended Garriott & co when others attacked him. I was in fact ON YOUR SIDE many times. But I have now seen the light.

I simply cannot condone this level of cash-shoppery and money-grubbing. And you shouldn't either.

If we say nothing we lose- the consumer just gets stepped on. But if we say something (politely), we might, just might effect change.

So why don't you join us then in voicing our concerns to the SotA team? You of all people should be the one to do it given that they ousted you from their community.

Originally posted by superconducting

The reason we are saying things is because we want things to change for the better.

I have been a supporter of SotA for the longest time. In fact, all my previous posts have defended Garriott & co when others attacked him. I was in fact ON YOUR SIDE many times. But I have now seen the light.

I simply cannot condone this level of cash-shoppery and money-grubbing. And you shouldn't either.

If we say nothing we lose- the consumer just gets stepped on. But if we say something (politely), we might, just might effect change.

So why don't you join us then in voicing our concerns to the SotA team? You of all people should be the one to do it given that they ousted you from their community.

I can understand your point of view, especially if this continued AFTER the game went live(or silly win items before it goes live also), creating a microtransaction base for pay to win. However at the moment I choose to simply believe they are raising money.

Keeping on the OT of saying something nice about SotA: Who is to say they didn't give me fair warning that what I was doing was going to get me banned? They gave me plenty of warnings, probably too many, and their rules even if I don't like them. 

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

It seems to be attempting to take MMO concepts back to RPG roots with single player experiences highlighted by multiplayer "experiences" instead of being a chore or grind and more like an adventure.

Whether the living world can be fleshed out to be coherent and have depth has yet to be seen, but the concept is sound and is truly the direction the genre needs to be going in.

Originally posted by Braindome

It seems to be attempting to take MMO concepts back to RPG roots with single player experiences highlighted by multiplayer "experiences" instead of being a chore or grind and more like an adventure.

Whether the living world can be fleshed out to be coherent and have depth has yet to be seen, but the concept is sound and is truly the direction the genre needs to be going in.

Thanks Braindome, I agree also that is the direction the genre needs to be headed. I hope they can push past these Gen-Y players and get this done!

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I'm really looking forward to this game. in fact, it's the first game I've ever supported through Kickstarter. I still have faith in Garriott.

One of the best things about this game is that is doesn't have the stench of John Smedley, Mark Jacobs, or Brad McQuiaid anywhere near it. That alone makes it worth watching.

• KwipsiclesKwipsicles Member Posts: 6

Say something nice about this game...?

I hope it succeeds well enough to make Gariott enough money to go to space and stay there. :)

• BilgatoBilgato Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Not a lot of games offer a 'class-less' system, I've killed off and re-rolled a lot of toons  due to not being happy with the mechanics or game-play.
    Originally posted by Bilgato
    Not a lot of games offer a 'class-less' system, I've killed off and re-rolled a lot of toons  due to not being happy with the mechanics or game-play.

Yeah, this is true. A lot of more recent games have started microtransactions to get this done too which is not very cool at all either.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

Well, beside the "pay to win" housing system which still makes me worry, there are many good points to this game.

- Lord British, along with Tracy Hickman for the story!

- No classes (BIG plus for me).

- Sandbox.

- No "!" over the heads, but talk to the NPCs.

So even if the housing thing ruins the multiplayer part, I hope the story mode will be solid and as fun as the old Ultima RPG were. If just that is true, it will be worth owning this game.

Originally posted by Ender4

When Akalabeth was released, you were 8 years old.

An 8 year old kid owning a computer (back then it was utterly expensive), able to find Akalabeth which had only a very limited sale (and there was no broadband back then to download stuff) and playing such a rather complex game... I'm impressed.

My computer is better than yours.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Pretty much backed it to play the single player story and am still hopeful that that'll be good. If the MMO part is also decent it'll just  be a bonus for me at least as a sandbox to play around in until Pathfinder Online Early Enrollment  comes out  
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    First MMO in ages that actually seems to want to return the RPG into MMORPGs.
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Possibly because it's not exactly a -MMO- RPG, but maybe that's the price to pay and I really don't mind. Actually, to me, if I'm able to play "privately" - more or less - with likeminded people and friends, it's a big plus for immersion.

My computer is better than yours.

Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Possibly because it's not exactly a -MMO- RPG, but maybe that's the price to pay and I really don't mind. Actually, to me, if I'm able to play "privately" - more or less - with likeminded people and friends, it's a big plus for immersion.

Yeah, the OPO feature which will match you with friends or a group of likeminded players is the jewel of this game. If that works well, it will probably make or break it.

I think the age grouping is something that will make a huge difference.

How many games do you find that you might like but the average age of the players is 12 to 16 or 16 to 21?

I'm 45, I have nothing against younger players but also have nothing in common with them either, and I'm sure most of them don't have much in common with a guy their dad's age. There are a lot of decent younger players but in general I get on better with the "over 30" crowd.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Bilgato

I think the age grouping is something that will make a huge difference.

How many games do you find that you might like but the average age of the players is 12 to 16 or 16 to 21?

We have the same age, but you may be surprised to learn that the average age of the MMO player is over 30.

It's another occurence of the "loud vocal minority", aka a few bad apples can ruin the whole basket.

I've heard that (30+), and I do agree with the vocal minority issue.lol

Sometimes I like the simpler, less complex games (most of the time actually), and I believe the adults there have to keep an extremely low profile in order to not be mistaken as pedophiles.

My wife and I played a game called Luna Online for quite a while, 'til it closed down. You could play from a top-down view like Diablo and UO or 3rd person and the class system was pretty in depth. But the animation style was so cutsie/chibi it attracted a lot of loud and obnoxious kids (was F2P too).

SoTA might eliminate a lot of that .

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

I think it's nice of Dick to let his customers know up front that, if you aren't willing and able to spend hundreds of $$ on the digital snake oil he's selling, he's more than willing to lock you out of key features & treat you as a second class citizen, even after obtaining what little was given under false pretenses.

Note: I'm not begrudging people the use or attainment of their money; I know that contrary to what politicians want people to think these days that most of those well off financially work very hard for it. I'm merely pointing out Dick's apathetic & outright exclusionary treatment of those who can't / won't spend large amounts of $$.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Sorry, but alot of you that think this game might detour the younger players couldn't be more wrong. The thing that attracts younger players is  F2P with a cash shop and when the kiddies get allowance from mom and dad they hit it up, it is a great formula cause it works and this game is set to attract that kind of gamer.

It's good for making money and though there is nothing wrong with making money...lol, alot of times integrity is compromised and especially since kids in general don't understand the value of their money.

I think this game has some really good ideas and hopefully Garriott is keeping the old school core gamer at heart, but if you think it will be youngster proof then you are wrong.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    its nostalgic.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Braindome

Sorry, but alot of you that think this game might detour the younger players couldn't be more wrong. The thing that attracts younger players is  F2P with a cash shop and when the kiddies get allowance from mom and dad they hit it up, it is a great formula cause it works and this game is set to attract that kind of gamer.

It's good for making money and though there is nothing wrong with making money...lol, alot of times integrity is compromised and especially since kids in general don't understand the value of their money.

I think this game has some really good ideas and hopefully Garriott is keeping the old school core gamer at heart, but if you think it will be youngster proof then you are wrong.

Really? How many parents are going to help their kid(s) spending $500 just to get a virtual home in a video game? I, for sure, would tell my own to go back to their duties and homework, and think about real future instead of virtual property.

The kids will be there but not buying houses or anything expensive, but they will be there. They will be into the "Lord of The Flies" PvP and RPing as far as they understand it (college RP, and "Family" RP  ie, playing big kids at the university and house). Now with the play-style slider thingie, you'll be able to tune most of them out mostly, but they'll still be there somewhere...

It might be interesting to adjust your slider to check on them occasionally just to see what's going on...It's like the Uncanny Valley version of the "real" game.

*How do I know? I've played a lot of games...lol

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Say something nice?  

Hopefully it will make enough money to launch Richard Garriott back into space.  

That's all I got.