Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guide to Not Much At All

lowradslowrads Member UncommonPosts: 200

I'm terribly sorry.  The guide that was here before is no longer really relevant to the existing game.  However, I will not be creating an updated one in it's place.  I cannot in good conscience use this to direct people to this product.

Unfortunately, CCP has introduced RMT through their own central system.  They are not the company they once were, nor is EVE the product or experience it once was.

Many things I can accept.  RMT is not the worst thing in the world.  I was an EVE player, and I still love the old EVE.  A little greediness doesn't bother me (Hey, I was an EVE player! Market capitalism ftw! ), the EULA covers their action, and it perhaps even makes a little sense.  However, when the developer does something like this Station Exchange business, it is a halcyon signal they they are no longer interested in developing the project for it's own sake.

Previously, when we subscribed, we bought a ticket to an ongoing experiment to see if it was possible to make the idea EVE work.  We could overlook a million shortcomings and promises of vapourware when we had the idea that someone was a partner to us in this dream.  You didn't have to agree with every change to appreciate it.  Now EVE has been reduced to a Disneyland ride.   Something difficult to point to, but vital, is missing. 

I believed for the longest time that the developers put their little world on a pedestal.  For us players, it was like we got to do more than just look through the window.  By participating, we were able to help paint the picture.  We helped set the diorama with our ideas and communities as much as we moved the pieces around.  Now things are irrevocably different. 

The closest analogy I can think of is like seeing your favorite church sealed up behind a wall of plexiglass.   I will always be EVE's #1 fanboi, but I don't have a name for this new imitator.  I didn't want to play EVE, I wanted to be a part of EVE, to be part of the game for other people.  

I'm sure "EVE: The Window Shopping Experience" is going to be decent, but I just can't help promote it.  You can unsticky this now.

This isn't a quit post.  We are ALL quitting the real EVE project.  I may stay subscribed to gank everyone, but I will not be playing with the same attitude with which I used to, nor striving to contribute.  EVE is no longer a dream, only a distraction, and I intend to treat it that way. 

Comments

• MrPopovMrPopov Member Posts: 217

This is a fun read. /me wants to form a small raiding party and just feck all and have fun :)

• ThatonedudeThatonedude Member Posts: 10
    THX for the info!!image

Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die.
    -Herbert Hoover

• scars87scars87 Member Posts: 234

nice post

VERY NIVE VERY NICE !!!!!!

-Herbert Hoover

• maxmollymaxmolly Member Posts: 1
    lowrads,  thanks for  taking the time to write such an informative and funny post.
  • MrPopovMrPopov Member Posts: 217

Originally posted by maxmolly
    lowrads,  thanks for  taking the time to write such an informative and funny post.

Agreed. Anyone wanting to get their time's worth from the 14-day trial needs to read this post.

Then when you are done with the in-game tutorial, read this post.

After your first day or two and you feel like mining or agent running, READ THIS POST!

EDIT: Actually I did want to add that the executioner (Amarr frig) is not that bad. in a squad of 2 or 3 they can be very effective belt hunters. they are fast and the patch gave them a much needed additional med slot. Only problem can be gunnery, it's hard to fit a pair of medium pulse so go with the dual light pulses ::::28::

personnally i didnt like the game much it was very dissapointing image

EDIT: stil thx for taking ur time and writing all the  usefull info image

-Herbert Hoover

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    I wanted to do a pre-emptive bump on this thread because it has been a few days since someone posted, "14-day review of EVE and it sux" thread.
  • eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

Isn't it rather ignorant to tell a day one newbie to not to the tutorial and jump right into PvP where they will be totally destroyed in a matter of seconds after engaging any ship at all? Seems so to me.

You give the price tag of nearly 400k ISK in order to start this grand adventure, but seem to have forgotten that newbies start with 5000 ISK. Where do you suggest they get this 400k PER SHIP THEY WILL LOSE to enjoy the wonders of PvP from the very beginning? If they are smart and don't listen to you, they'll end up making about 700k or so off their Training/Storyline missions after finishing the tutorial. They'll also get an implant they can foolishly sell for at least another few hundred thousand ISK, enough to be comfortably fitted in their new ship, like the ones you mentioned, and have the faction standing in order to start a few agent combat missions to gain experience with combat. Better done against rats than gankers and greifers.

It's nice that you want to help newbies, and I'm sure there's a small group of players, mostly the MMORPG hoppers that jump into a game greif and gank for a few weeks than move on, that might enjoy suicidal PvP from the beginning, but someone who's looking for a game to enjoy for years to come won't want to start this way.

If you want to help, teach a newbie how to learn about their ships, modules and skills. How to actually play the game. How to get by on extremely limited funds, and earn their own cash. Not how to suicide scramble a battleship in 0.0.

Originally posted by eoweth

Isn't it rather ignorant to tell a day one newbie to not to the tutorial and jump right into PvP where they will be totally destroyed in a matter of seconds after engaging any ship at all? Seems so to me.
    You give the price tag of nearly 400k ISK in order to start this grand adventure, but seem to have forgotten that newbies start with 5000 ISK. Where do you suggest they get this 400k PER SHIP THEY WILL LOSE to enjoy the wonders of PvP from the very beginning? If they are smart and don't listen to you, they'll end up making about 700k or so off their Training/Storyline missions after finishing the tutorial. They'll also get an implant they can foolishly sell for at least another few hundred thousand ISK, enough to be comfortably fitted in their new ship, like the ones you mentioned, and have the faction standing in order to start a few agent combat missions to gain experience with combat. Better done against rats than gankers and greifers.
    It's nice that you want to help newbies, and I'm sure there's a small group of players, mostly the MMORPG hoppers that jump into a game greif and gank for a few weeks than move on, that might enjoy suicidal PvP from the beginning, but someone who's looking for a game to enjoy for years to come won't want to start this way.
    If you want to help, teach a newbie how to learn about their ships, modules and skills. How to actually play the game. How to get by on extremely limited funds, and earn their own cash. Not how to suicide scramble a battleship in 0.0.

Did you read the whole post?  Absolutely nothing you said here makes any sense.  First, he did say to do the tutorial.  Second, the reason this post was made was because about every 2 weeks someone comes in here and says, "I just did the 14 day trial and EVE sucks."  After some inquisition from people here they find out all that person did was go solo missions or Veldspar mining runs for 14 days.  Third, he said starting out would be tough and targets should be picked according to your abilities, nowhere did he mention even trying to take on a BS except in a gang.  He also mentioned that money was going to be a factor and due to high probability of loss, you should not get the best gear.

I for one have done this in a Condor, on a newb character just to see if it would work.  It took me 2 days and 250-300k isk (earned easily on missions on the first day) to get the skills, the ship, and the gear.  Condor with light blaster, rocket launcher, webifier or scrambler (depending on camp), afterburner, small nostafaru and a CPU.  I only attacked other frigates, shuttles, miners and indies in 0.4 space.  Currently this is an ongoing project of mine and am considering moving up to using a destroyer.  I have found that I either die nearly immediately or end up with the upper hand when I can close under their ability to track.  Overall this project has cost me about 1 million isk, all easily earned through missions in the beginning and off some minor loot that sold well.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

When I was a newbie (back in Castor times), it took me about 5 hours to mine enough veldspar to buy an Imicus (Gallente mining frigate). After I got my Imicus, it took me maybe a week of skill training and mining to hop into a Tristan (which I promptly lost rat-hunting). It's definitely much easier to make isk nowadays, though I miss seeing omber in secure space (back then, in 0.5 there would always be around 7-8 omber roids per belt).

• DraigCochDraigCoch Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by eoweth

Er....did you even bother to READ what he had to say? I have done pretty much as he advised a few months back just to see if this sort of thing really was possible, and to try out the revamped tutorial. I mainly wanted to check out the new tutorial, to validly comment on anyone here bringing it up.

After doing tutorial and first storyline, I sold the implant for 1.6 million. That was me set for cash.  I run a few missions to get used to my ship, tweak the setup slightly, and generally get a few more isk while I waited on some skills to train up. Within my first 5 days I had got a Merlin, equipped it with fairly basic gear, gone to the nearest  0.4 and killed my 1st two miners. Had a lucky break as one of them was carrying an Alpha hull cargo expander, which promptly sold for 4.5mill.

Following day I lost the Merlin (tried to take out a cruiser mining, who promptly eat my ship with his drones) I was still better off cash wise. Stayed in the merlin (yeah I could have got a better ship but didn't see the need) went back out about an hour later (after re-quipping) and killed another miner. No real profit from his crap gear so stuffed what I could in my cargo bay and melted it.  That got me about 50k. Hey, it all adds up right? Never podded anyone while doing this to at least try and keep my sec hits manageable.

Trained up for a level one hauler, parked it in my most often used 0.4 system. Didn't do much rest of the day really just didn't seem to have much luck finding easy enough kills.

All this was solo, as it was a bit of an experiment/sideline for me.

Never had time to play the guy after that, RL and my mains got in the way before the 14 day trial ended, but it was fun while it lasted. Should I ever decide to get a 3rd account, it might very well be in order to try my hand at the darker side of EvE. It is possible to do it in the 14 days. It was fun, but not really my style of play right now (killing helpless miners/haulers isn't really my thing) but it can easily be done. All you need is the balls to try it, a bit of luck, and it can be done.

• RagoschRagosch Member Posts: 727

Originally posted by Ranma13

When I was a newbie (back in Castor times), it took me about 5 hours to mine enough veldspar to buy an Imicus (Gallente mining frigate). After I got my Imicus, it took me maybe a week of skill training and mining to hop into a Tristan (which I promptly lost rat-hunting). It's definitely much easier to make isk nowadays, though I miss seeing omber in secure space (back then, in 0.5 there would always be around 7-8 omber roids per belt).

I found omber even in 0.7 space - it is still there, but not for long.

Ragosch

• Num43Num43 Member Posts: 21
    Well I got a Trial acount and when I get home(aprox 1 hour) I'll download EVE and try playing acording to this guide;) hope its fun;)

Originally posted by Num43
    Well I got a Trial acount and when I get home(aprox 1 hour) I'll download EVE and try playing acording to this guide;) hope its fun;)

The hardest part if finding someone in space that you actually can attack.  I like playing my pirate alt, but I have gotten to the point where I log in on a certain sector of 0.0-0.3 space to see what is there and if certain people are there I log back onto my main.  If you can find a good sector of space, go for it, but beware of other pirates.

• UbermouserUbermouser Member Posts: 3

I'm a complete newbie to Eve, and just decided to try this out via a 14 day trial.

I pirated in a Rifter - a Minmitar vehicle, quite fast, but packs less armor and staying power. The first kill was downright exciting - it was against another frigate equipped with something that hurt alot. He had gotten me down to half shields by the time I was even in range, but the moment I got there, he didnt even lay a hit on me. Of course he tried to run when he found he couldnt damage me at such close range, but the webifier + the warp stopper thingie did their trick quite well as I flew literal circles around him at 750+ m/s. The EMP rounds didnt seem to have a problem getting through the hull or the armor. I had a short range rocket launcher equipped to my 4th slot, perhaps switch that out for one of those energy leecher things, I believe they're called Nosferatu. Loot was horrible, however. Buncha crap I couldnt use for ~100k and something he was mining.
    I dont particularly understand how the police thing works, since I wasnt attacked when I Went back into civilization. By all means this guide is quite fun, but perhaps fighting anything stronger than a dedicated miner is suicidal.

What do you put in your level 1 slots - the ones with the single bars instead of the double or triple bars? How do you close the range quickly?

• bmj001bmj001 Member Posts: 17

Before I comment anything regarding this post I just wanted to mention that I started playing this game on New Year's eve of 2005 so I've been playing it for over a month and a half now. I've been doing straight out NPC missions and mining and I don't think it's that boring at all. I guess I have a lot of patience and I get my kicks from the fact that everyday of mining and NPC missions I get that much closer to buying the ship that I want (which in this case is the Brutix). And even though I know I won't have this ship forever (I venture to .3 space to see if it's really as bad as people said it was and was podded at the jumpgate) it's stil exciting in my opinion to work towards a common goal and finally achieve that after all the hard work you put in.

My friends are trying to corrupt me though. I have a couple of buddies whom I introduced to the game that want me to make a pirate char and I'm seriously contemplating  the notion because I know I can get an adrenaline rush from that kind of playing style. I know how excited I get when I fight NPC pirates I've never seen before or even the named ones.

I will definitely give this guide some due attention and hopefully it will make the difference between having a blast or being blasted right away. image

• LamethrowerLamethrower Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by bmj001
    Before I comment anything regarding this post I just wanted to mention that I started playing this game on New Year's eve of 2005 so I've been playing it for over a month and a half now. I've been doing straight out NPC missions and mining and I don't think it's that boring at all. I guess I have a lot of patience and I get my kicks from the fact that everyday of mining and NPC missions I get that much closer to buying the ship that I want (which in this case is the Brutix). And even though I know I won't have this ship forever (I venture to .3 space to see if it's really as bad as people said it was and was podded at the jumpgate) it's stil exciting in my opinion to work towards a common goal and finally achieve that after all the hard work you put in.
    My friends are trying to corrupt me though. I have a couple of buddies whom I introduced to the game that want me to make a pirate char and I'm seriously contemplating the notion because I know I can get an adrenaline rush from that kind of playing style. I know how excited I get when I fight NPC pirates I've never seen before or even the named ones.
    I will definitely give this guide some due attention and hopefully it will make the difference between having a blast or being blasted right away. image

Hold up...you mean people actually sit at the warp point and just gank people who come through it as soon as they come through it? And people wonder why this game doesn't have a larger player base...

(For the record, I've not yet played it, but will be giving it a shot...but if it's as you describe and just one giant gankfest or continual PvP to the point where I'm completely restricted as to where I can go, it'll be getting deleted off my system pretty quickly)

• AlgorithmsAlgorithms Member Posts: 6

I disagree with the OP. I think this is the way to a fun trail if you plan on doing PvP. Being the carebare that I am, I would find a trail that followed the path the OP laid out stressful and no fun.

I enjoyed the tutorial, I enjoy mining, I enjoy mission running, I enjoy hunting down trade routes... *shrug*, this post assumes everyone likes PvP and the only reason anyone plays the game is to get in to PvP.

• lowradslowrads Member UncommonPosts: 200

Thanks for all the comments guys.

A couple of things (ok more than a couple) in my first post were a bit off.

For example, I suggested running away from cruisers. This is probably a good idea in the beginning. However, I have found that groups of 3 and sometimes 2 frigates can take on a cruiser if they have long range setups. That is, setups that work just outside of nos range, but within 20km. You have to improve your relevant cap skills a bit to run a 20km warp disrutor -- to III or maybe even IV in some cases. Drones and missiles will still hit in most cases, and you can't really tank, but if it's not a Caracal, there's a good chance they surrendered those missile slots for nos these days. Also, lots of people try to go for the biggest drones possible, which is good for you because those are slower and have worse tracking. Each frig in such a gang has about 25-35dps on average, which is adequate for overcoming most cruiser tanks.

I realize PVP isn't everyone's thing. Some people go for the competition by other means, or compete on the market. Others need a reason to pull the trigger, and others just want a good story, especially a playerbase created story. Many people do get to a point where they feel hemmed in by play style constrictions eventually though. PvP is one of the few routes which people can cooperate to achieve rather than just cooperate for the sake of cooperating, and that is probably the real source of it's popularity.

For me, isk is the narrative, as it is a sort of fiction in its right. I fall into that role because I am willing to let it ride in order to see what will happen. I can't get attached to my character's losses, just as I don't get upset when my alternator needs replacing or my coffee maker has to be replaced. But it does make the victories sweeter.

I don't really just want more isk. I want only that isk that I feel I have really deserved in some way. Special isk I guess. Quality over quantity maybe? Either won it or stole it in my case. If I was a POS or business mastermind, I would be pleased at the numbers in my double-entry ledger for working out to plan rather than unnecessary effort.

I like this quote: "Can you call yourself a coward simply because the courage of others seems to you out of proportion to the triviality of the occasion? Thus wisdom creates cowards. And thus you miss Opportunity while spending your life on the lookout for it. You have to seize Opportunity instinctively, without knowing at the time that it is the Opportunity (for self? for amor fati? a critical something certainly). ... But suppose you passed up the the Opportunity because you felt it was inadequate?" -Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum"

• BerikBerik Member Posts: 3

where do u get that implant u were talking about? i did the tutorial but didnt get it

Everyone is entitled to my opinion

• OttoRoxYouOttoRoxYou Member Posts: 4

Sounds fun.::::04::

• lowradslowrads Member UncommonPosts: 200

You get the implant on the second half of the tutorial. It's a reward at the last of the 7-10 event agents to whom your starting mentor-agent refers you.

Just don't sell it for any old price. List it at about what others list it as under sell orders or escrow. Might take longer, but usually not too long if you price it a little bit lower than others.

• BerikBerik Member Posts: 3
    but u said not to do the agent missions

Everyone is entitled to my opinion

• flaxalfflaxalf Member Posts: 7

Is EVE just a big gankfest? From reading the threads here it seems that way. I'm not very interested in PvP. The idea that EVE is a gankfest is keeping me away from this game.

I'm playing WoW no and am getting bored with the end game. I also prefer to solo or small groups as much as possible. I'm at the point in WoW where it is all endless 20 to 40 person instance runs, which I found out that I hate with a passion. 2 to 5 persons co-operating on a quest was fun, but instances suck. In WoW the person with the Ubergear wins, no skill, no strategy.

I'm looking for a game where you don't HAVE to PvP. Where there is other ways to advance and make money in the game.