Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF a sandbox mmo (i know common thread) but please read and help

TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

I am currently Playing FFXIV and I am enjoying it but I also want to branch out for a sanbox MMO. I just do not know which one.

I did Darkfall and I am not a fan. I could never get into EvE either.

I do not care how old, indie, ugly, the mmo is but I want to make sure it still has a decent playerbase so there are people in-game to play with.

I am a big fan of discovery/environments so that is a plus. Not a fan of the 'anime style' so no thanks with that. Anyway...I used to play Fallen Earth but since it went F2P (i also didn't play it for too long) it couldn't hold my attention. I would much prefer a P2P and not F2P. Anyway...figured I would post. your thoughts would help. 

Comments

• lqw6843128lqw6843128 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Wurm Online
  • MaurizioMaurizio Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Wurm online for a sandbox. Somewhat has a feel like darkfall with the sieging but different and much more reason to do so. Lots of crafting content and building content. Politics PvP pve crafting tight knit communities.

If you decide to check it out you can actually play for free but your skills cap at 20. Hit me up and I'll be more then happy to show you around and give you a little history insight about the game.
  • goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Wait for elite dangerous
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Ryzom?

It is stylized but I wouldn't say it's anime. It was originally created by a french company if I'm not mistaken.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Ryzom could work, I never could get into it myself.

You could try The Secret World. It definitely has sandbox elements to it though I wouldn't strictly call it one.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    There really isnt any sandbox games worth investing a lot of time into out there atm OP.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Vendetta Online

With a bullet: most people I've seen here who write that they don't like Darkfall use the reason that it includes Open World Player versus Player (OWPvP) mechanics.  Vendetta has that.  People here who write that they don't like Eve often use the reason that they can't relate to "being a spaceship" (which isn't really... accurate).  Vendetta has that, also.

Otherwise, it is a sandbox, and it is currently "Pay to Play".

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    The secret world isn't a sandbox.

Eve and wushu seem the most popular sandboxes.

Then if you can get in there's the starbound beta and the elite alpha.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by karmath
    There really isnt any sandbox games worth investing a lot of time into out there atm OP.

agree

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Wurm Online is a totally sandbox game, it's not a hybrid like Wushu and others it's a total sandbox mmo.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Wurm Online is fine if you dont mind 1995 graphics and not being able to find any land to build on.
  • elthznd901elthznd901 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Wurm Online is fine if you dont mind 1995 graphics and not being able to find any land to build on.

I have played Eve, Darkfall, etc.. etc..   love sandbox games.  Wurm online is definitely a true sandbox.  All of those games are great games for various aspects.. real sandbox though.. Wurm is it.  The graphics arent super.. but at the same time they arent game killing.. in fact some of the scenary is decent.  

I havent played on every server, but there is tons of space to build.. so not sure where Theo's coming from.

If you like more excitement try chaos or epic.  The tutorial isnt anything to write home about.. dont judge the game on that.. get in game and play it a bit.. very in depth.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Not sure why you mentioned F2P with regards to Fallen Earth.  It is probably the least pay to win F2P model out there. 

I played for about 8 months and only spent $ 9.99 for a "commanders best crafting kit"   Which is essentially 9 extra bag spaces.  And by purchasing that one item I was given 3 character slots and some improvements to game play.  I max levelled a character to 55 with just that.  I wanted to spend more money actually because I really enjoyed the game, but just couldn't find anything I really needed.  The entire game is available as F2P. 

No reason to spend money unless you really want to.  Pretty decent pop when I last played too.  Only one server pretty much guarantees that.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!