Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Life is Feudal- abit like how MO and Darkfall should have been?

deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/life-is-feudal

they just launched their kickstarter and the game looks very promising,

the fact that they have free to place housing and crafting/gathering mini games in from the start sounds great, also the realistic nature of the combat and setting and also terraforming akin to wurm.

What do you guys think to it?

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Comments

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    It looks very good on paper but I really think the combat at least is going to be buggy and unpolished. I really really hope I"m wrong because conceptually it all seems amazing.
  • ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Way too complex for my taste. I want my game to be a simplified simulation with lots of possibilities, not an overly complex second life. In the end, when it comes to MMOs, nobody's going to care whether you are hit in the arm, was it blunt damage or slashing. Displaying all that info to player is clutter, all that matters is your health vs enemy's. When you are fighting in MMO, you rarely think where and how you will be hitting, but aim for the head and swing, possibly try blocking too if the game features that.

I'd love a sandbox game that offers the diversity of features, not overly complicated depth to each one. You simulate the real life example only to the extent of it working and being fun, if it isn't necessary for player you don't show the info. But that's personal preferences, I guess. I bet someone can't wait to play a lumberjack, but I've had enough of axe swinging in MO. 

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

LOL, they want 200K euros  in donations for a F2P niche  sandbox MMO game and aren't even using the most popular crowdfunding site and the devs have no prior experience? Yeah, good luck with that.

And yes they want you to literally donate money to them.Most of  the backer rewards are laughable.

I feel kind of bad for them but even apart from all the other issues this will just turn into a complete gankfest like all FFA full loot PvP games do. 

Also,  just noticed the 50 Euro reward is giving you "more land initially on release of the game" . Seems like they are already starting pay to win?

Originally posted by iridescence

LOL, they want 200K euros  in donations for a F2P niche  sandbox MMO game and aren't even using the most popular crowdfunding site and the devs have no prior experience?

To be fair, only US, Canada and UK have access to kickstarter, so unless you know someone there to hold the money for you, you're out of luck. 

• ZeerahaZeeraha Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I like the idea, but 200.000,00$ are not nearly enough to develop any MMO. It seems to me they are not serious enough.
  • raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

way to waste money...This will never work.

Being sandbox doesn't mean it has to be overly complicated and look like shit. Lore and story have an importance and this game seems to have none.

And just because its sandbox doesn't mean you can't have quests.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I think it might work.

There are people out there just want low fantasy setting with none of the magic crap - ie. mount & blade but mmo version.

So this idea might be good.

The crowdfunding part, no so good though.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Originally posted by raff01

Lore and story have an importance and this game seems to have none.

Maybe it's written in advanced Russian!!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Remember how good MO and DF seemed on paper long before their launch, too?

What makes you think LiF will do any better?

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    we don't know how tha game actually is; it looks good on paper (perhaps a bit too tedious) but it's all in the implementation, as always.
  • raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453
    Next great MMO worth waiting is EverQuest Next. Real sandbox features, and awesome quest system but most of all, best lore ever of all MMORPG's but LOTRO
    Originally posted by raff01
    Next great MMO worth waiting is EverQuest Next. Real sandbox features, and awesome quest system but most of all, best lore ever of all MMORPG's but LOTRO

I dunno, I have my hopes up for Asian MMORPGs, of all the unlikely candidates.. Black Desert, ArcheAge, Blade and Soul look rather promising. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Remember how good MO and DF seemed on paper long before their launch, too?

What makes you think LiF will do any better?

I'm with Tom on this one. I haven't seen anything yet to indicate it won't be another Xsyon/DF/MO at release.

Some MMO gamers seem to exist in a bizarrro version of the real world, where "Show Me the Money" is the effective battle cry of the 'indie' developer, not the client. 

Indie Dev:  "Here's my ideas... want it? Yeah you do! How much do you want it, though? Show me the cash and we'll make it. No cash, and you'll never get all these cool features you want, because Evil GlobalDevCorp is just in it for the money, but we're here for YOU! But we need YOUR money to make it. If you don't send it, we can't make it for YOU! Show me the money!" 

then there's always the crowdsource pitch to tack on:

Indie Dev: "You want to see it first? Don't believe we can do it? We hear you and we understand, which is why if you donate X amount, you will be on the list to get guaranteed access into the upcoming alpha test! You'll be able to see it first hand! You can give feedback. You're on the ground floor! Want to decide the future of the game? Guide the development? Show me the money!"

when it should be:

Gamer: "I like the feature list, but I don't want to see your ideas. I can look at the post-it next to my PC if I want to read a wishlist. Want me to open my wallet? Show me working gameplay."

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

There are things about the game that sound really cool, but I suspect that it will have many of the same problems that MO and DF have had. Still, I love sandbox games and wish them success!

It sucks they did not come anywhere close to meeting their indiegogo goal...

• ShyaticShyatic Member Posts: 41

Have people not learned to distrust novice game developers who promise the world and will probably wind up not succeeding?

Games are complex animals, and require not only great talent behind them but a steady cashflow in order to reach milestones and push through setbacks. This is the nature of software development, especially for gaming where the issues are compounded due to multiplayer issues.

If they want this game to launch, pitch it to a publisher, get a good team around it, and build it. Say what you will about Darkfall, but they did this -- they built an engine, got funding, developed the game and launched. It may not be much fun but it was at least functional and worked.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by tom_gore Remember how good MO and DF seemed on paper long before their launch, too? What makes you think LiF will do any better?
    I'm with Tom on this one. I haven't seen anything yet to indicate it won't be another Xsyon/DF/MO at release.

Some MMO gamers seem to exist in a bizarrro version of the real world, where "Show Me the Money" is the effective battle cry of the 'indie' developer, not the client. 

Indie Dev:  "Here's my ideas... want it? Yeah you do! How much do you want it, though? Show me the cash and we'll make it. No cash, and you'll never get all these cool features you want, because Evil GlobalDevCorp is just in it for the money, but we're here for YOU! But we need YOUR money to make it. If you don't send it, we can't make it for YOU! Show me the money!" 

then there's always the crowdsource pitch to tack on:

Indie Dev: "You want to see it first? Don't believe we can do it? We hear you and we understand, which is why if you donate X amount, you will be on the list to get guaranteed access into the upcoming alpha test! You'll be able to see it first hand! You can give feedback. You're on the ground floor! Want to decide the future of the game? Guide the development? Show me the money!"

when it should be:

Gamer: "I like the feature list, but I don't want to see your ideas. I can look at the post-it next to my PC if I want to read a wishlist. Want me to open my wallet? Show me working gameplay."

That crowdsource bit is pretty good. Can I use that bit of copy to push my game idea?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• antiherozeroantiherozero Member UncommonPosts: 76
    [mod edit] that game looks seriously badass.  DFO and MO both failed to deliver pretty hard.  If that game is as stable as it looks from that demo in pre-alpha, then it's already more stable than late mid-late beta DFO was or release MO currently is.  It's probably "not" nearly that solid, like all new MMOs, but they demoed 2 hours of rock steady, polished pre-alpha footage.  What AAA title ever does that?  You typically get little "clips" before editing cut-aways to hide their numerous bugs and unfinished content.  And after reading up on the game from this forum post it's untrue that their team hasn't done anything previously.  Their newest member has a typical game designer resume' and is a younger veteran in the industry.

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."

-Matt Groening